Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are people so ashamed of drinking in Ireland? MOD WARNING POST 1

Options
  • 28-06-2012 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Mod note: Please read & understand the forum charter before you post in this thread. This forum is for discussion of our love of drink & is haven for drinkers. This forum is not for the discussion of the evils of drink or any related social ills. That is more suited to the Humanities forum or the like.

Simply put - Please take care not to disrespect posters who are of a pro-alcohol stance in this thread.

tHB

How do, considered posting this in AH but thought I might get a more clued in response here.

Why is it that Irish people attach so much shame to their alcohol consumption? I work in an off licence and I see it every day. Pretty much every second customer, I ask if they want a bag or not and their answer is always something along the lines of “Yes please, don’t want the neighbours seeing me” or “Yeah, don’t want anyone think I’m a dipso”. It really disheartens me as a lot of these people are only getting a bottle of wine or something, something they not only are perfectly entitled to have, but perfectly entitled to enjoy without judgement.

Another incident that raised my awareness of the Irish shame of alcohol happened a few weeks ago. A woman who lived local and who was just out of the hospital and housebound, rang the off licence and asked could I deliver a bottle of Bacardi and wine. I was just finishing my shift and so said no problem. Good old me though, got the address wrong (Manor, not Drive:o). I approached a house in my uniform and a bag with the drink in it. A girl, around 16, was standing in the front doorway with her friend when they saw me. She gave me a bit of a look and I said that I was from the local off licence and I had a delivery. She immediately called her dad in a kinda ‘get out here now’ kinda way. He came down, saw the drink in my hand and approached me pretty quick asking me what I wanted. I explained what was going on and he ushered me out of his driveway saying ‘No, no, no, you’ve got the wrong house’. I had my uniform on and everything. If I was a courier with a wrong address would he have acted so hostile?

I was over in Berlin a few months ago and their attitude amazed me. People wandering the streets with a beer in their hand without a care in the world. Saw one guy walk into the bar we were in with beer in hand, chat to the barmen, take his jacket off and start his shift! There’s no judgement there at all, nothing to judge. Then at home, sometimes I’ll be walking into town on a night out (around 40 minutes in total) and would fancy a beer, not to get drunk but because I like beer. I have to stick to the backroads because it’s illegal to drink in public (something that I’m against) but on these walks I occasionally encounter other walkers. I find myself having to hide my beer due to many occasions of them tut tutting or passing a remark. I know I shouldn’t care what they think but what is it with this attitude? This attitude of ‘How dare you. Keep your drinking behind closed doors like the rest of us’. Is it some deep rooted ‘Be ashamed of what you enjoy’ mantra in Irish culture? The same we had with sex for so many years? Is there an end to it in sight?

People need to realise that the sole reason for drinking alcohol is not to get drunk. Until this is realised, everyone with a can in their hands while outside and not having paid ~€200 for a festival ticket, will be judged negatively. Shame, cause I love a nice beer.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

Can't say I ever came across people being ashamed much the opposite in fact.

Boasting about how much we drink and how much we spent how many days one was on a bender seems fairly common place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Why is it that Irish people attach so much shame to their alcohol consumption?
    It's because some of us are really bad at it, and the system has been designed to try and keep it away from us has much as possible: that's why you need a licence to sell it, that's why you have to stop selling it at 10pm.
    A woman who lived local and who was just out of the hospital and housebound, rang the off licence and asked could I deliver a bottle of Bacardi and wine.
    Maybe unrelated, but if you hadn't been paid in advance you were breaking the law.
    People need to realise that the sole reason for drinking alcohol is not to get drunk. Until this is realised, everyone with a can in their hands while outside and not having paid ~€200 for a festival ticket, will be judged negatively. Shame, cause I love a nice beer.
    Could not agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

puffishoes wrote: »
    Can't say I ever came across people being ashamed much the opposite in fact.

Boasting about how much we drink and how much we spent how many days one was on a bender seems fairly common place.

That's true but is it because we limit our drinking to where others can't see us, the reason some people drink to excess instead of just casually enjoying it without looking over their shoulder? I'm think this would be a subconscious thought process rather than 'I'm going to get locked because nobody can see me'.

