Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europrice shut its doors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Saoirsia wrote: »
    I feel i must reply to this message and your comments. I am currently in this store with the other employees.
    For obvious reasons we would, as you say, be looking a bit desperate if not deflated, disappointed,disgusted, depressed with the way we have been treated by our employer after a total of 16 years service between all of us here.

These reasons are:
    We were locked out of our workplace when we turned up for work.
    We have no wages for hours already worked
    We have no Redundancy
    We have no Holiday pay for holiday entitlements due
    We have no overtime pay for overtime entitlements due
    We had received no statutory Notice that this was going to happen which should have been 2 weeks therefore we should be paid for this but again
    we will also not receive this so yes we may be a bit desperate looking but we will remain here until we receive whats rightfully ours.

After years of service and loyalty We receive nothing.

The support we have received from the general public has been fantastic and far outweighs the negative

The owner of this company is currently trading 2 other businesses. If as you say we were to "cut our losses and left when the store closed down" this will continue to happen and it probably be some other employees next week. It needs to be highlighted, these people need to be named and shamed and we will stay here until we get whats rightfully ours.
    if you need anything just let us all know more than happy to help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Horrible situation, our laws are inept in reagrds to this type of situation.

I hope you all have the fortitude and strenght to see this out to a ositive conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I would say, it is only the threat of having your staff do a sit in that would put off some bosses from doing this in my opinion.

The VAT man is the only person who gets paid when a business goes bottom up. There was a time when the staff were on a par with the VAT man, but it seems that day is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I would say, it is only the threat of having your staff do a sit in that would put off some bosses from doing this in my opinion.

The VAT man is the only person who gets paid when a business goes bottom up. There was a time when the staff were on a par with the VAT man, but it seems that day is over.

Usually yeah, but the likes of Quinn and Mick wallace dont pay him either and pocket the money away foriegn instead. Terrible way to treat people, im a firm believer in if you agree something with someone and they do the job to your satisfaction, pay them what you agreed. Until the leaders of the country (politicians and judiciary) start showing respect for the law and common decency, people will get away with this as the people who run the place have no authority when they are likely-to or often do similar.

On a side note, i would have thought busineses like this (low cost retailer) would be doing reasonable business in this bad economic environment, was it ran badly also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Did you not see what I was following up to?

More fun just to post without reading the thread I supppose. Also, it would be a shame to miss out on using such phrases as 'by christ', as the first half of a snappy 4 word post. I'm killing myself here by still typing...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Give it a rest merlante.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭EIREAROEIRE

DO NOT GIVE UP NO MATTER WHAT !!!!!!!!
    i was in a job 3 years ago and the boss said go look for another job they said no redundancy was available. go to the union and do not give up i held out for 2 years being treated like s**t but eventualy they gave up i got basic redundancy better than a kick in the teeth like wat there tryin to do i worked for that company for 12 years and they tryed to dump me NO WAY NEVER GIV UP!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭lassykk

merlante wrote: »
    lassykk wrote: »
    By Christ you're pedantic

Did you not see what I was following up to?

More fun just to post without reading the thread I supppose. Also, it would be a shame to miss out on using such phrases as 'by christ', as the first half of a snappy 4 word post. I'm killing myself here by still typing...

I did see what was originally posted alright and thought your initial reaction was ridiculous... I read most threads on here but generally don't contribute as I don't generally feel my opinion adds much to the topic (and I'm well aware my 4 word post added nothing but then again nothing you have said thus far has either). I don't take any notice of who posts in what topics so perhaps you have a problem with Ziedth from other threads / forums but it just seems like you were picking on what he said for no reason at all. Just seems a bit pathetic but whatever.

Anyway I hope that all the staff get a resolution to their problem in Europrice. Horrible situation to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

hi all just to clarify there are /were 8 eurprice stores and all are being or have been closed with a provisional liquidadtor being appointed by the high court regards brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Does the lock in suggests that John Deasy was right recently and such behaviour is in fact keeping big companies stay away from Waterford and maybe even some that are/were here think twice. Maybe, all our TD's should come together (all 166) and come up with a plan that all workers have certain entitlements regardless of if they are in a union or not. Maybe then we can tell those involved in the unions to go and have a good running jump for themselves, as whethere they like it or not, or will admit it, they have done more damage in this country over the past God knows how many years that they will admit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Black Suir wrote: »
    Does the lock in suggests that John Deasy was right recently and such behaviour is in fact keeping big companies stay away from Waterford and maybe even some that are/were here think twice. Maybe, all our TD's should come together (all 166) and come up with a plan that all workers have certain entitlements regardless of if they are in a union or not. Maybe then we can tell those involved in the unions to go and have a good running jump for themselves, as whethere they like it or not, or will admit it, they have done more damage in this country over the past God knows how many years that they will admit.
    They have every right to get their money, in my view. Its not fair for companies not to pay their wages and/or entitlements. The only way they are going to get this is by doing a lockin. Otherwise they would be dismissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Sully wrote: »
    They have every right to get their money, in my view. Its not fair for companies not to pay their wages and/or entitlements. The only way they are going to get this is by doing a lockin. Otherwise they would be dismissed.

