Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmm, it has been noted how both Marvel films and blockbusters nowadays in general are leaning more on the bombastic finale, abandoning whatever tone or reason that existed in the first two acts so that everything on-screen can explode in the third, with whatever cavalcade of destruction seems appropriate. In the case of Guardians of the Galaxy though, I'd actually argue that this is one of the few films that justifies its orgy of destruction. I mean this movie was pure Space Opera, a galaxy-spanning adventure that featured galaxy hopping, ancient alien tech, and the fate of whole planets on the line - if any genre suited the massive upswing in spectacle, it's the operatic space adventure. Space is itself a spectacle, so it's hard to avoid a sense of bombast. While it didn't make any sense whatsoever (
    why would the super-powerful Nova Corps not have any battleships, orbital defences or something to repel invasion?
    ), the finale wasn't out of context against the general tone of the film.

Otherwise, I'll be honest in saying this is the first Marvel film in a while that I enjoyed without much reservation or qualms. Did it reinvent the comicbook wheel? Nope, but why should it have? And while it wasn't the gut-busting comedy I was hoping it'd be - some of the lines weren't quite the laugh-riot they might have seemed on the page - it was delivered with an energy and panache that made up for things. Everyone seemed signed up to the crazy and gave it there all; it was also surprisingly emotional, with the titular Guardians getting their moments to shine as proper characters.

It was also refreshingly unencumbered by its own mythology and obsession with crossover, and felt like a more enjoyable ride compared with a production like the po-faced Captain America 2. Fundamentally? I had fun at the cinema, and sometimes that's the main reward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Loved it start to finish.

Pratt nailed it. Cooper was brilliant as Rocket. Despite only saying a couple of words the animation team made Groot absolutely fantastic. Was really impressed with Bautista as well, he got nearly all of the one liners spot on, slightly disappointed how they dumbed down Drax from the comics but it worked for the movie and the actor they chose.

Was getting worried about a half hour from the end that it was going to go Avengers/Cap 2 Third Act city destruction but they managed to break it up well that none of the fight scenes felt like they were lasting way too long.

The most fun I've had in the cinema in a long time and everyone who I heard talking when coming out was gushing with praise for it, Marvel & Gunn did very well to make it fun for the casual viewer as well as those who would be more into the backstory to it. Particularly loved the little nod to Cosmo the Telekinetic Dog and his feud with Rocket in the Collectors office.

Will more than likely go see it again and it will become the first Blu-Ray that I will buy in a long time once it is released.

Soundtrack absolutely fantastic as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I forgot to add that I was quite impressed at the complete lack of tedious exposition which is a remarkable accomplishment given that the characters and settings are completely novel to anyone not acquainted with the relevant Marvel comics.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

flazio wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is an official playlist for the Awesome Mix?

Secondly, aside from the brief glance at the Tesserect was there anything else that placed this movie or characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe? End credits in the other movies for example?

Thanos appeared in the post-credits scene of The Avengers.

Thanos's minion, The Other, was the one who conspired with Loki to take over the earth in The Avengers.

The Collector appeared in the post credits scene of Thor: The Dark World, where he was given The Aether by Sif.

In the Collector's museum, you can see that he has a Chitauri (alien who invaded Earth in The Avengers) and a Dark Elf (alien who invaded Earth in Thor: The Dark World).

Apart from the glimpse at the tesseract, they're the only other connections I can remember spotting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I forgot to add that I was quite impressed at the complete lack of tedious exposition which is a remarkable accomplishment given that the characters and settings are completely novel to anyone not acquainted with the relevant Marvel comics.

I liked that too, no Thor-like "in a realm of dark times something something magic cube more realms evilness something something" prologue. It just asks you to go along with it as it unfolds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

krudler wrote: »
    I liked that too, no Thor-like "in a realm of dark times something something magic cube more realms evilness something something" prologue. It just asks you to go along with it as it unfolds.

There'd be a lot more to digest with the various races, planets & civilisations here not to mention the technology. We're not told a lot about Ronan and that's completely ok as the audience can piece together the necessary info as the story unfolds.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

if any genre suited the massive upswing in spectacle, it's the operatic space adventure. Space is itself a spectacle, so it's hard to avoid a sense of bombast.

