Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Audiophiles' Lounge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

emo72 wrote: »
    will be waiting to see what the hifi hut will be selling it for now. though that deal you got is excellent.

..and still available ;) :P
    http://www.mp4nation.net/fiio-x3-24-192-hifi-digital-audio-player-free-fedex-2-day-to-select-destination

Did they give a time frame of when they may be getting that stuff in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Wonder would there be any chance of them getting some Schiit stuff in? Really tempted (though totally can't afford it right now) by the Magni/Modi combo, would be great to hear it first though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Gheadphone

I asked them about getting in Magnis and Modis, they are looking into it. Im trying to decide between the Schiit combo and an EHS O2D. Anybody any opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Gheadphone wrote: »
    I asked them about getting in Magnis and Modis, they are looking into it. Im trying to decide between the Schiit combo and an EHS O2D. Anybody any opinions?

I've gone off the idea of the Magni/Modi and now I'm eyeing this up

EHP-O2D

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I've been in touch with FiiO in China and agreed terms to distribute their products in Ireland. One of the challenges will be a lack of suitable stores but there are a small handful I think that can carry them, plus a couple of local online stores possibly. Placing an evaluation order with them in the next couple of days - I don't think we'll carry all products quite yet, definitely the X3 obviously and a selection of headphone amps - what are peoples opinions here of the key models to feature locally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

e11
    e12
    e09 with a dac. would they be considered the big sellers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Just ordered the new Sony H1 hybrid in ears. Really looking forward to trying them.

Yeah I was thinking those alright. The E06 then appears to be a big seller on Amazon too... actually it's ranked at their number 1 best seller in that category!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-E06-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005HJWWW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381946755&sr=8-1&keywords=fiio

Wondering also about the E17.

I'd love to take them all but have to be practical and start with a small selection!

the e06 because its so cheap i suppose. i bought 2 when i was away. used it and upgraded a few weeks later. sold the spare one on adverts too. i guess most of us guys that are into this would skip it and go for one of the bigger ones. i have an e07 paired with the e09.

mate make sure you can compete with amazons prices. obviously you are going to be a bit dearer, and thats fine i would rather buy in a shop over here. woildnt like to see you commit to a load of stock and not be able to move it.

• Advertisement

emo72 wrote: »
    the e06 because its so cheap i suppose. i bought 2 when i was away. used it and upgraded a few weeks later. sold the spare one on adverts too. i guess most of us guys that are into this would skip it and go for one of the bigger ones. i have an e07 paired with the e09.

mate make sure you can compete with amazons prices. obviously you are going to be a bit dearer, and thats fine i would rather buy in a shop over here. woildnt like to see you commit to a load of stock and not be able to move it.

Yeah I guess most people here would be going straight for the better units.

Looking at the pricing at the moment to see how it compares, at a glance it looks like we can match the X3 price but I can see the E17 being a struggle while its as low as at is currently on Amazon. It is a risky business alright, especially when buying from China, they don't tend to be the most supportive when it comes to slow moving stock or aggressive competition! The problem (or benefit from a customers perspective!) is that they will go below cost to compete, not so easy for the smaller guys!

I'll dip my toe in anyway and get some samples, worst case scenario I have some new toys! It would be great to see a growing selection though of equipment like this in Ireland, I know a small market but really annoying having to buy all of this from the UK... hopefully the likes of that HIFI Hut store make a mark here in premium equipment.

The Cowon products actually went really well when I brought them in initially a few years back - I think it was probably 2004 or 2005 - we couldn't get enough of the X5 and quite a number of stores were carrying it... peak of the boom though.

I've been in touch with FiiO in China and agreed terms to distribute their products in Ireland. One of the challenges will be a lack of suitable stores but there are a small handful I think that can carry them, plus a couple of local online stores possibly. Placing an evaluation order with them in the next couple of days - I don't think we'll carry all products quite yet, definitely the X3 obviously and a selection of headphone amps - what are peoples opinions here of the key models to feature locally?

E06, E11/12, E10, E17, E09 would the ones I'd suggest (E10 is something I'm personally looking to purchase at some point)

Being able to try an X3 before buying it would be realllly fecking great as well!

I believe that Hifi hut in Dublin will carry the X3, im guessing through you Scubadevils. Looking forward to hearing it

Slightly weird one but has anyone here developed a sensitivity to their cans?

I was fine with my ATH M50s but now the clamping force is too much after a relatively short time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭HifiHut: Daniel

Hi everyone,

We've just had our verified account set up with boards, so I can give you a bit of info.

