Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

URGENT HELP REQUIRED!! (My CAO deadline is Sunday and I am still undecided!!)

• 28-06-2012 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Three days to go to the CAO deadline, and I still don't have a clue. The only thing I know for certain is that I will be attending UCC for financial reasons, and that I don't want to take a year out. At the moment the options I'm looking at are Arts, Computer Science, Biological and Chemical Sciences, Environmental and Earth System Sciences, Physics and Astrophysics and International Development and Food Policy.

My main interests and hobbies probably gear more towards the humanities: English, History and languages (and I'm expecting A1's in History and German and a possible A in English) but I'm worried about closing off doors to the Sciences and a lack of job prospects or focused qualifications if I do an Arts degree (also do you need a higher level B in Maths to study Mathematics or Applied Mathematics in Arts? It says so on one of the leaflets I have but the prospectus doesn't mention it).

My brother is heading into his third year in Biological and Chemical Sciences and recommends it, but while I was generally an A student in Biology and Physics, I didn't much enjoy lab work, am worried about dissections, and haven't studied or ever particularly liked Chemistry. Environmental and Earth System Sciences seems to have less of a Chemistry aspect, but my brother has a higher opinion of the Biological and Chemical Sciences labs and i don't want to close off the Education in the Physical Sciences or the Physiology pathways. I am also worried about closing off Physics.

Likewise, if I do Physics and Astrophysics I am afraid about closing off Biology and whether I'd find the course too demanding (while I enjoyed Physics at LC and found it interesting I sometimes found a few concepts initially hard to grasp, I am expecting the Higher Level C1 in Maths, and not the recommended B, and while I did Applied Maths I was never particularly good and am hoping for the C).

While I'm interested in computers and how software is developed I have never done any sort of computer programming before. While I know that prior experience of programming is not a requisite for the course, I'm worried that I'll enter the course and learn that I actually hate programming. Generally the thing I'm most afraid of happening is that I'll enter a course and will end up dropping out which would be a nightmare for me as it's unlikely my parents will be able to pay the full fees for me to enter a different course and I have always had a passion for learning.

I'm not a particularly social person, in reality I am extremely socially awkward, but I have done a presentation before in front of a small group so I think I should be able to handle the same in college. On the other hand, while I'm not really a 'people person' (which probably rules out most health related degrees) I would love to be able to do something worthwhile with my life and help others and have volunteered many times in the past, which is one of the reasons I'm looking at International Development and Food Policy, which is the course I know the least about. I used to have a slight interest in Law, before I realised I'd never be able to feasibly stand up in court, and the area of human rights and justice interests me. However having never been interested in business I'm nervous in particular about the economic modules. I'm also nervous about the six month work placement abroad, it says in the prospectus that the student is usually expected to pay between 3000 and 4000 euro. Does that include day to day living expenses, or just flights and accommodation? Any information on the placement, including duties and also food in various countries (I'm a notoriously picky eater unfortunately) would be very much appreciated.

Any in depth information on any of the courses would be hugely helpful. Back in January I put Physics down as number one, but I really didn't have a clue and I am still no more enlightened. Also any information on job opportunities or employment statistics resulting from a course would be great. (And please don't use this thread just to needlessly bash a course, I don't mind negative feedback on a course so long as your stated reasons actually come from facts). I am really starting to panic right now and speedy replies are kind of of the essence. I would appreciate any insight you might have, and Thank You SO MUCH if you're actually going to reply after reading this super long post. At this stage, I really need all the help I can get.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Oh dear god paragraphs please! It will make it much easier for us to read and therefore help you!

You don't know what you want to do. That's pretty normal and being worried about closing off opportunities is too. I can't help with most of these worries but I can say this: I've done Physics for the last four years and it is tough going. You would want to really be interested in learning about physics to stick it out because otherwise you'll be torturing yourself and of course you need to be very good at maths. It's all maths. You will not be sitting down and learning about space and black holes and Steven Hawking's theories on reality; you will be doing lots and lots of maths.

If you realise you have a passion for physics and you want to do it then do the programming modules. They're optional, but they should not be. Being able to program is really an integral part of doing any sort of physics and it's a skill you need to pick up but which the course does not necessarily teach you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Ok, firstly, that post is giving me a headache. Paragraphs please!

Secondly, I have backgrounds in Arts and Biochem so if you've any questions, mail away or ask away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Niamh594

ríomhaire wrote: »
    Oh dear god paragraphs please! It will make it much easier for us to read and therefore help you!

