Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mens Fashion in Ireland

• 29-06-2012 2:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi guys..I'm currently in Melbourne at the mo but will probably be heading back to the motherland next year. And this has got me thinking seriously about what to 'do' when I get back. I'm considering opening a mens fashion outlet & I was just wondering/hoping to get as many opinions as possible with regards to the state of play re: mens fashion in Ireland.
    Was thinking the midlands/west perhaps a college town?
    Particular brands?
    Atitudes towards mens fashion retail?
    The market for young retail talent in Ireland?

All views/advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 clonmacart

P.S Please don't misconstrue this as "market research" after all I essentially don't 'have' a market at the moment. I just wanna more guage the attitudes towards young mens fashion. Having worked in the retail sector since my teens it seems to me there has been a somewhat 'patronising' view towards mens fashion...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

What kind of people are you aiming for is the real question before you pick a location.

In my view the greatest problem with menswear in Ireland is the lack of knowledge on the part of the consumer. There is almost no appreciation for material, quality, construction and fit. There is the jeans/trackies and tshirt brigade at the low end of the market and there are the brandname obsessives, who'll pay anything for Applecrumble & Filch etc. muck. Very very few people are prepared to pay for genuine quality and a lot that do have to buy accessories or separates from the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 clonmacart

For the stock/ market im going to aim for its going to be somewhere inbetween the two ends of the spectrum you pointed out above...theres plent of Jack & Jones-a-likes in the country so I have no interest in replicating that..conversely the high end market comes with high end prices..which if your aming for the 18-35 market is gonna cut away alot of your market. My aim would be to provide brands such as Fred Perry,Lyle & Scott,Zoo York,Pretty Green,Adidas originals.
    A: Its generally affordable ranges
    B:It plays into the 'casuals' fashion scene which has been ignored in Ireland but alive & well if you go to a domestic soccer game
    C: Its like gateway fashion...these brands got me into fashion myself and consumers generally go back to their 1st loves if you know what I mean.
    As for locations I'm open to suggestions..obv Dub has the market but the rents to go with it...was thinking maybe Galway- decent sized markey with not alot of comp?

Advertisement