Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what others think

• 29-06-2012 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

I have just turned 24 and working as a barman, quite happy with life but everyday I think I should have went to college. All my friends did and sometimes I feel like a failure working in a bar but I enjoy it.

I allways think peoples perception of me wont be much because of this or am I being silly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

You're being silly.

If someone's perception of you is based solely on what you do for a living then the problem is with them and not you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

If you're happy with your life and its outcome then so be it. Dont care what other people have done, or what they think of you. If you're happy, great! if not, then ask yourself why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

risteard7 wrote: »
    I allways think peoples perception of me wont be much because of this or am I being silly?

Pint of Stella please.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

It's a fact of life that most people will care about others perception of them.

It doesn't matter if you earn €10k or €100k a year, the big question is are you happy?

If you enjoy being a barman, then be a barman. As long as you are contributing in some way then that should be good enough for anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

In my experience. People who work in bars are a lot more fun and have far more interesting stories than people who work in an office and wear beige.

Keep being awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

I have just turned 24 and working as a barman, quite happy with life but everyday I think I should have went to college. All my friends did and sometimes I feel like a failure working in a bar but I enjoy it.

Seriously stop thinking about what other people think of you...it's only a downhill spiral if you go that route ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Would you be happy if you were still working in a similar job at 44?

That's what would worry me most if I was in your position.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

You have a job in one of the toughest environments to work in (a pub) That takes balls. Don't let my nice words go to your head though, nobody likes a cocky bar man. Be yourself. Your grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

You're being silly.

If someone's perception of you is based solely on what you do for a living then the problem is with them and not you.

I hate that platitude. It would be something that affects him, so it kind of is his problem. I didn't screw up the economy, yet it's a problem to me.

Any ways, your harshest judge will sometimes be yourself. If you dig what you're doing keep doing it. If you want to go to college, try get in. If people you say are your friends think less of you for not going to college, they're not friends, they're people you know that are ass holes.

You have a job in one of the toughest environments to work in (a pub) That takes balls.

Bit of an exaggeration...

He pulls pints, he's not a coal miner or a soldier!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Forget about what everyone else thinks, you should be proud of what you do.

Edit: Just re-read your post and realised you said barman and not batman. Ignore what I said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Will you still be happy as a barman 20 years from now? If so, carry on.

Bit of an exaggeration...

He pulls pints, he's not a coal miner or a soldier!

Fair pint, point sorry. I just imagine you'd have to put up with alot of **** in that job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

humbert wrote: »

This.

OP if you've got a secure enough job and you enjoy it, then I wouldn't be rushing to get a degree just because your mates did. You can always study part-time if you decide you want to get a diploma/degree in something.

Think about the long-term though, because you may wake up in 20 years and have fallen out of love with the trade, and it may be too late to change careers at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

humbert wrote: »

No I dont think so I would like to think I would be a manager by then like hotel manager. As it is im head barman do the rosters,cash tills and that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

You're being silly. If you're doing something you enjoy and earning an honest wage you're lucky. Never live you're life based on other peoples opinions.

No I dont think so I would like to think I would be a manager by then like hotel manager. As it is im head barman do the rosters,cash tills and that

You'd most likely to go to college in order to become a hotel manager. There's a big difference between that and a being a head barman.

Pint of Stella please.
    Its normally the dodgy charachters that are on the stella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Well in that case don't be complacent in your current job. Find out if there are qualifications you could get that would make you a better/more desirable candidate for a managerial role, and get started on that. Take on extra responsibilities in the current job if you think that will help too.

They don't call it "Wife Beater" for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

That's fair enough.

Going to college shouldn't be as common as it is, all that's important is that you're going in a direction you're happy with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Why don't you look into doing a course in (say) Cathal Brugha Street or Shannon?

Maybe you could open your own place someday?

Stellar post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Always regretted not going to college myself, stuck in a ****ty job and 25 in a few days. Hoping to go to college in the evening and gain some qualifications over the next few years though.

OP if you spend your life worrying what other people think then you will be a very depressed man, do what you feel is right for yourself!

There's no toilet roll in the loo!!!!!

Always regretted not going to college myself, stuck in a ****ty job and 25 in a few days. Hoping to go to college in the evening and gain some qualifications over the next few years though.

OP if you spend your life worrying what other people think then you will be a very depressed man, do what you feel is right for yourself!

ill get the floor staff to get you a roll no problem

Alright bro?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paddymayoman

The less you worry about others opinion of you, the happier you are. I used to be very self conscious but now i couldnt give a s**t what people think of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Alright bro?
    You can only call me bro when you win a WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

It doesn't matter what other people think. If you only think you should have went to please other people, forget about it. If you want to go for you, go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I'd hate to be a barman. In my line of work I have to listen to enough of customers crap when they are sober. I cant imagine what ist like dealing with customers who have been drinking.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

It wouldnt be a perception no , i dont think so , not everybody is academic ,eventhough i did college i wouldnt say im academic , i barely scraped passes..

think of it a lot of college people come out of college only to find they dont have work,or cant get even work exp.

thats something you have that they dont and a wage..

SafeSurfer wrote: »

I'd hate to be a barman. In my line of work I have to listen to enough of customers crap when they are sober. I cant imagine what ist like dealing with customers who have been drinking.
    I dont listen to them, you prob have to listen to them I dont there drunk. I Tell them to f*** off they wont remember.if you said it youd be sacked

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Its nice to hear from somebody who actually enjoys what they do and is content. That's all that matters in life.

Keep doing what makes you happy. Who knows even if you felt like giving college a go in the future its always there as an option, you're never too old.

I dont listen to them, you prob have to listen to them I dont there drunk. I Tell them to f*** off they wont remember.if you said it youd be sacked

Instead of telling your customers to **** off, try and come up with some banter. Your showing your true colours now, I wouldn't go near your boozer tbh. You've shot yourself in the foot there, son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I dont think most people would think twice about it, in saying that Im not sure we could be friends untill you get some sort of promotion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

You made the right choice.

Advertisement