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's because some of us are really bad at it, and the system has been designed to try and keep it away from us has much as possible: that's why you need a licence to sell it, that's why you have to stop selling it at 10pm.
    I don't know if I agree that a country can be bad at drinking without some social effects been an influence. If they didn't try to hide/stop it so much would we have as big a problem as now? I doubt it
    Maybe unrelated, but if you hadn't been paid in advance you were breaking the law.
    Really :o. How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Whereabouts do you work? I worked in an off licence for years and never heard anything like that

• Advertisement

al28283 wrote: »
    Whereabouts do you work? I worked in an off licence for years and never heard anything like that
    About what the customers say about their neighbours? I work in an off licence in South Dublin but I worked in another off licence nearby a few years ago and got the same responses from customers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I don't know if I agree that a country can be bad at drinking without some social effects been an influence. If they didn't try to hide/stop it so much would we have as big a problem as now? I doubt it
    It's a chicken-and-egg situation. I think the strict rules came first, but they weren't introduced on health or social grounds, it was for taxation.
    Really :o. How so?
    Your licence has an address on it. It is only at that address that you can sell alcohol. You can't sell cans at a stall on a street corner and what you were doing, essentially, was selling the drink on the customer's doorstep. If she'd phoned through credit card details first that would mean that the buying transaction was happening at the licensed address, so would be OK.

Your licence has an address on it. It is only at that address that you can sell alcohol. You can't sell cans at a stall on a street corner and what you were doing, essentially, was selling the drink on the customer's doorstep. If she'd phoned through credit card details first that would mean that the buying transaction was happening at the licensed address, so would be OK.

Oh right, well...eh...she totally rang with her card details ;)

it was just a favour for a regular customer

You could have paid for the drink yourself in your offie and she just paid you back like ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

1pm in Holland (years back) friends and I were having a drink and along came our swedish neighbour. Hello, whats the occasion? No occasion. Whos birthday is it? no ones birthday? Is it a special day back in Ireland? No.
    Than why are you drinking at 1 o clock in the day? We are just having a drink. Our neighbour thought we were pulling his leg. After explaining to him that over in Ireland we drink for no reason and every reason, he just walked away shaking his head in disbelief. He could not grasp the concept that people would put alcohol into their bodys for no reason.

Overseas we are looked on as stupid drunkards.
    We tolerate drunkards in Ireland, but we dont want to be called one. Irish view: Ah sure hes ok he just had a little drink.
    Non Irish view: Call an ambulance, that man is a danger to himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is this all a windup?
    I work in an off licence and I see it every day. Pretty much every second customer, I ask if they want a bag or not and their answer is always something along the lines of “Yes please, don’t want the neighbours seeing me” or “Yeah, don’t want anyone think I’m a dipso”.
    I have been in a hell of a lot of off licences in my time, queued up behind a lot of people and overheard their orders and never ONCE heard anything like this, let alone 50% of them doing it. The other off licence worker has not heard of it, has anybody else?

If I did hear that I would have thought they were joking.
    She immediately called her dad in a kinda ‘get out here now’ kinda way. He came down, saw the drink in my hand and approached me pretty quick asking me what I wanted. I explained what was going on and he ushered me out of his driveway saying ‘No, no, no, you’ve got the wrong house’. I had my uniform on and everything. If I was a courier with a wrong address would he have acted so hostile?
    Perhaps he would have acted the same, maybe he was in a bad mood that day or something since she seemed wary of going near him too. Are you suggesting both the daughter & father were both 'against alcohol', or she was somehow predicting his response to somebody from an offlicence delivering drink -which is an extremely rare/unusual occurrence, so it seems very strange how she could predict his reaction. I have just never witnessed nor heard anything like this before, so I would never have jumped to the conclusion it was about the alcohol.

