Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got a grant pack sent out to them yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 feng10

Applied online the day it went live, got the pack requesting documents on the 2nd August, I sent everything off they wanted on the list. I have since received another letter from them on the 28th August requesting documents I have already sent. I spent 20-25 minutes on the phone to SUSI helpdesk trying to explain the situation.
    Apparently the social welfare statement that I had sent was not good enough as I was on VTOS and this does not show on the live register, this was despite me sending them letters and official statements from VTOS on my earnings and how long I was on the course.
    I now have to get another social welfare statement, and also write a cover letter to explain what all the official documents I sent to them mean in order to keep my application open:mad: even though they are as clear as day.
    To make it worse the dole are now refusing to stamp the statement, despite doing it first time no problem:mad: Really annoyed by all this as it just adds to the delay and the stress!!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

go up to the social again

get a different person , they will stamp it ,

they refused to do it for me initally and told me that they only give out one statement - their own statement

but i got another sw officer the next time and she kindly filled out the susi form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

feng10 wrote: »
    Applied online the day it went live, got the pack requesting documents on the 2nd August, I sent everything off they wanted on the list. I have since received another letter from them on the 28th August requesting documents I have already sent. I spent 20-25 minutes on the phone to SUSI helpdesk trying to explain the situation.
    Apparently the social welfare statement that I had sent was not good enough as I was on VTOS and this does not show on the live register, this was despite me sending them letters and official statements from VTOS on my earnings and how long I was on the course.
    I now have to get another social welfare statement, and also write a cover letter to explain what all the official documents I sent to them mean in order to keep my application open:mad: even though they are as clear as day.
    To make it worse the dole are now refusing to stamp the statement, despite doing it first time no problem:mad: Really annoyed by all this as it just adds to the delay and the stress!!

yeah definatly try another person at the swo, they seem to be a bit confused about all this grant stuff, i went to a elderly lady today to gte a statement for 2011 and she seemed a bit flustered about doing it for me, she said she'd post it out tho, i just hope they do it quickly for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Steevy

W86indow wrote: »
    applied on : 8th july

received grant pack : 24th august

sent everything off on the 29th august registered post

i checked the tracking id and it was sent to their cork office ?

do susi have a grant office in cark?

Yes, they normal post it to Cork Office. It seems like thats there P.O BOX address

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Steevy wrote: »
    To be honest, if you have been in a level 8 course b4 whether receiving grant at that time or not, you re likely to be unsuccessful after your appeal. Sry for the bad news but it is true. The information is everywhere. They can never grant your appeal, you have to wait for 5 years after the first level 8 you've been in order to qualify as a SECOND CHANCE student.

its 6 years since i left the last course

• Advertisement

This is what I did and it was just fine. I was also on VTOS for 2 years but my social welfare statement made it clear that I was on job seekers allowance b4 and after VTOS.

Tell the Mofos in the dole office to give you a statement from like 3 years ago. Tell will try to issue you with a current payment, but take no for an answer just like I did and ask them to give you a 3 years statement. That will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

yeah definatly try another person at the swo, they seem to be a bit confused about all this grant stuff, i went to a elderly lady today to gte a statement for 2011 and she seemed a bit flustered about doing it for me, she said she'd post it out tho, i just hope they do it quickly for me

Went in yesterday for the same and yer one said she'd pass it on and they would post it out. Arrived in post this morning, I couldnt believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

Scioch wrote: »
    Went in yesterday for the same and yer one said she'd pass it on and they would post it out. Arrived in post this morning, I couldnt believe it.

that good to hear!! i might be able to get the stuff all sent back on monday evening/ tuesday so.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9 feng10

Thanks for the replies guys,
    I hate having to deal with the social welfare in any way they are so unhelpful at my local office it's unbelievable bar one or two people.
    I had to leave the form with the woman at the hatch, I was there for literally a minute trying to explain and was told quite angrily that there were 13 people behind me in the queue (I had spent the best part of an hour waiting to be called).
    They only have the one hatch open to deal with queries and I asked to speak to somebody else but was told no and thats it.I wouldn't mind the first time I got the form flled in and stamped there and then, but it was'nt accepted by SUSI. Now it's probably gone to the bottom of the pile(on purpose) and god knows how long it will take to be filled in correctly and posted out.

Thanks for the replies guys,
    I hate having to deal with the social welfare in any way they are so unhelpful at my local office it's unbelievable bar one or two people.
    I had to leave the form with the woman at the hatch, I was there for literally a minute trying to explain and was told quite angrily that there were 13 people behind me in the queue (I had spent the best part of an hour waiting to be called).
    They only have the one hatch open to deal with queries and I asked to speak to somebody else but was told no and thats it.I wouldn't mind the first time I got the form flled in and stamped there and then, but it was'nt accepted by SUSI. Now it's probably gone to the bottom of the pile(on purpose) and god knows how long it will take to be filled in correctly and posted out.

Correction feng, its "God" not god. Very important to know :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Austypausty

Correction feng, its "God" not god. Very important to know :)

I hope to 'god' you are not being serious :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Me too.
    Steevy, nobody likes a grammar or spelling Nazi, even god. Now that's important to know.

spurious wrote: »
    Me too.
    Steevy, nobody likes a grammar or spelling Nazi, even god. Now that's important to know.

You guys are funny, but the fact of the matter is that there are so much difference btw "God" and "god".

1. God is the almighty one, the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords
    2. god is a useless thing/person/idol/satan/demon. Mostly its an idol that people worship in the name of evil.