You don't know what you want to do. That's pretty normal and being worried about closing off opportunities is too. I can't help with most of these worries but I can say this: I've done Physics for the last four years and it is tough going. You would want to really be interested in learning about physics to stick it out because otherwise you'll be torturing yourself and of course you need to be very good at maths. It's all maths. You will not be sitting down and learning about space and black holes and Steven Hawking's theories on reality; you will be doing lots and lots of maths.

If you realise you have a passion for physics and you want to do it then do the programming modules. They're optional, but they should not be. Being able to program is really an integral part of doing any sort of physics and it's a skill you need to pick up but which the course does not necessarily teach you.
    Thanks so much for your reply! (And sorry about the lack of paragraphing).

I do genuinely like Physics, I'm just really nervous about it's difficulty. Generally I found the LC course easy enough and I think I did well in the exam, but there were areas (mostly in electricity) where I found it difficult to visualise what was going on. I was hoping that in studying Physics in much greater detail in college, that more detailed information would have me to understand the concepts better. Do you think that would be the case, or am I just being naive?

Also I've never had much difficulty with Maths but have remained for the last few months a steady C1 student at higher level (though granted I could have spent more time on maths but chose to focus on my other subjects). I never had any problem with the maths in the LC Physics as I was doing Applied Maths as well so I thought I would be able to handle Physics in college. But when I went to the open day at the start of the year the Physics lecturer said that anyone who isn't a B student in higher level maths wouldn't be able to handle the course. Do you think that a C1 student wouldn't be able to handle the maths? I do actually love maths, I'm just not naturally excellent at it.

Also, a quick question about the programming modules. Are they very difficult if you have never done programming before? And are they only available in certain pathways?

Sorry to bother you with all of these questions, thank you so much for your time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Niamh594

Ok, firstly, that post is giving me a headache. Paragraphs please!

Secondly, I have backgrounds in Arts and Biochem so if you've any questions, mail away or ask away.
    Thanks so much for your reply! (And I've attempted to fix the lack of paragraphing, sorry!)

I was just wondering, what subjects do you have a background in in Arts? I'd probably be most interested in pursuing either History, English, Maths or a foreign language if I did an Arts degree. And is it true that a lot of people who do Arts degrees find it difficult to get a job? The only thing I'm sure about in my life is that I want to travel or work abroad, so the possibility of job opportunities from a degree will probably factor into my decision.

Also, do you think it would be difficult for a person without Leaving Cert Chemistry to do a course that contains Chemistry in college? My brother isn't much help to me in this regard, as he did LC Chemistry. I'm good at Biology but have very little experience with Chemistry and this is putting me off some of the Science courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Niamh594 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your reply! (And I've attempted to fix the lack of paragraphing, sorry!)

I was just wondering, what subjects do you have a background in in Arts? I'd probably be most interested in pursuing either History, English, Maths or a foreign language if I did an Arts degree. And is it true that a lot of people who do Arts degrees find it difficult to get a job? The only thing I'm sure about in my life is that I want to travel or work abroad, so the possibility of job opportunities from a degree will probably factor into my decision.

Also, do you think it would be difficult for a person without Leaving Cert Chemistry to do a course that contains Chemistry in college? My brother isn't much help to me in this regard, as he did LC Chemistry. I'm good at Biology but have very little experience with Chemistry and this is putting me off some of the Science courses.
    If you are confident in maths and with you having done applied maths,why not engineering?

• Advertisement

No worries :P

I'm doing Psych, Soc, Pol and Philosophy! I cant advise you on English, History, Maths or Languages, but Reacher should be able to advise you on History and _meehan_ did English and languages in Arts... so find them to ask questions about those subjects :pac:

Now as for Biochem, I went in having failed LC Chemistry, and I found it a bollox. If you work hard at it, you'll be ok. It is more difficult than LC Chem, but just keep on top of it, keep working, and you can pass it :) Just grab a Leaving Cert Chem book, use that as well as the college textbook, and you'll defo be grand :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

If you haven't decided to play around and see what you can do with a computer Computer science possibly isnt for you. Its not a definate but if you really liked computer science I think you would have tried a bit yourself aready. There are loads of peope that think oh I love using my computer Ill do computer science but then drop out because they realise they are just looking at lines of text for most of the day. If you do computer science you will most likely spend 8 hours infront of a computer screen 5 days a week for the rest of your life. I love the thought of that but many don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭2mature

Hiya, I myself have just finished second year in sports studies and PE. I do History through Arts and it is quite enjoyable!! A friend of mine does something in the sciences and constantly tells me thats where the jobs are...then again I know people who did BIS got good jobs but hate them..

