Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mardyke Walking Path

Options
  • 28-06-2012 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Hi, I walk past what seems to be a walking path every day on my way to work. I have its beginning location marked on this map with the red cross:

2nv46d3.jpg

Just wondering, does anyone know how long it is? And can you also cycle on it?

Many thanks!

Comments

That's the Banks of the Lee walkway. It finishes on North Mall just across the river from the Mercy hospital. It's not that long, maybe about 600 metres, but it's a pleasant alternative to walking alongside the road.

As far as I know you can cycle on it, but you have to take it handy with the amount of people walking with dogs/children etc.

It's only open during daylight hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Not long at all. You'd walk it in about 10 min. Ends on the North Mall, just around where the "N Mall" is at the very top of the map. It's also used for pedestrian access to UCC's North Mall campus.
    It's part of the overall Banks of the Lee Walkway which continues along the Mardyke (admittedly not on the banks of the river), through Fitzgerald Park, behind the Mardyke sports grounds, across the road at Wellington Bridge, behind the SMA grounds, and then joining the Lee Fields walkway.
    A nice walk (or gentle cycle).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

You can cycle on a path from Model Farm Road (just beside Eden Hall) all the way to the North Mall near the city centre only having to go on the road for about 200 meters.

Nice cycle and no hills!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭dj_

I am bored in work so... here is the route. It is ~900 m long.

TTs04.jpg

^^

And if you drive through the park, come out by the Shaky Bridge you can go up the back of the Mardyke pitches cross the road and you're onto the Lee Feilds where you can cross onto the Curraheen river walk/cycle path. I'd say about 5 kilometers in total.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Thanks for all the responses! :)
    ^^

And if you drive through the park, come out by the Shaky Bridge you can go up the back of the Mardyke pitches cross the road and you're onto the Lee Feilds where you can cross onto the Curraheen river walk/cycle path. I'd say about 5 kilometers in total.

Anyone wanna trace that for me on Google Maps? :P I'm pretty new to Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

What's the factory building you pass by on this path across the river from the Mercy hospital? is it abandoned?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

What's the factory building you pass by on this path across the river from the Mercy hospital? is it abandoned?

I think you mean The Cooperage; it houses UCC Dept of BEES. Other large industrial building in the area is The Tyndall Institute. See this map: http://www.ucc.ie/en/build/maps/CampusandAccessMaps/UCC_campus_map_Edition1_2010.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

It's the old Irish Distillery Building, used to be their cooperage.

The point of the yellow arrow is in Fitzy's Park.

FitzGstoMFrd2.jpg

Enjoy.

• Advertisement

Map

Thanks for this!

Was just mucking about with a website that you can accurately plot the route and distance so just seeing if this works.

Mardyke, Lee Fields, Curaheen River walk/Cycle.

Edit.

Works. :)

The distance reads 6 miles but that's out and back.

You can cycle on a path from Model Farm Road (just beside Eden Hall) all the way to the North Mall near the city centre only having to go on the road for about 200 meters.

Nice cycle and no hills!

Is this the path you traced farther down?

Hmmm, no hills? For it to be daycent exercise, there ought to be a few hills thrown in. :P

Does anyone know of some other safe cycle tracks in the Cork City centre or inner Cork suburbs area. Can you cycle on the Lough path? Don't want to be obstructing walkers!

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Is this the path you traced farther down?

There both the same only the second one is all the way.
    Hmmm, no hills? For it to be daycent exercise, there ought to be a few hills thrown in. :P

I've only just started cycling again so flat suits me fine for the moment. :)
    Does anyone know of some other safe cycle tracks in the Cork City centre or inner Cork suburbs area.

Yeah I made a thread here. I'll add more to it when I stop procrastinating.
    Can you cycle on the Lough path? Don't want to be obstructing walkers!

It's a bit short and probably too busy with pedestrians for cycling on imo.

(sorry for late reply)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Arise Zombie thread...

Any one know the story wth the plan to link the Lee road/Fitzgerald park to Ballincollig park?

Advertisement