Absolutely, I agree with that general sentiment in this context (although would not at all complain about a less bombastic, urgent action ending ala Serenity). My complaint here would mostly boil down to the execution. It just feels like we've seen this exact scenario play out many times before over the last few years -
    a giant ship or similar falling towards a civilian city
    . Star Trek Into Darkness, for example, offered pretty much the same thing, and we see the same spectacle in the likes of Prometheus and Captain America 2 (albeit in slightly different contexts). It's not the only type of derivative third act climax - the endings of Pacific Rim, Edge of Tomorrow and several other films all have a final 'destroy the core' action sequence that are more or less interchangeable in terms of what's actually happening.

This whole big action climax trend isn't going anywhere it seems. And I think that's much more forgivable when a little bit of imagination is shown (one of Thor 2's saving graces was its portal chase). But there's an increasing sense of déjà vu creeping in - even a few tweaks could lead to action scenes that don't just feel like a rethread of something we've all seen several times in the recent past. Heck, even if the final fight here had taken place in actual space it would have a unique edge over most recent offerings! This is a film that can only really build to something big so the complaint isn't as significant as it has been in some cases (e.g Man of Steel), but a fresher perspective on something big would have been very welcome here IMO instead. At least some of the more character-driven action that was intercut was more distinctive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

i never read the comics but i thought it was brilliant. funny and plenty of action and good actor choices. the sound track was awesome aswell.

never stuck around for a post credit scene tho... was there any?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Yes there was, wasn't impressed with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The end credits scene is pretty much just Marvel explicitly trolling those of us who were stupid enough to stick around :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

i just read there was something with a duck??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

i just read there was something with a duck??

Howard the Duck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Just back from seeing it and this is the reason that it's probably my new favorite Marvel film.

Comic stories aren't that complex most of the time and can be easily told during the 2 hour running time of a movie. It was pulled of brilliantly in this one.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just in the door from this and I absolutely loved it. It was funny, the set pieces were great and it looked gorgeous, visually it's by far the most unique of the Marvel movies. It was also surprisingly emotional at times.

The best thing about it though was the characters themselves and how each one of them got their moment to shine. Groot and Rocket probably stole the show most of all but even the more potentially dull characters like Drax and Gomorrah managed to endear themselves in their own way. Pratt owns the film completely though and as a huge Parks & Rec fan I am delighted to see him taking the leading man reins with such ease.

The biggest compliment I can pay this film is that it reminded me of Serenity, in my opinion the absolute pinnacle of the genre. I wanted to spend more time with each and every one of the characters by the end of the film and though it didn't take as dark a turn for the climax as Serenity did I still thought Gunn did a great job of making the action revolve around character beats rather than just mindless punching and explosions in much the same way.

A goofy, self aware space opera that knows exactly what it is and all the better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The Empire Spoiler Podcast for this is up for anyone who wants to hear the movie discussed in full by a bunch of movie geeks. Also a spoiler filled interview with James Gunn

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=41815

Love these!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Saw it yesterday.

Absolutely loved it, easily the best Marvel movie to date (in my opinion).

Everything was spot on: The cast, the music, the mix between action and humor,...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Went to see it last night and I'd agree with most of the comments on here, really enjoyable, probably the only marvel comic superhero movie I've liked. This had something different, more of a soul maybe. Great soundtrack and some brilliant characters, really well made and a film that deserves to do well.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You say Yondu being Quill's father is never hinted at but I think both his mother referring to Quill's father and Yondu referring to himself as an angel is pretty heavy handed.

That wouldn't add up with what Nova Prime said at the end regarding Quill's genetics though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Very likely gonna go see this again next week at some stage and I haven't said that about any movie in a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

He doesn't say he's an angel though does he, he says 'I may be as pretty as an angel, but I sure as hell ain't one'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

ffs, he says in response to one of his minions questioning whether they should have completed the contract on Quill at the end, that Quill's father is an asshole.
    Yondo is not Quill's biological dad, I thinks clear even just from the content in the movie - I havent read the comics.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mdolly123

Sounds like a gambit to extend the scope of new film franchise a bit like Xmen/wolverine series.....$$$$$$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Easter eggs, these people clearly watched the movie more than once or more intently than i did.

http://www.slashfilm.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-easter-eggs/

Massive spoilers from all Marvel movies so far.

mdolly123 wrote: »
    Sounds like a gambit to extend the scope of new film franchise a bit like Xmen/wolverine series.....$$$$$$

Not really it is by all accounts a key story plot to the comics so its makes sense it will be part of future Guardians movies which Marvel have been perfectly open about are going to have at least a sequel if not more.

