Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013 Recruitment!

1112113114115116118»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 KissMyAxe

I heard on Friday evening from someone who is close to the recruitment process that the first 100 posts are going to be stationed in the West/North West - Londonderry (Strand Rd & Waterside), Strabane and Omagh and then the second intake are going to be used to boost boots on the ground in North and West Belfast.

So first intake to the West and then the second to Belfast area. I wonder if there is any correlation between this and AC appointment dates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Clare1304

I also heard this. However I'm northwest and have my ac in early feb so even if I'm successful can't see me being in the first intake by the time they go through vetting etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Yes but surely this will mean that a new ist will be conducted.
    Rather than picking the 'next in line' from this ist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Unfortunately for those that missed out on this IST I do think soalpy is right. If they get the go ahead to bring in more then they will more than likely use what they can out if this batch.

I imagine the whole process from start to AC is very costly. If this batch doesn't produce the right stuff they might lower the IST pass mark to get another load of potential recruits.

I wonder how much the campaign costs from the start until Deloitte hand over to the PSNI. In other words how much do they pay Deloitte? There's bound to be an FOI out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 KissMyAxe

Was talking to a serving officer last night and apparently the talk is of the thousands and thousands of days which officers were unable to take (so therefore still owed) and that Baggot is using this as a major bargaining tool with the powers that be when making the point of how overstretched the force is and the need for extra boots on the ground.

• Advertisement

How much of Garnerville is residential?

I was told that is considerably less than previous years hence the Online Learning element.

Will it be like Open University? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Clare1304

4 weeks :)

Clare1304 wrote: »
    4 weeks :)

Thanks Clare :)

Is this the same as previous years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Bob Law

Villiers telling Parliment that NI needs 168 more officers and funding being opened and extended. Be good to see a full report later.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Bob Law wrote: »
    Villiers telling Parliment that NI needs 168 more officers and funding being opened and extended. Be good to see a full report later.

Another recruitment campaign later this year would be great... Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Sapphire101

Ok, I'm new here and I'm sure this has been covered a fair few times, so apologies if this is on the wrong place! but basically, i waited months for this recruitment to start, didn't have the ict so tried to do it through a college, however they didn't listen to my needs at all. I'm almost finished it now as decided to take my time because I was told before starting it I'd be able to finish and have my ESs skills cert by cut off date. Then was told I wouldn't have it till June. Panicking at that stage I paid for the online ECDL with <mod snip> where it stated it was accepted by psni. I've basically found out about them not accepting online courses etc. Has anyone had any experience handing over the <mod snip> Certs? Needless to say I am absolutely gutted, my heart literally hit the floor when I read about it so if anyone has any good news or has ANY way of getting approval or anything with correct dates I'd greatly appriciate it! My AC is at the end of this month.

Ok, I'm new here and I'm sure this has been covered a fair few times, so apologies if this is on the wrong place! but basically, i waited months for this recruitment to start, didn't have the ict so tried to do it through a college, however they didn't listen to my needs at all. I'm almost finished it now as decided to take my time because I was told before starting it I'd be able to finish and have my ESs skills cert by cut off date. Then was told I wouldn't have it till June. Panicking at that stage I paid for the online ECDL with <mod snip> where it stated it was accepted by psni. I've basically found out about them not accepting online courses etc. Has anyone had any experience handing over the <mod snip> Certs? Needless to say I am absolutely gutted, my heart literally hit the floor when I read about it so if anyone has any good news or has ANY way of getting approval or anything with correct dates I'd greatly appriciate it! My AC is at the end of this month.

It's unacceptable, I done exactly the same. Scroll to top of this thread, click on PSNI recruitment and it'll bring a list of threads up, check out acceptable/unacceptable ICT qualifications. We're not the only ones missing out this recruitment because of the unacceptable ICT certs...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭J.0

Unfortunately Sapphire, it's not going to be good news. Unless you have the official cert already, it's too late and the exam board will not change the dates for you as it would be unethical.

Don't take it too badly though, use the time you have now to get that tick in the box before the next recruitment and brush up on any other training you may need.

Personally I'd email Deloitte explaining your situation and that you will not be able to attend the AC because of it. Saves the heartache on the day and should they need to rethink the cert, or adjust the dates, at least you will be on their radar for the right reasons - doing as they asked in their email.

