Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blatant abuse in Fishing industry.. Genuine advice needed.

Options
  • 28-06-2012 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

A friend of mine has just finished 12 days of working on prawn trawler.

The boat operates from Wexford. On returning to port and offloading goods the Captain, an Eygptian gentleman, paid him 700 euro.

700 euro for 12 days.

Most days working 14 hours with spells of sleep or 3/4 hours as you can imagine.

This was his third trip so he is not a complete novice and he is an absolute grafter so the captain wants him back.

I'm livid. Firstly because its abuse but also because i advised him to take a boat job because he is strong and fit and it can be very well paid.
    I also know it is a very dangerous job with daily risk to life an limb.

He is not a seasoned fisherman but found the work easy to pick up and i know he has a serious work ethic.

How can this be resolved? My friend is Russian with moderate English but worse a modest guy who is reluctant to fight his corner.

And i know this industry has it's fair share of cowboys but this captain needs to be brought to book.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,518 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You can't. Its not your job. Your friend could say 'I can't do another trip for you as you are not paying enough' and see what happens, but if he will not stand up for himself then there is nothing you can do.

Presumably (?) we are not talking about a job that involves things like tax and insurance etc, and presumably the skipper is not working out of an Irish port? You could consider reporting the whole business to the appropriate authorities, but then presumably the job would disappear, and your friend might appreciate that even less.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is that more or less than your friend agreed to at the beginning of the trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭foret

Skipper works out of Wexford where he also lives.

You are probably right about tax etc. However employee has always
    worked legit jobs and expected to be legitimised.

The work is over now and the employee will not return.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Happy Campers x 5

Op. I am out of the fishing industry with a few years now after 25 years, but let me try to explain a little how things work. Firstly I have to say I am not standing up for anyone here.
    Firstly your friend is a novice a few trips does not make a fisherman of you I can assure you. The industry is a "Funny" one really because after a few trips people think they have it all. I pressume your friend can't mend nets, take watch on his own in the wheel house or splice wire or ropes ? So if the answer to any of this question is yes he is a novice.
    He is payed on a percentage of the catch. Percentages vary from boat to boat so it's impossible to work this part out, but i will try give you an idea
    Boats fish grosses € 10,000
    Fuel - € 3,000
    Food for trip - € 1,000
    Ice and other -€ 1,000
    So now skipper has € 5000 to split among himself, owner of the boat and the crew. Owner will get 50% and Skipper gets his percentage and crew get there percentage which are worked out on experience so if he's a novice he won't end up with alot and there is a lot of things to factor in e.g Bad fishing, they can be tricky to find some trips. Bad weather boats don't fish as well in bad weather, Fuel .This is the biggy. The last boat i was on used 4.000 ltrs a day. Thats average home heating tank emptied 4 times a day and 1 to 1.5 tanks a year does a house so quiet a lot of fuel goes and its expensive now.
    I hope this goes some way to explain how things work. Fishing is hard graft and you earn your money and not all boats fish as good as others so some boats you make your money and some my god you earn every bob you get.

Advertisement