Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Iphone

Options
  • 29-06-2012 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

I know its a long shot but, my new iPhone 4s that I only bought today was stolen.. If anyones offered a new black iPhone with a black and red bumper case on it could they please let me know.. Can send on the IMEI number on request if needed.. thanks :mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Id send on that IMEI number to the network and get it blocked (or maybe if they were obliging, go to the Guards and ask for it to be traced). No point giving them a free phone. How was it stolen?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

Sully wrote: »
    Id send on that IMEI number to the network and get it blocked (or maybe if they were obliging, go to the Guards and ask for it to be traced). No point giving them a free phone. How was it stolen?

yeah ill ring three in the morning and get them to block it! No way am i letting the c**t that stole the phone have a free phone. Also, if i had a passcode on it is there a way around that do u know? The phone is now either off or they've put it on airplane mode or taken the sim out.. still personal stuff on the phone though. It was taken from behind a desk in work

• Registered Users Posts: 28,156 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ring and block the sim. Don't blacklist the phone just yet wait until you've tried everything to get it back. If you don't blacklist it they may put a sim in it and start using it. You may be able to trace it that way with the help of the right people. If you blacklist it there is 0 chance of getting it back.
    Give it about a week and ask in the 3 store where you got it can they ask for someone to look into is the phone being used on the network and if so what phone number is using it.
    Did you take out insurance, you need to report it stolen to the Gards within 24hours if you did.
    Go back to the store and see is there anything they can do for you before calling 3, who knows the thief may be stupid enough to go in looking for a sim for it. Thieves are usually stupid so it's possible.

Any cameras at work?

Ring and block the sim. Don't blacklist the phone just yet wait until you've tried everything to get it back. If you don't blacklist it they may put a sim in it and start using it. You may be able to trace it that way with the help of the right people. If you blacklist it there is 0 chance of getting it back.
    Give it about a week and ask in the 3 store where you got it can they ask for someone to look into is the phone being used on the network and if so what phone number is using it.
    Did you take out insurance, you need to report it stolen to the Gards within 24hours if you did.
    Go back to the store and see is there anything they can do for you before calling 3, who knows the thief may be stupid enough to go in looking for a sim for it. Thieves are usually stupid so it's possible.

Any cameras at work?

but how can i get it traced? i honestly cant see the gards being remotely interested in helping me. Rang them twice tonight and no answer both times so ill go up tomorrow and report it anyways! But no, no insurance and no cameras in work..

Go have a word with the store manager before you do anything tomorrow. Reporting it to the gards isn't really going to do anything for you under the circumstances. Did you have find my iphone turned on?

You can also report to apple, if it ever goes for repair it'll be flagged http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2526

• Advertisement

Go have a word with the store manager before you do anything tomorrow. Reporting it to the gards isn't really going to do anything for you under the circumstances. Did you have find my iphone turned on?

You can also report to apple, if it ever goes for repair it'll be flagged http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2526

Yeah I'll have to go in and get a new sim card in the morning anyways so I'll have a chat with them and see. If someone knew a gard would there be anything that could be done regarding tracing the phone? no i didnt.. Lesson learned though.. always download that app first :(

paul-2008 wrote: »
    Yeah I'll have to go in and get a new sim card in the morning anyways so I'll have a chat with them and see. If someone knew a gard would there be anything that could be done regarding tracing the phone? no i didnt.. Lesson learned though.. always download that app first :(

It's 3 that may something for you, there not obliged to and could more than likely refuse for data protection reasons but if they have the IMEI and know it's stolen they can check is a number being used in the phone, if you got that info you could then take it to the police as you have a lead for them to go on. Ask in the store would it be possible, could they send an email on your behalf to 3.
    Is there only the one 3 store in waterford? They would need to go in there to get a micro sim for the phone as it can't be unlocked. They might go to carphone either so you could say it to them to be on the lookout for IMEI xxx if someone comes in for a sim.
    Keep an eye on donedeal thats where a lot of them end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

talk to your boss and try and get a cctv pic of the guy(or girl (because we have to show equality)) that robbed it

chances are they might know them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

why not use the find my iphone app, download it to pc and see if it can pick it up, my nephew misplaced his and used the app and found it it was with a taxi driver

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

Did you get a chance to set up an apple id on your phone? it would be your email address usually?

If so, go to https://www.icloud.com/ and log in with that. Once there click on find my iphone and it will locate your phone for you.

