Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Audiophiles' Lounge

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I have to say, 2 weeks in and I just love the FiiO X3 - fantastic piece of kit. I even love having a basic UI and no touchscreen, it just plays bloody good sounding music. Amazing being able to listen to the Q701's straight off this too - they sound unreal. One very minor gripe is the battery life - a noticeable drop when compared to the Cowon S9 but it knocks the hell out of the Cowon in terms of sound so I can live with making sure this is charged for a long day out. I'm really enjoying going through my music collection and sampling various albums to see how they perform - plus trying out various earphones too - so far the Sennheiser IE8 are my favourite for on the move and the Q701 at home. I'll be getting a sample of the RHA MA750i shortly so I look forward to hearing how they perform, I've read some really amazing reviews and reports on head-fi of them beating IEM's 2 to 3 times the price! One guy even suggests they beat the IE8 so that has me even more keen to hear them...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/675848/new-rha-iems-the-ma750i-and-ma600i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭HifiHut: Daniel

Just a quick note - we're giving a pair of RHA MA750 away on our Facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/HifiHut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Can anyone suggest an audiologist for ear impressions in Dublin? Thinking of getting some CIEMs from either Custom Art or Cosmic Ears in the New Year. More probably Custom Art because I've had acrylic CIEMs before and like the sound of silicone ones instead for comfort and isolation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I got my impressions made by:

Acoustic Technologies Ltd.
    Unit 5a, Howth Junction Business Centre,
    Kilbarrack,
    Dublin 5

The only problem I had with mine is he didn't do an open mouth impression and I think I'm missing some audioquality because of it.
    If I move my jaw while listening with my ER4s in it sounds louder/clearer.
    But apart from that they were perfect and sent them onto ACS uk for me to have the tips made.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭kave2

Looking to buy new earphones. Can't decide between these: RHA ma750i, RHA ma600i, AKG k376. Anyone owns these? RHA volume doesn't work with android phones but i can live with it, not sure about AKG. Perhaps some alternatives in that price range?

I've been using the RHA ma750i for a couple of weeks now and love them... they really do stand up to the hype of being up there with headphones that cost a lot more. Not tried the AKG's yet so can't compare.

Was recommended this guy by my GP, have an appointment in the New Year. http://theaudiologyclinic.goldenpages.ie/

Decided to go for the Custom Art Music Two btw - https://www.facebook.com/thecustomart/posts/482608021860024, based on the Music One review from ljokerl - http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/custom-art-music-one-review/. "Value: 10/10".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Finally got a set of TF-10s again. For me, the best I've heard when driven by my Fiio E7. Delighted with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Sadly the pair I bought back have died on the right side! Have RE400s coming for Christmas thankfully!

Took in a sample unit of the Thinksound on1 - a fantastic headphone I have to say, really impressed. Brought them home last night and had one of those nights where I'd keep trying out 'one last song' but get sucked into another such was the delight of their performance. Incredibly comfortable, light, amazing sound... I say this a lot but I've not felt this about a set of headphones in a while!

http://www.thinksound.com/on1.php

http://www.slashgear.com/thinksound-on1-monitor-series-headphones-review-23306590/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

God damn it.

Went to the loo, door bell rings, I hastily get dressed and run downstairs.
    It's just the neighbour bringing back a jug.

Went back to loo, 3 minutes later bell rings again.
    Ignore it.
    Turns out that was DPD delivering my headphones. :mad:

Won't have them until Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    God damn it.

Ignore it.

Adult nappies. Now you know.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    God damn it.

Ignore it.

Ah no! Sorry to hear that... I was actually going to drop you a note to see how you were getting on with them too!

Blew off 2 appointments with friends & family to wait on DPD, only for them to forget to put it in a van.
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

DPD!!!! useless crowd in my limited experience

DPD!!!! useless crowd in my limited experience

The local chap is almost always as grumpy as anything.

No other issues with them though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

The last time I used them I had a very bad experience with them, unacceptably bad, so that was the last time I used them, 2-3yrs ago.

Well, I finally got the V-Jays.

