Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europrice shut its doors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

I'm seeking clarification on one point....Are the waterford staff saying that none of them met the liquidators at any time before the morning they started this sit in?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tommy987

Tommy987 wrote: »
    cahill2012 wrote: »

Locks were changed by liquidator as is standard procedure, nothing wrong with that. I know at least two stores other than Waterford did not sign.
    Im not going to repeat myself over and over to you. As i already said I received my wages along with all other employees and will be receiving my redundancy and other entitlements due in due course as is standard in this situation.

I assume the liquidator has to get permission from the owner of the store before they change the locks? Europrice would have been only renting the place.

The point you's all seem to b forgetting is that eurprice is now gone the owner has no say what so ever anymore, the liquidators are now in control of everything hence why they changed the locks nothing to do with the owner or anyone else!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

barney 20v wrote: »
    My sources are confidential and it is none of your business who i am.. nd as i previously stated on here - i am not nor have i ever been a eurprice employee!
    I'm seeking clarification on one point....Are the waterford staff saying that none of them met the liquidators at any time before the morning they started this sit in?

Go way, its obvious you have a vested interest in the Waterford store being wound up. Are you part of the security group, liquidation firm, one of the directors and you are trying to put out some Chinese whispers in order to coax out the people locked in there. You won't and have not pulled the wool over anyones eyes. You should be ashamed of yourself.

My sources are confidential and it is none of your business who i am.. nd as i previously stated on here - i am not nor have i ever been a eurprice employee!

Go way, its obvious you have a vested interest in the Waterford store being wound up. Are you part of the security group, liquidation firm, one of the directors and you are trying to put out some Chinese whispers in order to coax out the people locked in there. You won't and have not pulled the wool over anyones eyes. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Oh because people speak sense and the truth you don't want them here!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

I find it very weird that the people talking from a Wexford shops perspective are blaming the Waterford staff instead of taking the shops owners to task for what they are entitled to.

Once the finger pointing is worn out can people answer this with a yes no answer..

Did the employer/liquidator follow the guidelines set here and mentioned by calerbass for the Waterford and/or Wexford staff?

If those procedures were followed, then it's bad news but that's it. If something else was done, then it's the employer who should be held to account instead of bitching at/about each other and forgetting the employers responsibilities.

• Advertisement

your talking no sense whatsoever, and thats been highlighted numerous times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 cahill2012

Just like to say one thing,those other two users,barney and tommy,are clearly not answering questions and overlooking the facts pointed out by calerbass.

Maybe tommy realizes he signed away or didnt sign,i dont kno,any rights and resents what the waterford staff are doing,fighting for those rights.I think it would be silly of them to do something like this if they were getting ther entitlements.

As for barney,have no idea who u are or where your getting your info from as u "claim"u have nothing to do with eurprice.Googled ur username aswel,interesting.

Anyway,your exactly whats wrong with this country.You sit at home and bitch and moan for this and that but dont actually have the ball or nerve to actually get up and do anything about it.U would rather sign away your rights on an illegal form and pretend everything is ok.Well,ill leave you two to continue to bitch and moan on here because lets face it,you would rather bend over than fight for something thats rightfully yours.

Get your facts and truths right before you go blabbing off.Especially barney,who claims he has nothing to do with the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

It would be pretty unusual for the liquidator to meet with employees before securing the premises if the business was to stop trading. It's a huge security risk to allow disgruntled former employees access to a property full of stock.

Having worked as a liquidator before I'm struggling to understand why this sit-in is occurring and what they're hoping to achieve. The employees are entitled to claim their redundancy, holiday pay and pay in lieu of minimum notice from the government so they will ultimately get paid. OK, it does take about 6-8 weeks but that's the way the system works I'm afraid.

There seems to be a lot of panic and confusion and comments on what an injustice it is that these people aren't getting paid their wages. I just wanted to state that ultimately, they will get this money.

If anyone has any questions on how this stuff works, fire away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 cahill2012

u dont speak sense,you've tripped over ur words a few times

I assume the liquidator has to get permission from the owner of the store before they change the locks? Europrice would have been only renting the place.

No they don't need to. Once the liquidator is appointed they essentially become the executive officer of the company and the directors of the company lose their powers.

If the property is owned by an external landlord, they probably would need to speak to that person before making such changes to the property. They could use temporary security measures (i.e. chains and padlocks) in the interim if they wanted to though.

• Advertisement

What is actually standard.........

On the date of the termination of employment your employer must give you a "Redundancy Certificate" - section B of form RP50 - and should pay the redundancy lump sum due to you.

If your employer has not paid your redundancy lump sum, you should apply to your employer for it using form RP77 (pdf). If your employer still refuses to pay it, you can apply to the Department of Social Protection for direct payment from the Social Insurance Fund. You apply online using form RP50 as follows:

If your employer is unable to pay your redundancy lump sum, he should sign the RP50 and submit a letter from an accountant or solicitor stating he is unable to pay and accepting liability for the 85% (since 1 January 2012) owing to the Social Insurance Fund together with documentary evidence such as audited accounts
    If your employer refuses to pay your redundancy lump sum or if there is a dispute about redundancy you can bring a claim to the Employment Appeals Tribunal using the new single complaint form. This must be done within one year of your dismissal. To apply for your lump sum you should send a completed form RP50 together with a favourable decision from the Employment Appeals Tribunal
    Insolvency: If the company has been liquidated or is in receivership, the completed form RP50 should be sent in by the liquidator or receiver on behalf of the employees.

What is not standard, is corralling all the employees into a room in enniscorthy and producing a form for employees to sign which is illegal.

The problem nearly always is, that the employer is not versed well in labour laws,because they think their right or just can't be bothered.

Could you clarify what illegal form was given?

In a liquidation you skip most of those steps and just hand the RP50 and EIP1 form to the employees to sign as soon after appointment as possible.

I am still awaiting an answer to my question....! I am not involved with either eurprice,the owner, the security firm or the liquidators.

I am still waiting on a response from the mods to clarify last nights accusations about myself.
    No chinese whispers- just Facts.
    If the people supporting this protest do not want to hear the truth then it is their hard luck!

Just like to say one thing,those other two users,barney and tommy,are clearly not answering questions and overlooking the facts pointed out by calerbass.

Maybe tommy realizes he signed away or didnt sign,i dont kno,any rights and resents what the waterford staff are doing,fighting for those rights.I think it would be silly of them to do something like this if they were getting ther entitlements.

As for barney,have no idea who u are or where your getting your info from as u "claim"u have nothing to do with eurprice.Googled ur username aswel,interesting.

Anyway,your exactly whats wrong with this country.You sit at home and bitch and moan for this and that but dont actually have the ball or nerve to actually get up and do anything about it.U would rather sign away your rights on an illegal form and pretend everything is ok.Well,ill leave you two to continue to bitch and moan on here because lets face it,you would rather bend over than fight for something thats rightfully yours.

Get your facts and truths right before you go blabbing off.Especially barney,who claims he has nothing to do with the company.
    I do not "claim" to have nothing to do with the company..i have stated clearly that i have nothing to do with eurprice can i be any clearer?

With regards to the fascination as to who i am... you can google away all you like.. i have nothing to hide! I have no vested interest in this affair.

The waterford staff stated on their facebook page that they had no contact with the liquidator prior to turing up the day the protest began... that is a blatant lie.

The liquidator was represented at the meeting held on tuesday the 27 th June in Enniscorthy.

The liquidator was represented at the meeting held on tuesday the 27 th June in Enniscorthy.

Was this the creditors' meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The point you's all seem to b forgetting is that eurprice is now gone the owner has no say what so ever anymore, the liquidators are now in control of everything hence why they changed the locks nothing to do with the owner or anyone else!!

If the owner of the shop is only leasing to europrice then surely it has something to do with him :rolleyes:
    Newaglish wrote: »

If the property is owned by an external landlord, they probably would need to speak to that person before making such changes to the property. They could use temporary security measures (i.e. chains and padlocks) in the interim if they wanted to though.

Cheers

Newaglish wrote: »
    Was this the creditors' meeting?
    I'm not sure what the meeting was called officially.. if it was a creditors meeting why would all the staff be present?

I have personally suffered at the hands of an employer . i have been on strike for 2 months in the past.
    I have stated i support workers who genuinely have been mistreated...
    I do not support these workers because they are only going to get what they legally deserve either way!
    They are just delaying the process for the other 60+ workers in the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I have personally suffered at the hands of an employer . i have been on strike for 2 months in the past.
    I do not support these workers because they are only going to get what they legally deserve either way!

@Newaglish, as someone who has experience in these matters, can you confirm or deny the above bolded text? Would clear up a lot of confusion, thanks.

ur full of ****, if there was a meeting in enniscorthy whose to say the waterford staff where there or where told bout it

Jason Todd wrote: »
    @Newaglish, as someone who has experience in these matters, can you confirm or deny the above bolded text? Would clear up a lot of confusion, thanks.

It's difficult to say without having the full facts of the situation. People will need to correct me if I'm wrong; as far as I'm aware, there are shops still open in Wexford and the Waterford store has closed? Or have all of the stores been closed?

It certainly doesn't help if there's an ongoing dispute with existing employees. The liquidator has to process an RP50 and EIP1 form for each of the employees and the administration involved is pretty significant. An ongoing dispute will tie up the liquidator's resources in dealing with these employees which can have a knock-on effect on their ability to deal with other areas.