You can lock the phone or you can send a message. I would suggest doing neither, I would go to the police straight away with a location and then keep them updated with the location of the phone.

That way you can get it back.

• Advertisement

You need to have that app installed on the phone for it to work. unfortunately i didnt. Went into the three shop and they were about as helpful as a brick wall.. and to quote the girl in there "thats some dose" no chance getting the phone back, iv given up any hope i had.. oh well, could be worse i suppose.. Thanks for all ye're help! Really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

You need to have that app installed on the phone for it to work. unfortunately i didnt. Went into the three shop and they were about as helpful as a brick wall.. and to quote the girl in there "thats some dose" no chance getting the phone back, iv given up any hope i had.. oh well, could be worse i suppose.. Thanks for all ye're help! Really appreciate it!

As far as I know you don't need to have an app for that, as its a core function of the iPhone, if you requested the device with an Apple ID then it should be there.

The only thing that would stop it is if you have "find my iphone" set to off on your Location Services...

Edit: http://www.apple.com/ie/icloud/features/find-my.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Kracken wrote: »
    Did you get a chance to set up an apple id on your phone? it would be your email address usually?

If so, go to https://www.icloud.com/ and log in with that. Once there click on find my iphone and it will locate your phone for you.

You can lock the phone or you can send a message. I would suggest doing neither, I would go to the police straight away with a location and then keep them updated with the location of the phone.

That way you can get it back.

find my iphone is turned on by default in the settings of the iphone just sign in to www.icloud.com with your apple id and click find my iphone, itll either find it or wont, whats the harm in trying tbh, you might actually find it but upto you

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

shinzon wrote: »
    find my iphone is turned on by default in the settings of the iphone just sign in to www.icloud.com with your apple id and click find my iphone, itll either find it or wont, whats the harm in trying tbh, you might actually find it but upto you

shin

just signed into my brothers phone. his one isnt connected to internet but I should have fun once it is :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Sorry to be pessimistic, but chances are the iPhone has already been restored to factory settings and has someone else's SIM card in it by now. "Find My iPhone" won't help you.

The networks can tell what SIM card is in what phone if they run a search on the IMEI. Of course, if it's no longer in Ireland it's going to be a tough task contacting every network in the world.

Networks are unlikely to run a search for you anyway, without Gardai involvement, on account of DPA issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If someone knew a gard would there be anything that could be done regarding tracing the phone?

It is possible to trace a phone, however it's only done in certain circumstances, such as rape, murder, high priority missing persons, etc. Would never be done for a stolen phone.

Definitely let Apple know about it though, that would stop anyone re-registering the phone with them, but more than likely the person who stole it will be selling it abroad and it will be jailbroken, thus excluding Apple altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

if op should have a nosey through after hours here there is a thread about gardai and black taxi drivers and a missing iphone,might be some helpfull info in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

I know its a long shot but, my new iPhone 4s that I only bought today was stolen.. If anyones offered a new black iPhone with a black and red bumper case on it could they please let me know.. Can send on the IMEI number on request if needed.. thanks :mad:

Have you insurance on it?

It is possible to trace a phone, however it's only done in certain circumstances, such as rape, murder, high priority missing persons, etc. Would never be done for a stolen phone.

Definitely let Apple know about it though, that would stop anyone re-registering the phone with them, but more than likely the person who stole it will be selling it abroad and it will be jailbroken, thus excluding Apple altogether.

well the phone has been blacklisted so as far as i know it cant be used again, at all. Well hopefully not anyway! Even if i get it back it'll take upto 2 weeks to get it unblacklisted

well the phone has been blacklisted so as far as i know it cant be used again, at all. Well hopefully not anyway! Even if i get it back it'll take upto 2 weeks to get it unblacklisted
    It will still work perfectly well outside the EU, I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

<snip, promoting fraudulent activity>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

deco72 wrote: »
    <edit, promoting fraudulent activity>

Nice! :rolleyes:

I'm so fed up of dealing with this now. Its so frustrating. Friday, i checked my apple support profile online and it said a repair was set up for the phone friday morning reporting that the sim card wont work (because the phones blocked) so i rang apple and explained everything and they said they need it to be reported to the gards before they can do anything, went into the gards on saturday to see if anything could be done. the gard was very helpfull, got his details and he said to pass them on to the person i was dealing with in apple and he'd see if they could trace the IP address that was used to set up the repair. so i rang apple and was told oh, no! i cant take those details you'll have to get him to ring the apple fraud dept. so that was fine anyway, i then got a call today basically saying, why did i cancel the repair if i was trying to set it up yet again today.. so i rang the gards and explained that apple needed them to contact their fraud dept, oh no! we dont deal with phone companies at all.. Like, how pointless is this? So apple cant help me.. and neither can the gards? Sorry for the rant.. just so p***ed off. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

When I bought from the carphonewarehouse they gave me 1 month to decide whether I wanted insurance or not, can you see if you're still in your grace period when you can then buy insurance, and get it replaced?

I'm so fed up of dealing with this now. Its so frustrating. Friday, i checked my apple support profile online and it said a repair was set up for the phone friday morning reporting that the sim card wont work (because the phones blocked) so i rang apple and explained everything and they said they need it to be reported to the gards before they can do anything, went into the gards on saturday to see if anything could be done. the gard was very helpfull, got his details and he said to pass them on to the person i was dealing with in apple and he'd see if they could trace the IP address that was used to set up the repair. so i rang apple and was told oh, no! i cant take those details you'll have to get him to ring the apple fraud dept. so that was fine anyway, i then got a call today basically saying, why did i cancel the repair if i was trying to set it up yet again today.. so i rang the gards and explained that apple needed them to contact their fraud dept, oh no! we dont deal with phone companies at all.. Like, how pointless is this? So apple cant help me.. and neither can the gards? Sorry for the rant.. just so p***ed off. :mad:

Let me get this straight. The person who stole your iPhone - or at least the person who now has it in their possession - has contacted Apple to complain that the unit is not accepting a SIM card (you know that it's because it's barred, but they obviously don't) and they have a repair set up for the "fault"? If so - bingo!

If I were you, I'd suggest to the gards and to Apple that Apple request the person who set up the repair (the "new owner") to send the iPhone to Apple "so Apple can repair it" and, once that happens, you are then reunited with it.

No?

Let me get this straight. The person who stole your iPhone - or at least the person who now has it in their possession - has contacted Apple to complain that the unit is not accepting a SIM card (you know that it's because it's barred, but they obviously don't) and they have a repair set up for the "fault"? If so - bingo!

If I were you, I'd suggest to the gards and to Apple that Apple request the person who set up the repair (the "new owner") to send the iPhone to Apple "so Apple can repair it" and, once that happens, you are then reunited with it.

No?
    Yes, bingo is right.. or so i thought...you can now see my frustration. They (apple) obviously know who has the phone... iv suggested to the guy im dealing with several times that they get the phone and then send it back to the address the phone was sent to in the first place.. this would be the sensible thing to do no? of course not.. "all i can tell you is that if apple get the phone it might not go back to the person that sent it" thats all apple could tell me.. Dont even know where to go from here.. no one wants to help and its annoying that they know who has it but "cant" tell me..

Yes, bingo is right.. or so i thought...you can now see my frustration. They (apple) obviously know who has the phone... iv suggested to the guy im dealing with several times that they get the phone and then send it back to the address the phone was sent to in the first place.. this would be the sensible thing to do no? of course not.. "all i can tell you is that if apple get the phone it might not go back to the person that sent it" thats all apple could tell me.. Dont even know where to go from here.. no one wants to help and its annoying that they know who has it but "cant" tell me..

Explain that to the shop where your got it, get them to contract someone in 3 tomorrow morning and get it held when it arrives for repair to apple or fonemenders. Speak to the manager if there there. There is no reason why you can't get it back if it's not already gone back to the thief.

edit:
    If that fails.
    Somebody has the detail of the person who has it, I can't understand why the Officer wouldn't drop round, he should he's aiding and abetting if he doesn't. Apple is not a phone company, that's like the officer saying I won't deal with any business. He's being a lazy ass push him on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

When I bought from the carphonewarehouse they gave me 1 month to decide whether I wanted insurance or not, can you see if you're still in your grace period when you can then buy insurance, and get it replaced?

I'm sure they will need to have a wee look at the phone before they give you an insurance deal on it, just incase it was stolen during the grace period :pac:

I'm sure they will need to have a wee look at the phone before they give you an insurance deal on it, just incase it was stolen during the grace period :pac:

I'd be pretty sure of that too!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all yere help lads, managed to get the phone back today :) delighted to say the least

Advertisement