Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Off to see this tonight in Cineworld - Special Screening :D

YOUR FACE IS BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD*

*Lucky, enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Off to see this tonight in Cineworld - Special Screening :D

Well???? How was it, pants I take it ;) nooooooooooooooooooooo spoilers please. did you see it in 2d or 3d I heard the 3d might be worth it for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Can't make the Thursday screening as I have training and we've a work night out so won't get to see this until Saturday :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I read a good few of the comics in preparation for this and I hope they keep Rocket Racoon's battle catchphrase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Richie6904 wrote: »
    Well???? How was it, pants I take it ;) nooooooooooooooooooooo spoilers please. did you see it in 2d or 3d I heard the 3d might be worth it for this

Fantastic film... Funniest Marvel movie so far, soundtrack was absolutely awesome as well.
    I love Chris Pratt from Parks & Rec so really enjoyed him in the role of Star Lord.
    Everyone will love Groot & Rocket but I was pleasantly surprised with Bautista playing Drax.

Was in Screen 17 in 3D, they wheeled Rick O'Shea out beforehand to do a bit of an introduction and Forbidden Planet gave out a free Comic.

Wouldn't be very familiar with the Comic but friend I was with said there was lots of in jokes which fans will be pleased. Plenty of clapping throughout at certain parts also.

Fav scenes were
    Michael Rookers Yondu whit the whistle arrow and Groot & Rocket in the prison escape.

To Summarise - 4/5 for me, let down a bit because I though Ronan the Accuser was a weak enough foe. That and Marvel/Disney need to do a bit of a better job in the final 3rd, was a tad bit formulaic towards the end.

Also, point of note. There was no End Credits scene for the preview but from reading last night James Gunn said their would be for the general release shows. Was a crap feeling watching the screen turn white at the end of credits.

Free posters in cineworld tomorrow to the first 75 people at the first Imax showing :cool:

That was so awesome :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

..really enjoyed it myself.And there is an end credit scene now
    Howard the duck eh? I wasnt expecting that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The end-credit scene leaked yesterday so curiosity got the better of me and watched it..

Howard The Duck was just a little bit random and strange, but not nearly as strange as the sex scene he had with Lea Thompson in the movie from the 80's!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Probably my favourite film from marvel so far it was awesome

It's also laugh out loud hilarious. Not what I expected but all the better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Dr Bob wrote: »
    ..really enjoyed it myself.And there is an end credit scene now
    Howard the duck eh? I wasnt expecting that

Is there only the one credit scene? Remember how some Marvel movies have two end credits scenes, one in the middle and then one at the very end. Ive heard people talking about a mid credit scene too but haven't seen it yet.
    I would have my doubts about getting a good film with Howard the Duck in it, I'm praying it is just a funny scene that has no impact on the future of the franchise, like in previous Marvel post credit scenes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

cloud493 wrote: »
    It's also laugh out loud hilarious. Not what I expected but all the better for it.

Excellent. How were the crowds? Was it packed?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

It was busy, not overcrowded. Good atmosphere.

And only one credits scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Off to see this in 2D on Friday. Looking forward to it. Unexpectedly positive feedback from all sorts of folk you'd expect to be, 'snooty', about it..

A text review by: Chris Ward of The Guardian

A video review by: Catherine Shoard of theguardian.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

Any feedback as to if it's worth seeing in 3d?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Heading to see this tonight

Can't wait because this is getting consistently high scores from almost everyone, which is a very positive indicator of a great movie.

Seems to be living up to all the hype by all accounts

Heading to see this in Cineworld tonight (in 3D)

Can't wait because this is getting consistently high scores from almost everyone, which is a very positive indicator of a great movie.

Seems to be living up to all the hype by all accounts

***EDIT: DOUBLE POST****

Not to oversell it but it is really, really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

ronano wrote: »
    Any feedback as to if it's worth seeing in 3d?
    Short answer is no, added close to nothing to the experience. And to top it, like all the other Marvel films it was post-converted to 3D

The movie on its own is fantastic and unexpectedly hilarious, there was more laughter in the screening I was at then I've witnessed in so-called "comedies"

Personal comedy highlight, don't read spoiler if you haven't seen the movie obviously

Ronan about to kill everyone. Quill comes out... for a dance off. Fantastic. And the footloose dancing references while He and Gamora were listening to his walkman. Amazing in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

just back from this .

thought it was brilliant !

:D:D:D

has an incredible amount of heart in it too which really gets ya to feel for the characters. if ya dont well up after a drunken revelation from rocket after a particular fight your heart is made of stone.

visually its sumptuous. seriously its gorgeous to look at alone but the main driving force is the characters themselves, by the end of the film you really do buy them coming together as a team.

the only thing that annoyed me was the 3D. i do think it actually added a fair bit to the film but by storys end my left eye was killing me. my advice would be to go see it on the BIGGEST screen ya can and do it in 2d.

gotta give pratt his props, he's got serious leading man potential on display here. i really do think this could make him go big time. theres stuff in this that just wouldnt work with another guy.

9/10 from me. a team film where everyone gets their time in the light and leaves ya wanting more.

by the way didnt stay till the end of credits as the lights came up and usually that means there isnt one. if anyone did stay could ya throw in what it was in spoiler tags?

cheers.

just back from this .

thought it was brilliant !

:D:D:D

has an incredible amount of heart in it too which really gets ya to feel for the characters. if ya dont well up after a drunken revelation from rocket after a particular fight your heart is made of stone.

visually its sumptuous. seriously its gorgeous to look at alone but the main driving force is the characters themselves, by the end of the film you really do buy them coming together as a team.

the only thing that annoyed me was the 3D. i do think it actually added a fair bit to the film but by storys end my left eye was killing me. my advice would be to go see it on the BIGGEST screen ya can and do it in 2d.

gotta give pratt his props, he's got serious leading man potential on display here. i really do think this could make him go big time. theres stuff in this that just wouldnt work with another guy.

9/10 from me. a team film where everyone gets their time in the light and leaves ya wanting more.

by the way didnt stay till the end of credits as the lights came up and usually that means there isnt one. if anyone did stay could ya throw in what it was in spoiler tags?

cheers.
    The collector, cosmos, and howard the duck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I seem to be very much in the minority but I'm sorry to say this did nothing for me, very average. I know nothing of the comics so not sure if that makes a difference but there was a lot going on and I had no idea who many of the characters, allies, enemies etc. were. Overall I thought it was very formulaic and while it is funny in parts I felt they tried a bit too hard for the laughs at times. There are a few good scenes and visuals but the story lets it down for me. And the end credits scene is just an attempt to get one last laugh, not worth staying for in my opinion.

One of the weakest of the Marvel movies for me. Not sure how this fits with the other Marvel movies either. Maybe all will become clear with future films.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Wasn't really my bag of cats. I'll give it another lash on Blu-Ray, maybe I wasn't in the form for the kind of film it was.
    It took me ages to get into the comic books as well , so I hope its a grower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Didn't think I would like it, but I thought it was great.

ROCKET RULED

For me, Drax was the most disappointing of the lead characters and even he made a good impression in the second part of the movie when you learn a bit more about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

goz83 wrote: »
    For me, Drax was the most disappointing of the lead characters and even he made a good impression in the second part of the movie when you learn a bit more about him.

Of the main characters, I felt they got him a bit off. He just seemed a bit ... ineffectual.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭KEITH_KILDUFF

Went to see this last night in Mullingar, 3D viewing, decent crowd.

Ive found my interest in this building all the time because of the relationship with Rocket and Quill, and they certainly didnt disappoint! Really bounced off one another so well!

I thought they set up the group pretty well, and showed that there were all involved with one another without really them ever knowing it, Drax was a little wooden at times, but hes not an actor really so I can understand! I felt he grew into the role though the more the film went on.

Groot was pretty funny, although it kinda got old everytime he spoke he spoke Rocket translated what he actually said?

Pratt as Peter Quill was an inspired choice I feel, really got to understand the character from the get go, and showed loads of depth, and really grew into the role as the "Leader" of the group.

Spoilers for funny lines now!
    Gamora - "Were just like Kevin Bacon now"
    Ronan - "What are you doing?" Quill - "Distracting you of course!"
    "This tree is my friend also" - Drax
    Quill - "lifes giving us a chance..." Drax - "To do what?" Quill - "To give a ****"
    Rocket - "Oh I didnt need his leg at all, I thought it would be funny thats all? Wasnt it funny watching him hop around the place?!"

Any many more!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Michael rooker was awesome in this.

A star wars for the new generation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Decent at best, some funny lines and one very good action sequence (the prison escape) but that was about it for me.

