Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got a grant pack sent out to them yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Scioch wrote: »
    But next Thursday is registration day and I have to have at the bare minimum proof of eligibility dont I ? Otherwise I have to pay the fees myself and then get reimbursed later in the year.

How much cash will I need if I dont have proof that I'm eligible for the grant to cover the fess ?

Student contribution is €2250 and the college will add in its own student registration charge which varies hugely across the colleges. It can be anything from €70 to €300+ depending on the college.

You can do up your own rough calculation as to whether or not you will get the grant.

Check the income limits, look at your total income, P60, P45, P21, DSP cert, wages, assets etc. Disregard those portions as per the income disregards on the student finance website and this gives you your reckonable income. Then look at the limits and see which applies. Its fiddly but not hard and all the info to do it is readily available.

If by your calculations you are within the limits for the grant you can tell the college that you cant pay the Student Contribution. The college may not register you fully and you probably wont get your Student Card until they receive the money but it shouldn't stop you attending lectures.

Btw you will be liable for the college registration charge. To my knowledge that aspect is your responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

I'll be posting my forms back tomorrow but I'm wondering...

Did anyone get the letter they mention to confirm attendance of past courses, or did you just send a photocopy of the award you got?

I'm just going to send photocopies of my two Fetac awards as I think they're proof enough I was there
    Plus, Fás phoned me the first time, and sent a text the second time to confirm I had a place on the course

The one I didn't complete was a PLC course I started 6 years ago but never officially dropped out
    I got a job and stopped showing up as I was pissed off with the place
    so all I have from them is a 'statement of results' where it's a mix of withdrawn or unsuccessful as I wasn't there to be graded

I got this as well, have just finished a two year VTOS course. I just went up to the college and got them to write out a letter stating that I was an attendee plus I sent off my certs.

For the free fees portion I was asked to get a letter from my previous college (not the VTOS course) stating the amount of the grant that I received. I was in college for three years back in 96' to 99'. They asked me for this info at the start of the month and was separate to the grant afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 celticlunatic

Posted all documentation yesterday via express post. I only sent in photocopies of my awards (transcripts of results) and rang SUSI about the letter from the college confirming attendance. The girl said that the awards would suffice and i didnt need a letter from each college so hopefully that all goes smoothly! As for the wait I feel I'm in the same boat as most of you. registration date is 20th Sept. at NUIM but the admissions office said whilst I would not be fully registered without the grant letter from SUSI I could attend lectures etc but would not receive student card or have access to library books.
    its everything depending on everything else. I cant register without grant letter, i cant get BTEA without registration letter and I cant afford to go to college without BTEA!
    I am confident though that things will all work out. Lots of people in similar situations and all 3 of these organisations will have to work in unison or it will be a massive failure....
    Good luck to all, and keep us posted on any letters that come in with grant approval.

(online application - 11th July, received grant pack on 24th August, posted documents 27th August)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

So today I got yet another request for documentation from SUSI. Stuff they could and should have asked for way back. Such as copy of Passport. The worrying thing is some of the documentation they already had. So phoned up and after a while got a supervisor. Who was at least very helpful - went through my application and agreed with me that they had everything they needed other than the passport which they really should have asked for before.:rolleyes:

So they are under pressure... But I start on Monday! As for BTEA still waiting on that... and online reg is buggered as well.

Still patience is a virtue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

um quick question, i rang susi again today to see when my grant pack was sent out to me, they said the 15th of august, should it take that long for the grant pack to come to me? like 8-9 days in the post??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

um quick question, i rang susi again today to see when my grant pack was sent out to me, they said the 15th of august, should it take that long for the grant pack to come to me? like 8-9 days in the post??

I shouldn't think it would take that long. :confused:
    What did SUSI say when you told them you hadn't received it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Steevy

Make sure that the address you registered online is 100% correct as it may have a impact on your application. I arguably dont think it should take that long to arrive

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Steevy wrote: »
    Make sure that the address you registered online is 100% correct as it may have a impact on your application. I arguably dont think it should take that long to arrive

well i rang em and they said they sent out a pack on the 15th to my address and told em i didnt get it, he said he'd send another one out to me and i re stated my address and they're was one part thats not really necessary to give but i gave it anyway just to be sure this time, and he told me to send an email to the support.susi email address so waiting for a responce from them, what a frustrating thing to be so close to getting the pack and the fecking thing doesnt come because of a small little line on my address that other letters have no problem adhereing to but the grant pack doesnt come to it. arrrrrgh!

well i rang em and they said they sent out a pack on the 15th to my address and told em i didnt get it, he said he'd send another one out to me and i re stated my address and they're was one part thats not really necessary to give but i gave it anyway just to be sure this time, and he told me to send an email to the support.susi email address so waiting for a responce from them, what a frustrating thing to be so close to getting the pack and the fecking thing doesnt come because of a small little line on my address that other letters have no problem adhereing to but the grant pack doesnt come to it. arrrrrgh!

Kool. Also go online and change your address there, it is very easy to do so!.
    Make sure you leave nothing out! Also send them the email and that should be Ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bk2busymum24

Thanks! I should be eligible, first time in 3rd level, starting a level 8 in TCD, just completed an access programme last year (no fees involved). I am a lone parent since separating in 2009 and have no other income. I'm just totally overwhelmed at the moment between all this grant/registration stuff and personal debts along with blooming incorrect charges from Eflow that is still unresolved. Cannot afford to stay in my home since change to rent caps but cannot find any accomodation within the specified limits anywhere near school my dd is starting JI in on Thurs (am willing to take 1 bed). Everything is getting on top of me, lost my phone today had put credit in it to make some phonecalls on Monday to get all the paperwork together. Very stressed, I'm sure you're all juggling your own craziness too :/

Sorry for off loading here...we'll all be in better situation a few years down the road hey :o
    Similar situation, separated with 4 young kids. The uncertainty of grant is driving me crazy. Did a level 6 fetac last year & got 9 distinctions so I know I can do it academically but waiting for grant is not possible with costs involved. Feeling like this is not going to happen :-(((

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bk2busymum24

So, basically, nobody has had definite approval yet ???????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Im terrified, awaited my confirmation from my college (received today) before applying to SUSI. turns out i could have applied months ago......oh joy gonna be a long year waiting for it i fear

Im terrified, awaited my confirmation from my college (received today) before applying to SUSI. turns out i could have applied months ago......oh joy gonna be a long year waiting for it i fear

Weren't you living in this country to know you should have applied months ago? Or why you not simply looking forward to or making good effort to going to college?

It was allover the news, newspapers, internet, everywhere to apply earlier b4 you get a college confirmation!

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Kool. Also go online and change your address there, it is very easy to do so!.
    Make sure you leave nothing out! Also send them the email and that should be Ok

Feckin thing came in the post today :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Monkey Sampan

PlainP wrote: »
    I got this as well, have just finished a two year VTOS course. I just went up to the college and got them to write out a letter stating that I was an attendee plus I sent off my certs.

Safer alright than to leave it out and hope for the best as I'd planned,
    I went out for a letter from Fás, and had them stamp a photo copy of my 2 FETAC awards while I was there

Waiting now on the PLC college to check my attendance before they will write a letter for me

For the free fees portion I was asked to get a letter from my previous college (not the VTOS course) stating the amount of the grant that I received.
    I was in college for three years back in 96' to 99'. They asked me for this info at the start of the month and was separate to the grant afaik.
    That's interesting, I wonder if they'll drag up the one I received part of for that PLC course I didn't complete

Cork VEC back in 06' were a mess. A grant I applied for in July 06' only started to be paid in Jan 07'
    and they withheld the rest of the money from 1st year unless I confirmed I was returning for a 2nd year which I wasn't

Feckin thing came in the post today :pac:

Good for ya, organise all the documents needed and submit them ASAP!.. Tomorrow is technically the last day of application, and it will get over complicated afterwards if you miss submitting your documents on time. Hurry and send them Via Express-Post!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭paul9mm

Just arrived, huge relief. :)
    Has info on the Tuesday 11th Sept registration (basically, it's a 3-day schedule, Tuesday: assigned to a registration group with a 90-min time slot, Wed: walking tour of campus).
    Does say that unless have SUSI letter, you pay registration fee. However, seems that the conditional acceptance letter from SUSI is acceptable as a stop-gap.
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Austypausty

Yea I'm sorry but ya made a bad move there mate, they've been saying until they're blue in the face 'don't wait until you get confirmation you've been accepted on a course before applying', still, hope everything works out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Just got a letter today saying I have been turned down for the grant because I have a level 8 degree....well thats news to me:confused: I did start a level 8 course in DBS but I never finished it, so now I have to pleasure of appealing and god knows how long that will take considering its taken from June 19th on till today to get a response from them, I know also have to try and contact the college to try and sort out a payment plan for the the student contribution.

Im so annoyed and upset over this its unreal if the college wont accept a payment plan I cant register and my job is dependent on me start this course, If I dont start it my boss dosent know how much longer he can justify my position to his accountant:(

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

Just got a letter today saying I have been turned down for the grant because I have a level 8 degree....well thats news to me:confused: I did start a level 8 course in DBS but I never finished it, so now I have to pleasure of appealing and god knows how long that will take considering its taken from June 19th on till today to get a response from them, I know also have to try and contact the college to try and sort out a payment plan for the the student contribution.

Im so annoyed and upset over this its unreal if the college wont accept a payment plan I cant register and my job is dependent on me start this course, If I dont start it my boss dosent know how much longer he can justify my position to his accountant:(

Im in more or less the same boat, i sent off my appeal yesterday. I've been told the HAVE to let you know their decision within 30days of receiving the appeal. Then if you don't win that you can appeal direct to dept. of education.

But i've been told by a good few people that the people now over making the grant are learning on the job and a few mistakes have been made.

I'm sure if you call up your college explain what happened and your situation they'll be able to advise you on the chances of getting the appeal, and then come up with a payment plan for you. Mine said I could split it over as many payments as I needed, once final payment was received by end of January.

Then if/when you win the appeal you'll be refunded what you have so far paid.

Fingers crossed for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

ditzyfairy wrote: »
    Im in more or less the same boat, i sent off my appeal yesterday. I've been told the HAVE to let you know their decision within 30days of receiving the appeal. Then if you don't win that you can appeal direct to dept. of education.

But i've been told by a good few people that the people now over making the grant are learning on the job and a few mistakes have been made.

I'm sure if you call up your college explain what happened and your situation they'll be able to advise you on the chances of getting the appeal, and then come up with a payment plan for you. Mine said I could split it over as many payments as I needed, once final payment was received by end of January.

Then if/when you win the appeal you'll be refunded what you have so far paid.

Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks Ditzy, will keep my fingers crossed for you too, I asked the girl I was speaking to how long it would take and her answer was I dont know there is a back log as it is:rolleyes:

To be honest, if you have been in a level 8 course b4 whether receiving grant at that time or not, you re likely to be unsuccessful after your appeal. Sry for the bad news but it is true. The information is everywhere. They can never grant your appeal, you have to wait for 5 years after the first level 8 you've been in order to qualify as a SECOND CHANCE student.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scoob70

Delete - found the answer

scoob70 wrote: »
    Delete - found the answer

hey scoob didcha get the grant pack at last aswell :)

hey scoob didcha get the grant pack at last aswell :)

Hey Badger :) guess I was one of the lucky ones. I got my grant pack weeks ago and returned my docs just over 2 weeks ago. Don't think anyones had a final letter yet though. You any idea what's planned for 1st years next week? There wasn't much in the registration pack was there.

Final Letter of Approval from SUSI will be received Mid-Sept until next year if necessary

scoob70 wrote: »
    Hey Badger :) guess I was one of the lucky ones. I got my grant pack weeks ago and returned my docs just over 2 weeks ago. Don't think anyones had a final letter yet though. You any idea what's planned for 1st years next week? There wasn't much in the registration pack was there.

im delighted that we're almost there so :D Havent a clue whats planned for 1st years next week, im in on monday at 2 o clock , i presumed it was just in and out registration and you'd meet the lecturers maybe and get a timetable i really dont know tho. hope all goes well for us anyway scoob, heres to the year ahead :D:D:D

heres to the year ahead biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Absolutely biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Finally got my grant pack!!!

Applied: 18th June
    Grant Pack Received: 31 August

I am deemed to be eligible! Didn't think I would be. Just hoping that everything checks out okay! :D

It will be such a help to have it! I'm over the moon! Fingers and toes crossed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

applied on : 8th july

received grant pack : 24th august

sent everything off on the 29th august registered post

i checked the tracking id and it was sent to their cork office ?

do susi have a grant office in cark?

Advertisement