Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you give your One Year old before bed

Options
  • 29-06-2012 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭

My one year old boy used to always have a full bottle of formula before bedtime which has always seemed to settle him before bed. But now he doesnt drink from bottles and usually has cow's milk so we tried giving him some warm milk in his beaker but not sure if it is filling him enough like his formula used to as he seems unsatisifed. What do other people give their kids before bed?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We would only finish dinner about an hour before bedtime so I do not give her anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

My son will be 1 in a couple of weeks and won't take a bedtime bottle. We have dinner at 5.30 and then at 7 he gets a large petite filous yogurt and sometimes a fruit pot. My neighbour has dinner @4 and then at 7 gives her son 2 weetabix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Dinner is at 6:30. Bath at 7:30. Stories after bath with a beaker of cows milk that we filled at dinner time, so it is room temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My son weaned off breastfeeding at 1 year so I started giving him a sippy cup of cows milk. He gets a snack in crèche around 3.30 so I usually give him supper at 6 which could be something omelette, French toast, cheese on toast, fruit and biscuits, yoghurt, fish fingers. Then dressed for bed and milk around 6.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Thank god other people have similar concerns!

I'm still breastfeeding my son and he is one in a few weeks two. Over the past two months he has got less and less interested in breastfeeding, and I have been really fretting that he wasn't getting enough milk.

We try to have dinner at 6.30, and then I worry that he doesn't eat enough as he seems to have got very picky. Then I worry more when he won't have any milk before bed. I've pushed his last feed back to 8.15 in the hope that he might be ready for it, but no joy really.

I've been debating giving him formula or follow on milk, but there is no guarantee he will take that either. He now only reliably breastfeeds in the morning.

He's not sleeping as well at night either at the moment, so then I worry thats because he's hungry! Its so hard when they can't just tell you what your doing wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

If he goes to sleep fine and sleep through the night I wouldn't worry, he must not be hungry. At around 1, mine was having dinner at about 5ish and bed at 7 after a beaker of milk. Now at 21mths she is weaning herself from the nightime milk, sometimes only takes a couple onces so I started offering a snack around 7 and she goes to bed around half 7/8. It can be toast, a banana or small bowl of porridge.
    I think they let you know, if they start waking up earlier than usual and are hungry on waking its a good sign that they might need a bit of a bedtime snack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Little My I think you should trust your little fella that if he wants more he'll ask for it. Breastfed babies are used to regulating their own appetites so they'll soon let you know if they're hungry.

Some evenings my son eats hardly anything and other days he might eat two slices of toast. I found he had no interest in his sippy cup of milk for a couple of months. Now he lives it but some nights he barely touches it.

I'd be the same as you some times and would like to give him more in case he wakes during the night but his sleep is the same regardless of how much he eats or drinks in the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My son will be 1 in a couple of weeks and won't take a bedtime bottle. We have dinner at 5.30 and then at 7 he gets a large petite filous yogurt and sometimes a fruit pot. My neighbour has dinner @4 and then at 7 gives her son 2 weetabix.

Please do not use abbreviations such as DS. Please read the charter re: text speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

He has his dinner 4.30/5pm then at 6pm he gets devon custard (only because he has to get asthma medicine with it) then some bread and butter sambos at 7pm and when he goes to bed at 8pm he gets a 7oz bottle he is nearly 2.

Advertisement