Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Cooking Ideas

Options
  • 29-06-2012 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭

So I have access to a hob and microwave. What kind of food could I stir up on a hob that would be quick to cook? Anyone got any nice recipes? Something other than pasta or rice or something nice to go along with them? And I suppose healthy would be good too!

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Neeson wrote: »
    So I have access to a hob and microwave. What kind of food could I stir up on a hob that would be quick to cook? Anyone got any nice recipes? Something other than pasta or rice or something nice to go along with them? And I suppose healthy would be good too!

Thanks. :)

Do you have an oven? Enchiladas are always good and really easy to make

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Do you have an oven? Enchiladas are always good and really easy to make

No, that's the problem! :( You can but countertop ones but I couldn't be arsed with that though.

Fajitas then (can you tell I love mexican food). Cooked all on the hob and wrapped in tortillas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

scrambled egg - easy to make

omlette - you can add tomatoes ,onions and ham and mushroom to the mix

quiche - you can add lots of veg to the egg and milk mix - its very filling ,easy to make

i know this is going the obvious route but yes i will say it - beans on toast

cheese and toast

ham and cheese toast

or goats cheese on thick italian bread,pesto and olives with sundried tomatoe - easy to make

or just get into making vegtable soups - suprisingly cheap and easy to freeze and refridgerate.

tuna cheese melts in a roll

How do you make an omelette? Put eggs in a pan and then what?

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

three to four eggs(depending on how eggy you want it some people like it stronger,i go with three eggs these days to be economical) and less than half a pint of milk just get an average size tumbler glass and then whisk it with a fork or an automatic whisker,add garnish such as parsley (its optional) or salt and pepper for flavour,you can add chopped onions,peppers,mushrooms,and ham,and tomatoes,(less or more veg if you want),then heat the pan up to half way,put butter or cooking oil in the pan(could be olive oil or vegtable oil or spray oil,this is basically for lubrication..then you watch the pan for about 8 - 10 minutes),then to cook the top of it,(turn off your hob first),and heat your oven to about 200 c and put in the oven for about 15 minutes,you need time to do an omlette..

scrambled egg is much easier,you add two three eggs a glass of milk ,add salt and pepper for flavour if needed,and whisk,when you have your pan oiled heat it half way,and when it begins to cook you will see it thicken,then you scrape a spoon up and down the pan until you get a scrambled appearance,this can also be done with a fork..

this will take no longer than five minutes to do,and then you can serve with toast..

Ah, but I don't have an oven!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Buy some large spuds, peas and birds eye breaded fish. Wrap the spud in damp kitchen towel and put it into the microwave for 9 minutes, put some boiling water on a portion of peas and microwave for 4 minutes and microwave the fish for no more than 2 1/2 minutes.

Et voila! A lovely baked potato, peas and cod in under 15 mins. Can't beat that.

Omelette: Crack 3 eggs into a bowl with a splash of milk and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix it up till it's all one colour.

Put the leftovers of whatever meat and veg you have into a pan and cook it for a bit. When it's done, pour the egg over it. if the bottom of the egg is cooked and the top is a bit runny just lift the edge with a spatula and tilt the pan so the runny egg flows under the cooked bit. Grate some cheese on top and serve.

• Advertisement

Buy some large spuds, peas and birds eye breaded fish. Wrap the spud in damp kitchen towel and put it into the microwave for 9 minutes, put some boiling water on a portion of peas and microwave for 4 minutes and microwave the fish for no more than 2 1/2 minutes.

Et voila! A lovely baked potato, peas and cod in under 15 mins. Can't beat that.

Can you microwave a spud? And how would you put a thing of boiling water into a microwave, wouldn't it go mental?

yeah, spuds cook perfectly fine in the microwave, I prick them with a fork and wrap in kitchen paper then put in the microwave

wouldn't it go mental?

Only one way to find out!

IMO spuds in the micro taste nicer than oven spuds. Much quicker and no cleaning too!

And for dessert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow5n1NvS0f8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Curry - chop up chicken, fry on a hob. When cooked, add chopped onions and peppers. Cook those for 2 minutes, then take off the heat and add curry powder and flour. Stir to coat veg & chicken, then add chicken stock (or boiling water if you're really stuck), put back on the hob and simmer for 15 minutes or so. Cook rice in the meantime.

If you make this in bulk you can freeze or refrigerate some, it heats up really well in the microwave.

Curry - chop up chicken, fry on a hob. When cooked, add chopped onions and peppers. Cook those for 2 minutes, then take off the heat and add curry powder and flour. Stir to coat veg & chicken, then add chicken stock (or boiling water if you're really stuck), put back on the hob and simmer for 15 minutes or so. Cook rice in the meantime.

If you make this in bulk you can freeze or refrigerate some, it heats up really well in the microwave.

Wouldn't you need to add water for the curry or something? How are you getting curry with just powder, flour and a cube?

Wouldn't you need to add water for the curry or something? How are you getting curry with just powder, flour and a cube?

Poster said to add stock or water

But if you just added the stock, how do you end up with a curry? It's just a load of powders.

But if you just added the stock, how do you end up with a curry? It's just a load of powders.

Stock and curry powder = curry. Stock is the liquid and the curry powder is the spices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I didn't mean add a crumbled stock cube, I meant stock - either homemade or a cube dissolved in water. That's why I said water would be an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Posh beans on toast:

Half tin of mixed beans from tesco/aldi/lidl
    Handlul of chorizo, pepperoni or pancetta.
    Sieved or chopped tomatos

Fry the chorizo in a pan.

When the chorizo has browned a bit and is leaking fat and flavour add the passata, a decent amount.

Drain and rinse the beans and add them to the passata.

Cook and stir for about 5 minutes to let the sauce reduce and the beans cook. (Can add some tomato puree to speed up the thickening)

Add whatever herbs or spices you have to hand, a teaspoon of sugar. (Paprika, Basil, Oregano, Chilli)

Toast a thick slice of bread and pour the beans over.

Tesco do packets of sliced pepperoni that last for ages, they also do big rings of cured chorizo. Tesco, lidl and aldi do handy individual portion packs of panceta/lardons. Pick one of these to fry or mix them all.

Also add some frozen peas for your daily greens. I sometimes add mixed frozen veg but you might need to boil them separately before adding them to the pot as the carrots can take a bit longer to cook through.

Takes about 10 minutes and is delicious. Sprinkle some cheese over it too if you have some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Can you microwave a spud? And how would you put a thing of boiling water into a microwave, wouldn't it go mental?

Janey mack, you are fairly determined to knock the suggestions!

Spag bol is yer only man on the hob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

And how would you put a thing of boiling water into a microwave, wouldn't it go mental?

Don't put loads of water in with it, a couple of tablespoons then cover the top of the container with clingfilm & you can steam the veggies. I steam most of the veg I eat in the microwave & just use a splash of cold water & salt.

If you have a big enough pan you can do stirfrys, I lived on stirfried veg & chicken/quorn pieces/sausages etc. in college. You can make up your own sauces or throw a splash of soy sauce on it it or a couple of tablespoons of sauce from a jar.

As mentioned, spaghetti bolognese is great, simple indian dishes like keema mattar (basically minced beef & peas), chili con carne etc. Have a search through this forum for simple recipes, there are loads & loads here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Just wanted to add this link Top Ten Easiest Meals for Students 'cos I thought it might help the OP. Don't Unis and colleges organise basic cooking classes for students if they need them? Might be worth looking into!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cobear

Don't forget to prick the potatoes if putting them in the microwave..sure the popping noise is amusing but cleaning the microwave isn't fun at all! :P

Can't beat a good stir fry or sweet and sour chicken / pork etc. My sister has a recipe where the whole thing (bar the rice) is cooked in the microwave - surprisingly very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

You have to actually make up the stock from the cube, not just through the dry cube in.

Advertisement