Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmm, that was a (predominantly) very sober trailer, wasn't it? Jarringly so, when you consider how openly offbeat and goofy the previous promos have been. Almost none of the playfulness was on show. The last scene had humour, and did make me laugh, but if that was my first experience of GotG as an upcoming feature, I'd say 'no thank you'. [*]

* Ish. I am a space opera junkie so I'd probably still end up seeing it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I guess they dont want to give the impression people will be going to see a comedy, Peoples expectations are a fragile thing and if Marvel do it wrong people will use the internet to voice there dismay.

So now I have no idea what to expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm looking forward to this and amn't watching any new trailers because Im not a comic book person but want to go in cold and take the film on spec. Based on the original trailers I was expecting more of a comedy, especially with casting Chris Pratt. I don't think I'm so keen on this being a more serious film however. I guess it'll straddle both camps, a bit like the Thor movies. In truth though I can't really watch Thor without criticizing it because it takes itself fairly seriously with some comedy thrown in. I'd prefer if it was move comedy based with some seriousness thrown in. I don't think people are quite ready to invest in Groot etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

was up in vue today and theyve a big poster up saying this is gonna be out july 31st.

only a day earlier but there ya go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

squonk wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to this and amn't watching any new trailers because Im not a comic book person but want to go in cold and take the film on spec. Based on the original trailers I was expecting more of a comedy, especially with casting Chris Pratt. I don't think I'm so keen on this being a more serious film however. I guess it'll straddle both camps, a bit like the Thor movies. In truth though I can't really watch Thor without criticizing it because it takes itself fairly seriously with some comedy thrown in. I'd prefer if it was move comedy based with some seriousness thrown in. I don't think people are quite ready to invest in Groot etc.

People will be endeared to Groot very quickly if he's executed as well in the movie as he is in the comics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Bit more of a generic trailer alright but it probably had to be done or people would be going in expecting an off the wall space action/comedy. I don't think the movie is suddenly going to loose it's wit, charm or uniqueness off the back of that trailer. There's still a gun toting raccoon and a talking tree with a limited vocabulary in it! I think maybe we (the people who've been tracking this movie from the start) are "over" the novelty of the idea but general audiences seeing that trailer will look at that and think "well that's different". Whether they like it or not, who knows, that was the risk Marvel took. To me it looks fantastic. It's been too long since we've had a genuinely good space opera up on the big screen, hopefully this puts an end to it.

I think I'm done with the trailers now too. Any more trailers and TV spots are just going to start giving away stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Can't post spoiler tags on my phone, so all I'll say is Google Nathan Fallion right now, if the reports are true then Marvel have nailed another perfect casting :)

Can't post spoiler tags on my phone, so all I'll say is Google Nathan Fallion right now, if the reports are true then Marvel have nailed another perfect casting :)

They'll have to get him on the treadmill and run off that Castle weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

They'll have to get him on the treadmill and run off that Castle weight.

Sounds like it's already been filmed

I know you definitely can't judge a film by its soundtrack cover but I do really like this

10336596_615567358558290_8182185142330087158_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Some hints from cineworld on their Facebook page seem to suggest the secret unlimited screen on July 15th is Guardians :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Really hope so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

cloud493 wrote: »
    Some hints from cineworld on their Facebook page seem to suggest the secret unlimited screen on July 15th is Guardians :D

The world premiere is in California on the 21st of July. I really cant see Cineworld getting a screening of it 6 days before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

has anyone read the comics in advance of this?

I read the 2008 run of comics, from the trailers it looks like they have based the appearance of the characters off that run!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Are the comics any good? I've been debating whether to give them a shot, or just wait for the film and see if that makes me pick them up.

The comic is one of the few published byMarvel that I read. It's formulaic but rather fun and there's a nice streak of goofy humor running throughout them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And back to the comedy with the trailers; for those himming and hawing, there's nothing in it that's grossly spoiler'y, there's a bit more banter between the group all right, and it definitely sells the oddball bickering between them. It's getting to a point where this film can only disappoint because it looks so enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

humanji wrote: »
    Are the comics any good? I've been debating whether to give them a shot, or just wait for the film and see if that makes me pick them up.

The series that started in 2013 is a fun read. It's a good jumping on point, but there isn't much in the way of origins for the characters - if you want that, you'd have to delve into the pre-reboot comics. Most fans consider the 2008 run to be the quintessential Guardians - there are 25 issues, but the problem is that they are heavily tied to wider events taking place in the Cosmic Marvel Universe so they're not as easy to pick up and read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

I'd be fairly sure it's gonna be Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

Shush I'm trying to hope here :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Isn't the Guardians thing just showing short footage of the film? 15 minutes or something like that I read.

Theres a 17 minute preview being shown somewhere I think, going by Facebook comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Im really digging he astethic.

ronan and co could look REALLY stupid if done wrong.

whatever else this film will at least look glorious.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Definitely looking forward to this one. It just doesn't feel like it's another Marvel Studios' cookie cutter release (famous last words, I know).

