Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oz Visa Update

Options
  • 29-06-2012 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hello All,

July 1st will see major changes to the visa application process for Australia for those seeking more long term visas.

Skilled Visas are under the SkillSelect system - see Skillselect on www.immi.gov.au. The biggest change is a LOWER passmark of 60 points and an INVITATION to apply process.

The Skills Lists are listed under what is termed Schedule 1 and Schedule 2.

Schedule 1 is the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) and is used to determine eligible occupations for non-sponsored or nominated skilled migration purposes.

Schedule 2 is the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List (CSOL) which is a single list of occupations for employer sponsored and State / Territory nominated skilled visa Subclasses. The CSOL replaces the Employer Nominated Scheme (ENS), Temporary Business (Long Stay - Subclass 457), and General Skilled Migration (GSM) State / Territory nominated Skilled Occupations Lists.

Some TIPS

- securing a temporary employer sponsored visa does not AUTOMATICALLY lead to permanent residency - so plan your long term visa route carefully
    - The CSOL is the main list for the state/territory visa subclasses however you will need to check the skills shortage lists for each state before commencing down the application process
    - aim for the highest points possible under the new skillselect program
    - your points under skillselect are locked in at the point you receive an invitation to apply from DIAC (Department of Immigration)
    - the 12 out of 24 months work experience criteria is no longer required under the visa application criteria however ALWAYS check the work experience criteria of the skill assessing bodies and if relevant, the state/territories

Need HELP?

- visit www.immi.gov.au
    - seek the advice of a registered migration agent from www.mara.gov.au - remember it is the individual who is registered not a company and always ask what experience and success they have had with your visa type

Good Luck Everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Thanks Liz,

Ill pass this info onto my brother in law who is in New Zealand and looking to head to Australia.

He is currently under the impression that he has to work 12 months out of the last 24 as a painter so this might be good news to him.

He has about 10 years experience but has been out of work in Ireland recently so didnt qualify because of the recent work expereince.

By the way, I have recently been granted my 175 visa, how long do I have to wait before I could sponser him on a 176 as a family member (of my wife)?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Hi Liz, I started work with a car dealer over a week ago and said after I pass a 3 month trial they will sponser me. Im a car mechanic by trade and the croud I work for are AHG if that makes a difference. Do you think I will be effected by this? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭LizOHagan

bigbadcon wrote: »
    Thanks Liz,

Ill pass this info onto my brother in law who is in New Zealand and looking to head to Australia.

He is currently under the impression that he has to work 12 months out of the last 24 as a painter so this might be good news to him.

He has about 10 years experience but has been out of work in Ireland recently so didnt qualify because of the recent work expereince.

By the way, I have recently been granted my 175 visa, how long do I have to wait before I could sponser him on a 176 as a family member (of my wife)?

Your brother will need to see if he can satisfy TRA criteria before getting too excited about the new visa program. From hereon there is less focus on family sponsorship and this is now really for temporary visas - so if someone is eligible for PR they should in my view always go down that route.

Plug wrote: »
    Hi Liz, I started work with a car dealer over a week ago and said after I pass a 3 month trial they will sponser me. Im a car mechanic by trade and the croud I work for are AHG if that makes a difference. Do you think I will be effected by this? Thanks.

It all depends on what occupation they are sponsoring under . In general always go for PR over Temporary Visa as this gives you much more freedom and certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

SO does this mean it will be easier for people like me to get a visa. people like me being a recent masters graduate in an field which is on the critical skills list who has 12 months experience in the field but which was over the 36 months during and after university?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

LizOHagan wrote: »
    It all depends on what occupation they are sponsoring under . In general always go for PR over Temporary Visa as this gives you much more freedom and certainty.
    Car mechanic(technician). So if I opt for a temporey visa I can't get a PR or can I after 2 years? I think I'll apply for PR first if thats the case. Thanks.

Plug wrote: »
    Car mechanic(technician). So if I opt for a temporey visa I can't get a PR or can I after 2 years? I think I'll apply for PR first if thats the case. Thanks.

Hello Plug

You really need to evaluate your PR options first and then if there is no viable route forward then consider Temp residency. It is a matter of qualifications, work experience, age etc that will dictate best way forward. Contact a competent migration agent from www.mara.gov.au to review your case.

Good Luck...Liz

danotroy wrote: »
    SO does this mean it will be easier for people like me to get a visa. people like me being a recent masters graduate in an field which is on the critical skills list who has 12 months experience in the field but which was over the 36 months during and after university?

Not necessarily easier as it really does depend on your occupation, the criteria set by the skill assessing body and your points score. In most cases pre qualification experience cannot be counted but it does depend on the occupation.

Looks like a lot of the skilled migration visa types are now cancelled according to the Ozzie Immigration website...

Glad I got my 175 sorted before this. :D

LInk here...

The following visas are closed to all new applications from 1 July 2012:

Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)
    Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)
    Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 475)

The following visas will be closed to all new applications from 1 January 2013:

Skilled – Sponsored (Residence) Visa (Subclass 886)
    Skilled – Independent (Residence) Visa (Subclass 885)
    Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 487)

Skilled visa options are available in SkillSelect.

Looks like a lot of the skilled migration visa types are now cancelled according to the Ozzie Immigration website...

Glad I got my 175 sorted before this. :D

LInk here...

