Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

120m dead hedge - what to do...

Options
  • 28-06-2012 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi All,

There's a hedge in my parents house in the back garden that has died (about 18 months ago).

Its a big hedge - about 120m x 10ft high x 6ft wide, and rather than looking at it rot for the next 5 years I'm wondering how best to remove and get rid of it?

I know I'll need a mini digger to dig it up but am wondering if I can "chip" the branches, burn it or if I'll need to look at 20-30 skip loads/trailer loads to remove it?

(If I do have to remove it from the site rather than chip/burn, where exactly can I get rid of it? If a farmer can't chip/burn it they're not going to want it either I'm assuming!! I don't fancy land-fill charges for it!).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 useurname

Hi, If your in the Cork area you can bring trailor loads tied down to the kinsale roundabout dump or to your local civic amenity collector you'll find them online.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

Cool thanks - they're based in kerry so I'll try the dump near tralee. Do you know if they're free or if I'd have to pay per load?

you'll have to pay, its pay per weight, or the prices for civic amenity sites are on there websites google the area your in for your nearest amenity site, it can be about 40 a load though so build it up high and strap it down, or cut/dig it out leave it on ground or pile for a few weeks then bring it when all the leaves have fallen off and u can get more in trailor.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

Just in case anyone else is looking - it looks like Eur105/tonne... think I'll try other options first!!

http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/environment/wasterecycling/wastedisposal/#d.en.1190

A tonne is an awful lot of leaves and hedging, sounds like you only have about a quarter tonne load.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Loweface

You should be able to rent a chipper fairly easy. Depending on the type of bush and the amount of work you're willing to put it...

A small chipper will take more time but be cheaper, a big chipper may be quicker but could be quiker though might need nore safety measures... Balance really.

If you do go the chipping route you can bring it to a lot of the recyling centres that take garden waste. It would be very cheap if chipped because it'd done by car load / trailer load for domestic customers...

Though if you have an area big enough to have 120m of hedge there is probably a corner you could pile it in...

Advertisement