Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with newly bought ASUS 7850

Options
  • 28-06-2012 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. As some of you probably already know, I bought a new 7850. I just got it today. For Komplett feedback, there are the pics of packaging, etc. Pretty good service. Only one day delay(4 days total for arrival at pick up point).

Anyway. I can't really show you the problem and I can't really pinpoint it myself but I can see problems on the screen. It's close to looking like a wrong contrast configuration but I have changed around the contrast of both the catalyst control panel and my monitor. The 'something wrong' is....uuhh.. well, I can see something wrong with every single text on my screen. There's like an unnecessary shadow of something on the letters. Ugh, I really don't know how to describe it. But I know there is something wrong. I can only vaguely see it on any text on my screen(white background) but can't see it anywhere else. It's really annoying the crap out of me because I don't know what I've done wrong. When I first booted up the card and installed the driver with the CD provided(did not restart), it was working perfectly. Then after I uninstalled the nVidia Driver and restarted, all hell broke lose. OpenCL.dll problem(which I fixed already), and this 'something wrong' problem which I've no idea how to fix.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Uninstall current AMD drivers, use driver sweeper and clear all nvidia/amd/ati drivers , reinstall 12.4 and report back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

N64 wrote: »
    Uninstall current AMD drivers, use driver sweeper and clear all nvidia/amd/ati drivers , reinstall 12.4 and report back

Still the same thing..I've still got the 'something wrong' problem..It really annoys me. The texts on my screen have some kind of a very thing shadow which makes it sort of look like 3d but not really. AAAHHHHHH. -.-

Hmm. Does this problem only occur on your browser, or does it occur everywhere on windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

maybe some sort of over scan thing going on?

Hmm. Does this problem only occur on your browser, or does it occur everywhere on windows?

Browser, when I right-click, etc. More visible when on a white background. Have to admit though, it's less on webpages. It's only really visible on browsers on the text on the actual browser, you can hardly see it on webpages. I can see it A LOT more clearly when I'm right-clicking on the desktop. I can also see it on the taskbar clock.
    Tea_Bag wrote: »
    maybe some sort of over scan thing going on?

What's that?

• Advertisement

Strange problem alright. Have you considered re installing windows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

after uninstalling the current drivers, you should reboot into safe mode then run driver sweeper as administrator. i had problems with CCC before and nothing would work properly until i performed these steps.

if that doesn't help.. a screenshot might help so we can see what yer on about :)

Strange problem alright. Have you considered re installing windows?

Don't really want to and I don't think it's the problem because everything was ok when I was using the 8800GTX. :P

dyer wrote: »
    after uninstalling the current drivers, you should reboot into safe mode then run driver sweeper as administrator. i had problems with CCC before and nothing would work properly until i performed these steps.

if that doesn't help.. a screenshot might help so we can see what yer on about :)

My eyes are kind of just starting to blend into the change. I thought of the screenshot but I also thought that this being the graphics card, couldn't it just be the output onto my screen and not the actual picture that the computer is supposed to send to my screen? And if I screenshot and send to you, it might look just normal. Anyway, worth a shot. Here we go. :)

ap9u9v.png

I am not sure if you can see or not but there's that kind of white shadow thing on the text. I can see some sort of shadow on the other text like the 'next desktop background' as well which didn't exist before. You probably wouldn't notice because there's no 'before' and 'after' comparison we could do. Thank you all for your help. :d

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Lava,

Have you tried running cleartype? Might just be all it is if its only text that looks odd. What cable are you using to connect to the monitor? is it in plugged in fully, do you have a spare one to try?

glynf wrote: »
    Lava,

Have you tried running cleartype? Might just be all it is if its only text that looks odd. What cable are you using to connect to the monitor? is it in plugged in fully, do you have a spare one to try?

I can only see cleartype tuner for XP.. Is that it?

Well, thinking about it, it might just be because the difference of this 'screen' to my previous 'screen' is just too friggin' small but slightly noticeable(in some cases), that there is also a difference when I play games but I just can't notice it.

I'm using a VGA cable -> into a VGA to DVI -> 7850 DVI slot. I just really don't think that it's the cable because when I was using my 8800GTX everything was fine but when I upgraded to this 7850, I start noticing this little thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I think I know what you are referring to, try disabling morphological filtering in the catalyst control center.

I think I know what you are referring to, try disabling morphological filtering in the catalyst control center.

Since you replied, I have been trying to find where that setting is. Could you direct me please? I am not really familiar with AMD at all so I wouldn't know. Sorry about that.

***EDIT: Found it. Apparently, it isn't on. So what now? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Detick the box? :p I don't think it would make a difference but its work a shot (since it only seems to effect text in a 3d application,such as a game)

Also, you should try downloading the newest AMD catalyst drivers for your 7850 (12.6) which were just released yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

ap9u9v.png

the text in that image looks fine to me (i notice something small on the word 'refresh' but its neglible). i've read elsewhere that the 7850 has some problems with vga to dvi converters and some monitors.. i dont know if that might be your problem. link to that post here.

to adjust clear type in windows 7.. just press start and type in clear type.. it should pop up in your list of programs.

dyer wrote: »
    ap9u9v.png

the text in that image looks fine to me (i notice something small on the word 'refresh' but its neglible). i've read elsewhere that the 7850 has some problems with vga to dvi converters and some monitors.. i dont know if that might be your problem. link to that post here.

to adjust clear type in windows 7.. just press start and type in clear type.. it should pop up in your list of programs.

Yeah I also thought that it may well be negligible, but it's just that it's really annoying my eyes because I have never seen/experienced it before with my previous, much older, 8800GTX. Quite annoying that this 7850 which is just so much ****ing better than the 8800GTX(currently overclocking and I'm at 1070 :D), has this teeny tiny problem. I've tried turning off clear type, same thing, shadow on highlighted selection, small amount of it on the others(and it looks better when on), so I just switched it straight back on. I'll try and grab a DVI cable if I have one lying around. Thanks for all the help.

By the way, to anyone looking to purchase one of these, beware that the **ACTIVE** mini displayport adapter cost about 28 euro minimum each. Active ones are needed to be able to use eyefinity/multiple displays(extended, not eyefinity).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Since you replied, I have been trying to find where that setting is. Could you direct me please? I am not really familiar with AMD at all so I wouldn't know. Sorry about that.

***EDIT: Found it. Apparently, it isn't on. So what now? :(

Ah sorry man, was similar enough to an issue I had with text before when I got these 6950's, so I thought it would be the same thing.

Ah sorry man, was similar enough to an issue I had with text before when I got these 6950's, so I thought it would be the same thing.

That's quite alright man. I would've wanted to know all possibilities anyway, so yeah. :) Thanks again.

Advertisement