SO be careful what you say people!;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You guys are funny, but the fact of the matter is that there are so much different btw "God" and "god".

1. God is the almighty one, the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords
    2. god is a useless thing/person/idol/satan/demon. Mostly its an idol that people worship in the name of evil.

SO be careful what you say people!;)

The point is
    NOBODY HERE CARES!!!!
    Go away with your fairy stories.

Warning issued for ignoring or challenging mod instruction.

spurious wrote: »
    The point is
    NOBODY HERE CARES!!!!
    Go away with your fairy stories.

Believing that Alien exists is the most absurdical fairy stories I've ever heard!

Believing that Alien exists is the most absurdical fairy stories I've ever heard!

OK, don't post here again. Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Has anyone actually received anything saying they definitely have the grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 chatnoir87

Hey I called them this morning as they don't respond to emails anymore- and asked if I was eligible for the special rate fee contribution as i earned under 22k last year, but apparently you have to be under 22k and on social welfare to be considered for the 6.2K fees, which is a ridiculous incentive and condition. Surely non-social welfare students should be considered for this also! Anyway not to appear ungrateful they said that I have definitely been awarded the 2k, and a member of the assessment team should be in touch in the coming days. I'm very happy but it's beans on toast for the year!

I applied June 20th, sent grant pack back July 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ralphding23

Does anybody here know whether a student from the UK who is over 23 is eligible for the student grant or not? I've looked on the student finance website but can't work out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Does anybody here know whether a student from the UK who is over 23 is eligible for the student grant or not? I've looked on the student finance website but can't work out?

Yes as long as you meet the citizenship and residency requirements and are within the income limits.

You have EU nationality I assume but you would need to have lived in Ireland for 3 out of the last 5 years before your course starts. Details of the income limts are on student finance here: http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1341494564/Schedule_1_reckonable_income_limit_2012.pdf

• Advertisement

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Yes as long as you meet the citizenship and residency requirements and are within the income limits.

You have EU nationality I assume but you would need to have lived in Ireland for 3 out of the last 5 years before your course starts. Details of the income limts are on student finance here: http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1341494564/Schedule_1_reckonable_income_limit_2012.pdf

He's lived in the UK his whole life, so where does that leave him?

Ineligible? The rules state he needs to have 3 years in Ireland. But if its a case that he's moved over permanently there might be some lee-way. Maybe speak to the Dept of Education Student support unit 057 9325317. They can tell you exactly what criteria apply in your case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭michelleling

Ineligible? The rules state he needs to have 3 years in Ireland. But if its a case that he's moved over permanently there might be some lee-way. Maybe speak to the Dept of Education Student support unit 057 9325317. They can tell you exactly what criteria apply in your case.

Hope I aint interrupting put you all are getting it wrong and I would like to lead you to the right path.

You do not have to live in Ireland for 3 out of 5 years to be eligible for a grant. You defo will be eligible and will qualify for a tuition Fee

EU Member State /the EEA/Swiss Residents
    If you have been living in another EU Member State, the EEA or Switzerland for at least 3 of the last 5 years immediately before the date on which a year of study commences, you may be eligible for a grant for tuition fees only. If you do not qualify at the beginning of your course, it is possible for you to meet this requirement during the course of your studies; reviewed at the beginning of an academic year. You will be required to provide photocopies of supporting documents such as income tax returns/domestic bills showing your residency in that country.

Hope I aint interrupting put you all are getting it wrong and I would like to lead you to the right path.

Cheers Michelle,

I was looking at the info for receipt of grant not fees :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Ok so I'm super disorganised :( Received a letter from them saying I was "eligible to proceed to the next step" ie; submit paperwork etc and only getting around to it now (birth cert., p60, p21 etc). Is there a certain time we have to have all these in by? Have just registered with PAYE anytime but obviously will take time to post out PIN and then request p21.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Ok so I'm super disorganised :( Received a letter from them saying I was "eligible to proceed to the next step" ie; submit paperwork etc and only getting around to it now (birth cert., p60, p21 etc). Is there a certain time we have to have all these in by? Have just registered with PAYE anytime but obviously will take time to post out PIN and then request p21.

I'd ring revenue and request the P21. It would be much quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

OldNotWIse wrote: »

Took me 5days to get my pin and then 12hours to be able to access online and then I just printed it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I'd ring revenue and request the P21. It would be much quicker.
    Jwacqui wrote: »
    Took me 5days to get my pin and then 12hours to be able to access online and then I just printed it off.

Thanks so much :)

You do not have to live in Ireland for 3 out of 5 years to be eligible for a grant. You defo will be eligible and will qualify for a tuition Fee

EU Member State /the EEA/Swiss Residents
    If you have been living in another EU Member State, the EEA or Switzerland for at least 3 of the last 5 years immediately before the date on which a year of study commences, you may be eligible for a grant for tuition fees only. If you do not qualify at the beginning of your course, it is possible for you to meet this requirement during the course of your studies; reviewed at the beginning of an academic year. You will be required to provide photocopies of supporting documents such as income tax returns/domestic bills showing your residency in that country.

So is it just student contribution he's eligible for? is there any circumstances that he could get maintenance grant? over 23 etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Moyglish

I got late confirmation that I got accepted on my course, have registration and induction tomorrow.

Only just got around to applying for a grant today as I didn't even know if I'd be going to college or not up until a few days ago.

Just been reading this thread here and I see a few people mentioned that the deadline for online applications was the 31st - I applied online today, didn't see anything about them not taking anymore applications.

Do you think my application will be ok and I haven't left it too late?

I'm really worried about not getting the grant.

Advertisement