I wonder if delivery men for supermarkets come across this bizarre behaviour when delivery alcohol.
    I find myself having to hide my beer due to many occasions of them tut tutting or passing a remark. I know I shouldn’t care what they think but what is it with this attitude?
    you are committing an illegal act, I have seen people tut if people do not clean up their dogs crap, or if people light up a cigarette in a banned area. In Germany drinking in public is legal, so they can do it "without a care in the world", smoking in pubs is legal too so I expect nobody passes remark if you light up in one.
    I was over in Berlin a few months ago and their attitude amazed me. People wandering the streets with a beer in their hand without a care in the world.
    I was in Munich & Hamburg and their attitude amazed me. People DID NOT wander across with streets without a care in the world. Almost all of them obeyed pedestrian crossing traffic lights. I found it eerie at first, standing there with them on empty roads waiting for the green man. I did stay with them as we got dirty looks when we did break this law. Attitudes like this will just change in different countries.

While in Ireland 'jaywalking' is totally tolerated, it is freely done in front of gardai. And we DO have 'jaywalking' laws in Ireland, the law is so openly broken that many presume we have no such laws.
    our swedish neighbour....

After explaining to him that over in Ireland we drink for no reason and every reason, he just walked away shaking his head in disbelief. He could not grasp the concept that people would put alcohol into their bodys for no reason.
    Strange, I suppose you could meet an Irish man with the same opinion. On wikipedia it suggests drinking during the week is normal there. I know homedistilling is popular in sweden too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoholic_beverages_in_Sweden
    Alcoholic beverages in Sweden are as common as in most of the western world. Sweden is historically part of the vodka belt, with high consumption of distilled beverages and binge drinking, but during the later half of the 20th century, habits are more harmonized with western Europe, with increasing popularity of wine and weekday drinking.

Though it does say
    The temperance movement is strong in Sweden,[citation needed] especially in agricultural areas, and often connected with the "free churches" (non-conformists, that is Protestants outside the Church of Sweden). The Straight Edge movement spread among Swedish youth in the 1990s
    But you would expect teetotallers to be aware many drink 'without special occasion'. And being in Holland I would have thought he had seen the Dutch doing the same.

rubadub wrote: »
    Is this all a windup?
    I have been in a hell of a lot of off licences in my time, queued up behind a lot of people and overheard their orders and never ONCE heard anything like this, let alone 50% of them doing it. The other off licence worker has not heard of it, has anybody else?

If I did hear that I would have thought they were joking.
    Yes, that's right. I'm lying. I work in an off licence up to 40 hours a week, have done for years. You frequent an off licence I imagine much less. Therefore you see all the going ons that I miss. The people that say this usually say it with a little smirk but they are half serious. Also if they knew another customer was behind them they probably would just stay quiet.
    Perhaps he would have acted the same, maybe he was in a bad mood that day or something since she seemed wary of going near him too. Are you suggesting both the daughter & father were both 'against alcohol', or she was somehow predicting his response to somebody from an offlicence delivering drink -which is an extremely rare/unusual occurrence, so it seems very strange how she could predict his reaction. I have just never witnessed nor heard anything like this before, so I would never have jumped to the conclusion it was about the alcohol.

I wonder if delivery men for supermarkets come across this bizarre behaviour when delivery alcohol.
    I honestly have no idea what you're talking about here, sorry. Who 'he' is and 'she' is has confused me :confused:

you are committing an illegal act, I have seen people tut if people do not clean up their dogs crap, or if people light up a cigarette in a banned area. In Germany drinking in public is legal, so they can do it "without a care in the world", smoking in pubs is legal too so I expect nobody passes remark if you light up in one.
    People tut tutting people leaving dog sh*t on the ground aren't going,'look at him, breaking the law'. They're going 'Look at him, leaving sh*t all over the place'. There's a big difference. You mention the fact that jaywalking is tolerated in Ireland even though it's against the law but enjoying a beer in public is frowned upon? Why is it frowned upon, without using the legality of it? If jaywalking is allowed, why not having a beer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

I worked in an off licence for a few years and heard that regularly too - so I can back up the OP on that - Although I noticed it was more of the regular drinkers or 'functioning alcoholics' that had that concern.

Maybe the people who care too much genuinely have something to hide.

