Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Get Off Your High Horse

• 28-06-2012 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

So I've been without work for some time now, I've done college and tried and hated Oz, thats all the background needed.

I get the feeling that some of family members(mainly one) silently judge me, I get a very uneasy/un-nerving feeling when I'm sitting in the room with them.

Sometimes I'm asked to do things for them, which is grand for the most part, but on occasion it can slip my mind, which leads to texts and things said to me, and I don't know if I read too much into them, but they come across as very passive aggressive...

Its not my fault I don't have a job(well I've managed to pick up a few hours here & there in the past month)...

Just at times its horrible and it really shouldn't be, and I think I get this from the one because they have a career and is probably the first in the family to have a career and fair play to them.

But at the moment I'm trying to better myself, for me. As you may be able to tell from my username, I'm off the drink and that's been my choice in an attempt to stop getting myself down from alcohol.

I don't know if I'm over reacting but at times I would just love to up sticks and get away from them and only talk and see them at xmas kinda thing...

So how messed up are your families?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

If you're looking for sympathy, you came to the wrong neighbourhood (forum)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I blame the waltons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Get a job you bum!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

I've observed that there's a correlation between unemployment and moaning about life.

As a moaner, I can attest to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

My family's great.....thanks for asking!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

There are more high horses on boards than there are socks in a Sock drawer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Not looking for an sympathy, just a little venting.

If I posted elsewhere I'd only get unhelpful replies that would be all sympathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Get your own horse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

I was hoping for a good horse story when i saw kfallon replying:(

There are more high horses on boards than there are socks in a Sock drawer.

That depends on the sock drawer. It could be empty

• Advertisement

Not looking for an sympathy, just a little venting.

If I posted elsewhere I'd only get unhelpful replies that would be all sympathy

Yeah, and here you get unhelpful replies that are all unsympathetic :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bonus_Pack

Its not my fault I don't have a job

To be quite blunt, it is. Not everyone who went to Oz or whereever likes working there, but they do it becasue it is necessary. Note the word WORK. It's called work becasue it isn't play.

There are plenty jobs out there for graduates, I finished college in May and was in a job by June 4th. Getting a job is not about flooding the post system with CVs, thats pointless. You must be a little more proactive than that. it's about who you know and contacts.

This sense of entitlement to everything and moaning when it isn't handed to you on a silver plate is what is the worst legacy of the C.T. Your brother/sister realises this and the sooner you realise this, give up moaning and get your act together the better off you'll be.
    If needs be ask your bro for advise on jobs, theres no shame in it. he probably thinks less of you for being a whinge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

That depends on the sock drawer. It could be empty

Then that would just be a drawer wouldn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Fair play on gettin' off the booze by the way. If nothing else it'll save you a few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've a job so I can afford a high horse but the vet bills are a killer

OP, i need my gutters done, if it's any use to you.

Bonus_Pack wrote: »
    To be quite blunt, it is. Not everyone who went to Oz or whereever likes working there, but they do it becasue it is necessary. Note the word WORK. It's called work becasue it isn't play.

There are plenty jobs out there for graduates, I finished college in May and was in a job by June 4th. Getting a job is not about flooding the post system with CVs, thats pointless. You must be a little more proactive than that. it's about who you know and contacts.

This sense of entitlement to everything and moaning when it isn't handed to you on a silver plate is what is the worst legacy of the C.T. Your brother/sister realises this and the sooner you realise this, give up moaning and get your act together the better off you'll be.
    If needs be ask your bro for advise on jobs, theres no shame in it. he probably thinks less of you for being a whinge.

I didn't have a job in Oz, I work a number of door to door jobs over and because I didn't hit crazy sales figures i got let go also I didn't like the idea of lying to people to get a sale, I have morales. Without money coming in I couldn't afford it over there, so had to come home.

I don't have any sense of entitlement, I pay my own way, and stay out of trouble.

Also I don't get this whole working in a job you hate, I've seen too many people take their lives because they spent their live doing things they hated, the current hours I'm getting are not in my ideal job but I'm still doing it as I need the money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

So I've been without work for some time now, I've done college and tried and hated Oz, thats all the background needed.

I get the feeling that some of family members(mainly one) silently judge me, I get a very uneasy/un-nerving feeling when I'm sitting in the room with them.

Sometimes I'm asked to do things for them, which is grand for the most part, but on occasion it can slip my mind, which leads to texts and things said to me, and I don't know if I read too much into them, but they come across as very passive aggressive...

Its not my fault I don't have a job(well I've managed to pick up a few hours here & there in the past month)...

