Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting music to lyrics

• 29-06-2012 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

What's a good way to put vocals to music? Is it best to do it by ear? I can never seem to find a vocal line I'm happy with. I also cant seem to decide what key is best. Any help/tips are welcome. It seems to be the stumbling block which stops me finishing a song.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭oceanmachine

Hey Musiconomist! Do you play an instrument?

I pick up the guitar and just find a chord sequence I like, I never think about keys or time signatures. Once I have 3 or 4 chords that fit well I start putting a melody on this. The lyrics are the last part id work on. This normally takes me the longest amount of time. I wouldnt be able to write the lyrics first and try fit them to melody, but maybe some people can do this.

.......................................................................................................
    Find The Ocean Machine on:
    Youtube
    SoundCloud
    Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Musiconomist

Hey Musiconomist! Do you play an instrument?

I pick up the guitar and just find a chord sequence I like, I never think about keys or time signatures. Once I have 3 or 4 chords that fit well I start putting a melody on this. The lyrics are the last part id work on. This normally takes me the longest amount of time. I wouldnt be able to write the lyrics first and try fit them to melody, but maybe some people can do this.

.......................................................................................................
    Find The Ocean Machine on:
    Youtube
    SoundCloud
    Facebook

Hey. Yeah, I play guitar. I dont know what it is, but I just seem unable to fit the vocals with the melodies I come up with. Maybe it's something I just have to keep doing over and over until I'm happy with it. Probably one of those own-worst-critic things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 CrimsonSounds

Hi There !

Do you mean you have a lyric, and then try to come up with a melody for it ?

I find it way easier to come up with the melody, and then the lyric.

In saying that, I sometimes also write a lyric & melody (maybe just one line, or two lines of the chorus) and that's all I have. Then flesh out around it either side.

For me, lyric first, then melody , you need to work from the rhythm of the words as they will dominate the number of notes in the melody and often the lenght of the line (though not always the length of the line if you spill onto the next line lol).

Advertisement