Also X-men and wolverine is all owned and done by Fox :rolleyes: whereas Guardians and all the Avengers movies are done by Marvel and Disney, two very different plans for both franchises.

I've been thinking about it and although I know this is part of the MCU I really can't see it as that, it felt so much like a stand-alone. Did anybody else feel like that? I'm not sure I would want to see the Guardians cross with any of the Avengers who all seem so dull now in comparison

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I've been thinking about it and although I know this is part of the MCU I really can't see it as that, it felt so much like a stand-alone. Did anybody else feel like that? I'm not sure I would want to see the Guardians cross with any of the Avengers who all seem so dull now in comparison

No, the lack of crossover with the other Marvel properties made GotG seem fresh and independent. Felt like a strength to me. Besides, there was already enough going on in simply telling the mythology and backstory, without cluttering up proceedings with an appearance by Thor or something.

Im pretty sure with the whole Thanos being the ultimate Big Bad thing that there will at some stage be a crossover if not having the GotG even appearing in the Avengers 3 as its looking pretty likely that Movie will be Thanos's big one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i think ya can place good money on avengers 3 being the infinity gauntlet with the cast of their entire universe involved

in fact in guardians i was trying to figure out which gem they had. the colour had me thinking the power gem but considering what it did, particularly to peter at the end, i think its the soul gem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

i think ya can place good money on avengers 3 being the infinity gauntlet with the cast of their entire universe involved

in fact in guardians i was trying to figure out which gem they had. the colour had me thinking the power gem but considering what it did, particularly to peter at the end, i think its the soul gem.

I think Gunn confirmed its power.

Edit:Yep on Twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

I hope they don't try and squash all of the infinity gauntlet story line into Avengers 3 though. There's enough material to be spread nicely over two movies I think.

I hope they don't try and squash all of the infinity gauntlet story line into Avengers 3 though. There's enough material to be spread nicely over two movies I think.

My guess is they will start expanding on it in the offshoot movies and have Avengers 3 be the climax of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

One off the most enjoyable film I've seen in ages. Took my seat chafing at having spent 14.50 for a seat with no cup holders(Wtf cineworld) but came out with a s**t eating grin plastered over my face. Now normally I'm one of those people who finds it hard to not to put his critics cap on when he leaves a film, even the ones I actually like like Cap 2, but this I just found so utterly disarming I lost all my critical faculties and came out gushing over it to my mates.

Now I remember thinking Avengers was amazing too initially only to find it less so on subsequent viewings so another viewing will definitely be required to gauge where it lands in my comic book movie rankings, but it's definitely up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Deano7788 wrote: »
    I think Gunn confirmed its power.

Edit:Yep on Twitter.

Aye. It's the Power one (the colours are different from the usual comic colours).

The Orb (GotG) - Power
    Tessarect (CA1, Avengers) - Space
    Aether (Thor 2) - Reality

We don't know if Loki's staff is one (it's possibly the Mind gem). So we're left with Mind, Soul and Time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Isn't the soul gem Adam Warlock's one? I don't know much about the character, but someone mentioned him before. And his cocoon was in GotG in the Collectors collection, so he may make an appearance in future films (may even be Star Lords father, explaining why he wasn't killed by the power gem).

Or the cocoon may have just been an easter egg and they haven't decided where the other gems are yet. Anything goes in Marvel films.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

When ya think about it the soul gem's got a doctor strange film stamped all over it.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Just back from it, probably my favourite Marvel film so far. Just beats out Thor for that.

Getting tired of the last act of these films though. It works a bit better here cos of the comedy involved in it - Quill - Ronan scene, and Groot being Groot, but it's really hard to give a crap at all the random destruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭macslash

Is there anywhere to read the Marvel comic's online? And where should one start? I know it's probably a stupid question but there's so many...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

titan18 wrote: »
    Getting tired of the last act of these films though. It works a bit better here cos of the comedy involved in it - Quill - Ronan scene, and Groot being Groot, but it's really hard to give a crap at all the random destruction.
    To be fair, the third act had some great scenes -
    Quill's "Ooh Child" / Infinity Stone scene and Drax comforting Rocket with Rocket breaking down
    to name just two.

