Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not Responsible For Theft Or Damage To Vehichle

• 29-06-2012 12:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering about these signs and what legality they have.

My Dad used to always say that the car park are liable for your car once you pay them to park in it.

This doesn't have any truth to it does it? I mean, it would probably open huge floodgates due to most towns having pay parking on the streets now, so could people not argue that the State has to be liable for your car if it is damaged....I always wondered about this and I am too lazy to go researching it myself so please can someone shed some light on this area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭DollyB

No the once the car park states this they have no legal responsibility towards your car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

DollyB wrote: »
    No the once the car park states this they have no legal responsibility towards your car.

I had another little read up about it and a little think and I suppose it is fair enough. Sure if you are renting a place and your belongings are damaged the landlord cannot be held liable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jblack

DollyB wrote: »

Not necessarily true at all.

A car park can readily be found liable for damage.

This is like an FE1 type question I imagine, dealing with matters such as incorporation and unfair terms in consumer contracts etc.

It is of course conversely possible that such disclaimers are more than reasonable and then the risk will lie with the consumer.

You cannot assume that just because the sign is there that a carpark cannot be held liable.

Advertisement