Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Iphone

Options
2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

paul-2008 wrote: »
    Thanks for all yere help lads, managed to get the phone back today :) delighted to say the least

How did you get it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭lassykk

How did you track it down in the end?

Did the police help you out or did you have to take it back using "other means"?

Delighted to hear you got it back... Nice to see a happy ending

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

absolute scumbags!!! sorry to hear that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

delighted that you got it back, how did you managed to get it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Kracken wrote: »
    delighted that you got it back, how did you managed to get it back?

i didnt read the thread...yeooooo nice one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

That was quick. How did you get it back in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

For the love of god answer the people !!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

What an unimaginable dope. He surely must have assumed that the phone could be blocked. I hope he is caught up with by the guards.

Congrats on getting it back! Although, is it not unusable since it's blacklisted? I thought once a phone is blacklisted, it cannot be un-blacklisted??
    ziedth wrote: »
    What an unimaginable dope. He surely must have assumed that the phone could be blocked. I hope he is caught up with by the guards.
    What if the thief sold it to some unwitting person who does not know much about technology?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

It can be unblacklisted within 2 weeks of it being reported.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Come on Paul, spill the beans.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

What if the thief sold it to some unwitting person who does not know much about technology?

That's a good point to be fair. You'd feel for someone if that happened too them.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

ziedth wrote: »
    That's a good point to be fair. You'd feel for someone if that happened too them.
    One of the lads asked me to unlock a iPhone for him. He got it cheap , iPhone 4 for shag all money. Obviously robbed , he didn't even know how to turn it on. I found hundreds of pictures of the ladies kids and I presume her father in hospital. Rang her mother and got the phone back to the girl. Friend was a bit annoyed but tough titty for him. I dont mind fixing phones but not gonna mess with stolen phones. The girl was overjoyed at getting all the pictures back and of course the phone aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

lots of great replys there haha got it back with the help of a certain iphone repair person in waterford! he put it on facebook and got a call a few hours later. a girl was after buying it unfortunately, really felt for the poor girl because it was basically useless to her as it wouldnt get service. I didnt think it could be un blacklisted either but the three shop said that it should be done in 12-48 hours! happy days :D thanks again :)
    Edit: Apple and the Gards werent interested in helping me.. The gards told me that they dont deal with "big companies" like apple. Also, three said this is the first time they've seen someone recover an iphone so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

Great news that you got it back, and so quickly. It looked like a lost cause when I read this thread the other day.

Also, I'm delighted that I have insurance on my 4s having read how helpful both Apple and the Gardai were.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Delighted you got the phone back. Pity it can't be followed up. I take it the girl who bought the phone won't be able to provide information on the seller?

I know from experience that when it's something so trivial (to large organisations) they will do very little. I also know from experience that certain companies have certain foreign procedures in place that prevent the Gardai from getting information, ie: facebook. If something happens on facebook, lets say cyber bullying/grooming, in order for the Gardai to get the information of the suspects account they need to serve facebook with a subpoena, but they don't exist in Irish law so it can't be done...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Ah I had seen the iphone repair guy posting about it on Facebook the other day. Feel sorry for the girl who got screwed, as the saying goes if it seems to good to be true it probably is!

Delighted you got it back,if I lost my phone I'd be fecked, don't know where I'd get the 500e to buy a new one, cos I definitely wouldn't be able to go back to a basic phone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

Delighted you got the phone back. Pity it can't be followed up. I take it the girl who bought the phone won't be able to provide information on the seller?

I know from experience that when it's something so trivial (to large organisations) they will do very little. I also know from experience that certain companies have certain foreign procedures in place that prevent the Gardai from getting information, ie: facebook. If something happens on facebook, lets say cyber bullying/grooming, in order for the Gardai to get the information of the suspects account they need to serve facebook with a subpoena, but they don't exist in Irish law so it can't be done...

Actually the girls father said he'd go to the gards if i wanted to but he'd prefer not to.. which is fair enough if he knows who it is like!

But thats a bit ridiculous really isnt it? like, someones property worth 600 odd euro gets stolen and they cant do anything to help..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

paul-2008 wrote: »
    Actually the girls father said he'd go to the gards if i wanted to but he'd prefer not to.. which is fair enough if he knows who it is like!

But thats a bit ridiculous really isnt it? like, someones property worth 600 odd euro gets stolen and they cant do anything to help..

It is indeed, i have a few gadgets that if they went missing i'd be well peeved, but unfortunately limited resources (even before the recession) and red tape have prevented the Gardai from doing alot. Anything that has red tape and requires a new process or law to be implemented takes years unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Yup, and it isn't the individual guards fault i'd imagine they would love to be able to pursue matters like this and get it sorted, for a level of job satisfaction

• Advertisement
Advertisement