The film has been lingering in my mind since I saw it on Friday and while unsure at first, I'm now sure it's my favourite Marvel movie yet!

• Advertisement

I know but I can't help feeling that a cross over will taint the Guardians. I just have feeling;l like in I Am Legend (not a great example I know) the first half hour or so was really good with just Will and the dog but as I watched it I knew that Hollywood couldn't not introduce more humans and it would totally ruin it, and it did. I just feel that The Guardians are Will Smith and the dog and the Avengers (who I still love) are the woman and the kid and come along and ruin Will's life :(
    VinLieger wrote: »
    My guess is they will start expanding on it in the offshoot movies and have Avengers 3 be the climax of it

I really hope this is the case Avengers + Guardians = 11 main characters and that's just the good guys. I have no idea how the Infinity Gauntlet plays out but I think they have to start start it in phase 3 in individual films.

What Phase 3 films have been confirmed so far?
    Cap 3
    Dr Strange? (or is that Phase 4)
    Ant Man
    Thor 3?
    GotG 2

Is that it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Watched this last night in Cork IMAX. It was in 3D but I have to say, I thought the 3D was well done and wasn't just about throwing stuff at the audience to make them jump.

The movie itself is probably the most fun I've had in the cinema since I don't know when. I would say Avengers but this was better than that. It was Star Wars meets Marvel. Galaxy jumping, butt kicking, wise cracking fun. It has an emotional core to it too which grounded the whole thing so it didn't descend into just a series of one liners.

The 5 main players are such an oddball group which is probably why it makes them so great to watch. I was expecting Rocket and Groot to steal the show (from early reviews) but I thought Drax was class. A massive brute and then he starts talking. A walking Thesaurus :D He also had the best moments against the villain Ronan.

Speaking of Ronan, only for the Drax/Ronan conflict, Ronan would have been completely interchangeable with that Dark Elf baddie from Thor 2. For the most part he's just another hooded bad guy sitting on his throne in his ship, promising to end the world/galaxy/universe, sending his lackeys to do his work. He does stand out a bit more than the others, but that is mostly down to the Nebula/Gamora stuff and Drax. He did have a cool scene with
    Thanos
    though which I wasn't expecting. That was cool. In the end though, despite the original idea of a
    distracting dance off, the all powerful, infinity stone wielding bad guy gets taken out by our heroes as per usual.

Marvel really do need to figure out a better way to end their movies. Avengers, Thor 2, Cap 2 (so I hear) and now this all end with ships invading a city in a huge climatic battle. Mix it up Marvel!

Final comment on this. Awesome soundtrack! Can't wait to
    hear Mix Tape 2

Bacchus wrote: »
    [...]
    Speaking of Ronan, only for the Drax/Ronan conflict, Ronan would have been completely interchangeable with that Dark Elf baddie from Thor 2. For the most part he's just another hooded bad guy sitting on his throne in his ship, promising to end the world/galaxy/universe, sending his lackeys to do his work. [...]

I think that has been Marvel's main failing throughout, the villains have been almost universally nonthreatening, utterly lacking in charisma and nothing more than ciphers for the heroes to save the day. These movies need a Joker, or some raw agent of chaos. Of course, The one exception to that is Loki, who was quickly neutered when the execs realised he was popular - so naturally they had to turn him into a misunderstood anti-hero.

I don't know if I like it better than cap 2 or the avengers, but its definitely up there with them.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think that has been Marvel's main failing throughout, the villains have been almost universally nonthreatening, utterly lacking in charisma and nothing more than ciphers for the heroes to save the day. These movies need a Joker, or some raw agent of chaos. Of course, The one exception to that is Loki, who was quickly neutered when the execs realised he was popular - so naturally they had to turn him into a misunderstood anti-hero.

I thought Winter Soldier was a decent villain though probably under used. Obviously he's more than likely
    a good guy
    from now on though.

I actually thought Pace was quite good as Ronan but unfortunately he was pretty much given nothing to work with.

