Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount benbulben

Options
  • 28-06-2012 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

just wonderin if there is any viewing points on this, or any of the mountains overlooking sligo, that are accessible by car or short spin on a path suitable for buggy (wife would not be in favour of a hike & we have a 6 month old in tow). workin up there & i was told you can only get so far up on the ballintrellick side & took a spin up there last night & this is the case as far as i could see. in sligo for a few holidays next week so would be great to get up there as id say the views are majestic! any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

bluestone wrote: »
    just wonderin if there is any viewing points on this, or any of the mountains overlooking sligo, that are accessible by car or short spin on a path suitable for buggy (wife would not be in favour of a hike & we have a 6 month old in tow). workin up there & i was told you can only get so far up on the ballintrellick side & took a spin up there last night & this is the case as far as i could see. in sligo for a few holidays next week so would be great to get up there as id say the views are majestic! any advice appreciated

The Horse Shoe Rd on Truskmore is the only one I know of that you can drive (part of the way) up.

You could possibly take the buggy some of the way up Knocknerea, although it will be very bumpy. It is accesable further on foot but can be slippy if has been raining, and steep in places. Wouldn't reccomend it though carrying a 6 month year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

You could walk up the TV mast road on Truskmore with the buggy, although you would have to lift it over fence at bottom. The road is 4km to top but even half way you should get good views. I assume when you were in Ballintrillick that you went on the Horseshoe road. At the top of this road is where the access road for Truskmore is. Also Truskmore is highest point in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭waterboy15

If you are feeling a little more energetic go here, fantastic view of Benbulben from foot and north side, better with inflatable wheels but manageable with solid wheels
    http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/?id=53&rec_site=157

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

waterboy15 wrote: »
    If you are feeling a little more energetic go here, fantastic view of Benbulben from foot and north side, better with inflatable wheels but manageable with solid wheels
    http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/?id=53&rec_site=157

Yes I second that, a fab place. http://magnumlady.com/2012/05/22/gortarowey/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

There's also a bog road at Glencar that goes to the top of the mountain. You'll need a vehicle with good brakes for coming down! It's steep but tarred to the top. Fantastic views out over Glencar Lake to Drumcliffe and Rosses Point etc.
    Just before the car park at the Waterfall the road winds up the mountainside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Is that the right just before carpark, if you coming from The Manor Sligo road, on the leitrim side?

Hi Tuppence, coming in from the Manothamilton side, past the waterfall car park you'll see an old boathouse and another carpark on your left and then the road is just past on your right.
    Sean

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

red sean wrote: »
    Hi Tuppence, coming in from the Manothamilton side, past the waterfall car park you'll see an old boathouse and another carpark on your left and then the road is just past on your right.
    Sean

Cheers, looking forward to it. Now just to grap a good day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭david p

Wasn't sure whether or not to post another thread about it, so I'll just ask in here: has anyone climbed Keelogyboy recently? I was thinking of doing it myself, but it looks like there have been a fair few land slides up around that area recently (Lisduff, Glackbaun), all along the road leading to the cul-de-sac just before you reach the start of (what I assume is) the trail. Would it be better to wait for a bit of dry weather before heading up, or is it safe enough? I wouldn't be an experienced climber by any means, but I'd be fairly fit, I suppose. Are there any dodgy bits or crevasses I should watch out for?

• Advertisement

David, I've never climbed Keelogyboy but as with any mountain you can't beat local knowledge. Enquire at some local houses as they will be more aware of any problems.
    Sheep farmers as probably best as they will be on the mountain regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Hi David, I'm a local to that area. There have been a few landslides but nothing that hasn't stopped gathering sheep off the top of the mountain :)

However, I must point this out, that if you're not a confident climber/hiker, please wait for a good day where there's good visibility up there. You'd be very surprised how quick the cloud comes in onKeelogoboy mountain. It can get easy to be put off track but I good weather at least you can find your way again.

On another note, please ask permission of tracking across the land. It is getting beyond a joke how many people think it's acceptable to hop a fence rather than use the damn gate a few metres down the road to gain access. It's very frustrating having to repair fencing because of minor laziness on behalf of people fishing/hiking.

Again with a little bit of respect, everyone up this way will direct you the easiest method of getting up ;)

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask on here or PM me :)

E.T.A. The top of the mountain does require a sharp eye as there can be sudden drops a few metres deep up there. The heather can hide the holes until you're literally about to take the step, so be watchful up there if you do climb up.

In regards to rock climbing, (I'm an amateur climber I like to think), the rock face is completely unsuitable. Easily breaks away, not great for putting cams in and awkward/sharp to climb. Better off going to Benbulben for rock climbing. Few spots round the Ox mountains too.

Thanks for all the info! :)

In terms of crossing peoples' fields, is there any kind of public right-of-way up there? When I got to the end of the road there was a gate slightly to my left, and a dirt path that continued straight to what looked like a shed in the distance. I don't mind asking people to hop across their fields if I have to, but it'd be nice if there was a path that I could wander up on a nice day without too much thought :o

So far as I know david there's none, but I'm open to correction on this. Last I checked local ordnance survey maps anyway.

Slightly confused as to where you're refering to though? Were you up towards Keelogoboy in which the mountain overlooks the White Lough? To get easy access to that a decent track there you'd need to cross farmers land, but would be only on one persons land as opposed to several.

Not sure where the White Lough is, but basically what I did was took the left turn before the old Calry school (travelling away from town), went straight/left and followed the road up past the water tower, took a right turn across a small bridge, took a right turn again at the top of that road at the Yield sign and then drove to the end. Sorry if those directions are a bit dodgy, the road I drove down doesn't show up on Google maps for some reason... :(

I know where you are now yeah. It's a differant spot than where I was talking about but the mountains the same :)

Been awhile since I was up that way mind you.

Advertisement