First off, we deal directly with FIIO - which allows us to match or beat any price on Amazon, as we try our best to do with every brand we supply. Our first shipment should be with us either at the end of next week or just after the bank holiday.

Initially, we're stocking E1, E02i, E07K, E09K, E11, E6, E10, E17, E12 & X3. Most will be on demo in our showrooms, which we're expanding the headphone section of at the moment.

All the products and pricing are live on the site now.

For anyone that's interested, the X5 will be testing in December and going into mass production January/February.

Thanks for all the positive comments, we're still working on a number of new lines so hopefully we can give everyone somewhere closer to home to shop.

Daniel

Hi Daniel, i hope everything goes well for you. really enjoyed listening to some vinyl in your showroom on monday. 1st question, have you got the x3 in now? and second, any special deal for boardsies? deals definitely help:pac:

also interested in a Projekt turntable.

best of luck mate!

• Advertisement

It was good to have you in! Any time you're passing feel free.

The X3s are on their way with the rest of the FIIO stock, so it'll be a week or so. As far a special deals go, let me have a look into that, but we'll try and do something for the boardsies.

We have pretty good stocks of the Pro-ject turntables from Monday. We have the Debut Carbon on demo, along with the Rega RP1 and RP3 for now. Hopefully more in the reasonably near future.

Daniel

Hey Daniel

It was great to meet you guys on Wed, thank you for taking the time with me. Im looking forward to dropping in to try out the X3 when it gets in.

I hope the punters on here will support you! I certainly will.

Mark

Would love to get in and test a few of those FiiO amps. Sadly never have time!

Hi Daniel, good to hear you guys are getting the FiiO stock in. They mentioned they had been speaking with someone else in Ireland, I assumed it was another distributor. I dropped you a note actually during the week re Harman etc, be good to catch up on that front, I'll drop out to you during the week if you are about.

Hi Scubadevils, I've just found your emails. Seems one of the guys in here filed them into a to-do folder that I hadn't seen. I'll pop you a reply off-boards, but yes - it'd be great to get you out to us during the week.

• Advertisement

FiiO cable for TF10s arrived today.... The catch. Its fuuuuckeeeed

marko93 wrote: »
    FiiO cable for TF10s arrived today.... The catch. Its fuuuuckeeeed

Did you get it replaced?

Did you get it replaced?

No, have to print off the label from Amazon and ship it back. No option for replacement, only refund!

Anyone have a recommendation for a FLAC encoder for Mac? I only use Mac now but drag out an old crappy laptop just to rip music which is a bit annoying. I rarely actually play music on the Mac, encoding is just really for portable use on my Cowon S9... I do of course have the compatibility issues to overcome with the S9 on the Mac but that's another days work and another reason why I want that FiiO X3!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

xld

The Fiio stock is in if anyone want's to try before they buy:

jp7eah.jpg

jp7eah.jpg

Great I'll be in tomorrow for an X3. If it's good I may even write a review here

Excellent, I've not got around to anything further with them yet so might swing by and have a look soon! My Cowon S9 is still bugging me in terms of working with the Mac, I hope the same issues don't exist with the FiiO.

jp7eah.jpg

So yeah, if you could just send a E09k and an E17 my way that'd beee greaaaat ;)

damn.

• Advertisement

Anyone have experience with the RHA brand of headphones? Considering distributing them in Ireland, seem to well regarded looking at Amazon reviews - I guess I should check out what headfi folk have to say too. I do like the look of them though...

http://www.rha-audio.com/ie/headphones.html

Wish there were more headphones to try in Ireland. Deciding on my "Christmas" present is bloody tough when I can only base it off other peoples opinions!

Wish there were more headphones to try in Ireland. Deciding on my "Christmas" present is bloody tough when I can only base it off other peoples opinions!

Hey Marko

What is your budget? Pity you didnt make the meet!

Hey Marko

Probably not enough for Beyerdynamic T1s or HD800s. :pac:

Hey Marko

Between work and college I've very little free time! Budget is around 3/350. Thinking of HE400s to tide me over for a few years!
    Morf wrote: »
    Probably not enough for Beyerdynamic T1s or HD800s. :pac:

Maybe one day :o

Between work and college I've very little free time! Budget is around 3/350. Thinking of HE400s to tide me over for a few years!

