Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Cork to Dublin ROad

Options
  • 28-06-2012 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if someone could help me.

When the main Cork to Dublin road (as i knew it anyway) took you through Glanmire, onto Fermoy and Mitchelstown etc, after passing through Glanmire and before you came to Fermoy, on your left hand side across fields you used to be able to see a high building across the fields. I think it was an old Fever or TB Hospital. Does anyone know if it is still there, and where exactly is it. Its some time since I was on that road and have some memories of seeing it but never visiting it or how to get to it. It came into my head last night when talking to someone about relations that had died down the years, and someone reminded me of a relation that died in a hospital out that way (if memorty serves me right) sometime in the mid 1070's. I am sure that if it is a hospital it has closed down by now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Its a hospital, Sarfield's Court I think is its name, It was struck by lightning too last night, It can be got to by turning off at Riverstown, Sure a bus goes there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

St Stephens is the name of the hospital, Sarsfield Court is the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

TB hospital, National school teacher was in it for 6 months in the seventies.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

It's a psychiatric hospital now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

at least some blocks of it are now a mental hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Thanks lads. I looked at it on google maps and it looks a lot more modern that i remember it from passing on the Cork/Dublin Road. My memory of it was it was it looked a very run down building.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Back in the 70's if you heard someone was sent to Sarsfield Court you knew something was up.
    Had to go there once doing a job - big sprawling place.

Advertisement