Yes, that's right. I'm lying. I work in an off licence up to 40 hours a week, have done for years.
    This guy below has worked for years too.
    al28283 wrote: »
    Going on what I have witnessed in my life, I would be more inclined to believe that off-licence worker over you. He said he NEVER heard anything like it, while you say pretty much every second person does it. Do you think he is lying?

Working it out, I must have witnessed several thousand transactions in offlicences in my life and never heard of this.
    I worked in an off licence for a few years and heard that regularly too - so I can back up the OP on that
    How regular? every second person?
    honestly have no idea what you're talking about here, sorry. Who 'he' is and 'she' is has confused me
    he=the father, she=the daughter

Does it make sense now?
    People tut tutting people leaving dog sh*t on the ground aren't going,'look at him, breaking the law'.
    Many are, I have heard people let out a roar to clean it up, and mention its the law if challenged back or told to F off, it is good to have the law there to back up your valid complaint, I have heard scumbags use and excuse of "so what, its not illegal" while doing some unsociable act in the past. I did see some 'tutting' and bad looks in the past before cleaning up after dogs was made law, but after it was made law I notice it FAR more, before the law I saw people more shocked to see people cleaning it up, since it seemed a disgusting act in itself.

Most would be more annoyed that the noncleaner is doing 2 bad things, i.e. breaking the law and dirtying the place, he is breaking a law which they think is a perfectly sound law, a law with little reason to go unenforced or be ignored.
    You mention the fact that jaywalking is tolerated in Ireland even though it's against the law but enjoying a beer in public is frowned upon? Why is it frowned upon, without using the legality of it?
    Where did I say enjoying a beer in public is frowned upon? I was suggesting people were possibly tutting at you for breaking a law.

If we always had the same public drinking laws as Germany I would expect you would experience less people tutting or passing remarks at you.

I am not sure if they have as much teenage "knacker drinking" going on in Germany as here. That is why it could be more frowned upon here, anybody drinking on the street is viewed as possibly anti-social, so many will hide it or not do it for fear of being labelled as such. Like how normal upstanding citizens in the UK might not buy a hoodie for fear of being associated with a 'bad element', while 20 years ago it never would cross their mind.

In my youth I did a fair bit of public drinking, we used have a few cans around the city centre before hitting pubs/clubs. We always found it amusing that if we went 'knacker drinking' outside a busy bar with customers outside standing with pints we would never get hassle from gardai, or bad looks. It seems a class thing, also an age thing. I have strolled to the pub with mates drinking a can and never have problems from gardai these days, since I am older.

If jaywalking is allowed, why not having a beer?
    Jaywalking is a law which many do not view as 'perfectly sound' and not a law that should be enforced in 99.9% of cases (like the dog cleaning law). Therefore many people do not mind it not being enforced, and would be more upset to see it being enforced 100% of the time.

My point was that in Germany people would frown upon you breaking the law on and empty street, so to me they appear to be more concerned about you breaking that law, rather than the physical act you are doing. Just like some might frown upon you here solely for breaking this particular law.

Having a beer in public is tolerated by many gardai too, and rightly so. I would think it ridiculous to arrest a woman with her family out having a picnic on the beach and enjoying a glass of wine. Or arresting a man in his 50's strolling to the pub having his first can.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Jesus rubadub take it easy, dont take the whole thing personal.
    Your jumping on everyones back. Do you think were all lying?
    Ok were all lying.

I am lying everybody. I just made it up to upset rubadub.
    Were all lying or else rubadub is suffering from paranoia.

This guy below has worked for years too.

Going on what I have witnessed in my life, I would be more inclined to believe that off-licence worker over you. He said he NEVER heard anything like it, while you say pretty much every second person does it. Do you think he is lying?

Working it out, I must have witnessed several thousand transactions in offlicences in my life and never heard of this.
    Jesus, what the hell is wrong with you? You do realise that al28283 and me aren't the same person right? You do realise we don't work in the same off licence, correct? Just because something happens me does not mean it has to happen to him and just because something doesn't happen him, does not mean that it couldn't happen me. I think you know this though and you just seem to be trying to twist what was said to try and discredit me and make me out to be a liar.
    he=the father, she=the daughter

Does it make sense now?
    No, not at all. I think you must have misread my post. I don't know where I said anything about her 'predicting' his response.

