Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you remember one thing Enda Kenny has ever said?

• 29-06-2012 4:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

I cant. At least with Bertie we had a few memorable quotes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Not one red cent, or was that eamon?

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Enda Kenny is a lying kunt.

I KNOW YORE FEARS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

In a televised address to the people: "You are not responsible for the crisis."

At a summit in Switzerland: "What happened in our country was that people simply went mad borrowing."

All you need to know, tbh.

• Advertisement

People simply went maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

''I will find you and I will kill you.''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

If you look out for it, when there is bad news Enda Kenny dissapears. He is out in force for good news then crawls back into hiding. He is minded like a thrush by his PR team. Only difference between Enda and Brian Cowen is that Cowen didn't have a good PR team shadowing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

"When the seagulls follow the trawler"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

J. Marston wrote: »

Bastard stole my line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Is Féidir Linn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭whatsup?

"sign the contract, vote Fine Gael"...still remember that one from 2007 election..

Whose your sexy daddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Not one red cent, or was that eamon?
    Leo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Young people of Ire....

There's a Klingon on the starbo....

Remember my name, FAME....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

5 Point Plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Taoiseach Enda Kenny has blamed Ireland’s "spectacular" economic crash on a "mad borrowing" frenzy.

"What happened in our country was that people simply went mad borrowing," Mr Kenny told a meeting at the World Economic Forum meeting in Davos, Switzerland.

"The extent of personal credit, personal wealth created on credit was done between people and banks - a system that spawned greed to a point where it just went out of control completely with a spectacular crash."

Twat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

He told an anti household tax campaigner in Athlone that he looked like he could do with a days work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

5 Point Plan

little did we know that 5 points was actually in reference to a pitchfork to stick up everyones hole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I always remember his pronounciation of the word treaty - tree o tee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

'Lie into the wall there Biddy.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

"but it's itchy Eamonn and I can't stop scratching it..."
    Picked up on Dail microphone during Leaders Questions 18/01/2012

May be made up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Huggles wrote: »
    Twat.
    Do you disagree with that quote!!? It is fairly accurate if you take a honest look back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman"
    At least I think that was him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Twat.
    Do you disagree with that quote!!? It is fairly accurate if you take a honest look back.

If it was true, why did he say the exact opposite at home? When people tell hard truths that others don't want to hear, we praise them for honesty & standing up for their opinions.

Except when those people only say these things out of earshot & say whatever will go down well in present company. That character trait isn't liked quite so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

no, but i can remember a few things Barrack Obama has said, and doesnt Kenny copy his homework.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

It is morally wrong, unjust, and unfair, to tax a person’s home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

"It's not your fault... but you'll pay anyway" - Or something to that effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Twat.

In fairness though that was a pretty accurate description of what happened.

Cant disagree with your opinion of him though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Vote yes for jobs.

OP has a point before he was elected he never shut the hell up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I won't be discussing that with you???????????

Im not facing up to Vincent Brown????????????

Can you tickle me again Zarko??????????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

J. Marston wrote: »
    Neeson wrote: »
    Bastard stole my line.

No, that was from another movie, "Taken to The Cleaners", an everyday story of the trials and tribulations of the Irish people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

ejmaztec wrote: »
    No, that was from another movie, "Taken to The Cleaners", an everyday story of the trials and tribulations of the Irish people.

the sequel was a hit too - "Put Through The Wringer"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

The quiff must always be pointing to Castlebar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Boom boom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

No - I am calling him a twat based on teh fact that he contradicted what he said to us 2 weeks before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

one thing.

I paraphrase........'f*ck off Pope!!!'

Notice from Chief Bogger.
    I'm banning the bogging' ye bogger's ye
    - it's in the Treeaatty

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Only really remember him shouting and screaming like a lunatic when Obama came to visit. Mid life crisis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

"Hard decisions are never easy." says it all.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

He banged on about how he and his party would be creating jobs, and managing costs that won't result in tax hikes.

And now we might even have income tax on the rise,

I'll definitly remember his performance and his parties during their term, and ensure me or my family don't vote for FG or Labor (will remount my high horse of calling it correct during the general election, "FG and Labor to power out of people simply feeling they cant vote FF, and we will get even worse by inept and inexperienced politicians)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I remember he told me it wasn't my fault, right before he told me i had to pay for it anyway, then he told angela it was my fault - apparently i went mad.
    I don't think i went mad - but then, if i was mad, i would say that. I'm confused, help me enda, help help me enda.

PS: enda's a cúnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Only really remember him shouting and screaming like a lunatic when Obama came to visit. Mid life crisis?

Enda Kenny manages to insult practically all countries of the world in White House speech
    “Mr President, thank you for your warm invitation to join you here tonight.

Fionnuala [Enda Kenny’s wife, but you all knew that right?] and I are honoured and delighted to be here on behalf of the people of Ireland.

On St Patrick’s Day, we remember our proud leaders.

Michael Davitt from my own province of Connaught.

The O’Neills and the O’Donnells of Ulster.

O’Connell of Munster.

O’Bama…of Leinster.

I can tell you, that in the history of the English language, never has a single apostrophe meant so much to so many. [Hmmm, a Churchillian reference which originally applied to the RAF during World War II “never was so much owed by so many to so few” A bit grovelling and not very Irish particularly with our doggedly neutral position in the war, but we’re only starting and it’s good to open with a joke]

Yes – there’s no one as Irish as Barack Obama. [Now this is where Enda really starts making people uneasy. For a start there are some 4m Irish natives in Ireland that would probably claim to be more Irish than Barack. And let’s call a spade a spade here – I’m no expert on Barack’s genealogy but apparently his father’s family is from Kenya whereas his mother was American-born, of mostly English descent with German and Irish figuring someplace in distant history. Indeed you really need go back to the 1850s to a man named Fulmouth Kearney to find Irish ancestry. Fulmouth was from Moneygall in County Offaly in the Irish midlands and is one of the great-great-great-grandfathers of Barack, so you could probably say that Barack is 1/32nd Irish. Of course we are very proud indeed of that 1/32nd being Irish but c’mon “there’s no one as Irish as Barack”? Perhaps we should lighten up and accept that this is meant in a humorous way but it just seems to strike the wrong note]

And Sir, they’re B]they will be[/B queuing in their thousands to tell you B]what?[/B, in Moneygall [Barack might just about recognize that placename as the small village in Ireland from where his great-great-great-grandfather hailed, but I’m willing to bet that many in the room were scratching their heads – Money? Gaul? France? Is he asking for a loan?] when you visit us in May.

Let me assure you Mr President that the news of your decision [“decision”? The US made a “decision” to invade Iraq and Afghanistan, surely a softer form of words around the idea of “invitation” could have been framed] to come to Ireland has already caused quite a stir and you can count on a huge Cead Mile Failte [I would have said that half the audience would understand “Cead Mile Failte” – which means “A hundred thousand welcomes” in Gaelic and is a traditional form of welcome address to visitors] from the Irish people.

Tonight, as we gather here in the White House…

We remember the people who began the journey for us….[when you use the word “begin” in the context of Irish emigration to the US, you should be going back to the 16th century, at least – indeed contrary to what you might think of Christopher Columbus, we Irish hold that an Irish monk, St Brendan made it to America in the 6th century]

Driven out by An Gorta Mór – the Great Hunger – when the potato….from the New World failed…..[this was hardly the beginning of Irish emigration to the US. The potato famine in the 1840s certainly directly led to 1-2m emigrants from Ireland arriving in other countries including the US, but Irish emigration, particularly to the US had been a feature of life in Ireland for centuries. Also this is where the speech starts to really descend into schmaltz – “the potato from the New World”]

In scattered lines they make for the quayside. [here Enda is talking in the present tense so obviously he is aiming for some dramatic effect]

Their only sound, the slow slap of their soles on the emigrant flagstones. [and now, he’s definitely starting to take flight into the heavens of literary language]

Herded like cattle onto ships…they know that now is not the time to cry for the typhus, or the cholera. [what does this mean? “cry for typhus, or the cholera”? Does he mean that emigrants had cholera and typhus before leaving Ireland? Do you actually cry from cholera which tends to kill you through dehydration? Is the reason they are not crying that they don’t want to be turned away from the ships at Irish quays because of a fear by the ship’s crew they have cholera? If so are they being selfish in boarding a confined space where they will infect others?]

Or for the gut-busting American corn and the savage segregation of the Workhouse. [what is this about? Why is American corn “gut-busting”? Surely you mill corn to get flour and make bread, why would the end-product be “gut-busting”? And what was the “Workhouse” with a capital “W”? In Ireland we most definitely had workhouses in many towns during the famine where those who hadn’t food or money went and, if admitted, they were given accommodation and food in return for their work. But again what does this reference mean here?]

But ours was not a self-contained adventure. [“adventure”? Does he mean ordeal?]

On another Atlantic coast, another people were waiting...[And here Enda manages to insult some 1bn people by describing Africans as “a people”. The Irish (all four million of us) are one people and one billion Africans from 50 countries and God knows how many cultures are “another people”]

Waiting to be herded onto ships.

They wait in dungeons. Blind-prison. Chained, fettered.

Husbands calling out for wives. Wives for husbands. [I’m no historical African anthropologist but is the term “husband and wife” appropriate to the very many cultures subjected to slavery in the sixteenth to nineteenth centuries?]

Mothers soothing children, perhaps, not even their own. [at this point I imagine Enda was pinching himself with tweezers in his pants pocket to portray some emotion. This is probably the depth of the schmaltz in his speech]

Singing in notes so small, they can hide among the hymns sung by their captors in the chapel overhead. [What chapel? So the slave-masters were good Christians attending chapel and signing hymns? And the slaves weren’t (see below for more religious controversy)? And what is a small note anyway?]

Two peoples. [Yes the 4m Irish people and the 1bn African people]

On the far coasts of one ocean where, in the words of our Nobel Laureate…Seamus Heaney.

“Tireless waves, came glinting, sifting from the Americas.”

Africa’s Cape Coast.

The shores around Ireland’s Cape Clear .

Two peoples who will cross that dividing ocean.

The Irish to freedom...[The Irish weren’t slaves in their own country. Sure the British ruled the country and demanded allegiance. But Ireland had its own parliament. And whilst there was certainly nothing that resembled a modern day democracy, it was hardly slavery that described conditions generally in Ireland. And just for the record, many Irish were deported to America and Australia to work as slaves eg during the Oliver Cromwell campaign in the 1640s]

The Africans to…slavery [Actually history tells us that slavery was endemic in Africa long before Europeans developed the transatlantic slave trade and in some African territories, over one half of the population was regarded as being slaves. Of course that really doesn’t take away from the point Enda is making]

Though they don’t yet know it, in time, theirs are the genes that will [“help”, presumably, unless Enda wants to insult the remaining peoples of the world beyond Africa and Ireland by claiming the two peoples of Ireland and Africa are exclusively to be credited] build America.

The genes that unite us here at this White House designed by an Irish architect.

To claim [what this does mean “to claim”] and to celebrate St Patrick who came to redeem the soul of a people...[now this is getting quite religious which is generally fair enough in the US, but see below]

And he was a slave [well that’s not really true. Although Patrick was kidnapped from his home in Wales by Irish marauders and was held as a slave for six years in Ireland when he was a teenager, he eventually escaped and fled the country. He then became a priest in Wales/France and it was some years later when he returned to Ireland - as a free man, not a slave - to spread Christianity].

Mr President at Cape Coast Castle, you said it seemed as if the walls were talking.

They might have said,

Respect,

Mercy,

Obligation,

Never…again [and here Enda has a go at the Jews who tend to own that expression “never again” after the Nazi holocaust].

Because I believe the intense, unyielding but compassionate Patrick, unites us here today, not alone in our Irish ancestry, but in our common heredity [what does that mean? It is just about understandable that Enda obviously has Irish ancestry and Barack is 1/32bnd Irish, but what is meant by “but in our common heredity”?]

President Kennedy’s ‘Family of Man’.

Just two weeks before he died he said,

“If our society is to promote the family of man, then let us realise the magnitude of our task.”

Today, I believe we are, indeed, united in this task.

Aware of its magnitude.

Whether the family of man must be promoted across the valleys of Kenya [hat tip to Barack’s Dad’s home], or the mountains of Ireland [fine but he might have promoted the Emerald Isle a little more, perhaps “green fields of the Irish midlands”], or the scattered islands of Indonesia [hat tip to where Barack spent some part of his youth], or today, in the wreckage of Japan [And here Enda insults 130m Japanese people because Japan isn’t wrecked, a large part of the country is suffering from the aftermath of the earthquake and tsunami and the nuclear plant situation remains a deep concern, but the country is not “wrecked”]

Or whether we must take it, Mr President, to all those still “huddled around radios”. [thus starts a pretty confused and meaningless passage in this speech. The “huddled around the radios” term is taken from Barack’s speech upon winning the presidential election in November, 2008 “And to all those watching tonight from beyond our shores, from parliaments and palaces, to those who are huddled around radios in the forgotten corners of the world: Our stories are singular, but our destiny is shared, and a new dawn of American leadership is at hand”]

Only this time, the corners are no longer “forgotten”...[What on earth is Enda talking about here?]

They have barged onto our tv screens, ransacked our consciousness, stormed our world. [Again, what is Enda talking about? The Middle East? North Africa? Japan again? The Mayo county gaelic football team?]

This is our task, not alone because we are leaders of our countries. [What is our task? To promote the family of man -well that’s fairly nebulous; shouldn’t a “task” be more specific?]

But because we are fathers…and parents

Teaching our children, our countries’ children about, duty, and about obligation…

The need to fight cruelty, injustice and inhumanity wherever it happens. [I may be wrong here but wasn’t that Captain America’s motto?]

Our stories, might indeed, be singular.

But we know that our destiny, our children’s destiny, is a shared prospect. [Again Enda is invoking Barack’s “Our stories are singular, but our destiny is shared” phrase from his election victory speech]

“Do as I do”. Lead, teach by example. Create a future from the unknown.

You will visit us, Mr President, in a short time.

I hope when you do your stay will symbolise the life-giving bond between Ireland and America.

We are your gateway to Europe. And I can say right here, right now, that gateway is wide open and ready for business. [Possibly the strongest two sentences in the entire speech]

And with our new government, our new mandate from the people, it’s in good, safe hands.

Mr President we meet, almost at the Spring Equinox, when new light returns to our lives. [That’s very weak indeed. The “new light” surely begins at the winter solstice in December?]

But you will come to us in May…

The start of the Celtic [true, but it’s also pagan] Summer…or as we call it…

Bealtaine…the Feast of the Bright Fires [Bealtaine of course is an old pagan festival. So although St Patrick might have come “to redeem our souls”, we’ll still mark Barack’s visit by reference to paganism. And although Bealtaine was indeed celebrated by the lighting of fires, it was also marked by bouts of partner-swapping as the villagers would go and rut like animals in orgies amongst the newly-planted crops in the fields so as to encourage a good harvest later on. Perhaps better not to mention that one here though]

And when you do you will return to your own people, your own place.

Mr President you will come…home…to Ireland. [Or more accurately, you will visit a small village in the Irish midlands where you will indeed get a warm welcome though there will be small protests against Guantanamo, Iraq and extraordinary rendition flights which may have passed through Ireland’s Shannon airport. In the main though the people will be delighted to see a visit by a symbol of change and hope (still in Ireland, even if the US has become a little unenamoured with you). You are still regarded here as cool. More importantly you represent the massive cultural, commercial and technological produce of the US that is welcomed and devoured here. Mind you, it’s not a one-way trade and the US has benefited from Irish emigration, investment, culture and indeed technology. And even though you’re only 1/32nd Irish, you represent the pinnacle of achievement in a democracy that provides opportunity to even the progeny of a shoemaker from a tiny Irish village]

So, tonight let, let the word go forth from this time and place [from John Kennedy’s Inaugural Speech in 1961, “Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans”], high and clear into the eaves of this city…[this is not John Kennedy and what does it mean anyway - “high and clear into the eaves of this city” – literally it means nothing in the sense that it is not important for “the word” to end up in the roof gutters of Washington buildings – figuratively I’d guess that he means that the word will be heard in the heavens or will be heard loudly by policy makers in Washington but if he does, it’s a clunky way of expressing it]

That the bonds between Ireland and America are as warm [are bonds warm?] and strong as they have ever been, in the history of our two great countries.

Warm and strong and vigorous

Because we are united…inspired…sustained…by our faith [our religious faith? If so better back-pedal on the Bealtaine reference above]

Our faith…in the Audacity…of Hope…[at least Barack had a plug for his book entitled “The Audacity of Hope” still available on Amazon.com for only 13.29 ]
    http://namawinelake.wordpress.com/2011/03/19/enda-kenny-manages-to-insult-practically-all-countries-of-the-world-in-white-house-speech/

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

I remember him saying "Ireland has secured a deal in principle to alleviate the country's debt burden".

He may never say anything more important than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

"Paddy likes to know what the story is"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I did not have sexual relations with that woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

'' and lets be quite clear about this ''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

As opposition leader he called for a second international airport for Dublin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement