Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I really hope it does do well. If it doesn't, then we won't get the awesome Avengers+GOTG vs Thanos movie.

Apparently Marvel have stated they have a list of films they plan on doing from now until 2028. Obviously it depends on finance and how well they do to whether or not they will come out.

From what people are saying if Guardians of the Galaxy does well there will be a second one released in 2016-2017, they also have planned another Avengers film for release 2018 so presumedly if GOTG is doing well thats what the Avengers film will be about.

Hopefully we see it as you say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Apparently Marvel have stated they have a list of films they plan on doing from now until 2028. Obviously it depends on finance and how well they do to whether or not they will come out.

From what people are saying if Guardians of the Galaxy does well there will be a second one released in 2016-2017, they also have planned another Avengers film for release 2018 so presumedly if GOTG is doing well thats what the Avengers film will be about.

Hopefully we see it as you say!

You've got to applaud Marvel for their vision with all this, the movies are actually being tied together and not just knocked out with no bigger picture involved. Granted they skim over the whole "not contacting anyone else in the Avengers to help out a bit" aspect but meh, these things cost a fortune and actors have their own schedules and other movies to do as well so they probably cant fit people bar minor cameos into every other film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

krudler wrote: »
    You've got to applaud Marvel for their vision with all this, the movies are actually being tied together and not just knocked out with no bigger picture involved. Granted they skim over the whole "not contacting anyone else in the Avengers to help out a bit" aspect but meh, these things cost a fortune and actors have their own schedules and other movies to do as well so they probably cant fit people bar minor cameos into every other film.

They have a vision, there's no doubt about that and it's great to see a studio take care with the material and mythology of comics, but bar GotG -based on the concept and what has been seen- the Marvel movies are becoming incredibly interchangeable and generic. A masterplan of releases into the 2020s sounds impressive on paper, but creatively it can't bode well that future films will have any kind of wriggle room for scriptwriters or directors. Keep them Avengers films a' churnin'!

pixelburp wrote: »
    They have a vision, there's no doubt about that and it's great to see a studio take care with the material and mythology of comics, but bar GotG -based on the concept and what has been seen- the Marvel movies are becoming incredibly interchangeable and generic. A masterplan of releases into the 2020s sounds impressive on paper, but creatively it can't bode well that future films will have any kind of wriggle room for scriptwriters or directors. Keep them Avengers films a' churnin'!

That's true,for every Shane Black there'll be someone who'll just push the buttons and give Marvel what they want. It must be frustrating for directors who want even a little creative freedom but gotta keep the demographics and toy companies happy.
    But their choices have been good so far, Kenneth Branagh, Shane Black, now James Gunn, hardly by the numbers hack directors. Although Iron Man 3 did just feel like a Shane Black movie guest starring Iron Man, but since I love the guy I didn't mind :pac: People give IM3 a lot of flack but I thought messing around with the concept of the villain was inspired, pity it just fell into the third act shoot em up sequence like the others.

On a side note, from early buzz it seems GOTG doesn't do that with it's climax, horray!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Only one film felt phoned in to me and that was Thor 2, but then Cap 2 ended up being the best Marvel film to date bar the Avengers imo so my faith was restored somewhat.

• Advertisement

I found Captain America to be a lot of fun right up until that dreadful final third which just felt like a retread of The Avengers ending which in turn felt like a rip off of Transformers 3. The Marvel films are in real danger of becoming far too familiar, the huge rewrites and reshoots in order to appeal to fans smacks of a company who are terrified of straying too far from the tried and tested. They seem to be seeking out less and less interesting filmmakers so that the films can be committee led.

Thor 2 was a prime example of this. They brought in a nobody who was pretty much a yes man and shot what he was told to. Beefing up Loki's role was a mistake and who ever decided to put so much emphasis on the humans almost ruined the film.

That's true,for every Shane Black there'll be someone who'll just push the buttons and give Marvel what they want. It must be frustrating for directors who want even a little creative freedom but gotta keep the demographics and toy companies happy.
    But their choices have been good so far, Kenneth Branagh, Shane Black, now James Gunn, hardly by the numbers hack directors. Although Iron Man 3 did just feel like a Shane Black movie guest starring Iron Man, but since I love the guy I didn't mind :pac: People give IM3 a lot of flack but I thought messing around with the concept of the villain was inspired, pity it just fell into the third act shoot em up sequence like the others.

On a side note, from early buzz it seems GOTG doesn't do that with it's climax, horray!

Much like the death of Colson, Marvel went and retconned the Mandarin in a one shot short. They didn't trust in the decision the filmmakers made and decided to once again mess around with characters so as to appease fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I think Cap 2 is the best Marvel film. And I have 3 tickets for GOTG booked for thursday 31st, so if it fails it ain't my fault :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Much like the death of Colson, Marvel went and retconned the Mandarin in a one shot short. They didn't trust in the decision the filmmakers made and decided to once again mess around with characters so as to appease fans.

I thought Killian was the Mandarin. He even said so at the end of the film.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I thought Killian was the Mandarin. He even said so at the end of the film.