Again, I think you're missing the point (or proving mine). For example, I got home from work yesterday and brought some beers home with me. It was a lovely afternoon and I eagerly tucked into Sierra Nevada's new Summerfest beer. A beautiful, crisp Pilsner created to be enjoyed in such nice weather. It was gorgeous and very refreshing. If I am walking down the street in weather like that I would pop into a shop and get a bottle of water or maybe a Coke to cool me down. In reality, what I'd love is to have a beer like I had yesterday, to be able to walk down the street enjoying a brilliantly crafted lager/ale. Why can't I do this? You say people will tut tut me because I'm breaking the law? are we that much a a law abiding country that we'd do this? Is it not something to do with me drinking alcohol that people have a problem with and not purely because I'm 'breaking the law'.

You mention the traffic laws in Germany. I must say I nearly fell victim to an arrest because of that. It is different to see such obedience towards traffic laws. you mention in relation to this that
    Attitudes like this will just change in different countries.
    well, why is it in Ireland our attitude to outdoor drinking is so negative?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

well, why is it in Ireland our attitude to outdoor drinking is so negative?
    Because the people that do it havn't exactly been the type you'd want to emulate. Drinking wine sitting in a park wont get the same negative response as drinking beer sitting in the shopping center.
    Why? because thats the culture, we see drink as for getting drunk not killing thirst. Wine is another thing altogether, more an accessory than a drink.

tommy2bad wrote: »
    we see drink as for getting drunk...
    It's a shame about this but you're right to a certain extent. I can tell you from figures in our off licence and the other ones near me that the trends are changing though. The same people that used to come in and get 8 cans of crappy Budweiser are now coming in and spending the same amount of money on 3 or 4 high quality beers. The change is coming, people are tasting it, not skulling it. Hopefully society sees this and adapts accordingly.

It's a shame about this but you're right to a certain extent. I can tell you from figures in our off licence and the other ones near me that the trends are changing though. The same people that used to come in and get 8 cans of crappy Budweiser are now coming in and spending the same amount of money on 3 or 4 high quality beers. The change is coming, people are tasting it, not skulling it. Hopefully society sees this and adapts accordingly.

I see this at work as well. Our sales of bud/heineken/miller are dropping rapidly. Back in 2007/2008 we were shifting around 2 or 3 pallets of bud/miller 24 packs a week even when it was quiet. We're only selling a fraction of that now. Mainstream lagers are in decline, specialty beer sales have tripled in the last two years. They are still a fairly small % of sales where I work but they are the only beer category to show any increase. Wine sales have remained fairly constant, spirit sales are up. We never sold as much Jameson 12yo during the boom years as we have in the last year.

Jesus rubadub take it easy, dont take the whole thing personal.
    I'm grand, don't worry, I'd be more worried about yourself. I just dislike the Irish self deprecation I see in many threads.
    JYour jumping on everyones back. Do you think were all lying?

Ok were all lying.

I am lying everybody.
    Everybody's back? I'm in agreement with most people here, the 3rd offlicence worker also said it was mainly regular drinkers & alcos, I doubt this was 50% of customers.

In my first post I asked if its a windup? thats all, I honestly thought it might be as I would have taken it as sarcasm if I worked in an offy and heard it from so many customers.

The OP then went on to use the emotively charged word "lying", which I guess you have used repeatedly too as it does appear sort of confrontational. I had simply turned this term back on the OP after he used it, and asked if he thought the second worker was lying. He gave no direct answer as I expected.
    You do realise that al28283 and me aren't the same person right? You do realise we don't work in the same off licence, correct? Just because something happens me does not mean it has to happen to him and just because something doesn't happen him, does not mean that it couldn't happen me. I think you know this though and you just seem to be trying to twist what was said to try and discredit me and make me out to be a liar.
    You discredited/dismissed my experience with this line
    I work in an off licence up to 40 hours a week, have done for years. You frequent an off licence I imagine much less. Therefore you see all the going ons that I miss.
    I said the other guy was an offlicence worker and had NEVER seen it, let alone every second person. Then you discredit him by saying he's not you. If it happens to you so much I would think it might happen at least the odd time in other offies in the same country.
    I don't know where I said anything about her 'predicting' his response.
    To me this bit inferred it.
    She immediately called her dad in a kinda ‘get out here now’ kinda way
    Like she knew/predicted there would be trouble.

