Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for Bars/Clubs

Options
  • 28-06-2012 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I'm heading to Waterford this Saturday on a stag. Looking for some good ideas for pubs/clubs for the night.

We are a group of 30 something lads. Nothing too mental but some bars near a bookies during the day and something a bit livelier at night. (that opens late of course)

I used to go to college in waterford back in the nineties but I assume a lot has changed since then.

I do remember Shefflins and the Pulpit. Are these still there?

Cheers for any suggestions...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

During the day near a bookie's:

The Exchange in Ballybricken they do good offers on drinks/pints.

Then down to Geoffs for a quiet one about 7/8 and across the road the Kazbar for a couple.

Maybe Revolutions after that if it looks busy or the front lounge for a bit of live music and onto Harvey's for the night or what you would have called Shefflins.

Stay away from the Foundry and Masons in my opinion. Crowd is too young for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

ziedth wrote: »

Then down to Geoffs for a quiet one about 7/8 and across the road the Kazbar for a couple.

Maybe Revolutions after that if it looks busy or the front lounge for a bit of live music and onto Harvey's for the night or what you would have called Shefflins.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭crustybread

Thanks a lot Ziedth, sound like some good ideas. Will definitely check each of them out.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Thanks a lot Ziedth, sound like some good ideas. Will definitely check each of them out.

Thanks again.

I'd give the Tap Room opposite the Exchange a visit too. Great pub

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

They getting much of a crowd in Harveys on Sat nights?

• Advertisement

They getting much of a crowd in Harveys on Sat nights?

I haven't a notion man to be honest it's been a while since I was down there but even it it's not as busy as it was last summer I think it's still the best spot for a stag of lads in the PO's age group.

I can't imagine it being dead on a Saturday night but if it was I'd suggest downstairs in Masons. Bands are usually good in there.

I haven't a notion man to be honest it's been a while since I was down there but even it it's not as busy as it was last summer I think it's still the best spot for a stag of lads in the PO's age group.

I can't imagine it being dead on a Saturday night but if it was I'd suggest downstairs in Masons. Bands are usually good in there.

Ah yeah, I just heard it can be empty at times even on a sat night, might be wrong.

I wouldn't be giving advice on something if I hadn't a notion but that's just me.

Ah yeah, I just heard it can be empty at times even on a sat night, might be wrong.

I wouldn't be giving advice on something if I hadn't a notion but that's just me.

Oh really? I hadn't heard that at all. Ah sure, I'm sure they'll use their best judgement when they get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Oh really? I hadn't heard that at all. Ah sure, I'm sure they'll use their best judgement when they get there.

Last time I went to Harveys there were 5 people in the place, I stayed for one drink since I payed €2 in:rolleyes: then walked back up town to Kazbarr:p

So Harveys is out, I'd also avoid The Exchange, it's a bit rough.

I'd also disregard the advice to stay away from Masons and the Foundry, a group of lads on a stag could knock a right bit of craic out of both places no matter what age you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I'm heading to Waterford this Saturday on a stag. Looking for some good ideas for pubs/clubs for the night.

We are a group of 30 something lads. Nothing too mental but some bars near a bookies during the day and something a bit livelier at night. (that opens late of course)

I used to go to college in waterford back in the nineties but I assume a lot has changed since then.

I do remember Shefflins and the Pulpit. Are these still there?

Cheers for any suggestions...

Wouldnt be gone on the exchange, id agree with previous poster, a bit rough. If youa re up Ballybricken way, Tap room is nice.

For pints and betting T&H Doolans (George Street, near John Roberts Sq) is a nice not mad pub, good food and a ladbrokes couple doors up. Pints might be a small more expensive but nothing crazy.

Revolution near where all the pubs are on John St also does good food and a ladbrokes on the corner. They also do pints of the local brew, metalman, which makes heineken, bud, etc taste like dirty water.

Something a bit different, 'The Forum' up by the Glen have a good band (Solar taxi) on Saturday night, €5 charge kick off 11:30.

Small bit down the john street is The front lounge, always have decent bands on there.

Kazbar for finsihing night is always good.

So Harveys is out, I'd also avoid The Exchange, it's a bit rough.

I'd also disregard the advice to stay away from Masons and the Foundry, a group of lads on a stag could knock a right bit of craic out of both places no matter what age you are.

Exchange is grand in the day and it's beside the best bookie's in town.

I couldn't disagree more about the foundry. Last time I was out in town I ended up there with a group a couple of years younger then the OP and it was actually painful everyone in the group felt we were way to old.

I should have actually said upstairs in Masons it suffers from the same problems as the foundry but downstairs can be very good with the right band which to be fair they nearly always have.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Wouldnt be gone on the exchange, id agree with previous poster, a bit rough. If youa re up Ballybricken way, Tap room is nice.