Just my 2 cents.

J.

J.0 wrote: »
    Unfortunately Sapphire, it's not going to be good news. Unless you have the official cert already, it's too late and the exam board will not change the dates for you as it would be unethical.

Don't take it too badly though, use the time you have now to get that tick in the box before the next recruitment and brush up on any other training you may need.

Personally I'd email Deloitte explaining your situation and that you will not be able to attend the AC because of it. Saves the heartache on the day and should they need to rethink the cert, or adjust the dates, at least you will be on their radar for the right reasons - doing as they asked in their email.

Just my 2 cents.

J.

Thanks for your help J. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and send them the email. Absolutely gutted. At least I didn't find out on the day of my AC and be turned away I suppose!

J.0 wrote: »

Just my 2 cents.

J.

As J says, I'd recommend the above too. I emailed, explained the situation, sent screen shots of the website etc. They advised to withdraw. It's better than being turned away on day. I was devastated but looking at silver lining, I have longer to prepare, I will get in sooner or later, nothing worth having comes easy. Email Deloitte, chin up, work for the next time.

.S. wrote: »
    As J says, I'd recommend the above too. I emailed, explained the situation, sent screen shots of the website etc. They advised to withdraw. It's better than being turned away on day. I was devastated but looking at silver lining, I have longer to prepare, I will get in sooner or later, nothing worth having comes easy. Email Deloitte, chin up, work for the next time.

Thanks so much, I wish I had your mindset on it all right now, I'm still in shock, but it's true, nothing worth having is ever easy, and the setbacks we have encountered only make us more determined to succeed when our time comes! Im so determined that I will get in sooner or later, it's obviously just not my time right now. Thanks again for the little boost! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Toyota 1976

same here saphiere 101 new on this site, i has applied and gor reply... great had to change dates as i was going on holidays, no problems chnaged dates abd then i saw what you needed for ECDL??? i said what why, it was nver on it before as i haunted this website and this site to keep up with what was goiing on then heard about things like off qual i ive in the south, off qual?? Fetac, so i have had to put it off, as this caught ,me it has caught a few people, seen it , recurtiment people than the , psni, all i can do id do one here make sure it is recongised here Fetac, hetac, qqi is the new buzz word but they are still changing it long story, if it is fetac accredited then see if off qual NI people for qqi which was fetac, but cant speak for psni or deloite it was some cruve ball....

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Tim89

^^ I think it's trying to communicate ? ^^

they say there is meant ??? to be a recruitment drive in sometime 2014 what i have heard is there is meant to be two recurtiments in one finincal year , best of luck for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Take water between your pints Toyota ! :P

• Advertisement

Take water between your pints Toyota ! :P

Whats the craic big lad

they say there is meant ??? to be a recruitment drive in sometime 2014 what i have heard is there is meant to be two recurtiments in one finincal year , best of luck for it

I also heard two recruitment drives.. Time will tell!

Tim89 wrote: »
    Whats the craic big lad

Just the one i sit on, what about yourself matey???????????????????????????????????????

What ways the pressure situation now? :cool:

Just the one i sit on, what about yourself matey???????????????????????????????????????

What ways the pressure situation now? :cool:

Not too bad mate, Hard to make sense of the booklet when I'm work so I'm taking a break and gonna get me head stuck into it over weekend, big days next week!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

same here saphiere 101 new on this site, i has applied and gor reply... great had to change dates as i was going on holidays, no problems chnaged dates abd then i saw what you needed for ECDL??? i said what why, it was nver on it before as i haunted this website and this site to keep up with what was goiing on then heard about things like off qual i ive in the south, off qual?? Fetac, so i have had to put it off, as this caught ,me it has caught a few people, seen it , recurtiment people than the , psni, all i can do id do one here make sure it is recongised here Fetac, hetac, qqi is the new buzz word but they are still changing it long story, if it is fetac accredited then see if off qual NI people for qqi which was fetac, but cant speak for psni or deloite it was some cruve ball....

Moderator post: Did you know you have up to 48 hours to correct any spelling, punctuation or grammatical mistakes you may have made in your post? Simply click the "Edit" button, make whatever changes you want, and then just click "Save"

Since this is a courtesy reminder of a boards.ie feature from the forum moderator, no reply or comment is required.