In reality, what I'd love is to have a beer like I had yesterday, to be able to walk down the street enjoying a brilliantly crafted lager/ale. Why can't I do this? You say people will tut tut me because I'm breaking the law?.
    I said its one possibility why they would tut. You can't/shouldn't do it since its against the law. I break this law from time to time, as I said now I am older I have never had trouble walking along sober having a can/bottle.

why is it in Ireland our attitude to outdoor drinking is so negative?
    I already mentioned it, probably due to the "knacker drinking" culture we have. I expect many other countries, like all the UK would have similar attitudes to it as we do.

• Advertisement

the 3rd offlicence worker also said it was mainly regular drinkers & alcos, I doubt this was 50% of customers.
    Unbelievable, you're at it again :confused:. We're different people, different off licences, different experiences. How is this so hard to understand?
    The OP then went on to use the emotively charged word "lying", which I guess you have used repeatedly too as it does appear sort of confrontational. I had simply turned this term back on the OP after he used it, and asked if he thought the second worker was lying. He gave no direct answer as I expected.
    Aw sorry, did I hurt your feelings with my emotively charged word?
    That's accusing me of lying, plain and simple, not using the emotively charged scary word "lying" is neither here nor there. And I did address the issue of the other off licence worker. I said that we have different experiences. What happens me doesn't have to happen him and what happens him doesn't have to happen me so no, I have absolutely no reason to believe he's lying just like you have no reason to believe I am.
    You discredited/dismissed my experience with this line
    What experience?!? you don't work in an off licence, you just frequent them from time to time. You have no experience to discredit/dismiss :confused:
    I said the other guy was an offlicence worker and had NEVER seen it, let alone every second person. Then you discredit him by saying he's not you. If it happens to you so much I would think it might happen at least the odd time in other offies in the same country.
    I never discredited him!!!
    Like she knew/predicted there would be trouble.
    I meant that it felt like she kinda looked down on me as if I was a beggar coming to the door.

This isn't a controversial topic. I don't know why you've chosen to make it as heated as you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

How do, considered posting this in AH but thought I might get a more clued in response here.

Why is it that Irish people attach so much shame to their alcohol consumption? I work in an off licence and I see it every day. Pretty much every second customer, I ask if they want a bag or not and their answer is always something along the lines of “Yes please, don’t want the neighbours seeing me” or “Yeah, don’t want anyone think I’m a dipso”. It really disheartens me as a lot of these people are only getting a bottle of wine or something, something they not only are perfectly entitled to have, but perfectly entitled to enjoy without judgement.
    I would guess they have self repsect, and look for repsect from others. As a fellow alcohol trade employee, my guess is that customers don't want to be seen conciously carrying a bottle of alcohol around with them, as they and many others (rightfully) associate it with whinos, alcholics and bingers. Whinos, alcholics and bingers are and will never be a good thing. It just shows a bit of class to cover it up.

