Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Randy Blythe arrested for manslaughter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

He was asking for trouble and unfortunately he got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

He was asking for trouble and unfortunately he got it.

I'm afraid comments like that only damage the validity of opinion and counter opinion in this thread, however valid, I aprichate your two cents but I would ask what you mean by "he was asking for trouble" - does it have any relation to the footage released of him and his brother drinking together?

I feel mostly for the Czech Rep in all this. Right or wrong, the country might find itself on a backlash from American Metal bands, who will refuse to perhaps tour in both the country (and the larger region) as a result of what's happened here given the Metal community is such a tight knit bunch. It's the fans and the scene that will suffer most, and Industry and Trade will suffer as well, at a time when it's most needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Blythe has made bail but will have to wait a while longer before he finds out whether the authorities are taking a case against him or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

old gregg wrote: »

This is fast becomming a circus and the sheer lack of concrete information means people don't know who and what to trust

I mean, FFS, is it that much of a stretch for Sky News to go and send someone to Eastern Europe to cover this? Even the US Media are practically ignoring this...what gives?

And the lack of information, the falsification of information and persistent threat of rumours and hersay don't lend themselves well to defend the credibility of the country's legal system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I mean, FFS, is it that much of a stretch for Sky News to go and send someone to Eastern Europe to cover this? Even the US Media are practically ignoring this...what gives?

Outside the Metal community LOG are pretty much unknown. If this was Kanye West or puff daddy the whole of the western celebrity obsessed media would be camped outside the prison. I don't see his case getting much attention unless he's convicted. If that is the case then i could see some big hitters in the metal world trying to get this a lot more attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

It's all starting to sound a bit farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

I googled 'Czech law involuntary manslaughter' and found a pretty worrying story of police corruption. But then corruption happens everywhere. It's an unrelated story, but inflammatory so it's there if anyone wants a look at it.

Anywho, as far as I can see it, the issue is whether or not a man can be convicted of involuntary manslaughter when the victim can be seen behaving in a reckless manner that may have contributed more to his death. I think it's impossible to say that Randy Blythe was responsible given the obvious video evidence. Based on nothing but the video evidence, can anyone stand up and say the incident he was involved in was the contributing factor to Daniel N.'s death? His involvement in an incident is obvious. His responsibility for the death is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

don't see why Sky should or would even consider covering this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'm afraid comments like that only damage the validity of opinion and counter opinion in this thread, however valid, I aprichate your two cents but I would ask what you mean by "he was asking for trouble" - does it have any relation to the footage released of him and his brother drinking together?

I feel mostly for the Czech Rep in all this. Right or wrong, the country might find itself on a backlash from American Metal bands, who will refuse to perhaps tour in both the country (and the larger region) as a result of what's happened here given the Metal community is such a tight knit bunch. It's the fans and the scene that will suffer most, and Industry and Trade will suffer as well, at a time when it's most needed.

My comment was my opinion. I think that's it is a shame that he didn't get the message the first time he was thrown over the railing by the bouncer. If that was me I'd have thought twice about trying it again! Considering he then made it onstage and successfully dived (can't tell if he was caught though) he was looking for trouble trying it a third time and unfortunately he's paid with his life. As someone previously said it's hard to see how he would have landed head first (with the speed he was thrown off) although I'd guess its quite possible the crowd ducked and his feet caught on them thus propelling him headfirst down. Only a suggestion.

I don't agree in any way with the treatment he received and I have massive sympathy for his family but perhaps it could have been prevented if he'd used common sense. If he was drinking/drugging then of course his common sense was impeded. I just wish in cases like this people would be removed via the exit door instead of being fecked back into the crowd.

Was there any other stage diving throughout the gig by others does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

First off regarding the definition of head first: No need to be patronising. I know what head first is, and I don't see him diving head first into the crowd. But if you do then that's your take on it.
    I wasn't being patronising (at least not intentionally), I pointed out that I stated a fact. You for some reason took issue with my original point.
    It might be mildly racist to suggest this, but personal opinion leads me to believe that this country is not yet purged of it's Soviet past, and that there is still an element of corrupt behaviour in the Legal System, or at least an Antiquated Design based on Soviet principles.
    And you're basing this opinion on what? Cold-war propaganda? Any Czechs or Slovaks that I've met and asked are only too happy to be part of the EU. All countries are corrupt to a degree.
    I would imagine it could go one of two ways, either way to the extreme - either the case is abolished and Randy walks free or he is made an example of as more of a political protest and is given the maximum sentence.
    He's not a star. He's fairly well known in metal circles which in itself is a small niche. To be honest I had no idea who he was until I read the original article :o.
    I see a third scenario being the most likely: If (and it's a big if)he gets charged (involuntary manslaughter maybe?), he gets a slap on the wrists from a judge, possibly a fine and then walks free. I'm assuming of course that he has a clean record to begin with.
    there has to be a certain amount of blame taken from the individual. And, yes, I understand he's dead. But he made the choice to climb on that stage, on more than one occasion, and he made the choice to rush the lead singer when he was in the middle of a performance.
    I totally agree with this. Had he just stayed behind the barrier none of this would have happened. None of us want our freedom restricted at gigs and an overwhelming majority of us are sensible enough not to try to get onto the stage.
    Especially if a person whose first language isn't English rushes an American, post Dimebag, after that event....the American guy is in a strange city, he makes a snap decision, get this guy the **** out of my space...and that costs him.
    I'm sure you're as aware as everyone else that Dimebag was murdered by an American nutjob in an American city.
    If something like that does happen then I for one would have no problem sticking two fingers up at metal bands from the USA and making more regular trips to Prague, Brno, Ostrava etc in support of European metal bands. That is of course assuming there isn't a complete metal boycott of the Czech Republic :).
    lord lucan wrote: »
    Outside the Metal community LOG are pretty much unknown. If this was Kanye West or puff daddy the whole of the western celebrity obsessed media would be camped outside the prison. I don't see his case getting much attention unless he's convicted. If that is the case then i could see some big hitters in the metal world trying to get this a lot more attention.
    I could see this too but sadly from an "all metal-heads are evil" angle rather than one offering any sympathy. They could work some Norwegian church-burners into it as well for dramatic effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

From those videos if this is the correct footage yes the security chap was as much at fault here, surely common sense should be used here the guy is clearly battering his head all over the place who is to know for sure the Randy/security push dealt the fatal blow?; Innocent till proven guilty and on this evidence Blythe should have plenty of ground to stand on .
    On that note can't agree with the FreeRandyBlythe campaign either i'm afraid tweeting that etc. is actin the nobhead even if your name happens to be Slash, he knows as much as we do (not a whole lot!)

In relation to musicians being afraid post-Dimebag, Nobody should live in fear no matter what you do and its unlikely musicians would take to the stage every night plagued by an sickening incident that happened whats now 8 years ago.

Highly unlikely where most people work could be considered a tight knit community also but if an incident stopped a colleague from working would you stop working also?? probably not; Like you say the industry would suffer which is probably enough reason for bands to still tour that country and if they didn't it would create a niche market for the non-american bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Malice wrote: »
    I could see this too but sadly from an "all metal-heads are evil" angle rather than one offering any sympathy. They could work some Norwegian church-burners into it as well for dramatic effect.

Breaking news from Sky sources: Varg Vikernes spotted at Czech Republic gig just before incident occurred

:D

To me, this footage shows just how heavy handed people can be with someone who rushes the stage

Why 5 guys need to restrain this guy in this fashion I don't know, he doesn't look to be struggling?

Naturally those who work concerts are, at the same level as the musician or performer, doing a job that pays their wages. They're hired to do that job because they're big guys and they look intimidating (or at least some of them do) but most importantly if you cross them they need to show you (and other people) what will happen. Only in this instance it seems to have cost a young man his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

well, the guy in the metallica clip, first one, isn't leaving the stage easily, if he were just guided off politely, how many more would try to hop up on stage?

Gig security is what it is - whether it's right or wrong is not the issue, that's an argument that's gonna go on for as long as gigs do. This issue appears to be more about scapegoating the band in question for the sake of profile. If any investigation has been undertaken in the last two years it hasn't been mentioned, and if it had, it would necessitate bringing the security guy up on charges as well for pushing the victim while Blythe had a hold of his hair. It's been two years - were they just waiting to catch the Americans? Was it venue or band security on duty? The video exonerates Blythe with reasonable doubt, a ruling against him in this case defies logic based on what is known of the case at the moment.

1324931-img-lamb-of-god.jpg

Since no one has posted this photo purporting to be the victim in question I thought it would be interesting. If this is the same Daniel N then he wouldn't appear to be as dazed as some reports have alleged after being attacked and wrestled to the ground. While we're all discussing video evidence, if this photo shows the victim cognitive enough to be devil-horning his assailant, it could be argued that no previous fall dazed him enough and the incident following was the point of his injury. However, back to the video evidence, again the push from behind is the most likely source of the following accident that caused the fall.

'Back and to the left, back and to the left.....'

old gregg wrote: »
    I like the way the manager dodges the point about Randy having a hold of the kid's hair.
    Larry Mazer: ...He did nothing wrong.”
    Blesk.cz: In the video you can see both Randy and the security guard pushing the person off the stage…
    Larry Mazer: “But there is no footage of the man falling to the ground

As for the comments posted at the bottom of the article I know I shouldn't read them but I couldn't help myself. I think this one is my favourite:
    The whole country(Chezch Republic) seems to be full of idiots!!!
    No doubt by being American the irony of that comment will be lost on him :).

“No one told us anything. Do you think that I would send the band to the Czech Republic to play a concert knowing that something like this could happen? No way!”

I had a suspicion this was the case from the beginning. It wouldn't make sense for anyone to knowingly walk into that kind of minefield
    The organizer of the concert at Abaton [the club where the 2010 concert took place] now says that the Czech police contacted him three months after the boy died. I do not understand why no one got in touch with us to let us know. The boy was in a coma and then he died, and we never heard from anybody

If the organiser of the concert did know, three months after that a boy had died and an accident had occurred, then I don't understand why no contact was made. Unless the Police told him to keep his mouth shut.
    Nobody had contacted us in the last two years. My contact information is publicly available, but I never heard from the family [of the deceased fan]. We did not even hear anything about it from the concert organizer. Nobody called us to let us know

This smacks of entrapment, surely the band could have been let know, somebody could have gotten in touch - if this was in the UK there would have been (at very least) some kind of fan who leaked rumours of something like this to the band
    I was told that it may take up to 20 days — that the investigator may require more time to investigate the case

Absolutely shocking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Reading the interview with the manager, it sounds like entrapment alright. There's no reason why Randy or his management shouldn't have been contacted considering the serious nature of the charges directed at him. This whole thing sounds like an unfortunate accident that had much less to do with Randy than a disrespectful and disruptive fan and sub-par security. Let him go!

Certainly some good material in this article and if you haven't clicked the link then you should do that now
    The Gauntlet has a name of the security guard that can be seen in the video dropping Daniel on his head. We are just checking and re-checking with multiple sources before we hand it over to our lawyer to see how to proceed. Solving possible murder cases isn’t normally what we do here.

There are so many inaccuracies floating around out there by major media outlets. I won’t even get into what's in the forums and comment sections. Everyone keeps reporting that Daniel died 14 days after the concert. He actually died 29 days later according to the prosecutor in the case. Other news sites have posted that a toxicology test was done and found no drugs or alcohol in his system. This was actually never conducted. Video of Daniel on stage clearly shows him holding a beer in his right hand. The legal drinking age in Czech Republic is 18, he was 19 so no laws were broken.

Daniel's mom and uncle are pushing the prosecutor in Czech Republic for answers. His mom began the inquiry around three months after the concert, nearly two months after his death. Before that, police assumed it was a freak concert accident and there was no investigation. Feeling a bit of pressure to get some answers, they seized Randy Blythe upon his return to the Czech Republic last week. Daniel's uncle has stated to media outlet's that he is "disgusted" by how the case has been handled so far.

My two cents, I still believe in Randy's complete innocence and I believe he was snatched by police to put an end to this case. It's as much his fault as the man who cleaned the toliets in the venue that night.

Excelllent article Sticky, the kind that is needed - actual clear facts. That Blesk website looks like trash anyway, and was the only Czech site I could find, so it's good that someone is doing some real investigation on the subject. Sobering too, Daniel Nosek is dead, an issue that I myself have not been paying a lot of attention to. His death was unfortunate, but Randy Blythe's continued imprisonment is an injustice. Hopefully a reasonable investigation will be carried out, the name of the security guard will be given by the Gauntlet to Czech authorities and Randy Blythe will be freed.

I'm with Motley on this, all signs point to a high profile arrest for the sake of saving face.

http://gunshyassassin.com/news/lamb-of-gods-randy-blythe-case-has-holes-singer-wants-to-meet-victims-family/#more-27954

All the video evidence has been presented to the Czech authorities by Blythe's lawyers, the judge wants more time to review the evidence. With larger media outlets beginning to cover the story, maybe more support can be thrown behind Randy to get him out sooner rather than later.

You can follow these stories, as and when they appear, at the following link

http://gunshyassassin.com/?s=randy+blythe

It says a lot, really does...I hope this gets cleared up ASAP

^ Chris @ Gunshy is partial to his LoG, never miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Looking for donations to cover legal cost now what a shambles!!

It's as much his fault as the man who cleaned the toliets in the venue that night.
    The toilet cleaner wasn't captured on video holding the dead guy's hair and contributing to him being thrown head-first off the stage.

• Advertisement

Malice wrote: »
    The toilet cleaner wasn't captured on video holding the dead guy's hair and contributing to him being thrown head-first off the stage.

Video footage, showing the young man's injury, has been provided. In the case of the fatal throw (after which he actually headbangs for a few moments) Randy was over the other side of the stage. The only member of Lamb of God on that side of the stage was playing his guitar and didn't even notice it.

Advertisement