I guess what im trying to say is that while it is important to consider job prospects it is equally important to study something you are interested in and enjoy

P.S. College life in general will help reduce your social awkwardness so dont worry bout that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Hey! Try not to panic too much about the deadline, it won't help when level-headed decision making is necessary! :P

I just finished 1st year arts (can't say I'm home safe into 2nd year yet due to the lateness of the release of the exam results...) and I did English, Psychology, Spanish and Italian.

I'll be honest, if you really think that humanities and languages are the dominant focus of your interests and hobbies (and therefore, naturally, strengths...) then maybe Arts is the course for you.

I love English, and found the course really interesting and stimulating. I didn't like every aspect of it because it is very broad in first year, but I found the majority of it very enjoyable. It is also perfectly manageable as far as a workload goes. It is very useful in encouraging yourself to analyse what's in front of you, rather than describe, and to think about what you're reading. This is a skill that is transferable to other subjects, and one which is largely neglected in the LC. If you have any flare for writing and are willing to work on your critical thinking, you'll find the continuous assessment and the exam aspects of this subject very doable and easy to do well in. I'm definitely keeping it on for my degree - I'm planning on doing 40 credits in it.

I am a bit of a language junkie. I really enjoy learning them, and seeing the similarities between the ones I'm learning. I only did Irish and French for the LC...it's a major regret of mine that I didn't have the cop on in first year of secondary to choose German as an extra language. Spanish is an incredibly easy language to learn imo. The grammar is basic if you already have prior knowledge of another European language, such as French. It's a nice language to speak and to listen to. The Spanish Department in UCC are also excellent, with very good teachers, and good listeners should you have any problems regarding the course. I would highly recommend choosing Spanish if you want to do a language. The way the course is taught is really unique I think, and is definitely a world away from rote-learning set phrases to get you marks in an exam. By the end of the year, you will actually be able to speak and write Spanish to a good standard, provided you learn your grammar and attend your lectures.

I found Italian more difficult than Spanish, although it is more similar to French than Spanish is. Grammatically, it is on a different level of difficulty, but is manageable as long as you keep on top of your homework, go to class, and put the effort in to the grammar. The classes themselves weren't quite as enjoyable as the Spanish as the teaching methods (and teacher...) weren't really up to the same standards at all. I am very happy that I chose to give it a go though as by the end, although I struggled a bit more with it, I had decent-ish knowledge of the language, and had no real problems with the end-of-year exam. I also like a challenge when it comes to languages. :P One aspect of this course, however, which I found very difficult was the Culture module. Unlike yourself, I haven't a flare for History so it really wasn't my thing, even though I'm pretty sure I've done quite well in the exam as I had to study my ass off for it! You, on the other hand, might find it a doddle if you already have a pre-existing interest.

My other subject, psychology, was interesting and challenging. It's one thing trying to critically analyse English literature, but another altogether trying to analyse psychological theories and experiments! It's a subject I like though, and one which I think is necessary for the fields I'm interested in doing a possible postgrad in (Speech & Language Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Play Therapy...).

Which brings me to my next point. You would be hard-pressed to find an Arts graduate who did not go on to pursue a postgrad. And that's the thing. If you're so undecided, a good Arts degree opens up a lot of doors. It wouldn't get you into anything along the lines of Science or Maths, (I don't think) but there are so many other things you can do. There are lots of jobs in Science, but if you work hard enough, just as many options can appear from Arts. Don't be fooled by the low points and the snobbery from other students, it's a good, flexible course which allows you to keep your options open. It's not an easy course either, so don't believe it when people say that Arts students have it easy. Essays are time-consuming, reading is time-consuming. There are 1000 places in Arts in UCC...hence why the points are only 345. If you were to lower the number of places, the demand would remain the same and the points would go up.

Have you considered talking to the careers service in UCC? I'm sure they'd be happy to give advice to a prospective student if you were to ring in the morning.

I don't know if any of that ramble will help you, but good luck anyway with whatever you decide!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

To be honest if you are undecided what to do either do an Arts course for a year and see how you get on or else do a course to bridge between a PLC/fetac and degree.

You won't know unless you try some kind of course to see what you would like to do. Only do a course you would like, have any interest in, though job prospects are important what ever course you choose but you will gain certain level of skills both work ready and transferable skills not just the typical skills you'd learn and develop from a course. Any degree will give you a certain about of skills. Its what you put in is what you get out of a course.