-Shield

Not too bad mate, Hard to make sense of the booklet when I'm work so I'm taking a break and gonna get me head stuck into it over weekend, big days next week!!!

Give me a shout if you've any Q's !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭JtmC

Quick update regarding Villiers and funding.

[url]Http://m.londonderrysentinel.co.uk/news/local-news/just-30m-committed-to-psni-to-tackle-national-security-threat-1-5812781[/url]

£30 million provided in funding, in discussion for more by 2015/16.

does anyone know does the pitmann training for the ecdl work for psni, or is it off qual who would award it or if it is awared does off qual say it is valid ? got caught out on last recuritment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭picture987

does anyone know does the pitmann training for the ecdl work for psni, or is it off qual who would award it or if it is awared does off qual say it is valid ? got caught out on last recuritment

Pitmann training is what it says on the tin.....training. You need to sit an ECDL exam in an accredited test centre upon completion of the training.

This is a direct quote from their website

"Once your training is complete, you will be in a position to sit the ECDL tests and gain the widely recognised ECDL qualifications."

• Advertisement

Hi Toyota,

From what I can see on the Pitman website, they only offer 'training' and are NOT a registered testing centre for BCS so can't offer the official certification. This applies to Northern Ireland.

I haven't checked out their testing centres in the Republic though, so can't speak of ICS registration (on my phone at the moment so I may update later).

Ofqual don't award the ECDL. It's the ECDL Foundation who do that. The UK provider is the British Computer Society, for the Republic it's the Irish Computer Society.

J.

Edit: So to answer your question, if you did the ECDL online or at a Pitman training Center in the UK, then unfortunately it's not valid for the PSNI.

Sound J.O i was psuhing the subject with Pittmann them but thet were been avoidant on it, as off qual for ni not sure for England and prob Scotland is a bit different again, so need to work around it another way? what do you think yourself new on this boards site but great for lots of things, have a good back ground on cars and engines so it is great for ideas :)

Sound J.O i was psuhing the subject with Pittmann them but thet were been avoidant on it, as off qual for ni not sure for England and prob Scotland is a bit different again, so need to work around it another way? what do you think yourself new on this boards site but great for lots of things, have a good back ground on cars and engines so it is great for ideas :)

Unfortunately there's no way around it. Unless you have one of the ICT/IT quals they're asking for this recruitment drive AND it predates 2nd December 2013, you'll have to prepare to give this one a miss.

Use the time wisely though and get set for the next recruitment. If you're not great with basic IT, the Pitman training should at least be helpful in preparing you for the real exam. Have a look for the best price though, as there are many other centres/training organisations out there too.

Aye, it's a great site. Lots of info on pretty much everything, but let's stick on topic before a moderator wraps our knuckles lol :)

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Bob Law

There's still a good bit of guessing about merit lists. Was reviewing the PSNI site for info and seen this (apologies if it's been posted before).

http://www.psni.police.uk/general__psni_recruiting_figures

· Those who meet the required standard are placed on a merit list, and this list is then passed to the PSNI. At this stage there are five further stages to be looked at: medical; vetting; physical competency assessment; substance misuse testing; and online learning.

· Those who successfully complete these stages are invited to an induction weekend. They are placed on a merit list which is to last until March 2015. Candidates will be processed in waves according to the number being recruited each time.

I can't see there being another recruitment drive this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭CDizzle

What booklet? Has there been any preparation documents sent out apart from the e-mail for the assessment centre and the guidance for applicants?

CDizzle wrote: »
    What booklet? Has there been any preparation documents sent out apart from the e-mail for the assessment centre and the guidance for applicants?

Nope ! Don't worry !

• Advertisement

ict/ IT qualifs is that in NI or south, jo ?

ict/ IT qualifs is that in NI or south, jo ?

NI/UK - needs to be accredited and awarded by BCS

ROI - needs to be accredited and awarded by ICS

Dated on or before 02/12/13

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭MissWillow12

Anyone seen this? http://www.psni.police.uk/index/careers/ics_recruit.htm They really love the IT at the min lol

yes miss willow the love the ict skills, caught out a lot of people the last time

Advertisement