Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Regular Work Permit or IEC Work Permit?

Options
  • 28-06-2012 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

I applied for the IEC program a while back and a few weeks ago I got an email notifying me that I've been passed on to the CIC for the final stage of the application. As I already had a job offer when I applied, I was able to provide an LMO number and future employer name, address and all that.

Today I received this email:
    Dear BLANK,

This is an email concerning your application for a temporary work permit under the International Experience Program (IEC).

As you have obtained a valid Labour Marker Opinion, you would qualify to go to Canada on a regular, renewable work permit. Please clarify if you would like to change your application to a regular work permit application, or if you would like us to finalize your IEC work permit application.

Kind regards,

IEC Team
    Immigration Section

I have no idea what a "regular, renewable work permit" is or if it would lengthen the amount of time to process my visa. Can anybody give me advice on what to do or any info regarding the "regular, renewable work permit"? I plan on staying in Canada beyond the first IEC permit so would getting this other one make it easier?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

BCox wrote: »
    Hi all,

I applied for the IEC program a while back and a few weeks ago I got an email notifying me that I've been passed on to the CIC for the final stage of the application. As I already had a job offer when I applied, I was able to provide an LMO number and future employer name, address and all that.

Today I received this email:
    Dear BLANK,

This is an email concerning your application for a temporary work permit under the International Experience Program (IEC).

As you have obtained a valid Labour Marker Opinion, you would qualify to go to Canada on a regular, renewable work permit. Please clarify if you would like to change your application to a regular work permit application, or if you would like us to finalize your IEC work permit application.

Kind regards,

IEC Team
    Immigration Section

I have no idea what a "regular, renewable work permit" is or if it would lengthen the amount of time to process my visa. Can anybody give me advice on what to do or any info regarding the "regular, renewable work permit"? I plan on staying in Canada beyond the first IEC permit so would getting this other one make it easier?

Thanks in advance.

if you take the lmo option you will be tied to that employer so if you dont get on with him you are looking for a new job with an lmo.
    in general with twps you are looking at them being valid for a year so they would need to apply for another lmo after 9 months
    if the positive lmo is granted allready you can just turn up at immigratiin with your lmo detailsand be isswued a twp on the spot

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BCox

red menace wrote: »
    if you take the lmo option you will be tied to that employer so if you dont get on with him you are looking for a new job with an lmo.
    in general with twps you are looking at them being valid for a year so they would need to apply for another lmo after 9 months
    if the positive lmo is granted allready you can just turn up at immigratiin with your lmo detailsand be isswued a twp on the spot

So it's almost identical the IEC visa but I'm just tied with my employer and there's no need to apply for another? Just get it reinstated for another year with a new LMO number? Any idea if the processing is the same as the IEC? I'm afraid to accept the work permit to only find out it will take X amount of weeks/months to process.

Last year they were quoting 16 weeks for processing times
    Not sure what they are at this year though.
    Does the company you are applying to have open LMOs in place?

16 weeks?! Might just go with the IEC visa. I reckon I should be receiving my LOI anyday now once I confirm this decision.

I'm not sure what you mean by open LMOs. They had already applied for an LMO for a previous employee. He left so when I applied for his job, the LMO stood valid for my application. Sorry, I know that doesn't really answer your question.

Hang on, if the LMO is already granted you will be issued the TWP on the spot at your port of entry
    To apply for a new LMO takes 16 weeks approx

And yest that answered my question

• Advertisement

red menace wrote: »
    Hang on, if the LMO is already granted you will be issued the TWP on the spot at your port of entry
    To apply for a new LMO takes 16 weeks approx

And yest that answered my question

So, I should go for the work permit. Got it. Thanks.

Well once you are sure it meets your needs and you are happy to work for that employer knock yourself out.

If you have doubts about processing times or the like better to contact the CIC and ask yourself, I am just a guy off the internet after all I am no immigration expert

You don't happen to have a contact number for the CIC do you? Sorry about all the enquiries but every number I've tried has just had some message telling to to check the website. I haven't actually spoken to any humans. I've gotten this far, I just really don't want to balls it up.

And I appreciate all the advice too. Thank you.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/index.asp is what i use

Call Centre services (if you are in Canada only)

The Call Centre can answer questions, in English and French, about Citizenship and Immigration (CIC) services and programs, or applications in process inside Canada.
    Call Centre telephone number: 1-888-242‑2100

Not sure where you are but this is the only number I have.
    This is not really advertised but bashing zero should get you through to a human on 90 % of phone systems
    You will be waiting though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Chloew2000

Hi , I recently applied for a temporary work permit through the IEC 2014 scheme using the my cic account. My application was approved but I still have not received my POE letter. Can anybody help with this please.

• Advertisement
Advertisement