Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wear and tear

Options
  • 28-06-2012 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if this would be considered wear and tear. Have been renting an apartment for over 3 years now and everything in good enough shape apart from the leather couch.

The couch has become worn and i don't believe it was new when we moved in. It is a beige leather sofa and can't really tell if it's that expensive but basically it has faded and some of the beige paint has come off with a slightly darker colour underneath. I have tried cleaning it with a leather cleaner but it remains the same really. Would this be considered wear and tear or could the landlord claim this as damage and take a large chunk of my deposit?

all opinions welcome,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 useurname

in my opinion its wear and tear, if you genuinely did not damage it then its wear and tear, if he tries to take some of your deposit tell him to produce photos of the before rental and u will accept else you will take a claim to the prtb board whom he is prob not registered with you can check this on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭grinder23

useurname wrote: »
    in my opinion its wear and tear, if you genuinely did not damage it then its wear and tear, if he tries to take some of your deposit tell him to produce photos of the before rental and u will accept else you will take a claim to the prtb board whom he is prob not registered with you can check this on their website.

why do you presume he is not registered with the prtb?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

grinder23 wrote: »
    why do you presume he is not registered with the prtb?

Very good question.

Useurname- if you want to go making wide sweeping statements like this- back them up with something- so don't make them. It is an offence, and becoming a more and more serious offence by the day- not to register with the PRTB. Implying the landlord is not registered without a shard of evidence to support this- is blatantly unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 useurname

All,

My reference to the fact that the landlord is possibly unregistered is due to the fact that I am a landlord myself and yet at every rental period I register the tenants and they have never experienced this before or are aware of the prtb board, and have ALL said there previous landlord hadnt done so, on these facts I base my premise, it is also widely known that a lot of landlords arent registered with the prtb, and also of the landlords I know myself the majority dont register thre tenants, on these Facts I assume a high percentage that a landlord is not registered, even having relocated myself the house I rented at one stage the landlord was not registered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

useurname wrote: »
    All,

My reference to the fact that the landlord is possibly unregistered is due to the fact that I am a landlord myself and yet at every rental period I register the tenants and they have never experienced this before or are aware of the prtb board, and have ALL said there previous landlord hadnt done so, on these facts I base my premise, it is also widely known that a lot of landlords arent registered with the prtb, and also of the landlords I know myself the majority dont register thre tenants, on these Facts I assume a high percentage that a landlord is not registered, even having relocated myself the house I rented at one stage the landlord was not registered.

So still no evidence?

OP, after 3 years wear and tear like that is expected and especially since it wasnt new when you moved in. Good luck with your move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Limericks wrote: »
    So still no evidence?

OP, after 3 years wear and tear like that is expected and especially since it wasnt new when you moved in. Good luck with your move.

+1
    3 years from a used sofa isn't bad.

Advertisement