Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird one... Glass Cooler?

Options
  • 29-06-2012 1:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

This is a weird one. I work in a small pub and I find that on a very busy night the glasses won't cool quick enough after coming out of the glasswasher. If we turn down the washer temp then they won't be hot enough to evaporate the water from the glasses. I've noticed on another small shelf that the glasses cool and dry very quickly due to being alongside a vent.

So I think I need a way to move air through/around the glasses. I've seen some posts on other forums of guys rigging up a few fans and splicing the wires from a 12v supply to run them. Think I'm going to try that. What do you guys think. Should I just get the biggest fans I can or would it be better to have more smaller one?

Thinking of getting about 3 200mm fans, putting them side by side at the back of the shelf and chancing it. Will post pics when on my comp later of the ones I think I'll get.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Opinicus wrote: »
    This is a weird one. I work in a small pub and I find that on a very busy night the glasses won't cool quick enough after coming out of the glasswasher. If we turn down the washer temp then they won't be hot enough to evaporate the water from the glasses. I've noticed on another small shelf that the glasses cool and dry very quickly due to being alongside a vent.

So I think I need a way to move air through/around the glasses. I've seen some posts on other forums of guys rigging up a few fans and splicing the wires from a 12v supply to run them. Think I'm going to try that. What do you guys think. Should I just get the biggest fans I can or would it be better to have more smaller one?

Thinking of getting about 3 200mm fans, putting them side by side at the back of the shelf and chancing it. Will post pics when on my comp later of the ones I think I'll get.

Any thoughts?

To be honest this would have more to do with the relative humidity in the room. While putting in fans may increase evaporation time it really all come to the RH. It can also be referred to as the humidity ratio. Water is 100% in terms of relative humidity as it's completely saturated. The lower the RH in your pub the better chance you have of the water evaporating. I'd get a blower rather than a basic axial fan. The flow rate is generally much smaller on an axial fan than that of a blower. http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/p/centrifugal-fans-blowers/0126587/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

I'll check them out, thanks.

The cfm on the fan you linked is only 15-20 according to the pdf doc. Most case fans are higher than that. Is there something else I should take into account?
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Opinicus wrote: »
    The cfm on the fan you linked is only 15-20 according to the pdf doc. Most case fans are higher than that. Is there something else I should take into account?
    Thanks.

Sorry, I made a mistake.
    In terms of direct flow, axial fans are fairly rubbish. I'm probably going a bit over board though in terms of application. Blowers in truth are a better evaporative device than that of an axial fan in every application i've used them in (several cooling towers) which is due to the increased pressure ratio but to be honest you'd probably be better served with an axial fan. I, for some strange reason, didn't think about multiple glasses that need to be dried. Sorry for that.

I've ordered off of these in the past : http://www.rapidonline.com/Electrical-Power/Fans-Motors/Axial-Fans

Just another site to choose from. I don't know if a shipping charge applies. I've always just sent requisition forms in.

Much obliged. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement