Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

OU812 wrote: »
    Howard the Duck??? Are you fūcking kidding me???

Does nobody remember how bad the original movie was?

That's cause Lucas watered the whole character down. go back and read the comics. He's a fun character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Oh and
    We Are Groot

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

How good was the opening with Quill
    dancing around the temple
    it was like Raiders but with a funkier soundtrack :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

krudler wrote: »
    How good was the opening with Quill
    dancing around the temple
    it was like Raiders but with a funkier soundtrack :pac:
    Grabbing the small alien creatures and using them as a microphone
    was inspired too! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Ah stop yer making me want go see it again...

might take the nephew as an excuse :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I've seen it 4 times now, still enjoyed it the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

cloud493 wrote: »
    I've seen it 4 times now, still enjoyed it the same.

4 times, crazy person with OCD says what now! ;):p

Is it that good?

Well I absolutely love it. Course I have that cineworld unlimited card, so those 4 showings including an imax one have only cost €5.50. Even so yes, it is that good.

Jaysus 4 times!! The only films I saw more than once in the cinema were TDK and TDKR. Though if there's any marvel film I'd see twice it's probably this.

You don't wanna see my tickets for the dark knight rises and captain america WS :p but yes I really really like this movie. And its not just for the reasons I expected either, which is even better. Theres nothing better than being really excited for something, then it actually topping your expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Jesus 2 hours of this film were more than enough for me, don't think I could handle 8. :pac:

I've seen films more than once, but I tend to leave it until a few weeks down the line so I can catch up with all the other good stuff that's out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If I had to watch a film twice in 48 hours, even one I loved, I wouldn't be able to watch it again for years.

Four times? I'd probably never want to see the damn thing ever again. The joy would be sucked out of it.

I certainly would never put myself in that situation willingly! Even with Primer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Bullseye1 op was 2012 now 2014. what did you think?????

You guys have no binge movie spirit I tells you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Ha I could watch a movie franchise, like trilogies and etc in one day but I don't think I could watch the same movie more than twice in 4 days!

Saying that me and my mates did watch Primer I think 3-4 times in a row one day when we first saw it, mainly to get our heads around it haha!

I want to see it again but when it dies down a bit, and because, IMAX. The full format shots were bloody gorgeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Basq wrote: »
    The end-credit scene leaked yesterday so curiosity got the better of me and watched it..

Howard The Duck was just a little bit random and strange, but not nearly as strange as the sex scene he had with Lea Thompson in the movie from the 80's!

it's funny but I was just thinking about him for some reason before I saw the movie :confused::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Even with Primer!

ah here! once is enough to melt your brain, I had to wiki it after to make any kind of sense of it
    still an excellent science film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I do. I see upwards of 5 films a day when JDIFF is on but they tend to be, you know, different movies! :P

Anyway I'm glad you enjoyed this way more than I did.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I quite enjoyed this as well. It was a lot funnier than I thought it would be. It would have been a disaster if the humor didn't work though.

I'd have to echo that Drax did feel a bit underused. I'm glad Dave Bautista got a film role though. I'd have preferred it if they didn't stick in the
    sister fight
    scene. It added absolutely nothing to the film.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Thoughts ahead:

The one thing I'll say for Dave is that Drax was dumbed down big time. He made the most of it though and grew into it as the film went on.

Pace I feel has possibly played the first actual intimidating Marvel villain so fair play to him.

Groot and Quill stole the show, I'd be curious to know if Diesel was just a voice or did motion capture.

Michael Rooker gave me the lols as basically a blue coloured Merle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Won't lie never read the comics or had no knowledge of Guuardians of the Galaxy before going to see this.

But absolutely loved it ticked all the boxes for a box office film imo. Brilliant action sequences, some good humour and more than one occasion it pulled on the heart strings making you feel for the characters.

Box office film of the year for me so far.

One of the few films I would happily watch again and will certainly be buying once it comes out on Blu Ray for a re watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Best Marvel movie to date. Funny, touching and kick ass all at the same time.

Chris Pratt is a star in the making, Peter Quill is a mix of Harrison Ford Han Solo with Robert Downey JR's Tony Stark but with more heart. Rocket is going to be the franchise most quotable hero soon enough, Bradley Cooper actually brings a lot of fun but tenderness to the role
    We are Groot scene is a perfect example
    and the chemistry between Rocket and Quill is one of the biggest reasons the film is awesome. Batista ( I was really surprised at how great he is as Drax, but his last heel run in WWE in 2010 was epic) and Saldana are fun to in their respective roles. Lee Pace as Ronan is one of the best villains in the Marvel series, Gillian is probably the weakest in the cast for me. Del Toro, Rooker, C Reilly and Close add a bit of weight and fun to the cast.

So many scenes are brilliant
    The opening scene rivals Raiders of the Lost Ark for Fun but adds in a few dances moves, the fun battle between the Guardians in the city then in Jail are a lot of fun. anything between Rocket and the rest, The final battle and The ending scene when Quill opens up the present his mum left him before she died some great acting from Pratt
    . Plus a soundtrack with Bowie, 10cc, Gaye and the Jackson 5 is another piece of greatness to this film. The sequel (which have no doubt will happen) has a hard job following this up as does the other Marvel films to follow. But James Gunn should be slapped on the back for producing a blockbuster of real quality especially considering these characters aren't the most well known in the Marvel universe. Avengers 2 is going to have to pull some greatness out of the bag to top this.

Also
    Howard the Duck just awesome

I'd go see this again just for the scene with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Simply awesome, massive fan of comic book movies since the first blade but that has to be one of my favourites

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Colourful, lively and enjoyable nonsense. It's not the next great hope for comic book movies, but it certainly has an energy and enthusiasm about it that has been lacking in most of Marvel's recent fare. It's happy to embrace the absurdity of the premise and play around with it. That said absurdity means the attempts at seriousness don't always work as cohesively as intended, but there's a few surprising character moments scattered throughout.

The provocative streak of Gunn's previous work is certainly missed - would have been interesting to see what he might have done with a lower budget and higher age rating. Super remains his magnum opus in the genre by some distance, although you can sense his fondness of material and glee here more than with any of the other recent Marvel directors - even more than Whedon.

Impressed by the depth and performances by most of the mains, although as is Marvel way it felt like the sole female hero received the least amount of character and attention - a bland presence compared to the better defined males. It's not necessarily Saldana's fault, but definitely lacking the character of the others. Supporting characters, on the other hand... Let's just say Benicio del Toro and Glenn Close could have not shown up for work and their presence would barely be missed!

The biggest problem with the film is that it's restricted by the convoluted, Z-grade fantasy hokum that is Marvel lore. Honestly, anything involving the bad guys was pretty painful to watch, po-faced crap with no sense of menace or threat. The whole film is silly, but knows it - the villainous sequences stick out like a sore thumb in comparison. It's an incredibly limp introduction of villains meant to be among the greatest threats in the Marvel Universe, and the film cries out for a truly charismatic and offbeat antagonist to face off against the band of merry misfits. It would be great if the story had of been allowed fly almost completely solo rather than setting up more franchise shenanigans.

It also inevitably falls victim to the curse of the Marvel (and, to be fair, Hollywood in general these days) third act, with an anonymous, overlong 'city in peril' action climax that overdoses on cliche and CGI. For something meant to be exciting, it's merely dull. Same goes for an earlier dogfight. Kudos are due, however, for the inventive centrepiece 'prison escape' sequence, which largely keeps the action to one room and escalates the chaos in a variety of playful and visually vibrant ways.

There's a surprisingly beautiful scene near the end involving a
    room of fireflies
    . It's something I for one like to see Marvel explore more in the future - genuine awe rather than shock and awe. When you look back at films like the original Superman and even the first Spider-Man movie, there's a classic romantic spectacle present that's more or less completely lacking in the more modern, 'hip' offerings. Definitely would love to see more sequences or indeed films of that sort in the future, as the relentless sass and 'awesome' can only go so far. This is probably the finest Marvel sugar rush to date, but creatively a temporary downtime is looking like what's really needed.

^ Definitely agree that the third act shoot em up sequence is just tired at this point, hell even let it play out earlier in the film and let the climax centre on drama rather than things exploding if they do feel the need to have a massive battle in there. BUT, I thought GOTG redeemed itself with that moment between Quill and Ronan, that was one of the highlights of the movie for me.

When Guardians is at it's smallest scale is when it worked the best for me, Quill joyfully exploring a temple, the bickering between the reluctant team, the surprisingly emotional opening scene, Groot just being awesome throughout it had more emotional and dramatic weight than all the exploding ships and cities on fire.

It's also a bloody gorgeous film at times.

I'm going to spoiler this as it's speculation on a big plot point.

Where we meant to take it that Yondu is Quill's father in this universe? It would explain Yondu's apparent softness towards him (referred to by his own crew) and his apparent lack of anger at the end after being swindled by Peter i.e. That's my boy, swindle me without making me lose face in front of my crew.

The biggest hint though was Peter's mother referring to his father as an angel, only for Yondu to also refer to himself as an angel near the end.

Yondu could have hooked up with Quill's mother and knew that she was dying, and this is why he came for Peter. But he couldn't admit to fathering a child with a human as it would never be accepted, so he made up some cock and bull story about being hired to kidnap him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I'm going to spoiler this as it's speculation on a big plot point.

Where we meant to take it that Yondu is Quill's father in this universe? It would explain Yondu's apparent softness towards him (referred to by his own crew) and his apparent lack of anger at the end after being swindled by Peter i.e. That's my boy, swindle me without making me lose face in front of my crew.

The biggest hint though was Peter's mother referring to his father as an angel, only for Yondu to also refer to himself as an angel near the end.

Yondu could have hooked up with Quill's mother and knew that she was dying, and this is why he came for Peter. But he couldn't admit to fathering a child with a human as it would never be accepted, so he made up some cock and bull story about being hired to kidnap him.

^^No, Quills father is a different, more important character, not seen in the film at all.

I know that Quill's father is a specific person in the comics. Maybe I'm just reading too much into things.

• Advertisement

Also, Yondu says that Quills father is an asshole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Soft Falling Rain, the audio was very 'busy' during a reveal.. I barely caught it.
    The point where Yondu says to a sidekick, on the dock ramp of a flying ship, about not having delivered Quill to his father as they were payed to, or something to that effect.

I liked the film for what it was, style-wise, I got a hint of the Green Lantern (am I allowed to mention that film!? :pac:)

Rocket was amazingly well done, you don't question his presence, physically, from a CGI point of view..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

That's one thing is like to back up.

The animation of rocket was spectacular at times in its subtlety. You just don't question he's there.

The scene near the end - Wordless at that - of him being consoled by drax is just gorgeously tender .

Major kudos on that front as a less well done job would've killed a lot of his heart in the film . Really well dome to the animators .

Also, Yondu says that Quills father is an asshole.

He wouldn't be the first person to, with tongue in cheek, refer to himself as an asshole. ;)

Look at it this way; what possible reason would Yondu have for not handing Peter over to his father? To not collect the bounty? To bring up a child he has no ties to? And most of all, why didn't Quill's father chase Yondu throughout the galaxy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

He wouldn't be the first person to, with tongue in cheek, refer to himself as an asshole. ;)

Look at it this way; what possible reason would Yondu have for not handing Peter over to his father? To not collect the bounty? To bring up a child he has no ties to? And most of all, why didn't Quill's father chase Yondu throughout the galaxy?

Cause Starlord's father is an asshole.

Reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally not sure what's so hard to grasp about Yondu not being Quill's father, especially given that he is never hinted as being Quill's father and has a conversation about Quill's father. Peter Quill's father is
    J'Son, the King of Spartax,
    not Yondu.

