Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Audiophiles' Lounge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Braiding some Cat5 to use as cheap speaker cables... 4 pairs per terminal.

jPmISLKzDjHqG.JPG

Just for use with some throwaway bookshelf speakers and a cheap amp, hopefully won't impact performance!

Braiding diagram: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/files/2009/01/img_8114.JPG

Edit: and done. Working great :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Lads just had a listen to 24 bit chesky recording on a fiio x3 and e12 amp driving hd800 headphones. Was mightily impressed. I own hd650 and e12 amp. Thinking of getting the x3 player. I'm just wondering how much of a downgrade would the 650s be over the 800s? I think the 24bit recordings are where it's at. Didn't realise how much of an improvement over CD recordings they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LesIsMore

limnam wrote: »
    Wow, Awful.

I didn't get them done in the end but I had a really nice long and friendly chat with a guy from http://www.hearing.ie/ who really knew is stuff and was reasonably priced IIRC.

Based on this I made an appointment at this place and had my impressions made this morning.Would highly recommend , very nice guy and very reasonably priced.

Finally got my ear impressions done and send to Piotr @ Custom Art. Had a hearing test done as well, was told "you can hear the grass growing" :cool:
    Got them done at Amplifon on Abbey St. They thought I was absolutely barmy for requesting "just impressions" but they did them nonetheless, for €45. No bite-block was supplied so kind of left my mouth open a bit. Hopefully they turn out OK. I expect silicone CIEMs will be more forgiving of impressions than acrylic ones for fit since they are flexible.
    emo72 wrote: »
    Lads just had a listen to 24 bit chesky recording on a fiio x3 and e12 amp driving hd800 headphones. Was mightily impressed. I own hd650 and e12 amp. Thinking of getting the x3 player. I'm just wondering how much of a downgrade would the 650s be over the 800s? I think the 24bit recordings are where it's at. Didn't realise how much of an improvement over CD recordings they were.

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

tl;dr : it's not the bit depth that sounds better, it's the mastering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Brian wrote: »
    Finally got my ear impressions done and send to Piotr @ Custom Art. Had a hearing test done as well, was told "you can hear the grass growing" :cool:

How much did it cost, what CIEMS are you going with?

• Advertisement

marko93 wrote: »
    How much did it cost, what CIEMS are you going with?

Haven't got a full quote yet for my options ... I'm guessing around €400 inc. delivery.

https://www.facebook.com/thecustomart/posts/482608021860024

Haven't got a full quote yet for my options ... I'm guessing around €400 inc. delivery.

https://www.facebook.com/thecustomart/posts/482608021860024

They look pretty sweet!

Braiding some Cat5 to use as cheap speaker cables... 4 pairs per terminal.

Just for use with some throwaway bookshelf speakers and a cheap amp, hopefully won't impact performance!

Braiding diagram: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/files/2009/01/img_8114.JPG

Edit: and done. Working great :)

hi brian do you know anywhere that sells bulk cable for making rca cables, or headphone cables?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

hi brian do you know anywhere that sells bulk cable for making rca cables, or headphone cables?

for headphone cables use qables.com

docentore wrote: »
    for headphone cables use qables.com

what are you upgrading your X3 to? an X5 perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

what are you upgrading your X3 to? an X5 perhaps?

thats correct :) need to sell the X3 first though.

docentore wrote: »
    thats correct :) need to sell the X3 first though.

How much will you be shifting it for?

After my GFX card pooping out and being returned, instead of buying a new one I bought Fidelio X1s :D Now just trying to pick an amp/dac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Gheadphone

Wow, when is the X5 out?

I loved the mod on your X3 docentore, sounds great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭HifiHut: Daniel

Gheadphone wrote: »
    Wow, when is the X5 out?

I loved the mod on your X3 docentore, sounds great.

FiiO are doing a phased rollout of the X5 but we've been promised our first batch in March - so not long.

We'll keep boardsies up to date and might arrange some kind of a launch offer/event once we know they're on the way

Great stuff Daniel, it would be excellent to be able to come in and check the X5 out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Recieved DT990 Pros 250Ω today with Fiio E09k + E07k . First time venturing into audio territory. Was a nightmare for quite some time regarding drivers and stuff but all good now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Anyone have any experience with aliexpress? Just came across this apparent fire sale on FiiO x5s: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fiio-x5-top-hd-hifi-player-mp3/1652618772.html
    I'm assuming it's a scam? But at the same time I've heard it's a a pretty huge and well known site... Still an x5 for €11...?? Gotta be a scam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Anyone have any experience with aliexpress? Just came across this apparent fire sale on FiiO x5s: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fiio-x5-top-hd-hifi-player-mp3/1652618772.html
    I'm assuming it's a scam? But at the same time I've heard it's a a pretty huge and well known site... Still an x5 for €11...?? Gotta be a scam?

If its too good to be true then it usually is.
    Aliexpress is just a market place for sellers like ebay.
    Still, worth a punt at that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭HifiHut: Daniel

100% definitely a scam

• Advertisement

Still a sucker for burning the CDs I have in ALAC.