Just at times its horrible and it really shouldn't be, and I think I get this from the one because they have a career and is probably the first in the family to have a career and fair play to them.

But at the moment I'm trying to better myself, for me. As you may be able to tell from my username, I'm off the drink and that's been my choice in an attempt to stop getting myself down from alcohol.

I don't know if I'm over reacting but at times I would just love to up sticks and get away from them and only talk and see them at xmas kinda thing...

So how messed up are your families?

move out and get your own flat... problem solved... no more nagging from your parents if your a lazy bum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

off the booze? that just shows you're a quitter.

Seriously though, there are 1125 jobs on adverts.ie are you not qualified to do any other them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Imma be gettin off ma hi howrse?

tumblr_m3rg2nzLqC1ql5yr7o1_r1_400.gif

• Advertisement

Nuttzz wrote: »
    off the booze? that just shows you're a quitter.

Seriously though, there are 1125 jobs on adverts.ie are you not qualified to do any other them?

In the last week I've applied for 79 jobs, quite a few are a stretch but I've applied for them.

Most jobs on adverts seem to be in and around Dublin area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well, no harm applying for them, get the bus up to do any interviews you're called for and move to Dublin if you get them.

We don't all get to do our dream jobs. TBH, if you can find one you don't absolutely hate, you're doing alright.

What area's your degree in OP?

Sleepy wrote: »
    Well, no harm applying for them, get the bus up to do any interviews you're called for and move to Dublin if you get them.

We don't all get to do our dream jobs. TBH, if you can find one you don't absolutely hate, you're doing alright.

What area's your degree in OP?

Business, just like half the country...

I'd take a job I don't absolutely hate, with regards Dublin, just to get up there for an interview it would pretty much cost me all my weekly money

Then that would just be a drawer wouldn't it?

No, it may be a designated drawer for socks. However, there might be no socks in it for whatever reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I've a job so I can afford a high horse but the vet bills are a killer

I've the same problem... a horse with a drug problem. ;)
    Swampy wrote: »
    Get a job you bum!!
    But...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

I didn't have a job in Oz, I work a number of door to door jobs over and because I didn't hit crazy sales figures i got let go also I didn't like the idea of lying to people to get a sale, I have morales. Without money coming in I couldn't afford it over there, so had to come home.

I don't have any sense of entitlement, I pay my own way, and stay out of trouble.

Also I don't get this whole working in a job you hate, I've seen too many people take their lives because they spent their live doing things they hated, the current hours I'm getting are not in my ideal job but I'm still doing it as I need the money...

sometimes in life you just got to suck it up & provide for yourself, no matter how much you "hate it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

kfallon wrote: »
    My family's great.....thanks for asking!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

I'm still in college and I had a job lined up before my exams, interview done and they said they'd put my name on the rota.

I was sure I had the job in the bag, and I missed that period where students litter their hometown with CVs.

When I realised that I the bastards weren't calling me back, I left CVs everywhere, and loads of my friends started getting jobs in places where I left CVs (my extended family have moved to UK, US, Aus, etc, so I am in a sense a 'blow in').

You tend to feel worthless in the summer when you don't have a job, and I have been trying.

Luckily, I've 8 years experience of playing guitar, and most of the money I now make comes from busking and playing sessions.

On a good day, I can make twice the amount a minimum wage worker would make (plus, no tax).

I love busking, but some people might look down on me for 'not having a real job'. But fúck it, the money is good and I could just as easily be a drug dealer if no real employers bite my CV.

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    I'm still in college and I had a job lined up before my exams, interview done and they said they'd put my name on the rota.

I was sure I had the job in the bag, and I missed that period where students litter their hometown with CVs.

When I realised that I the bastards weren't calling me back, I left CVs everywhere, and loads of my friends started getting jobs in places where I left CVs (my extended family have moved to UK, US, Aus, etc, so I am in a sense a 'blow in').

You tend to feel worthless in the summer when you don't have a job, and I have been trying.

Luckily, I've 8 years experience of playing guitar, and most of the money I now make comes from busking and playing sessions.

On a good day, I can make twice the amount a minimum wage worker would make (plus, no tax).

I love busking, but some people might look down on me for 'not having a real job'. But fúck it, the money is good and I could just as easily be a drug dealer if no real employers bite my CV.

Well my casual hours will earn me €200 this weekend, which is more than I'd earn from working 5 days in my previous job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

FinnLizzy wrote: »

There are actually people out there who would look down on someone making a bit of cash, from a skill that takes time and patience to learn, that the majority wouldn't have the balls to do even if they were offered decent cash to do it? Carry on my good man and pay those idiots no heed.

Advertisement