Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help soggy lawn

Options
  • 29-06-2012 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi, hoping someone can give me some advice as I haven't a clue.
    A few years ago we decided to level the lawn, in doing so we removed a lot of the topsoil. Since then the lawn in parts becomes a muddy mess after raining.

So was wondering if I ordered some topsoil could i just put it on top of the existing grass or would I have to dig it all up. I'm not looking for a perfect lawn just one that is usable for the kids.
    I wouldn't be putting drains in either, just trying to rectify our mistakes on a budget!
    Any advice appreciated Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭irish_bhoy82

Kinda working on my own Lawn at the moment, and Like you i am trying to do it under a budget with out completely digging the whole lot up...first what you just need to check is you soggy soil issue, cause if you throw top soil on top of it, your still going to have water logging in that part of the lawn. I would first spike your lawn with a fork that will help the water seap down through the soil instead of logging hopefully. Now the next part is something I am looking into my self, after spiking the lawn, get some Lawn dressing or Lawn sand(Im still trying to figure out where I can get this) its a special sand for lawns thats not too fine and wont damage the existing grass. the idea is to put a layer of this on and brush it into the pores from the fork, the sand will keep these pores open in order to maintain the drainage, you dont have to put too much on ...too much would be covering the existing grass. This might sort out your soggy lawn issue. I still am currently looking for a supplier for this type of sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ycul

Thanks for that, I'll keep an eye out for that sand, and post back here if I find any. Hopefully that along with some topsoil will sort it out.

Advertisement