Sound is pretty fun!
    And it's great to have a pair of lightweight, easy-to-drive cans with decent bass :)

http://www.adverts.ie/home-audio/marantz-pm66se-ki-sig-amp/4467082

Nice old amp that could be worth checking out if you're in the area.

• Advertisement

The buttons on my Clip Zip are starting to die, I want to replace it, should I just buy another or is there another cheap DAP that sounds as good?

marko93 wrote: »
    The buttons on my Clip Zip are starting to die, I want to replace it, should I just buy another or is there another cheap DAP that sounds as good?

I'll be after the latest version now that I know it'll play .flac.

The Fiio player is just too expensive knowing that i'll feck up the jack within 18 months.

Morf wrote: »
    I'll be after the latest version now that I know it'll play .flac.

The Fiio player is just too expensive knowing that i'll feck up the jack within 18 months.

My clip had a fatal encounter with the washing machine, and my zip was my beat around player. Served well.

I used to be all about flac on the go, but now, I just cant see the point! :o

My clip had a fatal encounter with the washing machine, and my zip was my beat around player. Served well.

I used to be all about flac on the go, but now, I just cant see the point! :o

I have jaw issues that are making my m50s too uncomfortable to wear and the AD ATH 700s (little clamping force) ok for short periods.

Something I can use out and about and at home with in-ears (for fairly cheap) suits me down to the ground.

That and all my music is on .flac and 320kbps on the pc right now to suit PC listening and mp3 player.

.flac isn't a deal breaker but it's a nice extra for a good value option.

I have jaw issues that are making my m50s too uncomfortable to wear and the AD ATH 700s (little clamping force) ok for short periods.

Something I can use out and about and at home with in-ears (for fairly cheap) suits me down to the ground.

That and all my music is on .flac and 320kbps on the pc right now to suit PC listening and mp3 player.

.flac isn't a deal breaker but it's a nice extra for a good value option.

Recently got 2 new 1tb drives for my pc, halfway through ripping my CDs I realised they were burning at 320 ;____;

After my exams I'll probably rip them in ALAC for the fun times.

May just hold out and try a Sony DAP! They look pretty!

Recently got 2 new 1tb drives for my pc, halfway through ripping my CDs I realised they were burning at 320 ;____;

After my exams I'll probably rip them in ALAC for the fun times.

May just hold out and try a Sony DAP! They look pretty!

I ripped all mine to .flac a while ago.

I have a 2TB drive. 2TB was a bit too much.

• Advertisement

I ripped all mine to .flac a while ago.

I have a 2TB drive. 2TB was a bit too much.

Nice investment though, will keep me going for a long time to come!

I could have all my stuff in 320kbs for on the go, and ALAC/FLAC for my speakers and still have absolute tonnes of space! :D

Got a Clip Zip on the way from that refurbished eBay seller, €26 shipped. Don't want to bring my phone with me running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Got the Sennheiser amperior in amazon's lightning sale, not sure if I like it yet as the clamping is something else coming from 598s and the 770.

Nice investment though, will keep me going for a long time to come!

I could have all my stuff in 320kbs for on the go, and ALAC/FLAC for my speakers and still have absolute tonnes of space! :D

I do have them in both formats.

1.54TB free.

Brian wrote: »
    Got a Clip Zip on the way from that refurbished eBay seller, €26 shipped. Don't want to bring my phone with me running.

If you could pass on the link to this seller it would be great. Thank you!

• Advertisement

If you could pass on the link to this seller it would be great. Thank you!

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/4GB-SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Zip-MP3-Player-FM-Radio-Voice-Recorder-GREY-4-GB-/251221859964

I do have them in both formats.

1.54TB free.

Bloody hell, you know what that means Morf? Time to buy more CDs! :P

After burning another 15/20 CDs last night, I realised the settings were in Auto and they were burning to AAC. To say I'm gutted is an understatement! Deleted everything, I'll start afresh tomorrow :(

Updated my Zips Rockbox fw and everything seems to work fine now! :D

Bloody hell, you know what that means Morf? Time to buy more CDs! :P

After burning another 15/20 CDs last night, I realised the settings were in Auto and they were burning to AAC. To say I'm gutted is an understatement! Deleted everything, I'll start afresh tomorrow :(

Updated my Zips Rockbox fw and everything seems to work fine now! :D

My bank balance is groaning with delight already!