Short review I put up on letterboxd:

"Same box of tricks in a new coat. With every new Marvel movie I am initially excited with the setup but become increasingly bored with them ambling towards the most generic of action climaxes. Same flying, shooting, fighting climax as Captain America 2, same villainous plot as The Avengers. This is a film that loses its personality as it goes on."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Very underwhelmed by the movie. As someone with no fore knowledge of the comics and backgrounds of the characters the movie was very derivative and formulaic and tried too hard for laughs at times. Not a bad movie but no way it justifies all the hype it is getting. One of my least favourite marvel movies, but still worth a watch though if you are a marvel fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

I really enjoyed it. I think I'd prefer this to the Avenger installments. Not familiar with any of the source material for these characters which I think helped my viewing. Would recommend to friends to go watch it. 2D for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Saw this in IMAX and the proper format shots filling the screen looked amazing in it, particularly the stuff in space and the battle with all the ships.

I really, really enjoyed this, it's all played tongue in cheek and so all the better for it, but it has some surprisingly heartfelt moments, and a ton of genuine laugh out loud scenes.

Chris Pratt is a megastar in the making, Peter Quill is parts Han Solo, parts Indiana Jones and a lot of Flash Gordon goofiness thrown in for good measure, hell the opening scene shown in all the trailers of him in the temple is basically his Raiders intro and he gets some fantastic one liners throughout. Bradley Cooper is a lot of fun as Rocket, Batista was surprisingly funny as Drax and has some of the funniest moments of the movie, Zoe Saldana is good, Groot is awesome, and
    baby Groot, who wouldn't want one of those?!

It does go down the third act formulaic battle approach yet again but there are some unexpected parts too, the entire audience was in bits laughing at
    Quill challenging Ronan to a dance off in the finale, and the Footloose/Kevin Bacon references were inspired

It serves it purpose well, explores a bigger Marvel -verse without the Avengers and sets up a crossover at some point down the line. And it's loads of fun to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Chris Pratt is gonna become a superstar actor in the next few years with this and Jurassic World which he's the lead in as well.

Loved it.. action-packed, very funny, quite moving at times and had an absolute belter of a soundtrack too.

Probably not as many gut-busting laughs as the likes of The Avengers - but felt the humour was great (Pratt's line
    "put a black light in here and it's like a Jackson Pollock painting"
    had me in bits!). I thought the cast all had cracking comedic timing, particularly Pratt who's well used it thanks to his time on Parks And Rec.

And while we're on the subject, he's no longer just Andy Dwyer / Burt Macklin - with Parks And Rec ending next year, Chris Pratt is a very capable and bankable actor.. he impressed me in smaller roles like Moneyball (etc) but as a lead, he absolutely shines.

Gunn's direction was excellent too.. definitely a labour of love for him and it showed. And hopefully this will meant people will give some of his other less-mainstream movies a shot - like Slither and Super.

Is it my favourite Marvel movie yet? Hmmmm... I think The Avengers still has that title, but I just think Whedon as a writer and director is just perfect. But in saying that, I think it's definitely a contest for the top. This impressed me no end!

And how refreshing was it to see a Marvel movie with a fresh cast of characters? Jesus.. I love Marvel but feck me, this was really REALLY needed.

Anyways, can't wait for the second one.

Friend went to see it this evening and left half way through. He said that much as he was enjoying it there was a section of the audience who laughed at every single line of dialogue and were clapping at the same time. Now that wouldn't be a problem if the film was non stop one liners but he said that every second line was drowned out by the "laughter". A number of people went out to complain but were told that the best the cinema could do was offer a ticket for another screening.

Friend went to see it this evening and left half way through. He said that much as he was enjoying it there was a section of the audience who laughed at every single line of dialogue and were clapping at the same time. Now that wouldn't be a problem if the film was non stop one liners but he said that every second line was drowned out by the "laughter".
    Not to go too off-topic here but..

Marvel fans are strange ones..

.. don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Marvel movies and am practically first in line for them.

But having been at a few of them on opening night - the Marvel fans come out in force and some of them just get TOO into it.. too immersed.. laugh at every little joke and reference ("Stan Lee.. LOL!"), and often are unaware how disruptive they can be.

Hope I'm not generalising too much there.. but while it's great to see some genuine love for the movies and this genre of movies, there are some very dedicated fans that verge on odd

Basq wrote: »
    Not to go too off-topic here but..

Marvel fans are strange ones..

.. don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Marvel movies and am practically first in line for them.

But having been at a few of them on opening night - the Marvel fans come out in force and some of them just get TOO into it.. too immersed.. laugh at every little joke and reference ("Stan Lee.. LOL!"), and often are unaware how disruptive they can be.

Hope I'm not generalising too much there.. but while it's great to see some genuine love for the movies and this genre of movies, there are some very dedicated fans that verge on odd

It happens with all the Marvel films, there's a certain "this film was made just me" attitude that fans take. Don't get me wrong, it's great to see such enthusiasm but when you have people doing that fake laughter thing and clapping it's ruining the experience for everyone else. And it's not just Marvel fans, the screenings of last years Doctor Who special was full of fans of the same ilk. It got so bad that a friend of mine left after 20 minutes and came over to mine to watch it on TV.

I am really looking forward to seeing Guardians, taking my 6 year old brother to see it sometime over the weekend and he's really excited for it. Every time we passed a poster for it in town today he would stop and look at it. Was close to going this afternoon but there were groups of teenagers in the cinema ahead of us buying tickets and they didn't seem like they were there for the film. We decided to go bowling instead and I'm after just checking on him and he's looking at one of my Guardians' graphic novels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Saw this tonight with some mates. Loved it. I've no idea of the comics but the trailer looked decent and the reviews are good.

I read a review where they said Drax was the worst actor. On seeing the film I took it to be that his race is a bit dumb and wooden e.g.
    "nothing goes over my head, I'd catch it"
    . In which case the acting was great :)
    Probably not though.

Plenty of laughs and the effects were great.

About 30% of the time these days I come out of a cinema feeling I've wasted my money. For this, I'll be heading back next week with my missus.

For those who got enjoyed the soundtrack..

[URL="spotify:user:digital_spy:playlist:1aWbc5Cmw2N3PfAid5MHNT"]Awesome Mix Vol. 1 - Spotify Playlist[/URL]

6wBqUW.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Basq your a hero!

And I agree with a few others, Chris Pratt is a star in the making, makes me want to watch Parks and Rec now to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Absolutely loved this, and the audience I saw it with did too. I'll have to watch Avengers again but I think this, for me, might just pip it as the Guardians are a much more dynamic group. I loved the Avengers but they are all "heroes" whereas the Guardians are much more ordinary. There were a few Basil Exposition moments which were a bit clunky but overall this definitely lived up to my expectations. I was grinning throughout and towards the end I was very close to having something in my eye

Gutted I won't get to hear Kermode review this
    Where can I get me 'We are Groot' T-shirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I really enjoyed this. I haven't seen any of the Avengers, I thought Iron Man 3 was ok but thinking back on it I wouldn't give it a second thought if it wasn't for going to see another Marvel film, and my favourite bit of it was the Mandarin reveal which seemed to get plenty of people's knickers in a twist. I thought Captain America was a load of rubbish. I went to see this because it had a cheeky talking raccoon.

The first 40 minutes for me were quite slow. I didn't know what the film was aiming for, and I didn't really buy the main character as a cross-galaxy treasure hunter (he finds an artifact, steels it and within 2 minutes people are right on his heels?) The chase scene across the planet was kind of weird too, lot's of people standing around, it was kind of silly then the police (finally) turned up.

It really took off from the prison scenes though, and that's where it firmly established to me what kind of film it was going to be. The comedy was decent, and I totally bought into the idea of this dude just telling bad jokes (great acting from the lead.) I liked Ronan, he seemed evil and angry enough to pull off the villain role. Initially I thought the sets they had him in were a bit formulaic but for this it was the formula that worked perfectly.

I wasn't looking forward to the last third of the film, I was expecting another Iron Man 3 where there's 20 minutes of boring fighting (except on a spaceship and not around ships and cranes.) I was surprised that that didn't happen. Sure there was some fighting, but not too much of it. And I think that was highlighted perfectly when the mooks came running around the corner after they had just fought off the first wave, I was expecting more fighting but instead Groot skewers and bashes the rest of them with his mook shish-kebab. Fight scene averted, with funny. Then the final "battle" with no actual fight and instead some great funny.

Three thumbs up from me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Everyone spot the former head of Troma, Lloyd Kaufman in the prison scene?
    He was James Gunns boss in the infamous studio and was also in a scene in the police station in Gunn's awesome Slither.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Howard the Duck??? Are you fūcking kidding me???

Does nobody remember how bad the original movie was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Basq your a hero!

And I agree with a few others, Chris Pratt is a star in the making, makes me want to watch Parks and Rec now to be honest!

Everyone should watch parks and rec. get past the ropey first season and you're in comedy heaven.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've never heard of Howard the Duck... What's the point of him?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Great performances all around and great chemistry between the team. My favorite marvel film, it just edges out captain america 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Surprisingly brilliant and quite emotional at times, got a lump in the throat once and twice. Definitely my favourite Marvel film.

• Advertisement
Advertisement