• Advertisement

Just out from the 17 minute preview. And I am excited!

James Gunns style of humour is all over this and it works perfectly. Rocket was easily the star of the preview, very witty and his animations are top notch. Groot also got a few laughs and his actions scenes were great.

Only bits that I'm not sold on is Batista, but to be fair he was barely in the preview we got.

Just out from the 17 minute preview. And I am excited!

James Gunns style of humour is all over this and it works perfectly. Rocket was easily the star of the preview, very witty and his animations are top notch. Groot also got a few laughs and his actions scenes were great.

Only bits that I'm not sold on is Batista, but to be fair he was barely in the preview we got.

Where did you see it?

Where did you see it?

Cineworld, they showed it in the IMAX screen

Goddamn, I was in cineworld all day :mad: didn't even see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Any Guardians or Star Wars fans will love this

• Advertisement

Cineworld are opening the booking for this today :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Any Guardians or Star Wars fans will love this

That would be fantastic if it didn't give away the Death Star blowing up in the 1st 15 or so seconds

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Listen, I'm looking forward to this film as I think it could be one of Marvel's last chances to make something distinctive and offbeat, but christ Empire's hyperbolic 'future of movies' headline makes me throw up a little. Even by Empire standards!

gaurdians-of-the-galaxy-empire-cover-1--101302.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

That headline is in reference to a completely different feature within the magazine that discusses the cinemas/home entertainment systems of the near future.

But I'm guessing they had their reasons for placing it where they did.

Terrible cover. The colour scheme in the background is just awful, I don't even know what the background is supposed to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

I saw new posters for some characters from this film today. The characters all had wonderfully outlandish names like Drax and Groot... Korath and Nebula... and Ronan.

This film is going to do wonders for all the Ronan's in the towns and villages across this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Bacchus

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Terrible cover. The colour scheme in the background is just awful, I don't even know what the background is supposed to be

I didn't realise that Gremlins were going be in this. Way to go and spoil that Empire!

My ticket is booked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I am really looking forward to this movie. Chris Pratt is hilarious and it looks like a very enjoyable film....pity whenever I mention it to my friends I get the "oh is that the weird one with the racoon thing? ya looks like ****e".....

looks like I'll be seeing it alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I am really looking forward to this movie. Chris Pratt is hilarious and it looks like a very enjoyable film....pity whenever I mention it to my friends I get the "oh is that the weird one with the racoon thing? ya looks like ****e".....

I've seen the trailer I dunno how many times over here now and the audience reactions for every time seem to be half "awesome!" half "...whut?" I don't think it'll be a mega hit on the scale of a Spider-Man or Batman movie but it'll do quite well and if it's good then word of mouth might convince people who don't know what to make of it to go. Hope it's not a flop for the sake of Marvel taking a chance on something that isn't as well known as the big superheros outside of comic fans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I was queuing for Transformers recently and one of the guys in the line mentioned that he really wanted to see HTTYD2. Needless to say his mates put that notion to rest promptly.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The overwhelming impression I've gotten from others when the trailer has played in the cinema has been 'that looks awful'.

It doesn't help that the first trailer isn't great. Have to cringe at the "what an a-hole" line every time I hear it :(

That first trailer was brilliant :eek::eek:

Of course, it's still totally up in the air whether this film will actually be any good, but you'd hope that if it is, word of mouth will do the job and convince those unimpressed by its obvious kookiness. Mind you, some people just don't like silly in their popcorn.

It's that great cosmic joke: whether it's this film or another one in the distant future, the successfully ambitious, idiosyncratic and 'edgy' Marvel film is likely the one that will end up not making at least half a billion dollars just because of the very fact that it exists and the hardest to sell to the huge audience that laps these films up. That's making an, as of now, unproven assumption that said hypothetical film will ever exist.

I have a friend who loves all the Marvel films but even he seems hesitant about this. He says he wants to see it but he got more excited about the Expendables 3 trailer

From what I expect the film won't take itself too seriously. I'm looking forward to it. Looks like a good action film thats light hearted in a way. I think want won't help is how everyone tears films apart now as if they were critics. It seems theres no middle ground between awful and great anymore in the eyes of some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

I really hope it does do well. If it doesn't, then we won't get the awesome Avengers+GOTG vs Thanos movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

From what I expect the film won't take itself too seriously. I'm looking forward to it. Looks like a good action film thats light hearted in a way. I think want won't help is how everyone tears films apart now as if they were critics. It seems theres no middle ground between awful and great anymore in the eyes of some people.

I think any film where the trailer has a CGI gun toting racoon fixing his crotch while he walks along in slow motion to a Swedish rock ballad from the 70's has it's tongue planted so firmly in it's cheek it's practically boring a hole straight through it.

Advertisement