Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Randy Blythe arrested for manslaughter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Fanslaughter :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

"Walk with me in Jail"

Some funny comments....though I'm sure Randy isn't laughing too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Now you've got something to die for.

*Gets coat*

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

It seems very suspicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

^ it's starting to look that way unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

TBH after what happened with Dime, i'd say a lot of musicians are wary of people getting on stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Cill94

DrumSteve wrote: »
    TBH after what happened with Dime, I'd say a lot of musicians are wary of people getting on stage.

Exactly. That must have had a massive impact on the way security and musicians feel about fans jumping up on stage at a show (especially with famous bands like L.O.G).

Honestly, I don't object to Randy pushing the guy off stage when he charged him for the 3rd time. But the fact that the lad died from it was just a massively **** twist of fate and, in a just legal system, maybe he does deserve to serve some time for it...Then again he could get off on self-defense. Interested to see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

The blog entry seems like a load of sh1t to me to be honest, it'll be interesting to hear the statement released by roadrunner on Monday. He hasn't been charged yet anyway only questioned its going to be an interesting one having been in the Czech republic they seem like the type to take no prisoners with something like this!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

This isn't looking too good for Randy. Whilst access to the stage in smaller venues used to be a given,for stage diving and the like,it rarely resulted in trouble as fans respected the band and generally didn't endanger them. If this results in a prosecution it may see the barrier between fans and band grow as bands(and their lawyers) look to cut off any possible avenue for physical harm or potential lawsuits.

Despite the tragedy of Dimebags demise,it's still relatively easy to get close to your favourite bands. I would hate to see that change as it's one of the great things about R&M gigs,we don't need to be treated like children.

I hope there's a favourable outcome to this,both for Randy,his band and the R&M community in general. I see Slash has given it some publicity via Twitter and hopefully it gets some attention in the wider world and ends in a happy outcome for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

The "Free Randy Blythe" campaign metalsucks were promoting on facebook seems a little premature and ill-advised, as if the guy's automatically not at fault because they dig his music.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Does the venue not have any cctv the authorities can czech?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

The Randy Blythe manslaughter drama continues – The Gauntlet have posted information, footage and photos from a Czech news site that states that the Lamb of God frontman has been granted bail, but will remain in custody over the weekend while local banks are shut, as obviously neither Blythe nor anyone in the LoG camp carries around $200,000 (the amount set for Blythe’s bail) around as ready cash.

Despite some internet rumours to the contrary, Blesk is reporting that the manslaughter charges haven’t been dropped, and the investigation is still ongoing. For more info, go check out The Gauntlet’s analysis of the latest news, or head on over to Blesk and put your trust in Google Translate.

http://www.thrashhits.com/2012/06/randy-blythe-apparently-granted-bail-still-in-custody-due-to-banks-being-closed/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Can I just ask this quite possibly insanely stupid question:

Why did he go back near the Czech Republic at all? If there was ANY possibility that something would come of the incident, should L.O.G. not just have skirted around the Czech Republic?

And why did the Czechs not try to extradite him for the crime sooner??? This whole thing just stinks, IMO.

DazMarz wrote: »
    Can I just ask this quite possibly insanely stupid question:

Why did he go back near the Czech Republic at all? If there was ANY possibility that something would come of the incident, should L.O.G. not just have skirted around the Czech Republic?

And why did the Czechs not try to extradite him for the crime sooner??? This whole thing just stinks, IMO.

The only thing i can think of is that they were led to believe that it was a non-issue and that there would be no problem playing in the Czech Republic. Quite possibly under false pretenses,maybe the Czech Rep. have no extradition treaty with the US and the only way the authorities could arrest him would be when he entered the country.

http://gunshyassassin.com/news/lamb-of-god-return-home-randy-less-video-of-stage-incident-surfaces/#more-27783

Video of the alleged incident has surfaced. Does it look bad? To me, it does - if everyone who has ever been thrown off a stage has a right to sue security or otherwise for being ejected from a location they had no right to be in. Otherwise the death is an unfortunate accident as a result of his own transgressions. If they can prove the guy rushed the stage twice before succeeding then it can be argued that he knew he'd be forcibly restrained and put himself at risk. Will the audience be charged with involuntary manslaughter for not catching him?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

If anything the guy on the right (I'm presuming it's a security guard) is more at fault. He' pushes him rather hard off the stage and Randy is a party to it by grabbing his hair/head.

I find it very hard to believe that any conviction wil come of this as the deceased man knew full well that he was not to,

A) be on the stage
    B) crowd surf
    C) stage dive

As already stated, is it the crowd at fault for not catching him?

It was a tragic accident and tragic accidents happen.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I agree that it was a tragic accident but it was pretty reckless of him to throw someone into the crowd like that, regardless of the fact that the guy shouldn't have been on the stage.

Yes, the guy was at fault for being on the stage, but Randy also had a role to play in the death of the guy and he has to face some sort of trail for it. They were thoughtless actions and thoughtless actions that cause death need to be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

The thoughtless action was the guy rushing the stage. Its dealt with. I dont see how it's Randys fault that the security were letting people get up on the stage. Thats putting the band at risk.

• Advertisement

D.Q wrote: »
    The thoughtless action was the guy rushing the stage. Its dealt with. I dont see how it's Randys fault that the security were letting people get up on the stage. Thats putting the band at risk.
    Absolutely, he shouldn't have been there, but he didn't deserve to be thrown off stage head first. One thoughtless action does not make another ok.

I also agree if the security had been better, the situation would have been avoided.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge LOG fan, but what Randy did was reckless.

Grabbed by the hair - anyone else here ever been grabbed by the hair and flung somewhere? The leverage just doesn't seem right to me, and handily enough there's a video here of a guy being grabbed by the hair, and another guy pushing. The push would be more responsible for forward momentum I would think.

Anywho, if you enter a charged atmosphere where you know you're not supposed to be, you should accept the consequences. If he'd rushed a race track, got kicked by a horse, fell and died, how many people would sue the horse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

viadah wrote: »
    Grabbed by the hair - anyone else here ever been grabbed by the hair and flung somewhere? The leverage just doesn't seem right to me, and handily enough there's a video here of a guy being grabbed by the hair, and another guy pushing. The push would be more responsible for forward momentum I would think.

Anywho, if you enter a charged atmosphere where you know you're not supposed to be, you should accept the consequences. If he'd rushed a race track, got kicked by a horse, fell and died, how many people would sue the horse?

Bad example, a human should have the brains not to throw someone off a stage, who cares if he was supposed to be there or not. Unless you know of a smart horse.....

250px-Mister_Ed.png

I'm thinking I've seen singers grab, punch, headlock and throw fans off the stage (Marilyn Manson pinning a guy to the ground springs to mind). It is not an uncommon event. We all know it happens. Most everyone who has ever attended a metal gig or seen a live video knows it happens. We all know also that when you get on a stage during a gig, you will not be asked politely to vacate the stage area, because we all know you should not be there. We also know that Dimebag Darrell got shot three times in the back of the head once when a 'fan' got onstage.

Responsibility to the responsible.

If you go somewhere you're not supposed to go and get injured as a direct result of the known consequences of entering that area, then it's your own fault. You get on the stage, you know you're not going to be allowed stay there. That's why you get there and prepare to stage dive. One way or another you're coming off that stage. You get ready for the consequence. You accept you're not gonna be allowed stay up there for the rest of the gig. You accept you're in an area you have no right to be in. You're knowingly responsible for your own actions, you accept the risk of doing what common sense dictates you're not supposed to do. No one can argue he played a part in the accidental death of the fan - but the key word is 'accidental'. Lots of people have been thrown off stages.

If this is a case of involuntary manslaughter, next time someone gets thrown off stage by security or a band member, they can sue for assault?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Cill94

I've seen people flung off stage far more violently than that. It seems to be an accepted action for security to take when people keep leaping up on stage. Whether it's right or wrong is debatable, but it certainly isn't unique to that gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

that video clearly shoes Randys involvement is pretty much an afterthought. That guy was gonna be going off the stage regardless.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

According to NME, Lamb of God frontman Randy Blythe has been released on bail after he was arrested/charged with manslaughter towards last week.

The singer, who was jailed after his arrest on Thursday (June 28th), has been released after posting bail of 4 million korun ($197,492), but must remain in country.

A translated report from local Prague police stated: "We have arrested the singer and charged him with the crime of bodily harm of 4th degree and resulting in the death of the fan."

The band's management are expected to make a full statement today (July 2nd).

This is how it should be done,though preferably without taking out the singer!

viadah wrote: »
    250px-Mister_Ed.png

I'm thinking I've seen singers grab, punch, headlock and throw fans off the stage (Marilyn Manson pinning a guy to the ground springs to mind). It is not an uncommon event. We all know it happens. Most everyone who has ever attended a metal gig or seen a live video knows it happens. We all know also that when you get on a stage during a gig, you will not be asked politely to vacate the stage area, because we all know you should not be there. We also know that Dimebag Darrell got shot three times in the back of the head once when a 'fan' got onstage.

Responsibility to the responsible.

If you go somewhere you're not supposed to go and get injured as a direct result of the known consequences of entering that area, then it's your own fault. You get on the stage, you know you're not going to be allowed stay there. That's why you get there and prepare to stage dive. One way or another you're coming off that stage. You get ready for the consequence. You accept you're not gonna be allowed stay up there for the rest of the gig. You accept you're in an area you have no right to be in. You're knowingly responsible for your own actions, you accept the risk of doing what common sense dictates you're not supposed to do. No one can argue he played a part in the accidental death of the fan - but the key word is 'accidental'. Lots of people have been thrown off stages.

If this is a case of involuntary manslaughter, next time someone gets thrown off stage by security or a band member, they can sue for assault?
    Whether it has happened before is irrelevant, it should not be acceptable to throw somebody off the stage like that. I'm all for pinning them to the ground and removing them from the stage by lifting them out. Throwing from such a height is the wrong way to go about it, and is unnecessary. Does that mean that someone fighting in a nightclub should be thrown down a flight of stairs while being thrown out? No, they should be removed from the premises by acceptable means.

Again, two wrongs doesnt make a right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I'm a LoG fanboy and think Randy is one of the great frontmen. That's that out of the way. I also think he was out of line to lend a hand in throwing someone head first from a stage. I love him, hope this all works out well for the band but believe he erred in this instance.

Advertisement