For pints and betting T&H Doolans (George Street, near John Roberts Sq) is a nice not mad pub, good food and a ladbrokes couple doors up. Pints might be a small more expensive but nothing crazy.

Revolution near where all the pubs are on John St also does good food and a ladbrokes on the corner. They also do pints of the local brew, metalman, which makes heineken, bud, etc taste like dirty water.

Something a bit different, 'The Forum' up by the Glen have a good band (Solar taxi) on Saturday night, €5 charge kick off 11:30.

Small bit down the john street is The front lounge, always have decent bands on there.

Kazbar for finsihing night is always good.

This is actually a very good suggestion too OP. Forum isn't for everyone by any means but everything else is spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

You could try the Uluru if your looking for a place,bookies right beside it. Its about 5 min taxi into town then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

It's all well and good finding a pub near a bookies but the pub has to have ATR and Racing UK.

If you want to stick around town then you're best bet is the front lounge which is a racing pub during the day (and ladbrokes 10 seconds away - 5 if it's raining). You can then go to espresso for some nice Italian nosh (I'll get ya a discount ;-)). Or revolution/Kazbar for good bar food). Everything is at your doorstep down here. Ballybricken is fine but you'll be surrounded by elders and regulars...not necessarily a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Local_Chap wrote: »
    You could try the Uluru if your looking for a place,bookies right beside it. Its about 5 min taxi into town then

The Uluru has a snug with 2 or 3 tv's showing racing and sport all day, 2 bookies next door and it serves food all day too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Yeah but you're a good bit out of town then. Although you're just across the road from the hospital for when the inevitable happens.

That sounds good, we are staying around the quays so somewhere in the centre will suffice. all good suggestions. Thanks for all your help lads.

To be honest as is usually the case we'll end up walking to the first pub with ATR/RUK and end up staying there for the day. Where exactly is the front lounge?

To be honest as is usually the case we'll end up walking to the first pub with ATR/RUK and end up staying there for the day. Where exactly is the front lounge?

You mean you won't be going to Geoffs at 7/8 for a quiet one? :D

• Advertisement

john street, (near everything) just down from woodman pub and the foundry nightclub

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Downses might be worth a pop into if ye are into the racing! It belongs to the De Bromhead family as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

It's all well and good finding a pub near a bookies but the pub has to have ATR and Racing UK.

If you want to stick around town then you're best bet is the front lounge which is a racing pub during the day (and ladbrokes 10 seconds away - 5 if it's raining). You can then go to espresso for some nice Italian nosh (I'll get ya a discount ;-)). Or revolution/Kazbar for good bar food). Everything is at your doorstep down here. Ballybricken is fine but you'll be surrounded by elders and regulars...not necessarily a bad thing.

+1
    also decent pool table and even two dartboards

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

Get yourselft to the Exchange on Ballybricken on Saturday afternoon. 3 yoyos for all drinks and Paddy Powers next door. Plenty of stag and hen parties use the Exchange. 30 euro each and Ye have a nice steam for the night ahead . Enjoy

molby wrote: »
    Get yourselft to the Exchange on Ballybricken on Saturday afternoon. 3 yoyos for all drinks and Paddy Powers next door. Plenty of stag and hen parties use the Exchange. 30 euro each and Ye have a nice steam for the night ahead . Enjoy

molby,bloody hell, 10 pints for a nice steam only:eek:, i would only be fit for bed after 10. 10 for 30, has a ring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

So here's a question in a similar vein. I'm going out Saturday to a posh restaurant in Waterford and will be wearing a suit.

What bar can I subsequently go to without being totally over-dressed?

A

alinton wrote: »
    So here's a question in a similar vein. I'm going out Saturday to a posh restaurant in Waterford and will be wearing a suit.

A

To be honest nobody would look twice at ya in most pubs but I'd say any of the non DJ /Band pubs like would surely have a few people suited up:

Geoffs, Munster, Gingerman, Tap Room or Woodman

For music I'd say:

T&H's or again The front lounge.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

Max Powers wrote: »
    molby,bloody hell, 10 pints for a nice steam only:eek:, i would only be fit for bed after 10. 10 for 30, has a ring to it.[/QUOTEIn bed for 10-30 if you not seasoned, but a nice burger and a quick shower and off you go again. Can't beat a stag do.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

alinton wrote: »

A

Try Gingerman, Munster, Bar @ Jade Palace, or Dancing in Mojo Lounge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Nobody mention Dignity Bar yet! Im sure theyd love it. Lotsa riding going on in there!

Advertisement