Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Serious is This ????

Options
  • 28-06-2012 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

Is it True that criminals are using GSM jammers which emit a powerful signal that blocks intruder alerts sent by alarm systems to Monitoring stations as well as phone signals and they are buying these jammers can be bought on the internet for 20 euro and some of these have the capacity to block monitored alarm systems throughout an entire estate ????

So is there any point of having Monitor systems now and does this knock the Alarm from sounding ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Yes. It's relatively easy to obtain a GSM blocker. They work by acting as a mast and mobile phones/ gsm dialers will automatically connect to the strongest signal. So, your GSM dialer will connect to the dummy mast and when it tries to dial out it can't.

The blockers used by most burglars will only work within a small radius. To block a whole estate you'd need something very substantial.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Just on your last question re the sound, you will have to try that for yourself.
    Please be aware this is a public forum, we do not know who else may be reading this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It blocks signals to a monitoring station where a GSM dialler is used. Most installers are moving away from GSM as a reliable form of monitoring.
    A GSM jammer will not prevent the alarm from activating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

knocks ur confidence a bit

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Just a matter of moving with the times. Years ago we thought key switch alarms were secure and that was just an open close pair to arm/dis arm.
    Unfortunately some company's are more than happy to sell people GSM monitoring without informing them of the risks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 homelogic.ie

Recently I meet a rep from one of security companies. He said that their GSM module can't be blocked.:rolleyes: I was really impressed by that and interested in getting one, unfortunately he couldn't specify what "not jammable" frequency they using ;)

Not surprising, as he could not back up his claims.

Recently I meet a rep from one of security companies. He said that their GSM module can't be blocked.:rolleyes: I was really impressed by that and interested in getting one, unfortunately he couldn't specify what "not jammable" frequency they using ;)

Please note and bear in mind, you were speaking with a REP. Personally speaking I for one would regard a radio communicator as a much more secure back up. It does not at all use GSM frequencies.

I know that one particular monitoring station were very concerned about their polling GSM units last new years morning.

kub wrote: »
    Please note and bear in mind, you were speaking with a REP. Personally speaking I for one would regard a radio communicator as a much more secure back up. It does not at all use GSM frequencies.

I know that one particular monitoring station were very concerned about their polling GSM units last new years morning.

My bad - I should said a rep/technician; generally this guy meets clients and works on their sites as well, so he's not a representative like say Eircom rep where those guys mostly have no clue about technical aspects.
    But anyway, he's representing company or a sole trader he's working for, so as you could imagine his actions reflects not only on him. I could understand lack of knowledge, but this problem is going around for a some time so if they are serious about what they do, they should hear about this. If you are talking to a tradesman you assume that he knows what is he talking about, therefore you are most likely to believe in what he's saying. Question is - do they want you to know everything?

I agree about radio communicators - they are more secure at the moment, but I'm afraid for not so long. It is just a matter of time when radio jammers will be more accessible and cheaper. I believe this is the only reason why radios are safe for now.
    Again, I bet you there are good few alarm companies representatives with a technical background claiming that radio can't be jammed :)

Radios can be jammed too but the equipment to do it is military grade stuff. Very expensive and physically massive.

A burglar isn't going to spend a few million quid on a jammer and carry it around on the back of a lorry to break into someone's house to rob a laptop.

• Advertisement

Yes and no. I know what you are saying, but unfortunately those things are not military restricted devices any more. You can get radio jammer for about 200-300 euros, which I believe is still a bit of money for a teen, but not for a proffesional burglar. I'm not going to post a link to a web store, but check yourself - sadly, getting a radio jammer is hot as hard as you think.
    Polling is the only way to solve communication jamming problem.

Any chance you could PM me a link for it. Cheers.

Send.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I worked years ago in the intruder alarm industry and seem to remember some companies offering a 'belt and braces' option depending on your circumstance

A radio system, the old digi dialler and a mains siren in the hope something would get to the monitoring system and wake up everybody around .. this was about 15 years ago mind you.

Lots has changed since then thank God.
    Re radio jamming , I have not seen or heard of any instances of this. I would imagine this would require much more powerful devices compared to GSM jammers. I would also imagineinformation on the network you want to jam would also be needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Koolkid I'd say it's fairly possible ( recall what I PMed you about).... Does radio work like a wireless sensor except far more powerful ??

Does radio work like a wireless sensor except far more powerful ??