I did a listening test recently comparing some audio codecs. In a casual portable setup (phone and earphones), I had transparency at > 64 kbps AAC. It was unfamiliar material, but still, I was pretty impressed.

I did a listening test recently comparing some audio codecs. In a casual portable setup (phone and earphones), I had transparency at > 64 kbps AAC. It was unfamiliar material, but still, I was pretty impressed.

Isn't AAC, supposed to be the next best thing after MP3? Never really tried it. Always just went with ALAC were possible, even though I knew I couldn't tell the difference.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'm a little shocked by that if I'm being completely honest, 160kbs was my minimum with AAC, ~112kbs with ogg vorbis (but that was hit and miss so I upped it for convenience) with a setup of a decent set of earphones and just an ipod or a sansa, but then the type of music you listen to will have a major effect - i'm pretty much all metal for instance.

AAC is a technically superior format to MP3, although with LAME's optimisations the audible gap isn't massive (read as "is negligible", although you will notice is at extremes like 64kbps and below) and neither can match vorbis in terms of fidelity@tiny bitrates, it's really amazing what that codec can do.

Im looking at buying the Hifiman HE500s as they have dropped in price on the US sites to 599, what is the cheapest way of buying in Ireland? I assume that through Amazon US the customs is pretty big, but buying from http://hifilounge.co.uk/hifiman-he-500-headphones costs 699 GBP ($1160 vs 599)!!

Perhaps preowned on head-fi?

Thats a possibility Brian, im a bit nervous buying second hand with no comeback though

Will I have to pay duty on these though? Will it be a lot I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

You might not pay duty but VAT is 23% + fees I think.

Almost impossible to find out if duty will be charged but quite possible.

Not sure to be honest, could get lucky and miss it. Never dealt with them, justt know them from when i was considering HE-400s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Took delivery today of a pair of Xiaomi Pistons direct from ibuygou.com.
    I think they were €20 and they pack quite a punch.

Excellent for scooting around town with, cable is shortish, but very happy with the purchase....

check them out!

Not sure to be honest, could get lucky and miss it. Never dealt with them, justt know them from when i was considering HE-400s

Cool, thanks Marko, did you get the 400s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I bought my HE400s from http://www.madooma.com/shopHP/neu_hifiman.html
    Looks like they have the 500s for €599

Thanks PCC. I think it would be cheaper to get them from the US and pay the VAT.

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks Marko, did you get the 400s?

In the end I didn't. I went for the RE400s because I would of got more use out of them. I do regret not getting them or Mad Dogs.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Finally getting around to this "manually adding album art" bullshit, this is actually going to take me all day...good thing there are sports matches on to kill the monotony somewhat, sorta, not really...nearly at "E" though, fuck Dream Theater for having so many albums!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Finally getting around to this "manually adding album art" bullshit, this is actually going to take me all day...good thing there are sports matches on to kill the monotony somewhat, sorta, not really...nearly at "E" though, fuck Dream Theater for having so many albums!

How are you adding it? There's programmes that can help you do it quicker than just going into file properties.

This on foobar?

Custardpi wrote: »
    How are you adding it? There's programmes that can help you do it quicker than just going into file properties.

There is nothing that can do it quicker than i'm currently doing it.

• Advertisement

Morf wrote: »
    This on foobar?

No it's itunes with alac, fixing unembedded album art so that all tracks have their artwork embedded, loads of albums, old albums and the obscure throwing a big spanner in the works too.

Now, I'm not saying I'm easily swayed with my money.... but I did just buy these

http://v-moda.com/crossfade-m-80-shadow-on-ear/

Due to the unsupervised access of my nieces/nephews to my stuff recently the jack adaptor for my Audio Technica Ath M50s has disappeared.

The one for the AD ATH 700s was found in the garden.

What would be the best way to go about finding a replacement?

Without there being a huge rush on it as I only generally use it for the stereo rather than the PC.

I'll try the AT facebook page too.

Edit: Found, crisis over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Took delivery today of a pair of Xiaomi Pistons direct from ibuygou.com.
    I think they were €20 and they pack quite a punch.

Excellent for scooting around town with, cable is shortish, but very happy with the purchase....

check them out!

+1

Now, I'm not saying I'm easily swayed with my money.... but I did just buy these

http://v-moda.com/crossfade-m-80-shadow-on-ear/

Great lil set ;)

Great lil set ;)

They certainly are, but after a bit of time with them, they are not for me. Along with the X1s, they just sit in their box.

Would anyone be interested in these? If anyone is, PM me so I can make an official advert for it.

Does anybody know if there is somebody who recables earbuds in Ireland?

My 5th gen (30gb) iPod has died, after 8 or so years of service. Thank you for the music.

I thought it was simply the battery, but after replacing it (twice) it seems the problem is rooted deeper and no longer is it feasible to repair, one of my Sansa Clip+'s will no be promoted/demoted to "car audio device", it'll be a seamless transition, although I am going to have to buy a new microSD for my other clip+ so I can store all my music on that one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Does anybody know if there is somebody who recables earbuds in Ireland?

I'd say most audio repair places would. I got quoted €60~80 so I didn't bother.

60-80 is pretty expensive alright

• Advertisement
Advertisement