He means in a marvel one shot they put as extras on the DVD/blu rays of the marvel films.
    Trevor Slattery, having been captured at the end of Iron Man 3, is now being held in Seagate Prison. At the prison, he is living luxuriously, having his own personal "butler", Herman, as well as other inmates who act as his fan club and protection from other inmates. Looking on at the attention Slattery receives in the cafeteria, is Justin Hammer, who wonders what makes him so special. Slattery has been talking with a documentary filmmaker, Jackson Norriss, to chronicle the events of the Mandarin situation seen in Iron Man 3. Norriss, trying to learn more about Slattery personally, recounts his past from his first casting as a child as well as starring in a failed CBS pilot. Norriss eventually informs Slattery that his portrayal has angered some people, including the actual Ten Rings terrorist group, which Slattery did not know existed. Norriss tells him the history of the Mandarin and the terrorist group, before revealing that he is actually a member of the group. The real reason for Norriss interviewing Slattery is to break him out of prison so he can meet the actual Mandarin. Hearing this, Slattery still has no idea of the full ramifications of his posing as the Mandarin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Didn't know that. Could be an interesting premise for the cacophony of explosions that will be Iron Man 4.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

But their choices have been good so far, Kenneth Branagh, Shane Black, now James Gunn, hardly by the numbers hack directors. [...]

No, but it's creeping in that direction; Branagh didn't return for Thor 2, with Marvel preferring a TV first-timer to take the helm. Captain America 2 was the exact same, though the Russos do deserve praise for bringing some earthiness & grounding. The end result was still fairly run-of-the-mill, with a tedious and generic last act. Let's not even mention Agents of SHIELD, which was hamstrung by its own existence within the Marvelverse, incapable of telling any decent tales 'til the suits said it was OK. The Edgar Wright / Ant-Man kerfuffle -unless more news has come out since- suggested Marvel want complete control over all franchises' development, with yet another TV no-name replacing a singular talent such as Wright.

I actually hope GotG doesn't go for a cameo on Earth, or have Tony Stark pop-up during the end credits because it'd be nice to think at least some of the Marvelverse will stay divorced of the main melting pot; it's getting far too crowded. James Gunn was a smart choice, quite clever really, but if this film gets a sequel it'll be interesting to see who gets hired; precedent says Gunn won't be back.

Oh and yeah I enjoyed Iron Man 3, it was a little different and as you say much more of a Shane Black film that just so happened to featured a playboy in a mech-suit. But like Captain America 2, it suffered from Bombastic Last Act Syndrome & Tedium; uh oh, there has been too much dialogue and banter, make everything explode!

Have any of ye watched Agents of SHIELD? I just about got through a TV spot before deciding it wasn't for me.

Yeah I likes it a whole lot. Still dealing with the fallout of Cap 2.

http://www.slashfilm.com/early-guardians-of-the-galaxy-reviews/

There may come a day when mighty Marvel starts to fall, but it seems we’re not there yet. The first wave of reactions to Guardians of the Galaxy have just hit the web, and they’re nothing short of stunning. Critics are positively fawning over Guardians‘ action, humor, heart, and cinematography; some have even declared it Marvel’s finest film yet. Any fears that audiences won’t be able to connect to a superhero team that includes a gun-toting raccoon and a talking tree can officially be put to rest. Hit the jump to see the early Guardians of the Galaxy reviews and learn what people are saying.

Naturally, the usual caveats apply. These are brief, instant reactions, not thoughtfully considered reviews. But the overwhelming positivity speaks for itself. Even if these people are exaggerating somewhat, Guardians promises to be, at the very least, another solid entry in the Marvel canon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

cloud493 wrote: »
    He means in a marvel one shot they put as extras on the DVD/blu rays of the marvel films.

But we already knew Ten Rings really exists in the movie continuity - they were in the first Iron Man movie. And of course Ten Rings is named for the real Mandarin's actual 10 rings - which had nothing to do with Slattery or Killian.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wait for the actual reviews... I've seen a lot of incredibly positive early buzz for films that final consensus turned out to be mediocre or disappointing. Some writers often get over-excited when they're the first people to see a film. Cause for cautious optimism at least, and hopefully will be justified :)

Every time I think I have my hype in check, I read stuff like the above Twitter responses and get terribly excited again. Wish 1st August would just hurry up and get here, put us all out of our misery. Of course, then the real discussions / arguments start ;)

Its out on the 31st :p and i'm allowing myself to be excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

Marvel have released the dates of their next movies

http://www.slashgear.com/marvel-studios-reveals-dates-for-five-new-movies-22338151/
    The first of these five movies will be released on July 27, 2017, with the rest, in order, being released on November 3, 2017, July 6, 2018, November 2, 2018, and May 3, 2019. According to Variety, it is believed Marvel will be revealing each film's title later this week at the San Diego Comic-Con.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Thebigblue

Looking forward to this guardians of the galaxy. Was extremely disappointed in captain america

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Thebigblue wrote: »
    Looking forward to this guardians of the galaxy. Was extremely disappointed in captain america

Winter Soldier ??? one of the best yet :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Love these Comic-Con posters, shame they never make it into the cinema.

HlQhvMU.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Robbie Collins has reported on Twitter that it is a whole lot of fun. He compared the action to a Cave shooter. If you're wondering what that means....

Basically: all of the goddamn bullets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Wait for the actual reviews... I've seen a lot of incredibly positive early buzz for films that final consensus turned out to be mediocre or disappointing. Some writers often get over-excited when they're the first people to see a film. Cause for cautious optimism at least, and hopefully will be justified :)

MOS and TDKR are two in particular that spring to mind (even though I still liked the former and loved the latter).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

MOS and TDKR are two in particular that spring to mind (even though I still liked the former and loved the latter).

Actually MOS is the reason I take early short reviews with a huge pinch of salt. Hated most things about that film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

For what it's worth, IGN gave it a 9.2 :D

Signs are looking good!
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/07/24/guardians-of-the-galaxy-review

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

its getting alot of good reviews.

havent seen a bad one yet, but its still early !

:D

cant wait till next week meself.

For what it's worth, IGN gave it a 9.2 :D

Signs are looking good!
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/07/24/guardians-of-the-galaxy-review

Imdb have it at 8.9/10 atm and RT have it at 100% (Only 13 critics though)

Fingers cross the good reviews keep coming in!

Cant wait to see it and if a good bit of time goes by and the reviews are still good I might be able to convince my friends to come with me!

• Advertisement

General consensus so far seems to be that it's really, really funny. I saw a quick clip of it on a new show here and the 2-3 mins of it made me chuckle a few times so that bodes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

First in line next Thursday for this... still the movie I'm most looking forward to this Summer.

EDIT: Might be Friday actually judging by the dire viewing times in my local cinema for the Thursday..

6akxwd.png

Cineworld's screening's start on thursday at 11.30am :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

Showtime in limerick showing it 11:40am too!

Keep it civil, please. Any more posts along those lines will be deleted.

Darko, there's no need for comments like that, they add nothing to the discussion. The thread is for discussing the film itself, not the people who might enjoy it.

Keep it civil, please. Any more posts along those lines will be deleted.

Darko, there's no need for comments like that, they add nothing to the discussion. The thread is for discussing the film itself, not the people who might enjoy it.

My comment wasn't an attack on anyone, as I said I'm looking forward to this as much, if not more than most but the fact remains that in most early screenings there will be an element of the audience who are disruptive and not for the usual reasons. I don't think stating as such can be seen as an attack at those who might enjoy the film.

• Advertisement

Apparently there was no end credits bit on the premiere, so we don't know what it is yet :D

cloud493 wrote: »
    Apparently there was no end credits bit on the premiere, so we don't know what it is yet :D

That's fairly common. At this stage the end credits scene is like the encore at a gig, you can't help but hope that they'll just stick at at the end of the film rather than forcing you to sit through 10 minutes of credits in order to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Really wish Cineworld were doing a midnight launch, but tickets are now in the bag, roll on 8:30 Thursday evening :)

Is anywhere doing a midnight launch? swords isn't.

pixelburp wrote: »
    [...]
    James Gunn was a smart choice, quite clever really, but if this film gets a sequel it'll be interesting to see who gets hired; precedent says Gunn won't be back.
    [...]

Shows what I know! Looks like Gunn will be back to write & direct the sequel; I guess Marvel are confident the hype and early good reviews will translate into big bucks.

http://www.avclub.com/article/james-gunn-will-write-and-direct-guardians-galaxy--207391

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

25 reviews and still 100% on RT, even the most highly rated films usually have a few naysayers chiming in by that point.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    25 reviews and still 100% on RT, even the most highly rated films usually have a few naysayers chiming in by that point.

Im trying to keep my hopes down until I see it myself but god I getting even more excited about seeing it. Read a review earlier saying that if you go with someone to see it the only thing you would argue about after the film was who your favourite character was and how it is one of Marvels best films.

I really hope this isn't just early hype and that when its released everywhere the good reviews continue!

Only 5 or so days :D

Me on Thursday

tsHGSjM.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah.. since my local doesn't have a night-time showing on Thursday, I'm very tempted to have a very quick dinner and head out to the 6.30pm show on Thursday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Mickeroo wrote: »

Excellent, the longer the 100% exists, the more explosive the comments will be on the first negative review!
    Some of the comments on a 5/10 for Boyhood are absolutely fantastic!

The Rotten Tomatoes percentage is a weird one. While it has its purpose, it also doesn't really account for how much people enjoyed the film. Theoretically, anyway, a film everyone thought was 'decent' could get a higher rating than one most critics bar a couple found 'exceptional'. Weighting scores brings its own unique issues as well, of course.

Better to look at the individual responses. From what I've read Guardians has been received by a lot of writers as good solid fun as opposed to anything truly remarkable (outside of the comic fan community, anyway). Still, even the most reserved indications seem to suggest it's far from the disaster it could well have been :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Metacritic have it at 77/100 at the moment which is quite good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Off to see this tonight in Cineworld - Special Screening :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Off to see this tonight in Cineworld - Special Screening :D
    Don't suppose you could sneak us all in under your coat?

• Advertisement
Advertisement