I think part of the problem is the fact that each of the protagonists is an intellectual property so Marvel will refuse to have any of them killed off as each represents an individual revenue stream. This results in villains who are unable to kill any of the main characters. It's damn near impossible for these neutered antagonists to elicit any sense of fear when they're unable to make any real changes in the MCU.

I think part of the problem is the fact that each of the protagonists is an intellectual property so Marvel will refuse to have any of them killed off as each represents an individual revenue stream. This results in villains who are unable to kill any of the main characters. It's damn near impossible for these neutered antagonists to elicit any sense of fear when they're unable to make any real changes in the MCU.

Ah in fairness that's true of most major action films, all they will do is introduce minor characters to get offed so the main players don't have to.

If the bubble doesn't burst anytime soon I could see some get get killed when the actors contract runs out, like Cap for example, then they would have Bucky or falcon take the reigns I suppose.

I get what you're saying though, even with Guardians one of my favourite parts was
    Groot sacrificing himself to save the gang and Rocket's grief in the aftermath which was cheapened somewhat by him not actually dying. Of course I figured it was coming and part of me was glad he'd be in the next one because he is was great in this but it did take away from it a bit. They could definitely have gotten away with it in this too since the characters are virtually unknown and he was an entirely CG creation bar the voice.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Ah in fairness that's true of most major action films, all they will do is introduce minor characters to get offed so the main players don't have to.

If the bubble doesn't burst anytime soon I could see some get get killed when the actors contract runs out, like Cap for example, then they would have Bucky or falcon take the reigns I suppose.

I get what you're saying though, even with Guardians one of my favourite parts was
    Groot sacrificing himself to save the gang and Rocket's grief in the aftermath which was cheapened somewhat by him not actually dying. Of course I figured it was coming and part of me was glad he'd be in the next one because he is was great in this but it did take away from it a bit. They could definitely have gotten away with it in this too since the characters are virtually unknown and he was an entirely CG creation bar the voice.

The key difference is that Marvel have established a cinematic universe based on a selection of their IPs. Other films are merely standalone or a small group so I don't think it's a fair comparison. I see where you're coming from though.

I think that killing characters when the actor's had enough is even worse. It'll be telegraphed by media reports that a new contract's not been signed and then excessively milked in a film á la
    Amazing Spiderman 2

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I thought Winter Soldier was a decent villain though probably under used. Obviously he's more than likely
    a good guy
    from now on though.

I actually thought Pace was quite good as Ronan but unfortunately he was pretty much given nothing to work with.

You mean the eponymous Winter Soldier himself? I thought he was a bit of a non-entity to be honest, just a lackey with no real personality. There has been no arch-villain 'worthy' of the heroes in my view, nobody like the Joker that feels like a genuine threat at all times. The Marvel villains just stand around making speeches, telling everyone how evil they're going to be. Heath Ledger talked about knives, matches & gasoline and you believed people were in danger just being in the same room as the guy (it does help if you have a great actor with a decent script of course) Even the fabled Thanos chap just seems like another ostentatiously dressed fellow, sitting on a throne making dire portents. Quiver in fear :rolleyes:

I certainly don't think it helps that the lead characters can't be killed off, but you don't need the villain to murder someone to get across the sense of threat; in the case of the Marvel villains thus far they don't actually do anything. They have no sense of power, charisma, that sense of potential danger, nevermind actual danger. It seems like all they're ever doing is chasing some magical orb/ring/crystal/McGuffin which almost instantly depowers them as a threat.

I certainly don't think it helps that the lead characters can't be killed off, but you don't need the villain to murder someone to get across the sense of threat; in the case of the Marvel villains thus far they don't actually do anything. They have no sense of power, charisma, that sense of potential danger, nevermind actual danger. It seems like all they're ever doing is chasing some magical orb/ring/crystal/McGuffin which almost instantly depowers them as a threat.

When combined with a complete lack of charisma, they just become bland and harmless. When I was watching the Dark Knight for the first time, I nearly felt threatened by some of the Joker's scenes. The villain doesn't necessarily need to kill anyone important to be a screen presence, though it certainly helps. I don't think Hardy's Bane killed any of the main cast in TDKR and I thought he was one of the most memorable Hollywood villains.
    I genuinely keep forgetting that Thor 2 even had a villain. I remember the giant monster chasing birds in the post credits scene more than the antagonist.

• Advertisement
Advertisement