Well im probably getting the HE400 or HE500s end of the year. You are welcome to meet up and have a listen if i manage to get them before you. Ive heard the HE500s and the HE6 at the New York meet and they are class

Well im probably getting the HE400 or HE500s end of the year. You are welcome to meet up and have a listen if i manage to get them before you. Ive heard the HE500s and the HE6 at the New York meet and they are class

The 500s and the 6s are far out of my budget :(
    was also strongly considering the Mad Dogs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I seem to recall these being reviewed pretty well by Tyll http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057074763

Brian wrote: »
    I seem to recall these being reviewed pretty well by Tyll http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057074763

Jesus. Seriously tempted by that or maybe the UE 900s!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

First post in here,

Building a computer at the moment which has been spec'd. I was going to go with Schiit Modi Magni combo as its relatively cheap and seems to have good reviews and was recommended by somebody on here.

I'm just wondering what way this works regarding external speakers ? I want some but haven't looked into specifics. My understanding is the Schiit combo is for headphones only ?

Can anyone help me out or even make a suggestion for what I'm trying to do.

Thanks

Blitz17 wrote: »
    First post in here,

Building a computer at the moment which has been spec'd. I was going to go with Schiit Modi Magni combo as its relatively cheap and seems to have good reviews and was recommended by somebody on here.

I'm just wondering what way this works regarding external speakers ? I want some but haven't looked into specifics. My understanding is the Schiit combo is for headphones only ?

Can anyone help me out or even make a suggestion for what I'm trying to do.

Thanks

M/M runs from usb, others may use the 3.5mm jack port on the MB.

When you want to switch between the two just right click on the volume icon and set the one you want to use to default. Simples! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

M/M runs from usb, others may use the 3.5mm jack port on the MB.

When you want to switch between the two just right click on the volume icon and set the one you want to use to default. Simples! :)

Thanks for the reply , so the Schiit MM combo is strictly for headphones? , if I want to run speakers then I just connect them to audio out on the motherboard, isnt the whole point of running external dac/amp is to avoid using on-board soundcard due to interference from inside pc ? I'm not too clued up on it :(

I've never heard of them being used for speakers! If you're worried get a little ele dac as well cheap as chips!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 ChuchuBear

I've never heard of them being used for speakers! If you're worried get a little ele dac as well cheap as chips!

deffo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Well this is a fecking disaster.

I sent my 2 pairs of Koss PortaPros to TNS Distribution, by registered mail.
    Received by their reception on October 25.

Since then, the package has gone missing (!?), and I'm just left here twiddling my thumbs while they do I-don't-know-what.

So I'm out 2 pairs of KPPs (which I could have repaired myself, in a pinch), plus the shipping, and... ****'s sake.
    :mad:

• Advertisement

We've just had news through from the Grado distributor in the UK of a big shift in Grado pricing to line up with the US.

For example the SR325is is down from €479.99 to €364.99.

Full list here

We've just had news through from the Grado distributor in the UK of a big shift in Grado pricing to line up with the US.

Full list here

Is this solely a Grado thing or a wider marketing strategy for headphone/audio companies? That you know of, that is. Thanks.

Full list here

One day I will own a pair of Grados again :rolleyes:

Morf wrote: »
    Is this solely a Grado thing or a wider marketing strategy for headphone/audio companies? That you know of, that is. Thanks.

In this case it's solely a Grado thing but certainly it's something we as retailers have been pushing for from all brands for a while.

I do feel we are starting to get there though, the brands seem to have realised that we live in a worldwide market now and they can't just stick on the old 'paddy tax' and expect retailers to somehow convince customers to pay more for no good reason. For example the Sennheiser Momentum On-Ears are pretty evenly priced here, in the UK and in the US, so we can take them in for in-store demonstration. By and large though it seems to be the new products, not the existing ones, that are moving in that direction. I won't name brands, but there are some products that are cheaper for us to buy from Amazon than directly from the manufacturer, all because of their Euro pricing.

Ultimately, by allowing the price gulfs to exist, the brands are just ensuring that there are less places you can listen to the product before buying and really that's the whole point of headphones - listening

In this case it's solely a Grado thing but certainly it's something we as retailers have been pushing for from all brands for a while.

I do feel we are starting to get there though, the brands seem to have realised that we live in a worldwide market now and they can't just stick on the old 'paddy tax' and expect retailers to somehow convince customers to pay more for no good reason. For example the Sennheiser Momentum On-Ears are pretty evenly priced here, in the UK and in the US, so we can take them in for in-store demonstration. By and large though it seems to be the new products, not the existing ones, that are moving in that direction. I won't name brands, but there are some products that are cheaper for us to buy from Amazon than directly from the manufacturer, all because of their Euro pricing.

Ultimately, by allowing the price gulfs to exist, the brands are just ensuring that there are less places you can listen to the product before buying and really that's the whole point of headphones - listening

Thank you for the reply, much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement