Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Wow, i'm not overly familiar with the characters but thats pretty great news if true, its also a pretty bold move by Marvel and it sure as hell won't be an easy sell either. I really really hope it comes off for them, would be amazing to see this side of the marvel universe on the big screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Seeing Gamora would be worth the price of admission alone :D

00a820b9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

I sure hope this is true, the mere sight of thanos at the end of the avengers got me really excited :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I dunno... I'm not sure it's something that will really sell compared to more Earthbound story-lines. I could see it hurting the franchise...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

name is too close to Emmanuel: Queen of the Galaxy.

bom chicka bow wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Overheal wrote: »
    name is too close to Emmanuel: Queen of the Galaxy.
    bom chicka bow wow.

Avengers 2:Their First Assignment aint much better

police-academy-4.jpg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I was thinking, if this really is happening (and I'm still sceptical) it really makes the possibilities endless for what they can do provided its successful. They could do a Planet Hulk movie after Avengers 2 then have Avengers 3 be World War Hulk. Now how kick ass would that be?

I would say 'why, when they already made animated movies' but they kinda did that with Iron Man Extremis (well, motion comic) and thats the core for Iron Man 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

apparently the guy playing the hulk is signed up for 7 movies total...
    rumors are thor 2, hulk 2, avengers 2 at the moment..
    and they were around since aavengers movie was out. just a rediculous amount at once..
    can be sure another iron man is in the makings or plans also... downing = legend

• Advertisement

kenyard wrote: »
    Heck Yea!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

rumors are thor 2, hulk 2, avengers 2 at the moment..
    and they were around since aavengers movie was out. just a rediculous amount at once..
    can be sure another iron man is in the makings or plans also... downing = legend

No league goals or assists, and only looked good against Championship fullbacks, wouldn't be calling him a legend...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

indeed. heres hoping he improves those stats for Iron man 3 :P
    can give me an assist if its on black widow :)
    as for pool... amusing as theyre strenghtening strikers only so far.. joe cole is gonna come back and blow the premiership outta the water :P

Overheal wrote: »
    I would say 'why, when they already made animated movies' but they kinda did that with Iron Man Extremis (well, motion comic) and thats the core for Iron Man 3.

Aye its a good animated movie too. Not watched extremis, can't stand motion comics! A Planet Hulk film on the scale of John Carter would be pretty sweet though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Had a read up on them. Sounds like one hell of an ambitious project!

Production art for this, looks fantastic but this is going to be incredibly hard to pull of I have to say, an Ent and a Racoon, WTF?!?! :D

lRcdv.png

Full size here: http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/8138/original/Guardians-of-the-galaxy-sdcc-concept-art.jpg?1342320572

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

The marketing team have a hell of a job on their hands, actually everyone working on it are gonna need to work hard so it doesn't turn out as ridiculous as it potentially could be

I am delighted they went the more modern incarnation. Gamora is one of my favourite characters. It will also be interesting to see if Nova and Thanos will be in this. Gamora has serious connections with Thanos having been raised by him.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I am delighted they went the more modern incarnation. Gamora is one of my favourite characters. It will also be interesting to see if Nova and Thanos will be in this. Gamora has serious connections with Thanos having been raised by him.

I'm assuming Thanos is in it because its supposed to lead straight into Avengers 2 if I'm not mistaken.

There is a good chance. For those unfamiliar with the characters read Annihilation.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annihilation_(comics)

It's a pity Fox has the rights to Galactus and Silver Surfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Drax, Starlord, Rocket Raccoon all on the big screen and live action wowwowowowo!! Would love for Nova,Adam Warlock and the like to be in this too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Prob work best as an animated movie.

Has this definitely been officially announced?

Has this definitely been officially announced?

Given a release date and everything.

guardians-of-the-galaxy-logo.jpg

Wow... I really hope this doesn't fuck up the franchise.

Why does everyone think this will **** everything up ?

Why does everyone think this will **** everything up ?

There's an angry raccoon holding a semi-automatic firearm.

We've soon more odd things succeed a bunch of 3 foot high furry creatures fighting a whole galactic empire, a midget,dwarf, elf and various other things take on an army all over a piece of jewellery..A bunch of over sized smurfs fighting against a big army looking to take over, But yeah a talking Raccoon with a semi auto does seem unrealistic ;)

We've soon more odd things succeed a bunch of 3 foot high furry creatures fighting a whole galactic empire, a midget,dwarf, elf and various other things take on an army all over a piece of jewellery..A bunch of over sized smurfs fighting against a big army looking to take over, But yeah a talking Raccoon with a semi auto does seem unrealistic ;)

Dumbest post in a while.

The raccoon looks ridiculous in the universe that's been built around the Avengers franchise. A universe that, while very outlandish, has been grounded as much in reality as possible but the production teams. A talking raccoon isn't just beyond the realms of that attempted realism; it's also just stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

We've soon more odd things succeed a bunch of 3 foot high furry creatures fighting a whole galactic empire, A bunch of over sized smurfs fighting against a big army looking to take over, But yeah a talking Raccoon with a semi auto does seem unrealistic ;)

Well those two things didn't work (last time I checked the Ewoks were amongst the most hated creations in cinema history), which kind of puts us back at square one. And small folk are hardly anywhere near as ridiculous as a gun wielding raccoon.

This has the potential to be an over-CGIed **** up on a grand scale. Still, Lord of the Rings just about managed to pull off giant talking trees...

No I understand completly what you mean about it being realistic i was being sarccy obviously going by the ;) icon lol but on a serious note , Pre Avengers i would have completely agreed but I think with the addition of the Chitauri and portals to other dimensions and thing its open season if you ask me, We've already seen the Chitauri and Frost Giants and of course all Asguardians and I think its very feesible that Marvel will alude to not just 9 realms but a massive universe out there ala Star Wars and Rocket Racoon comes from a system or planet full of beings like him

I think Groot is an even harder sell (thats the guy someone called an Ent) he in his various incarnations has been seen to be either Treebeard sized to Racoon sized , Starlord the guy in the mask is from Earth originaly as far as I know , Moondragon the girl in the hood is the daughter of Thanos so yeah this is definitly going to tie heavily into Avengers 2 which inevitibly will help it succeed, Really lookin forward to see how they do with Drax (guy with the knives) big favourite of mine

Lets not write it off before the script is even written. There was plenty of people on here who thought you couldn't convincingly have a norse god in the same film as Iron Man. This is a hard sell yes and could very well be an epic disaster of a film but it could also be a very fun galaxy spanning sci-fi movie, something we haven't had in a very long time! They can put as much cg in it as they want as long as its got a good story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

A talking raccoon isn't just beyond the realms of that attempted realism; it's also just stupid.

Actually, it's much more stupid to imagine that the people from Asgard and the Frost Giants all look exactly like folks from Earth (only blue) even though they are aliens and have less in common with us genetically than a wasp or a jellyfish (or a raccoon).

Holy Crap, James Gunn is in talks to direct this. I really hope they can strike a deal, would love to see what he'll do with a property like this. Obviously he wouldn't have free reign over the material but still I reckon he could do a great job.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/james-gunn-marvel-guardians-of-the-galaxy-363928

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Why is everyone on the internet so psyched about James Gunn? Slither was good, but Super was pretty mediocre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Holy Crap, James Gunn is in talks to direct this. I really hope they can strike a deal, would love to see what he'll do with a property like this. Obviously he wouldn't have free reign over the material but still I reckon he could do a great job.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/james-gunn-marvel-guardians-of-the-galaxy-363928

I really liked Slither so not a bad choice as director imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Yeah but some of those appearances could be post credit cameos like we had in the run up to avengers one.

This sounds like too big and ambitious a project to not get ****ed up but hey, we all said that about Avengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

WatchWolf wrote: »
    Why is everyone on the internet so psyched about James Gunn? Slither was good, but Super was pretty mediocre.

I thought the opposite actually, I found Slither not great but really enjoyed Super.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

If this ties directly into The Avengers sequel then I imagine they'll show up somehow to assist Tony and co in taking on the uber threat that is Thanos....which means you're going to have a little raccoon interacting with the likes of Steve Rodgers and Nick Fury. This is by far the riskiest thing they have done to date.

