Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Book Data Base?

Options
  • 28-06-2012 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi guys, I use a web site called Internet movie database were you can rate movies you have seen and save ones you haven’t to a list.
    Based on you ratings the site suggests tittles to you that you may like.
    Does any one know a site like this for books

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

goodreads is brilliant. once you rate 50 books (i think) - it will start giving recommendations of books. Basically rate books you have already read - rather than waiting while you read the books till you rate.

you can list the categories of books you like to read... But what I really like about the site are all the lists. They are lists on everything & I mean everything... Some of the best/worst ones are funny are the same books come up on both. They also have quizzes & forums.

They also feature the authors, have a blurb about them & link then to their blogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

Goodreads is a cool site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Goodreads is alright, I use it simply to keep track of what I read and also to keep track of what I want to read.

The lists are useful to get ideas on what to read, but I wouldn't put much faith in them otherwise. The Twilight and Harry Potter books occupy 7 out of the top 10 books ever list ffs. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I started using Goodreads too recently, very good site. It's handy for keeping track of all the books you have/read/to read, and I found that there are some top quality reviews of books that you might not see on Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Goodreads also has smartphone versions which are handy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The app is useless imo, it's never worked properly on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

I started using Goodreads too recently, very good site. It's handy for keeping track of all the books you have/read/to read, and I found that there are some top quality reviews of books that you might not see on Amazon.

I know, I review on Goodreads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭steve_r

Does the recomendations feature work for anyone at the moment?

I added a load of books yesterday, in the hopes that I would be directed to stuff I would really enjoy, but the damm thing just keeps stalling.

I'm worried that it's judging the books I've read and my opinions on them, and now doesn't want the likes of me on its fine website........:(

Advertisement