Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile broadband router

Options
  • 28-06-2012 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at buying a mobile broadband router something like the one shown here commsoft.ie/shop/tiny.php. This would be used with a USB modem and give a wifi signal used by a mobile, or laptop etc..

Has anybody ever used something like this and comment on whether they are any good, issues which might arise etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

I have this one

http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/WL330N3G/

and find it excellent, able to convert wired broadband to wireless, can work as a repeater, and also works with a number of 3G USB modems.

hard to find though, finally tracked one down in Canada Computers in Toronto last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭dixiedan

Thanks for this quick reply, cool moose.

Certainly looks like a great device. It's available now on elara.ie. If I can confirm that it would work with my Vodafone K3765, I will certainly consider buying it. Cheaper too than the other one I was looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭dixiedan

I went ahead and bought this Asus router from elara.ie. Ordered on Friday 29th and was delivered on Tuesday 3rd July. Total price, including delivery, was a reasonable 60 euro... a good deal cheaper than my original choice.

I had it up and running with my Vodafone K3765 in no time. All I had to do was put in the correct APN etc. on the web interface. It does not "officially" work on the Vodafone Ireland network in the sense that Vodafone Ireland is not included in the list of networks you can select. However, once the correct APN is entered manually, no problems.

I haven't tried any of the other functions yet..in fact I will mostly use it with the K3765 anyway.

Thanks again for the help :D

Advertisement