I was over in Berlin a few months ago and their attitude amazed me. People wandering the streets with a beer in their hand without a care in the world. Saw one guy walk into the bar we were in with beer in hand, chat to the barmen, take his jacket off and start his shift! There’s no judgement there at all, nothing to judge. Then at home, sometimes I’ll be walking into town on a night out (around 40 minutes in total) and would fancy a beer, not to get drunk but because I like beer. I have to stick to the backroads because it’s illegal to drink in public (something that I’m against) but on these walks I occasionally encounter other walkers. I find myself having to hide my beer due to many occasions of them tut tutting or passing a remark. I know I shouldn’t care what they think but what is it with this attitude? This attitude of ‘How dare you. Keep your drinking behind closed doors like the rest of us’. Is it some deep rooted ‘Be ashamed of what you enjoy’ mantra in Irish culture? The same we had with sex for so many years? Is there an end to it in sight?
    Firstly, the Germans, like most of the other European nations have a mature cultural attitude to drink. They drink to enjoy themselves. Most Irish people i know, drink to excess and purely for the purpose of being drunk. This an abuse of alcohol and it's commonplace here. Maybe it's because we are kept away from it when we are young, that we become obsessed with it when we get near 18 years of age. The Germans, French, Italians,etc are learned to repsect alcohol when young, they are given it with their meals and develop a better resistance and tolerance towards it. Alcohol, particularly beer and wine, is associated with food in many of these countries, and not purely as something that is there to inebriate oneself.

As for the "not being allowed to enjoy ourselves" mantra, i think this is maninly down to the role the Church played in society up until recently. Anything that was at odds with Catholicism was frowned upon i.e. sex, drinking, divorce, etc. It's still there and will take many generations to remove itself from the Irish psyche.
    Many Irish people will never had maturity to realise this. It's the same reason we are in the financial mess we are in. We are simply not mature enough as a nation.

Many Irish people will never had maturity to realise this. It's the same reason we are in the financial mess we are in. We are simply not mature enough as a nation
    I call bull manure on this. We are as mature as any other nation, this kind of nonsense is why no one who did anything wrong is never brought to account, "shure we all went mad" is just shifting the blame from the guilty to some kind of its all our fault.
    We are ashamed of drinking because we were taught to disrespect drink, it was used to keep us down, drunken Irish, fighting Irish, whatever.
    We drank much the same as most nations but somehow we internalized the propaganda and now are stuck with the idea of us not being able to drink responsibly.
    The worst part is it has become a sick sort of self fulfilling prophesy, coupled with the whole catholic guilt thing we hadn't a chance but keeping the stereotype going isn't helping.
    We are self conscious about drinking and thats a historical thing not a genetic one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I call bull manure on this. We are as mature as any other nation, this kind of nonsense is why no one who did anything wrong is never brought to account, "shure we all went mad" is just shifting the blame from the guilty to some kind of its all our fault.
    We are ashamed of drinking because we were taught to disrespect drink, it was used to keep us down, drunken Irish, fighting Irish, whatever.
    We drank much the same as most nations but somehow we internalized the propaganda and now are stuck with the idea of us not being able to drink responsibly.
    The worst part is it has become a sick sort of self fulfilling prophesy, coupled with the whole catholic guilt thing we hadn't a chance but keeping the stereotype going isn't helping.
    We are self conscious about drinking and thats a historical thing not a genetic one.
    You've more or less proved my point there.

grenache wrote: »
    You've more or less proved my point there.

He He, posting while drunk, got me :D
    Didn't claim we could spell or do grammar though ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Ive realised something on my travels in a few places is that irish and english people drink way too much,they only drink with the sole purpose of getting drunk.I know theres a recent trend where there are people out there who enjoy the bottle of wine shared with a meal,but anytime i go out to the pubs now its off hours,i dont go when its packed as its always groups of idiots hanging around paraletic off thier face looking for needless drama..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

IWe drank much the same as most nations
    No we don't. We are pretty much the top of league of alcohol consumption and binge drinking.

Diarmuid wrote: »
    No we don't. We are pretty much the top of league of alcohol consumption and binge drinking.

I was talking historically and we did. The current binge culture is not typical, it's a new aberration that we have in common with other countries.
    Evidence here;
    http://www.finfacts.ie/Private/bestprice/alcoholdrinkconsumptionpriceseurope.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I was talking historically and we did. The current binge culture is not typical, it's a new aberration that we have in common with other countries.

From your link, it's two other countries, UK and Denmark.,
    And here are the OECD 2009 charts. Top of the league!

• Advertisement

As I said, historically and the propaganda became a self fulfilling prophesy.
    We agree?
    Now what to do about it? Short of the price it out of reach solution.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement