Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser range finder

Options
  • 28-06-2012 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi guys any recommendations for a laser range finder?anyone have the bushnell 1600 arc lrf?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Haven't used that RF but my Leica one functions very well so that is my recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Brian5

leica seem very popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

The Leica are really good.

I had a cheap Bushnell one first and it was terrible, barely functional.

I have used a more expensive Bushnell though, think it was a Bushnell Pro 1000 (big item), and it was also very good so my advice is try the exact model you are thinking of buying and make sure it has a good warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

I agree with Vegeta. Leica are the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

I have an old Nikon one thats on its last legs, the display is barely visable even with brand new batteries. She has served me well. Im trying to get the boss man to get me one and he said he can get a Hawke 600m for €160 or a 1000m for €200 are they any good ? How much would the leica start at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭cushcam

I have an old Nikon one thats on its last legs, the display is barely visable even with brand new batteries. She has served me well. Im trying to get the boss man to get me one and he said he can get a Hawke 600m for €160 or a 1000m for €200 are they any good ? How much would the leica start at?

i have the 600m hawke rangefinder, it suits my needs perfectly and always ranges the distance quickly once you're not shaking like a leaf. i can't comment on how good it would be under a lamp though as i only use it during daylight hours but i figured if it wasn't good enough for my use i could always sell it on and not lose a tonne of money on it

Vegeta wrote: »
    The Leica are really good.

I had a cheap Bushnell one first and it was terrible, barely functional.

I have used a more expensive Bushnell though, think it was a Bushnell Pro 1000 (big item), and it was also very good so my advice is try the exact model you are thinking of buying and make sure it has a good warranty.

Ya I like the look f the bushnell arc 1600 it seems to be top of the range piece of kit...there's plenty of smaller bushnells but I'd need to be seeing deer at 500,600 meters out ya know...

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Most of the cheaper rangefinders work fine but its the quality of the optics that let them down.
    If you are going to be ranging deer at dawn and dusk buy a leica or a zeiss.

zeissman wrote: »
    Most of the cheaper rangefinders work fine but its the quality of the optics that let them down.
    If you are going to be ranging deer at dawn and dusk buy a leica or a zeiss.
    Thanks zeissman what kind of range does the leica get?are they pricey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

The problem with range finders is that you're coupling two expensive fields: electronics and optics.

There are plenty of great scopes out there that won't break the bank, not so with rangefinders.

I currently have the Leica 1600 and have received readings past 1600yards on large reflective surfaces. It is a great piece of technology and I would recommend them. They only problem is the cost. Expect to pay...

What do you want to do with it? If you're into hunting the Leica 1200 or even lesser should do the trick.

• Advertisement

FISMA wrote: »
    The problem with range finders is that you're coupling two expensive fields: electronics and optics.

There are plenty of great scopes out there that won't break the bank, not so with rangefinders.

I currently have the Leica 1600 and have received readings past 1600yards on large reflective surfaces. It is a great piece of technology and I would recommend them. They only problem is the cost. Expect to pay...

What do you want to do with it? If you're into hunting the Leica 1200 or even lesser should do the trick.

Ya I got a great Konus pro scope for 600 euros it simply does not miss and does thesame job as a schmidt and bender pm 2,ya what kind of money is the leica 1600?id be usin it for long range deer shooting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Brian5 wrote: »
    Ya I got a great Konus pro scope for 600 euros it simply does not miss and does thesame job as a schmidt and bender pm 2,ya what kind of money is the leica 1600?id be usin it for long range deer shooting...

I think I would recommend the 1200. Long ranges for deer shooting are not much for modern range finders.

The 1600 has extras like temperature, pressure, and slope compensation. It's a bit much for me - I don't use all of the functions.

I paid around $800 in the states.

I would look at some Leica 900's, if they are still available.

FISMA wrote: »
    Brian5 wrote: »

I think I would recommend the 1200. Long ranges for deer shooting are not much for modern range finders.

The 1600 has extras like temperature, pressure, and slope compensation. It's a bit much for me - I don't use all of the functions.

I paid around $800 in the states.

I would look at some Leica 900's, if they are still available.
    big money...what price is the 1200?

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

There is a leica 1200 yard rangefinder in the for sale section for 370 euro.
    thats a good price.

Advertisement