Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermal Compound for GPU

Options
  • 29-06-2012 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi, just want to double check something

I'm using a Nvidia GT220 and it worked fine for my games for a long time (2 years or so) in the last few months it's been overheating and crashing (no DVI signal) the error reads "no signal check video cable"

It has no problems running:
    WoW (World of Warcraft)
    Halo
    Halflife

So I jumped on google and started looking for cheap fixes, the first I found was applying a fan to the card directed from outside the computer with it's case off, that failed, no surprise there.

Next I tried using Arctic Sliver 5, watched all the videos I could find and replicated the procedure the best I could, using surgical spirits, Q Tips, and paper towels. I put on enough compound to cover the small silver plate on the heatsink with a very thin layer, and put everything back together. That hasn't helped at all.

Right now my GPU is running at 50'C (idle) and it gets up to 110'C in about 6 minutes and forces a crash.

So before I drop €150 on a new card, can anyone help me save the one I'm using?

I know the card is pretty low end, and I'm going to upgrade to the GTX 550 Ti asap, but until then is there anything else I can try?

HP Pavilion
    4GB Ram
    Quad core Processor
    Nvidia GT220

Many thanks

Vince

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you've done the thermal compound, next I'd look at is the GPU fan running properly, and overall case flow? Dust in the front vents can cause a surprising amount of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Buy a cheap case fan and try to mount it in front of the gpu that its pushing air over the gpu you will be surprised how much this can help temps . The easiest way would be with a few zip ties .

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

I clean the computer every 3-4 months and keep it fairly dust free, but I've just seen a picture of a clean pc with the front end off and it was clogged with dust and debris.

How would I go about taking the front end off to check the fans there? I don't see any screw holes or clips.

I'll have a pop at taking it off but I don't have a lot of confidence in this area of the machine.

Thanks for the tips

Advertisement