I agree, but still agree that unions should be banned. they are nothing but trouble. As i said in my post, all 166 td's should bang there head together and come up with a law whereby everyone that is working is entitled to their entitlements. But in saying that for some td's to actually think, it is a near impossible task.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

all employees are, its called the working time directive. Thats not the issue, as usual in ireland the issue is enforcement. We seem to have an agency for everything but none of them have teeth. The last time i heard of 'nera' doing an audit and making orders was in 2006. And still unions bring the oddest cases to the labour court. Why cant the labout court fix this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

The action taken by these people in the waterford shop is delaying the process being finalised for all the other employees at the other stores.

I know for a fact that staff in my local shop got paid last week but have been told nothing further can proceed due to the actions of these people in waterford

Typical bs ..what about the other employees and their families?
    The info being put out by these people directly contradicts the info given directly to the staff at my local store..

barney 20v wrote: »
    The action taken by these people in the waterford shop is delaying the process being finalised for all the other employees at the other stores.

I know for a fact that staff in my local shop got paid last week but have been told nothing further can proceed due to the actions of these people in waterford

The info being put out by these people directly contradicts the info given directly to the staff at my local store..
    So the people in the Waterford store should wave their right to wages, during these very tough times, just so other stores staff can get paid? I don't for one second see how its having a knock on effect (especially if the security guard is being payed that much as is reported). Also, I wouldn't expect the store owner to openly admit to not paying staff in another store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭south

so are you sayin that they shouldn't look after their own concerns first? Employers using ther waterford shop as an excuse is what that sounds like

south wrote: »
    so are you sayin that they shouldn't look after their own concerns first? Employers using ther waterford shop as an excuse is what that sounds like

At this moment the welfare of the majority of the workers is being jepradised by the actions of the staff in waterford...
    Your ignorance to what is happening reflects very well the attitude coming from the group in waterford..
    The chain is in liquidation , the liquidators are having to with-hold further payments until this is resolved/ended as this is a chain of shops under one company... not 8 different shops each standing alone!

Waterford has a reputation for this kind of "me fein" carry on but this time your actions are putting families from Wexford to Dublin in financial peril..

The staff have been told face to face by the owner and liquidators what is happening and have been told clearly what payments they will recieve etc.
    This matter is in the hands of the liquidator not the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

At this moment the welfare of the majority of the workers is being jepradised by the actions of the staff in waterford...
    Your ignorance to what is happening reflects very well the attitude coming from the group in waterford..
    The chain is in liquidation , the liquidators are having to with-hold further payments until this is resolved/ended as this is a chain of shops under one company... not 8 different shops each standing alone!

Waterford has a reputation for this kind of "me fein" carry on but this time your actions are putting families from Wexford to Dublin in financial peril..

The staff have been told face to face by the owner and liquidators what is happening and have been told clearly what payments they will recieve etc.

Horse****

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

So to be clear, you are claiming that the Waterford staff are fully up to date with their pay? and they are what? Telling lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

This is going nowhere, they'll get nothing. If i was one of the workers, I would have had a "friend" come down to the shop with his very large van at 3am...

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    So to be clear, you are claiming that the Waterford staff are fully up to date with their pay? and they are what? Telling lies.

I know for a fact the employees in the Enniscorthy shop were paid last week as agreed and they have been kept informed daily as to what is happening by the liquidators.
    The only thing holding up any further payments such as pay due for notice period/holiday pay/ back pay is this "action" being taken by this group in waterford.

How can any firm dealing with the liquidation of a company carry out its mandate fully and correctly if the former staff block any attempts to do a full stock take etc?
    I have heard rumours... i repeat rumours that certain shops within the company might have a future with different owners coming in etc.

If this is the case the former staff in waterford are not only shooting themselves in the foot but they are also seriously damaging the prospects of another owner being found for ANY of the shops in the near future.
    With regards to redundancy etc,this can not be processed until such time as the liquidators have a real world figure on assets etc.

Just to clarify i am ALL for people standing up for their rights and not all employers are good in these circumstances but the current owner along with the liquidators met the staff here face to face before the shop officially closed, but the staff in waterford say they heard/knew nothing?
    I seriously doubt it.

I know for a fact the employees in the Enniscorthy shop were paid last week as agreed and they have been kept informed daily as to what is happening by the liquidators.
    The only thing holding up any further payments such as pay due for notice period/holiday pay/ back pay is this "action" being taken by this group in waterford.

How can any firm dealing with the liquidation of a company carry out its mandate fully and correctly if the former staff block any attempts to do a full stock take etc?
    I have heard rumours... i repeat rumours that certain shops within the company might have a future with different owners coming in etc.

If this is the case the former staff in waterford are not only shooting themselves in the foot but they are also seriously damaging the prospects of another owner being found for ANY of the shops in the near future.
    With regards to redundancy etc,this can not be processed until such time as the liquidators have a real world figure on assets etc.

Just to clarify i am ALL for people standing up for their rights and not all employers are good in these circumstances but the current owner along with the liquidators met the staff here face to face before the shop officially closed, but the staff in waterford say they heard/knew nothing?
    I seriously doubt it.

You have to be the either the most gullible poster on here or you have a personal reason to spout the s h 1t you are posting.

Please explain HOW by leaving the store that these people will get paid, and please tell me why, other staff of other stores have been paid according to you, but the Waterford staff have not?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

You didn't actually answer my question. You seemed to hint at what the Waterford staff have been saying (they haven't been paid) contradicts what you have heard first hand.

If I hadn't been fully paid I'd have to dragged off the premises, it's unfortunate that they are effecting other shops redundancy (which BTW it shouldn't )but you have said yourself they are at least fully paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

A little less speculation and a little more facts would go a long way here.

You have to be the either the most gullible poster on here or you have a personal reason to spout the s h 1t you are posting.

Please explain HOW by leaving the store that these people will get paid, and please tell me why, other staff of other stores have been paid according to you, but the Waterford staff have not?

Well i can only talk about one shop and its staff . they co-operated with the liquidators- they got paid last week.
    Staff in waterford did not co-operate and did not get paid.... go figure.
    I am far from gullible and if you feel the need to personally abuse me thats your concern.
    I have a personal reason to CARE about this situation, my two children.
    If the company are unable to pay the redundancy then it will be paid by the Department of Social Protection for direct payment from the Social Insurance Fund.

Well i can only talk about one shop and its staff . they co-operated with the liquidators- they got paid last week.
    Staff in waterford did not co-operate and did not get paid.... go figure.
    I am far from gullible and if you feel the need to personally abuse me thats your concern.
    I have a personal reason to CARE about this situation, my two children.
    If the company are unable to pay the redundancy then it will be paid by the Department of Social Protection for direct payment from the Social Insurance Fund.

So you work or did work for Europrice then?

ziedth wrote: »
    You didn't actually answer my question. You seemed to hint at what the Waterford staff have been saying (they haven't been paid) contradicts what you have heard first hand.

If I hadn't been fully paid I'd have to dragged off the premises, it's unfortunate that they are effecting other shops redundancy (which BTW it shouldn't )but you have said yourself they are at least fully paid.
    I have heard nothing specific about payments made to waterford staff.
    I stated that other staff got properly notified and they got paid. seems very strange to me that waterford claim to have been told nothing etc.

So you work or did work for Europrice then?
    No i have never worked for eurprice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭calerbass

No i have never worked for eurprice.

Hi barney, your wrong on everything.

The owner met the workers last week after some very poor management on his behalf. He met all the workers in Enniscorthy. He wanted them to sign a form relinquishing all rights to holiday pay, wages etc. They did not meet the liquid man at any stage. A person of expertees in labour law said the form the wicklow man wanted them to sign was highly illegal. The only time the staff met the liquid man was when they turned up at the store.

The staff at the other stores did not get any payments from anyone. Why is nt the wicklow man on the media saying so. Take it from me you are way off the mark.

Nobody gives a ****e about the workers, the judge did nt even refer to them when appointing the liquid man.

Their were query after query made to the company's HR Manager by the staff before the penny dropped, but it was the" i have nt a clue response"

Anyway your wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

This sounds like exactly the sort of thing that could be drawn out very quickly by Billy Mc on Deise AM. Has the station been contacted?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement