Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain Biking around Bray/Greystones

Options
  • 28-06-2012 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Anyone have any tips or routes for Mountain Biking around Bray/Greystones?

I did this on Bray Head yesterday - cliff path over, and then back via the public right of way behind the golf course.

I've also done Kindlestown Forest and the Glen of the Downs.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

hoags wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips or routes for Mountain Biking around Bray/Greystones?

I did this on Bray Head yesterday - cliff path over, and then back via the public right of way behind the golf course.

I've also done Kindlestown Forest and the Glen of the Downs.

Any other suggestions?
    up the farankelly rd. to kilpeddar .turn right down to willow grove pub on your right..veer left..after a half klick turn up a very steep hill at the top you find a row of units on your left.take the turn opposite (small lane)few hundred meters further you come to a house on your left...immediately to the left of house is a track...you have to push to the top(tough going) BUT at the top its a forest track to your left then (at the firing range sign) 4/5k of down hill stunning views south to wicklow town..follow track come to firing range then to tarmac rd..left down hill all the way back to kilpeddar..you actually cycle the profile of downshill as you look behind charlesland you see it...(gets bike)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

About half way along your route over Bray head you can drop down the front of the head back to the cliff walk. There is a well worn path and its fairly steep. Less cyling on Roads.

Have you tried the ones on Djouce?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hoags

Thanks for those - will definitely try Kilpedder.

@Fiachra2 Haven't tried Djouce - is that just using the paths in there or are there bike routes as well.

I've also been wondering about dropping down from the top of the head back to the cliff walk. There is a steep descent over some very rocky terrain which may do it (may have to get over a small stone wall as well). On the map you can see roughly where it is, where I start going west after coming south over the head. Is that where you are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

There are lots of MTB trails around Djouce woods. Search YouTube for 'Gravity Enduro Djouce' and you'll get an idea of whats up there.
    You can also link across to the Coillte trails in Ballinastoe from Djouce.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Guys - you are getting my mouth watering here. Only tried glen of the downs a few times so a total beginner but might just wheel out again to try some of these. Have walked Djouce and run it but never cycled it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭joeduke

Djouce is the best MTBing in Ireland.. you can spend the whole day up there, weekends are best to try as there will be many bikers there so just follow a few of them and you will find your way around. The Leadmines on the hill above Shankill is also worth a try, you can see the old Leadmines Tower from the M50:)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Thanks for those - will definitely try Kilpedder.

@Fiachra2 Haven't tried Djouce - is that just using the paths in there or are there bike routes as well.

I've also been wondering about dropping down from the top of the head back to the cliff walk. There is a steep descent over some very rocky terrain which may do it (may have to get over a small stone wall as well). On the map you can see roughly where it is, where I start going west after coming south over the head. Is that where you are talking about?

Right there. You would have to be pretty good to get down the rocky bit but after that its easy. Follow the path down towards the houses till it swings left and that will bring you to the cliff walk.

To get to Djouce as mentioned above look at the Coillte website. The entrace is easy to find at the weekend as there will be loads of bikers up there. Its not crowded though. Superb early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

you could also try up around the sugarloaf its short but quite good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

liking this thread! I'd be a fair weather biker shying away from rain, but do need to get out more...

@ OP, what device do you use to track routes? It's savage seeing the trip so detailed.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Not sure if the question is directed at me ( am I @OP in this instance?). In any case the software I use for tracking is Sportstracklive, Android APP on my HTC Desire S with a bluetooth heart rate monitor (Zephyr). There are however lots of other alternatives out there as well - endomondo or mapmyrun springs to mind.

Thanks everyone else for all the tips on the routes. Djouce sounds like I should explore it more. My attitude to biking is that if I'm going biking I should be able to cycle from my house - Djouce is just within range from Greystones. I cycled up to Ballinastoe one day on the MTB from Greystones (via Kilpeddar), shattered by the time I got up there, fell off bike at entrance, turned around and cycled back in about half the time it took me to get up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mak78

Another decent spin is along the coastal path from Kilcoole to Newcastle, and on to Wicklow if you want. Head down Sea Road to the train station at Kilcoole, cross over the tracks and turn right. Its a dead flat track (mostly grass with a few sandy bits at the start). When you get to the railway bridge you have to cross over on the tracks and then jump the fence on the right hand side and you can continue on alongside the airstrip to Newcastle station. You can keep going all the way to the Murrough in Wicklow. More of a cross country type spin, nothing too strenuous, but really enjoyable early morning or evening time.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

I'd advise using the Strava app. It tracks in the same way as MapMyRide, Endomondo etc but also has a 'segment' feature.
    Other users mark certain sections of their ride as a segment, these then become visible to all users. When you complete the same segment on your cycle, you are ranked against all others that have completed that segment.
    The handy thing about it is that all the MTB singletrack runs are marked as segments. So if you're heading up Djouce, Ticknock, Ballinastoe, GOTD just check out Strava before you go and it'll show you exactly where to go, you'll get to know the proper names for the trails too.
    Hope I explained that ok. Just check out www.strava.com

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mak78

+1 for Strava

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Mullie wrote: »
    I'd advise using the Strava app. It tracks in the same way as MapMyRide, Endomondo etc but also has a 'segment' feature.
    Other users mark certain sections of their ride as a segment, these then become visible to all users. When you complete the same segment on your cycle, you are ranked against all others that have completed that segment.
    The handy thing about it is that all the MTB singletrack runs are marked as segments. So if you're heading up Djouce, Ticknock, Ballinastoe, GOTD just check out Strava before you go and it'll show you exactly where to go, you'll get to know the proper names for the trails too.
    Hope I explained that ok. Just check out www.strava.com

MapMyRide are starting to do this in their new version too.
    Slightly off topic but if your looking for a weekend away go to ballyhoura, it is amazing. 100km of official mountain bike tracks something for every one, with parking, jet washes, showers, snack shop, and i think campsite. http://www.ballyhouramtb.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

+1 on the ballyhouras,

very long manicured trails, some interesting woodwork & bridges, great views, good facilities, easy run down on the motorway.

stayed in these forest houses last time which are just stunning & 10min cycle away
    www.ballyhouraforestluxuryhomes.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The way up to Downs Hill is a path starting exactly here, just at the side of the old cottage/house;

www.loc8code.com/skx-03-z66

Go up the steps directly under the N11 flyover at Barry's Bridge, and then on up through the old Downs Village fair green, past the cannabis sheds to the path. Up on the hill, its really just a plain forest road circuit, but some nice views.

I did it at the weekend without looking too closely at the directions and the loc8code. Found the path eventually, but from the summit side.

If coming from Kilpedder, keep going past the Willow Grove pub, until there is a No Entry sign on the road; there is a road just to the left of this which will bring you up to the units mentioned in Maudi's post. Equally if coming from the Glen of the Downs, cycling up the one-way road, turn right where the road becomes 2-way.

This is the link to the helter-skelter route I did, where I came around the back of it:

http://www.sportstracklive.com/track/map#mjhogan2000/Mountain-Biking/Greystones/717241/full

Oh and better bring a machete - there is some growth on that path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

I did it at the weekend without looking too closely at the directions and the loc8code. Found the path eventually, but from the summit side.

If coming from Kilpedder, keep going past the Willow Grove pub, until there is a No Entry sign on the road; there is a road just to the left of this which will bring you up to the units mentioned in Maudi's post. Equally if coming from the Glen of the Downs, cycling up the one-way road, turn right where the road becomes 2-way.

This is the link to the helter-skelter route I did, where I came around the back of it:

http://www.sportstracklive.com/track/map#mjhogan2000/Mountain-Biking/Greystones/717241/full

Oh and better bring a machete - there is some growth on that path.
    Iive just completed the downs hill route again...that path IS really overgrown..and the flies...but still ...really enjoyed it again...18k in 1hour 35 minutes...ave speed 12kph...(strava)

Advertisement