No.

My own thoughts on this subject are:

As mentioned GSM is a no no, we all know why.
    Polling GSM via GPRS is a more secure way, but sometimes the polling is set at 15 mins.
    I have not come across as yet, a radio jammer, neither has a radio left me down.
    Also there is a bigger market for GSM blockers, obviously GSMs are a consumer product, everyone has one, so before long we will have GPRS blockers as well, then the security of the Polling units will be compromised.

I do not like the idea of a client of mine being called out of their bed in the early hours of the morning because a CS has not received a poll. I also dread to think what the guy could be faced with when he turns up at his premises to check it out, I have my doubts that the Gardai will turn out to a suspected 'technical fault' type call.

Therefore I prefer Radio's, the market is limited, so I can not imagine a manufacturer developing a radio jammer for this specific frequency range, I cannot imagine many being sold.

I wonder though at some time in the future could we possibly have radios working on the band which the Gardai tetra radio system works on. I bet thats a nice secure network. Word has it that Ambulance & Fire guys will also be on the Tetra system as well. Ps I know we are not an 'emergency service', but I am admiring the security of the tetra system.

Instead of trying to rely on the guards . Each monitoring station should have there own patrol units

They do.

• Advertisement

Really ??? So why are the guards called ??

Key holding is an additional service that is offered. Mainly used on commercials.

Really ??? So why are the guards called ??

The Gardai are called when in the event of an intruder activation, it is a confirmed activation, as per their directive in 2005.
    They are always called (unless the client has instructed otherwise) in the event of a panic alarm activation.

The gardai are called because it is a criminal offence to commit burglary or for most reasons why someone would press a PA button.

The Gardai are the police service of this nation, therefore they have full powers of arrest and have the necessary knowledge and instruments to round up the afore mentioned criminals.

Security men are civilains who infairness do an excellent job, they do not at all have the same powers as The Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

kub wrote: »
    My own thoughts on this subject are:

As mentioned GSM is a no no, we all know why.
    Polling GSM via GPRS is a more secure way, but sometimes the polling is set at 15 mins.
    I have not come across as yet, a radio jammer, neither has a radio left me down.
    Also there is a bigger market for GSM blockers, obviously GSMs are a consumer product, everyone has one, so before long we will have GPRS blockers as well, then the security of the Polling units will be compromised.

I do not like the idea of a client of mine being called out of their bed in the early hours of the morning because a CS has not received a poll. I also dread to think what the guy could be faced with when he turns up at his premises to check it out, I have my doubts that the Gardai will turn out to a suspected 'technical fault' type call.

Therefore I prefer Radio's, the market is limited, so I can not imagine a manufacturer developing a radio jammer for this specific frequency range, I cannot imagine many being sold.

I wonder though at some time in the future could we possibly have radios working on the band which the Gardai tetra radio system works on. I bet thats a nice secure network. Word has it that Ambulance & Fire guys will also be on the Tetra system as well. Ps I know we are not an 'emergency service', but I am admiring the security of the tetra system.

The radio is the way forward but the most expensive and that is what will keep it out of most residential premises.

To be honest I'd prefere to have a petrol car call out from a monitoring station then have the gardai call out . 1 the patrol from the monitoring station would arrive quicker ( we know how punctual the gards are :) )
    2 . You'd be almost guaranteed that your premises will be checked where as the Gards prioritise their calls so maybe they'll come maybe the wont .

Not everyone would agree, and not everyone would be willing to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭TakeaBowSon

altor wrote: »
    The radio is the way forward but the most expensive and that is what will keep it out of most residential premises.

It is the best way forward but it is not as expensive as some people may think. They are marginally higher than GSM units to install but the monitoring charge for them is lower than the combined landline and GSM monitoring that they replace.

<snip>

If you have some general information to share with us please do so. Otherwise it looks like you're pimping for business which is not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

It is the best way forward but it is not as expensive as some people may think. They are marginally higher than GSM units to install but the monitoring charge for them is lower than the combined landline and GSM monitoring that they replace.

<snip>

In some cases the Radio is close to the price of the GSM.

How much do you pay for the monitoring through the Radio, and which company is the monitoring with?

• Advertisement

If you doubt radio is the way to go.

SOME 60 new jobs are to be created by Irish-owned security and alarm company Alarm Control 24.

Soure: Irish Times

Advertisement