My bank balance is groaning with delight already!

Don't even....1st world problems or what! My poor poor a/c number :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Speaking of poor bank balances, thinking of picking up one of these guys in the next few weeks. Getting rave reviews from several sites. Anyone else heard of them? Look to be around €200 including delivery, maybe less if you shop around.

Wouldn't mind a Microstreamer too, to use with my phone.

Think I'll be buying Mad Dogs at the start of February, hope to jasus they sound nice out of the C&C BH for the time I have to use it!

Received my Jergulor pads for the HE-400s, interesting change from the J-money's. Will give my brain some time to burn them in before deciding which I prefer.

PPC wrote: »
    I got my impressions made by:

Acoustic Technologies Ltd.
    Unit 5a, Howth Junction Business Centre,
    Kilbarrack,
    Dublin 5

The only problem I had with mine is he didn't do an open mouth impression and I think I'm missing some audioquality because of it.
    If I move my jaw while listening with my ER4s in it sounds louder/clearer.
    But apart from that they were perfect and sent them onto ACS uk for me to have the tips made.

Figured I'd record the lovely experience I just had with a member of their staff (by phone)

them: hi what earphones do you want
    me: I just need impressions, already know someone else that I'm getting the earphones made by, just wondered if you could suggest an audiologist
    them: not going to help you
    me: ... right
    them: by the way what model are the earphones
    me: do you know head-fi?
    them: no
    me: ... the largest headphone forum on the internet?
    them:[silence]
    me: ok ... well there's a member there in poland that I'm planning to get a pair made by
    them: you should go to poland to get your impressions then

----

Hmm, I'll try my chances at finding a friendlier establishment elsewhere in Dublin.

Figured I'd record the lovely experience I just had with a member of their staff (by phone)

me: I just need impressions, already know someone else that I'm getting the earphones made by, just wondered if you could suggest an audiologist
    me: ok ... well there's a member there in poland that I'm planning to get a pair made by

----

Hmm, I'll try my chances at finding a friendlier establishment elsewhere in Dublin.

Wow, that is shocking, I'm sorry for suggesting them now! And I won't be doing so again.

• Advertisement

It's alright, they don't want the business. Key to success right there :P geniuses.

Not getting the Mad Dogs anymore due to wanting a GFX card more. Thanks to my Birthday, I still have 150/200 to throw at headphones, I just don't know what to get!

None, just back away... put the money in a drawer and revisit it down the line :P

None, just back away... put the money in a drawer and revisit it down the line :P

But all I have at the moment is Superlux 668Bs :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

But all I have at the moment is Superlux 668Bs :(

I had chance to test Takstar headphones, pro-80. Worth recomending and they are cheap. Good opinions on head-fi. I'm going to get HD5500 ones, supposingly even better.

I'm waiting on some cheapo Chinese iems, there is a huge discovery thread on headfi. IEMs bought so far Havi B3, Moxpad X3, Xiaomi pistons 2.0. Will report once arrived

This.

docentore wrote: »
    I had chance to test Takstar headphones, pro-80. Worth recomending and they are cheap. Good opinions on head-fi. I'm going to get HD5500 ones, supposingly even better.

I'm waiting on some cheapo Chinese iems, there is a huge discovery thread on headfi. IEMs bought so far Havi B3, Moxpad X3, Xiaomi pistons 2.0. Will report once arrived

Could you link me to this please?

Looking for cheapish in-ears with a longer 1.5m maybe cable! Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Could you link me to this please?

Looking for cheapish in-ears with a longer 1.5m maybe cable! Thanks!

See here for links and impressions. Received them yesterday. One thought after day of using those cheapo iem's - not going to spent more than €50 on pair of headphones/earphones for long time, definitely not any branded ones hearing what I got for €70 for 2 pair very good iem's (including courier delivery).

Thanks, will have a look!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

----

Wow, Awful.

I didn't get them done in the end but I had a really nice long and friendly chat with a guy from http://www.hearing.ie/ who really knew is stuff and was reasonably priced IIRC.

Advertisement