Depending what career path you want to follow if you are undecided on that, either take a year out, work, travel or do a short course, night course, springboard course, part time/full time course or do a PLC/Fetac course. Might help you decide on what you really want.

Weigh up everything pro's and con's of the courses you are interested in and want to do.

At leaving cert level deciding on a course/career is hard, but there are many opportunities as you go on through 3rd level and career that you get a chance to change course or change career. No biggy! Big life decision what ever course and career you decide on. Research all your options open to you at the moment. Research all the courses in as much detail as you can as prospectuses aren't enough not unless you get information from past or current students doing the courses you have any interested in or you yourself would like to do.

All the courses you have mentioned have fairly good career prospects. How I go about your choice of course is, go with a course you know you'd like, be good at, have an interest in, really want and may have good job prospects, definitely go with one that might have work placement as part of the course, it will stand too you in this recession if you aren't prepared to take a gap/year out.

Divide up subjects you are brilliant in, in between in and not ok in, divide up the subjects that you have an extreme and passionate interest in and compare those to the ones you least like. Whittle it down a bit I say. Too choice is good but sometimes can be a bad thing if you haven't a clue what direction to go.

What subjects you like and not like, good and not good, what career you always liked or would like, what you are passionate about, keen interest in. Personality and hobbies have a role to play too not just academic achievements. Usually what career or course subject be suited to you personally! Is there an area you always had an interest or have qualities you have developed from you were younger that might encourage you to pursue a particular course/career?

Science is obviously your keen interest so basically focus on that, but Arts can be good or bad depends on what skills you want to develop and what career path you want. Arts is great if you want to teach or explore other career areas you could branch off after into something specific. With Science its constant learning though, learning never stops and often may need to go into research, beyond a degree like.

I think if you doing an Arts in Maths I don't think honours maths is a requirement it would be if it were a strict maths course in the science department I think that is the case. The prospectus will give you an idea anyway but get in touch with someone to clarify. If you getting good grades and your interest and hobbies lie with humanities and languages maybe look into that or a combined course that has maths and languages? Arts be good enough to accommodate what subjects you have an interest in. Economics be good with History and Law like.

Good prospects with Arts though compared to a specific course you are tided down to that area only, at least with arts you can branch out a bit but it depends sometimes specific area might be better than too varied an area though both opens doors and opportunities no matter what course you decide on!

Science was never my strong point though good at some areas of it in particular Biology. Though good at Geography and Home Ec too I didn't do Biology for the LC I did geography and Home Ec instead. Delighted with my choice though, they were my best subjects in the LC.
    If you no mad on biology then I wouldn't go for it though if you think you might close off biology if you do another science course, well I doubt you would though most science courses have a mixture of all three of the main science subjects but focus on one mainly depending on the course. There surely be an option to do something related to biology even if you did physics/chemistry/astrophysics. They all science subjects like? Some might overlap depending. Though if you really really and truly like physics/astrophysics they be worth exploring and finding more information on them!

I don't know most science course subjects intertwine to an extent but maybe under a different module title.

Like for food course you have biology and chemistry be the main science subjects.

Computers, well you won't know unless you try, maybe start off small, do a night course in programming or teach yourself to program! Plenty of short courses you could do in it to give you a taster in case you think you might find it too hard and drop out of the degree in it. Plenty of courses out there that complement each other as well like business and IT if you have any interest like BIS?

If you had any issues with maths I would avoid it at all possible it break your heart even if you have an interest in it, if you think you struggle with it best to avoid it and that go for any subject on this matter.

Best to go with a subject area you'd like, be good at, have an interest in and stick with it for as long as you can otherwise you might give up on it but no harm in doing that nothing wrong with a career change like.

You went to UCC open day - did you get the information you were looking for on the day from talks and so on? Was it of any help? Take advice from the lecturers you met on open day though.

I think get in touch with co-ordinators of the courses you are interested in, they be great to give you information and advice on courses. Have all your questions ready for them to answer.

It be better than you drop out of a course you end up hating or not benefiting from it. Otherwise you keep on going with it and you get nowhere with it. Best all round to go with a course you be happy with. It could take a few attempts to get that right! Only very few get it right the first time! I know a load of people who do a course, drop out or change/transfer to another course, do a different course after and so on not sure what course or career they really want. If you don't know what career you want it be harder to decide on a course you want to do!

If you have a passion for learning then that be your first clue as to what you like to do!!! Is it that you like learning new things, constantly learning something new and different, that you find it a challenge but rewarding as well, Then maybe Arts in terms of teaching or Science in terms of research be best all round for you?

Basing on what you said, maybe science or computing suit you. Physio you'd need biology.

A slight interest in law, I don't know it can be pretty hard and tough going area. The course and trying to find work in it at the moment. It good to have but I did law as a module a few times and it was hard like. A lot of rote learning and critical thinking. International development, if you know least about it I think you need to get more details about it but if you half hesitant about the area then avoid it. Not knowing enough information about a course could be critical and disastrous for career choices. I think you answered your own question there about the law though by not wanting to stand up in court, if presentation and public speaking is a bit iffy for you maybe try to avoid a course/job that involves that mostly lab or essay or practical work. Though most courses you do you learn a certain about of presentation and public speaking as you might have present a project to your lecturer and or class!? You develop confidence on that front.

I am a fussy eater too and I would find it hard to find food I like any time I am abroad. I think steer clear of a work placement where you might have to go abroad, sounds great if you into that sort of thing like. Human rights and justice is a good area though.

What have you got a flare for though?

History isn't a bad area to study though, good with either English, Economics or Law. Though History or English be your best bet of them in terms teaching or getting a job in, History be a better option in this case I think. I liked History in school, if I were to have gone into secondary teaching been in history and or geography and computers perhaps maybe business.

If you ever found a subject difficult or too impossible to do or grasp best to avoid it that is coming from experience mind!

Depending how you think you did in your LC and what you got in your JC be a reflection what you are good at and interested in and be worth pursing those you have done well in, in school.

Programming, I have learnt it from scratch in college and it can be hard, not always easy to pick up and grasp but depending on programming language you might be great at one over the other or the vast majority. If you get to grips with them early on, principles and concepts you be grand. Practise is key really on improving in programming even those start off! A lot of it is down to understanding not just the logical procedure and coding aspect!

I think there is a restriction though with science courses, you need to have at least two science subjects in the LC. If chemistry isn't your thing best to avoid it all together, if you good at biology and like physics best to combine those two areas.

Regardless of the course you go for, hopefully you enjoy it and get on great with it. If you think you excel in it go with that! Not just where the jobs are go with what you like, enjoy and interested in and good at like. Being half hearted about a subject will only end in tears. It be a longer route to your destined career. You get to learn a lot of new skills and develop a load of them while in college and it help you all round. Make you grow as a person, you meet lots of new people. Just do a course you think you do well in and that you'd love!!

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Lord Bafford

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Someone has far too much time on their hands. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Having done physics at UCC I would suggest the following to you:

*Don't do physics unless you are really, really passionate about it.
    *If you are really, really passionate about it then look at studying it somewhere else because, in all honesty, I had some bad experiences with the UCC physics department and wouldn't be quick to recommend the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

Three days to go to the CAO deadline, and I still don't have a clue

just thought i'd say the deadline is saturday at 5pm as far as i know, just in case u get caught out :O

123 LC wrote: »
    just thought i'd say the deadline is saturday at 5pm as far as i know, just in case u get caught out :O

Its Sunday at 5.15pm! July 1st! Double checked the CAO handbook :)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

lol my bad i thought tomorrow was the 1st :L thats's good, 1 more day to decide :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Dont do Arts anyway.

closeline wrote: »
    Dont do Arts anyway.

Whats wrong with Arts?

Arts is 50/50 depends what Arts course to do really - chose one wisely but nothing wrong with Arts but picking out the right Arts course is important.

Though a specific Bs, Sc or Eng courses can be better recognised than Arts but the beauty of Arts though not ideal in the recession but handy for teaching or if you want to branch off into something more specific if you unsure what area you want to pursue in your career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

closeline wrote: »
    Dont do Arts anyway.

Lovely :rolleyes:

Arts doesn't just lead into teaching jobs. You can do a postgrad in something completely unrelated if you like. A lot of postgrads only require that you have a degree, plus some experience in the relevant area.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭Steba

If you're undecided then I wouldn't suggest Physics, it's got one of the largest drop out rates.
    If you're looking for a course that results in social interactions ( Basically helping people ) then social science
    Arts is a good foundation but if you're good at maths and applied maths, engineering would be a good choice.

Sorry if this has been said already but I didn't have time to read that book you wrote in full, have you talked to a career guidence councillor outside of your school? I found that ones working in a school are generally less enthusiastic and always have some preferred course that they'd like to push!

I was told to do commerce and Chinese studies, never did a business subject or expressed an interest in languages :L

• Advertisement

If you have an interest in something go with it but be careful what ever decision you go with if you are still undecided. Best of luck with it OP.

Advertisement