Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google announces Chrome for iOS

• 28-06-2012 7:54pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Huge fan of Chrome and having recently purchased the new iPad I'm delighted with the announcement.

Full story here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Been playing away with it there for a bit. It's pretty mint!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Ive just searched in the App Store and I can't find it....I've searched for "Google", "Chrome" and "Google Chrome" but no luck...what am I doing wrong lads??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Link to Google Chrome.

When I used Windows Chrome was my primary browser. But since switching to Mac I just use Safari as it's a lot easier with the whole iCloud and bookmark sync etc.

But now Chrome has brought out this brilliant app. I have my likes and dislikes about Google but have to say they really nailed it with Chrome. Such a brilliant browser and works flawlessly between my Macbook Pro, iPhone 4 and the new iPad. Opened a webpage on my Macbook and within seconds it was on both my iOS devices. Brilliant job by Google.

Probably gonna stick with Safari for now but it's great having Chrome as a backup for all 3 devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Can this be downloaded in Ireland ? cant find it in the app store

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

According to this http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406477,00.asp it's just a skin over safari (all that Apple will allow) so is guaranteed not to run as well as safari. Has any one noticed that the new boards skin really slows down Safari on the iphone4 (I'm talking about the full site as I hate the mobile one)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Just downloading now to try out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

how do you get it from itunes onto your ipod touch ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

threein99 wrote: »
    how do you get it from itunes onto your ipod touch ? :confused:
    Tap DubDJ's link.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

digitaldr wrote: »
    According to this http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406477,00.asp it's just a skin over safari (all that Apple will allow) so is guaranteed not to run as well as safari.
    Yeah, like all third party browsers on iOS, it has to use Safari's rendering engine (minus a few performance enhancing features), meaning it's really just Safari with Chrome's interface. However, Safari and Chrome are both WebKit anyway, so there's not a lot between them. I'd imagine this app will appeal mostly to people looking for greater integration with Google services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Looks good to me. Anyone know how to put bookmarks on the browser?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Just playing with it now and I'm very impressed with the tab switching. And of course the omnibar. I find it strange that Apple are adding this to Safari in OS X but not iOS 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Looks like there are people having trouble getting to it at the moment, seems Google might have released it prematurely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Can't import bookmarks!!?

I'm out, or back to the Diigo browser for iPad infact.

The black space at the top looks crap on the iPad, and the tabs don't work as well as they do on the iPhone. Scrolling is also very poor compared to Safari (which, to be fair, is due to limitations imposed by Apple). And why is the onscreen keyboard so much bigger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Syncing not working for me. Can't import bookmarks. Also keeps telling me my Google Chrome account is out of date. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Has any one noticed that the new boards skin really slows down Safari on the iphone4 (I'm talking about the full site as I hate the mobile one)

Yes, it's dreadful - zooming in takes an eternity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

"the item you tried to buy is no longer available"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'm just playing around with it now and unless there's a way to have a bookmark bar, I'm going back to Safari. It's nice being able to see my bookmarks from my Mac on my Ipad but if I have to click the button on the top right to get into them every time, it's going to be a pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Just playing with it now and I'm very impressed with the tab switching. And of course the omnibar. I find it strange that Apple are adding this to Safari in OS X but not iOS 6.

Same here. I thought it would be a given since they implemented it in Safari for OS X. But then now iOS omnibar. Pity but i'm sure they'll add it to iOS 7 or 8 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Just downloaded and very impressed so far, very fast and and the tab switching looks very well, thumbs up from me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

Reganovski wrote: »
    Looks good to me. Anyone know how to put bookmarks on the browser?
    Click the settings icon beside the address bar & then click the star on the dropdown:
    2328c.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

jeckle wrote: »
    Click the settings icon beside the address bar & then click the star on the dropdown:
    2328c.png

Thanks but I was talking bout iPad. I want to put my saved bookmarks across the top of my browser same as you'd have on a desktop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Batesy wrote: »
    Can't import bookmarks!!?

I'm out, or back to the Diigo browser for iPad infact.

Yeah can't import bookmarks and no bookmarks along the browser either.

Sticking with Diigo as well, disappointing because I use Diigo because it most similar to chrome on windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Just reading a few reviews of this and apparently clicking on links in mail or other programs will still automatically open in Safari so even if you want to switch to Chrome full time, you can't leave Safari behind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

According to this http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406477,00.asp it's just a skin over safari (all that Apple will allow) so is guaranteed not to run as well as safari.
    Is Chrome not based on WebKit, which was initially created by Apple for Safari anyway?
    (Ok, Ok, Google can modify and optimise it more on PC / Mac).

I've taken it for a quick spin on 3Gs - it's OK, but as expected not quite as fast as Safari.
    I actually miss the 'Reader' functionality from Safari, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I'm really liking it actually, I still use FF on PC, but this is much better than opera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Since it can't use the Nitro JS engine it won't be as fast as Safari, so you're sacrificing speed for the features. I've been using it for a while now and don't see myself going back to Safari any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Just reading a few reviews of this and apparently clicking on links in mail or other programs will still automatically open in Safari so even if you want to switch to Chrome full time, you can't leave Safari behind

if your jailbroken, just install BrowserChooser tweak (rpetri.ch/repo), bye bye safari

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

was excited about this until i realised it wouldn't have nitro and you can't set it as your default browser.

it's a shame as it's the first must have google app on iOS that's actually not flawed by their own control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Still getting the Sync error. Any ideas on fixing it?

Advertisement