Looks like Pratt wasn't the only one who got in shape for this :pac:

aViUayU.png

Reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally not sure what's so hard to grasp about Yondu not being Quill's father, especially given that he is never hinted as being Quill's father and has a conversation about Quill's father. Peter Quill's father is
    J'Son, the King of Spartax,
    not Yondu.

I already said I'm aware of the comic books, I know who his father is in them. Let's not pretend though that Marvel Studios don't change things i.e. The Mandarin and Pym not being Ultron's creator.

You say Yondu being Quill's father is never hinted at but I think both his mother referring to Quill's father and Yondu referring to himself as an angel is pretty heavy handed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Just got back from seeing this, so I can finally open this thread now :) Loved it!
    I tried my best to avoid trailers and speculation about this movie before watching it, I had no idea that the story was going to centre around one of the infinity gems. The infinity gauntlet is one of my all time favorite comic books, so I was delighted when they revealed the contents of the orb. I had no idea we were going to see Thanos, or hear him speak either. I'm not convinced of the voice actor they chose, maybe its just me.

The humour and soundtrack kept the casuals happy I think, and the rest of the movie was just a big comic book orgasm :D I was sure we would be sitting through at least 45 minutes of an origin story for Peter. Nope! Straight into the action, revel all characters immediately, I love that they did that. So much could have gone wrong with this movie, its unbelievable that it even got a green light in the first place let alone it actually turn out so well.

As for the argument about Yandu being Peters father, don't you think Peter would be a little, eh, blue? If that was the case?

I presume we will get an Empire strikes back type reveal in the sequel regarding the father.

Just got back from seeing this, so I can finally open this thread now :) Loved it!
    I tried my best to avoid trailers and speculation about this movie before watching it, I had no idea that the story was going to centre around one of the infinity gems. The infinity gauntlet is one of my all time favorite comic books, so I was delighted when they revealed the contents of the orb. I had no idea we were going to see Thanos, or hear him speak either. I'm not convinced of the voice actor they chose, maybe its just me.

It's Josh Brolin

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    It's Josh Brolin

That.... does not mean anything to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

That.... does not mean anything to me.

:eek: your in the wrong place so ;):P.

:eek: your in the wrong place so ;):P.

I had to google him (sorry, never heard of him) Seems like an accomplished actor, no argument there. That still doesn't mean he's right for the part though. Or is it just me? Really, its a minor gripe in a movie I'm otherwise very pleased with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Excellent movie but not better than the avengers, characters were much better but on screen comic book violence was a bit of a letdown.

Soundtrack was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Looper007 wrote: »
    Best Marvel movie to date. Funny, touching and kick ass all at the same time.

The sequel (which have no doubt will happen) has a hard job following this up as does the other Marvel films to follow. But James Gunn should be slapped on the back for producing a blockbuster of real quality especially considering these characters aren't the most well known in the Marvel universe. Avengers 2 is going to have to pull some greatness out of the bag to top this.

Sequel has been confirmed for 2017 (I think) with Gunn writing and directing. I have high hopes as it will allow to story to flow and not get bogged down in exposition and introduction of characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Realyl, really enjoyed this film. It would appear to be the general consensus at the office this morning as well.

Groot easily steals the show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Does anyone know if there is an official playlist for the Awesome Mix?

Secondly, aside from the brief glance at the Tesserect was there anything else that placed this movie or characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe? End credits in the other movies for example?

flazio wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is an official playlist for the Awesome Mix?

Secondly, aside from the brief glance at the Tesserect was there anything else that placed this movie or characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe? End credits in the other movies for example?

There is, its on iTunes right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

Thanos who was also in the post credit scene from The Avengers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

3wayswitch wrote: »
    Thanos who was also in the post credit scene from The Avengers.

The Collector also appears in the post-credits scene of Thor: The Dark World.

Advertisement