I really hope Marvel don't lose sight on this, they've achieved something great through giving us safe but solid solo movies leading into their "party piece" The Avengers. They really should focusing on ensuring that they continue this through IM3, T2 and CA2 rather than throwing GotG into the mix.

But hey, they've reasonably pulled everything off to date so maybe it's best that I just reserve judgement. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

But hey, they've reasonably pulled everything off to date so maybe it's best that I just reserve judgement. :pac:
    I agree wholeheartedly but there are some reverse rose tinted glasses in regards to marvel. I remember everyone being satisfied with Spiderman 1 & 2 until the third was released and now, the whole trilogy seems to be universally hated. So much so that it got a reboot which seems split down the middle.
    Same goes for Xmen.

So if they make a ****e of the GoG or even A2 or its prequels, then I imagine popular opinion will turn on the gems we've had until now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I agree wholeheartedly but there are some reverse rose tinted glasses in regards to marvel. I remember everyone being satisfied with Spiderman 1 & 2 until the third was released and now, the whole trilogy seems to be universally hated. So much so that it got a reboot which seems split down the middle.
    Same goes for Xmen.

So if they make a ****e of the GoG or even A2 or its prequels, then I imagine popular opinion will turn on the gems we've had until now.

Yes for Spiderman, but i'm pretty sure a lot of people don't see the X-Men films like that. First two were good films, third was awful. The whole Spiderman series was mediocre IMO.

If this ties directly into The Avengers sequel then I imagine they'll show up somehow to assist Tony and co in taking on the uber threat that is Thanos....which means you're going to have a little raccoon interacting with the likes of Steve Rodgers and Nick Fury. This is by far the riskiest thing they have done to date.

I really hope Marvel don't lose sight on this, they've achieved something great through giving us safe but solid solo movies leading into their "party piece" The Avengers. They really should focusing on ensuring that they continue this through IM3, T2 and CA2 rather than throwing GotG into the mix.

I don't think the Racoon is that big a step considering we've already had the frost giants tbh.

I'd rather they be ambitious and take risks like this than just play it safe and not go further down the cosmic route. THe lack of risk taking and ambition is generally the biggest complaint regarding blockbusters I see on here, Marvel should be applauded imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I'd rather they be ambitious and take risks like this than just play it safe and not go further down the cosmic route.

I agree, if you want comic-book movies without real superheroes, supervillains, superpowers, aliens or magic, go watch a Dark Knight movie.

Actual comic-books are stuffed with crazy crap. Let's see something really wild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Who would we want to voice Rocket Racoon?

jpcarlow wrote: »
    Who would we want to voice Rocket Racoon?

Chris Rock, I really think he could add the necessary gravitas to the character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I don't think the Racoon is that big a step considering we've already had the frost giants tbh.

I'd rather they be ambitious and take risks like this than just play it safe and not go further down the cosmic route. THe lack of risk taking and ambition is generally the biggest complaint regarding blockbusters I see on here, Marvel should be applauded imo.

I don't know, it's one thing presenting Frost Giants as a believable threat, and then presenting a tiny raccoon as some kind of intergalactic bad ass.

I don't know, it's one thing presenting Frost Giants as a believable threat, and then presenting a tiny raccoon as some kind of intergalactic bad ass.
    It could work, depends on the graphics, and the voice actor....stanley tucci ain't gonna cut it

It could work, depends on the graphics, and the voice actor....stanley tucci ain't gonna cut it

Joking aside, I'm not that familiar with rocket racoon over all but I think it would be great if they got someone fairly serious to do it, someone like George Clooney (always thought he should voice Master Chief if Halo ever got made).

Edit: Or maybe this is the big screen Nathan Fillion role we've all been waiting for :pac:

Joking aside, I'm not that familiar with rocket racoon over all but I think it would be great if they got someone fairly serious to do it, someone like George Clooney (always thought he should voice Master Chief if Halo ever got made).
    hmm i fairly familiar with rocket...my choice (just because i want him in a superhero film and he's a bit of a badass anyway) would be hugh laurie....granted most people wont like that choice

hmm i fairly familiar with rocket...my choice (just because i want him in a superhero film and he's a bit of a badass anyway) would be hugh laurie....granted most people wont like that choice

I could see that working. Do you mean with his House voice or his own posh english accent?

• Advertisement
Advertisement