The following visas are closed to all new applications from 1 July 2012:

Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)
    Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)
    Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 475)

The following visas will be closed to all new applications from 1 January 2013:

Skilled – Sponsored (Residence) Visa (Subclass 886)
    Skilled – Independent (Residence) Visa (Subclass 885)
    Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 487)

Skilled visa options are available in SkillSelect.

They have been replaced with new subclasses under the SkillSelect program as per my update above.

• Advertisement

They have been replaced with new subclasses under the SkillSelect program as per my update above.

I thought the rules were changing for these. Didnt realise they were being completely replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I thought the rules were changing for these. Didnt realise they were being completely replaced.
    it's quite normal the 175 Visa has only been in operation in the last 3 to 4 years this visa will get replaced and switch with new numbers visa in time

Can I ask a stupid question....

With this new skilll select application can you apply an EOI for a sponsored visa (state or employer (not family)) without having a sponsor already organised?

Im wondering is the point of the skills select application that employers will look at your application and decide they will sponsor you or can you only apply for this if you have the sponsor pre arranged and ready to go....

Im giving my brother in law a hand with this. He can get 60 or 70 points in the 489 when sponsored by a relative (70 if he gets 7 in IELTS).

He could also get 60 in the 189 (if he gets 7 in IELTS).

So if he has the points but no employer to sponsor him can he apply for an EOI in the 190 for example?

Thanks in advance

Can I ask a stupid question....

With this new skilll select application can you apply an EOI for a sponsored visa (state or employer (not family)) without having a sponsor already organised?

Im wondering is the point of the skills select application that employers will look at your application and decide they will sponsor you or can you only apply for this if you have the sponsor pre arranged and ready to go....

Im giving my brother in law a hand with this. He can get 60 or 70 points in the 489 when sponsored by a relative (70 if he gets 7 in IELTS).

He could also get 60 in the 189 (if he gets 7 in IELTS).

So if he has the points but no employer to sponsor him can he apply for an EOI in the 190 for example?

Thanks in advance

Hello .....this is certainly not a silly question as the new program is very different to what we have all been used to.

In general terms applicants lodge the EOI without any sort of Sponsor and then

- some may get offered sponsorship from an employer
    - some may go and apply for state sponsorship

A 489 is a temporary visa and the 189 is permanent visa so the permanent visa is always better.

So your brother in law would

- do ielts
    - do skill assessment
    - review state sponsorship options to see if he applies before or after EOI
    - lodge EOI
    - wait for Invitation

There are occupation ceilings so time is of the essence as competition will be strong for alot of occupations.

Thanks for that Liz,

So according to the new skill select guidelines you no longer need 12 months from the last 24 recent experience but it looks like the TRA are looking for 12 months experience from the last 24 so it doesnt seem like it makes any difference...

Thanks for that Liz,

So according to the new skill select guidelines you no longer need 12 months from the last 24 recent experience but it looks like the TRA are looking for 12 months experience from the last 24 so it doesnt seem like it makes any difference...

The criteria of the skill assessing bodies varies so in some cases DIAC removing 12/24 months work criteria will be good news..sadly not for TRA applicants....

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭niva*sis

Hello All,

July 1st will see major changes to the visa application process for Australia for those seeking more long term visas.

Skilled Visas are under the SkillSelect system - see Skillselect on www.immi.gov.au. The biggest change is a LOWER passmark of 60 points and an INVITATION to apply process.

The Skills Lists are listed under what is termed Schedule 1 and Schedule 2.

Schedule 1 is the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) and is used to determine eligible occupations for non-sponsored or nominated skilled migration purposes.

Schedule 2 is the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List (CSOL) which is a single list of occupations for employer sponsored and State / Territory nominated skilled visa Subclasses. The CSOL replaces the Employer Nominated Scheme (ENS), Temporary Business (Long Stay - Subclass 457), and General Skilled Migration (GSM) State / Territory nominated Skilled Occupations Lists.

Some TIPS

- securing a temporary employer sponsored visa does not AUTOMATICALLY lead to permanent residency - so plan your long term visa route carefully
    - The CSOL is the main list for the state/territory visa subclasses however you will need to check the skills shortage lists for each state before commencing down the application process
    - aim for the highest points possible under the new skillselect program
    - your points under skillselect are locked in at the point you receive an invitation to apply from DIAC (Department of Immigration)
    - the 12 out of 24 months work experience criteria is no longer required under the visa application criteria however ALWAYS check the work experience criteria of the skill assessing bodies and if relevant, the state/territories

Need HELP?

- visit www.immi.gov.au
    - seek the advice of a registered migration agent from www.mara.gov.au - remember it is the individual who is registered not a company and always ask what experience and success they have had with your visa type

Good Luck Everyone!

Hi Liz,

I have gotten some useful information on these forums and yours is also very good. Im just wondering if i could ask you a question.

I am going to try to apply for the 189 visa (On my own), i am on a 457 as a database administrator, so my issue is to try to find something on the SOL list that i will fall in under.

My current title - Database Administrator is on the CSOL - ANZSCO 262111
    System Analyst is on the SOL list - ANZSCO 261112

Do you think i would be heading down the right road going as system analyst?
    My degree is a BA in Information Systems Management.

Otherwise, i would like to try get on the WA skilled migration list for a 190 visa but there are not as much options.
    The only thing that would seem to come some bit close on that is the Program Administrator.

I really want to get my visa application underway but this is the thing that is stopping me and i dont want to make an error!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Niva*sis

Advertisement