Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting and Crochet on a plane

• 29-06-2012 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,
    I'm going on holidays later in the summer and I'm wondering if I can take needles or crochet hooks on a plane. Speaking to people in my knitting group has given me various answers, some say you can, and they have done so, take circular knitting needles and plastic crochet hooks but anything metal is out of the question. Does anyone have any experience of taking knitting needles and crochet hooks on planes. I have seen people knitting on planes and I am wondering if there is a list of rules or is it up to what ever security guard you encounter in the airport?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Hi mystery lady

I took a sewing needle on a plane, actually more of a darning needle (metal) and I was sewing away and fully expected the needle to be confiscated off me, but wasn't.

I would say plastic needles are fine, but don't quote me. Maybe if you ring the airline that you're flying with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

Ok so I was advised to buy wooden, keep them in a pencil case. Also have a stamped and addressed envelope with you so you can post them back to you if you have problems.

I had no problems flying to the US. The air hostess asked me to put my hooks away for take off and landing in case I stabbed myself but other then that she seemed to be pretty used to seeing people do it on flights.

Have a great holiday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

I've flown with plastic needles and got some funny looks but it was ok. I've done some reading on it since some airport security will take any needles plastic or not, depends on the airport.
    I've since been advised to bring inter-changable circular needles with the plastic tips. Bring the end caps so if they take the needles, you will still have your knitting on the cable.
    HTH have a lovely holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

I flew from Shannon to Heathrow to Hong Kong to Auckland to Palmerston North and return in January and March of this year with Aer Lingus, Cathay Pacific and Air NZ. I had a metal circular needle with plastic cord and a metal Darning needle (this was tucked into my wallet.) I had no issues or even any comments made. I also probably had a metal stitch holder. (though I cant remember for sure)

I had done some research online first. Heathrow will allow needles through as per their website. I had printed off a copy of this and carried it with me just encase questions where asked. My understanding is that it is up to the individual Airports and Airlines to have their own policy and procedures on carriage of needles.

I would advise researching your airlines and transit airports. Start with a web-site search and if still in doubt email them. Do print off a copy of Heathrow's guideline as this may help with other airports. (If I remember correctly I had to google search their web-site to find the specific guideline.)

I do not crochet so I cant advice there, but think I my have read that it can be slightly more difficult than knitting needles.

Bring some spare wool encase you need to hand over the needles, at least you will be able to transfer the project itself onto this and hang onto it until you can get needles at your final destination.

Good luck! and Happy knitting in flight!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 grumpygrizzly

I've carried a 'hat' sized nifty knitter from ProvoCraft on a few trips. Even knitted a hat on a two hour trip with plenty of time to spare.

I think the stewardesses were more amazed that here was a 50 y/o bearded man knitting hats than the metal needle I was using to pull the loops over the pegs with.

I've carried my looms all over bush village in Alaska but, there are pretty much no security requirements in the remote villages.

My last trip over here I carried all my bracelet making gear in a checked bag because it's just too large to pull out my easle I use for making my lacrosse cord bracelets. I could have carried quite a few bracelet kits ready to tie but, I don't use any tools for them, except a long pair of surgical clamps to get into the tight knots..

I don't think the clamps have made the 'no fly' list yet but, even if I lost them, I'd only be out a couple of euros..

One helpful hint when traveling with your yarn is to get some vacuum sealer bags and really shrink it all down as flat as you can, that way you can carry a lot more when you travel..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 2Cents

I've crocheted on a plane with a wooden hook. No problem. I see no reason at all why a crochet hook would be worse than a knitting needle. The top is very blunt as long as it's not a tiny metal one. My 2mm metal one does look a bit stabby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

a 50 y/o bearded man knitting hats

you need to meet my neighbour and join his club!!
    http://www.haumoana.com/images/hmkc02.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    you need to meet my neighbour and join his club!!
    http://www.haumoana.com/images/hmkc02.gif[/QUOTE]

Where is your neighbour (or yourself from?)
    Right kiwi sound to that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I was just searching this myself, flying with Air Canada in a couple of months and have a 10 hour layover so would love to take something to do. They have the info on their website of whats allowable as carry on luggage.

"Plastic knitting needles with rounded tips"

So I'd say just check with whatever airline you are with. I like the advice of having this printed out also, as security staff may not be aware of each airline's policy.

Advertisement