Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC wont read Seagate External HDD (Model 9sf2A4-500). Light keeps blinking

Options
  • 28-06-2012 10:33pm

My sister has an external Seagate hard drive which is powered by a power supply but it wont work for her these times. The led light will continuously blink but the Laptop wont recognise the drive. We think it may be the power supply.

My sister is unsure if she used the wrong power supply by mistake at some stage that it is causing this problem now from what she was reading from various experiences from fellow owners on the internet.

She is running Vista Basic. Can anyone share a similar experience and did they find a solution?

She doesn't know which is the original power supply as there doesn't seem to be a distinctive mark on it to distinguish it from any other power supply that fits the HDD
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Can you check if it works with other pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

That drive requires 12 Volts DC to work. I'd hazzard a guess at about 1 amp. Check the two supplies you have to see if one has this rating printed somewhere on its label. It'll probably say :

12V DC @ 1A.

Ken

twinsen wrote: »
    Can you check if it works with other pc?

She tried it on both my laptop and her own. Both running Vista Basic. Same with both.

ZENER wrote: »
    That drive requires 12 Volts DC to work. I'd hazzard a guess at about 1 amp. Check the two supplies you have to see if one has this rating printed somewhere on its label. It'll probably say :

12V DC @ 1A.

Ken

Ill get her to have a look later. The problem is that she is unsure whether she plugged in the wrong power supply previously which could have been either < or > than 12v.

It could have damaged the drives read/write capabilities.

There is no Seagate logo or mark to distinguish the drives power supply from a another power supply for something completely different which is ridiculous considering the importance of using the right one

Advertisement