That being said once a form has been signed by an employee (any of the employees) the liquidator will send it to whichever government department deals with it these days (DETI?) and the DETI will process it regardless of what any of the other employees are doing, protest or no protest.

Hopefully that clears it up, also disclaimer: the answer is a little simplified as there are so many variables that can affect this and I don't have the full facts myself.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what the meeting was called officially.. if it was a creditors meeting why would all the staff be present?

I just looked it up, it's a High Court appointed liquidator so no creditor meeting.

Does it matter if some employees had a meeting or not? I don't understand the significance. The employees and their supporters should focus on their legal entitlements and how best to facilitate the payment of these entitlements. Who said what to whom is an emotive argument and is ultimately irrelevant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

That is the classic "I'm not a racist since I have a Black/Chinese/Traveler friend".

Pull the other one Barney, the game is up. We know what your agenda is. Someone comes in from company and logs in under false name and spreads lies. The fact is, the workers were left high and dry and deserve their entitlements.

Partizan wrote: »
    That is the classic "I'm not a racist since I have a Black/Chinese/Traveler friend".

Pull the other one Barney, the game is up. We know what your agenda is. Someone comes in from company and logs in under false name and spreads lies. The fact is, the workers were left high and dry and deserve their entitlements.

Are they not going to get their entitlements though? This is what I find confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Saoirsia

We were at this meeting in Enniscorthy were we were told that this company has gone into liquidation. Please refer to Facebook support page and media reports as this was stated clearly by us. I don't know where the comment that we didn't hear anything came from.

It is of no concern to us that we are holding up payments for other staff and stores. They weren't very communicative or concerned about us when the stores were open so why should we start now. This concerns waterford staff. You or the staff had the opportunity to speak up on Tuesday evening and you choose not to. Out of 70 employees only 3 managers asked questions. It was a disgrace. And doesn't surprise me that this person thinks he can walk away from this responsibilities

We wont allow this man to dump us onto the state and think he can walk away to his other businesses which are still trading today. Its a disgrace and he should hang his head in shame.

You are indeed a former employee or connected in sum way with employees or maybe it is indeed a director we are speaking too

Either way we will fight on....:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Saoirsia

Barney is totally right.
    I am a Eurprice employee and was there last Tuesday night the 26th of june.
    I did not sign the letter the Waterford shop are referring to and I hav since received my wages along with all other employees and will b recieving redundancy in the standard time frame of 6 to 8 months from the government as is common in this situation as the company have been declared insolvent.
    The Waterford branches behaviour has ruined all other employees chance of employment by the liquidation company during this 2 week period as they simply don't seem to trust us now due to their attitude.
    It is a disgrace the support they are recieving as they are doing more harm than good we were all upset last week but they should have got proper advise like the rest of us before going head first into this unnecessary action.[/QUOT]

Well we didn't sign it and we were told we wont be paid until we do so how did u get paid it if you didn't sign??

Saoirsia wrote: »
    We were at this meeting in Enniscorthy were we were told that this company has gone into liquidation. Please refer to Facebook support page and media reports as this was stated clearly by us. I don't know where the comment that we didn't hear anything came from.

It is of no concern to us that we are holding up payments for other staff and stores. They weren't very communicative or concerned about us when the stores were open so why should we start now. This concerns waterford staff. You or the staff had the opportunity to speak up on Tuesday evening and you choose not to. Out of 70 employees only 3 managers asked questions. It was a disgrace. And doesn't surprise me that this person thinks he can walk away from this responsibilities

We wont allow this man to dump us onto the state and think he can walk away to his other businesses which are still trading today. Its a disgrace and he should hang his head in shame.

You are indeed a former employee or connected in sum way with employees or maybe it is indeed a director we are speaking too

Either way we will fight on....:-)

Do you mind if I ask what specifically you are protesting for? (Genuine question)

ur full of ****, if there was a meeting in enniscorthy whose to say the waterford staff where there or where told bout it
    erm the waterford staff themselves and staff from the other shops......

Partizan wrote: »

Please...... i am a member here for years....!
    do you think i created this profile a number of years ago just for this eventuality?
    I work for a large multi national who have NO business ties to eurprice at all. none- nada .!
    How were the workers left high and dry? ask them have they recieved the forms in relation to claiming redundancy.
    I have no agenda other than to highlight the situation the waterford staff have left all the other staff in. simple as.

Do you mind if I ask what specifically you are protesting for? (Genuine question)[/Quote]

• Advertisement

Please...... i am a member here for years....!
    do you think i created this profile a number of years ago just for this eventuality?
    I work for a large multi national who have NO business ties to eurprice at all. none- nada .!
    How were the workers left high and dry? ask them have they recieved the forms in relation to claiming redundancy.
    I have no agenda other than to highlight the situation the waterford staff have left all the other staff in. simple as.

up ou that, only causing trouble is all you are

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement