Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Position Help

Options
  • 29-06-2012 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭

I was offered a load of a TT bike for the Hardman, and currently trying to get a "good position" on it, So I am putting my fear of ridicule aside and hope there may be some pointers, changes.

so any thing (within reason :D) would be appricated

7465739954_406c89a3e8_b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

BennyMul wrote: »
    I was offered a load of a TT bike for the Hardman, and currently trying to get a "good position" on it, So I am putting my fear of ridicule aside and hope there may be some pointers, changes.

so any thing (within reason :D) would be appricated

photostream

Saddle is too high and bars too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Have a look here and here

I'd agree with BTH's comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Bikes too big for you.

yes you could drop the saddle and slap on a tiny stem but I suspect that the top tube is just too long for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

think right angles to support body weight
    -elbow
    -shoulder

IMHO

try (you might just squeeze into that frame!!)
    -bringing saddle forward (then adjust height)
    -bar ends shorter and raise if possible (for comfort)
    -if your not used to aero position raise bars to top of spacers and shorter stem if you can, that position will kill your neck and back, go for comfort over aerodynamics (especially for hardman distance and with this little time to get used to position and for same reason if it doesn't work for you go back to road bike)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

thanks all,

I knew the frame was too big (tis a large), but figured it was worth a shot to try and get a position,
    I will drop the saddle and look for a shorter stem and see what I can do, I will move back to the road bike tonight and take a pic of that,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

@ Bennymul, while the loan of the bike is tempting, I would be inclined to avoid it at this late stage. If you are going well so far why change? I have been using clip on tri bars since I started training in Feb and don't have any pains etc using them but to be honest I don't know if I will be any faster on the day using them so I might take them off and just use the normal road bike positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

albeit bike seems a bit too big it can be made fitting ok shorten the stem and bring it up and this is a great borrowed bike and it will cost you 30 euro if you buy a bbb stem. (looks like for the owner the bike is too small as the stem looks like 110 - 120 mm long.
    if your other bike is a road bike i would go for the change of bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Saddle too high, reduce stem by about 10 to 20mm and i would also bring bars back a bit. Far too strectched out on that bike. Do think the bike is slightly big but those changes should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

@ Bennymul, while the loan of the bike is tempting, I would be inclined to avoid it at this late stage. If you are going well so far why change? I have been using clip on tri bars since I started training in Feb and don't have any pains etc using them but to be honest I don't know if I will be any faster on the day using them so I might take them off and just use the normal road bike positions.
    I know its getting late, but if I can get the position sorted "soon" I should be able to get used to it, and a bit off greed looking for the extra bit of time it could bring,
    Also it is a far nicer bike than my current one, and if your no good then you have to look good :)

peter kern wrote: »
    albeit bike seems a bit too big it can be made fitting ok shorten the stem and bring it up and this is a great borrowed bike and it will cost you 30 euro if you buy a bbb stem. (looks like for the owner the bike is too small as the stem looks like 110 - 120 mm long.
    if your other bike is a road bike i would go for the change of bike.
    Saddle too high, reduce stem by about 10 to 20mm and i would also bring bars back a bit. Far too strectched out on that bike. Do think the bike is slightly big but those changes should help.

Thanks JB, Peter,
    My current bike is a road one, where I fitted a tri bars and cow horn (base bars) I am going to move these over as I can have a 20mm stem with the adjustment, was holding off on this as it means taking 2 bikes apart,

As for the saddle, I am nervous changing this as this is the same as my road bike and like that for way too many years. will try and get the bars right then look at that.

again thanks for the help.

Advertisement